Author Topic: My RPG Project  (Read 5000 times)

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
Re: My RPG Project
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-10 00:23:11 »
Howdy,
first of all I'd like you to consider if you really need 3D. Sometimes sticking to 2D makes better effect and even mediocre 2D visuals it get old really slow. You seem pretty good at drawing so you shouldn't have much problems making sprites.
Consider storytelling style, some storyline outline, and features that would need 2D or 3D to help you decide. You can make awesome game without jump into popular full 3D(example: The World Ends With You). 
If you're already sure you'll stick with 3D(or 3D for that matter) it's important to pick what language you want to make it or determines what group of engines you could use. If you're planning making your own engine I'd suggest to consider it toroughfully. It's tough piece of bread and there are pretty open source cool engines available in the net(example: Panda3D).

It's hard to suggest you something, you didn't elaborate much about your project, needs and actual resources.

Garland_Ilferet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-10 03:00:40 »
i really want to make 3D.. well, i don't know how to make sprites, too difficult for me...
i'm going to make two version.. english language and indonesian language, cuz nobody in indonesia has tried making a 3D Role Playing Game..
i'm not planning to make my own engine

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-10 03:29:10 »
writing an engine for an rpg isn't difficult at all. The flexibility that comes with writing your own engine is crucial to making a good, unique RPG.

Garland_Ilferet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-10 03:30:24 »
ehm.. how? any tutorial?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-10-10 03:50:33 »
well i can't tutorial you on programming as a concept...but I can tell you that in order to make an engine for an RPG in the simplest form you need 4 things:

1) A screen/a canvas/a window/whatever you want to call it. something that can take in several images, draw them in specified locations, refresh at a given rate, and accept keyboard/mouse/controller input. (many languages will provide you with some primitive form of this)
2) An algorithm for reading images/sprites/backgrounds: take in a file, cut out transparency color (usually hot pink or lime green) and send to (1)
3) A player character "object" that can interact by as per input from (1).
4) Other objects similar to (3) that cannot be controlled by keyboard/mouse/controller input.

I understand that that's kind of abstract, but if you start coding with those 4 things in mind (assuming you've got enough experience with whatever language you're using), things will eventually fall into place.

Garland_Ilferet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-10-10 07:58:28 »
geez.. i could die in confusion.. just tell me any engine that you know

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-10-10 13:34:24 »
I guess he don't want to mess up with programming, just artworks and storyline. Am I Right?

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: 2009-10-10 13:48:00 »
I've seen a couple of programs out there, that apparently work (i think one was called 3DRad) but i really think it's necessary to learn a programming language before attempting to make an entire RPG in 3D.
I love how you have Artwork and models already made, too :D they're pretty epic too.
IIRC, blender can make 3D games if you know Python, but i've heard it doesn't work so well for stuffl ike RPG's either. so yeah in my opinion, you're gonna need to learn a programming language, if you don't know one already.

Garland_Ilferet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-10-10 17:43:45 »
hohoho...

so neo kuraudo-san... are you willing to teach me? :3

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: 2009-10-10 19:01:18 »
Hehe, the things i could do if i knew a programming language...
Suffice to say, we'd probably have modelviewers and extractors/decompilers and whatever we need for pretty much everything.
Sadly, this is not the case. I may come across like i know lot's, but i can't teach you what i dont know anything about myself.
Also, i'm the worst teacher in the world, so even if i was a programming God...

Garland_Ilferet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-10-10 19:06:18 »
alright then.. i shall find engines