Author Topic: FF8 Enhancing  (Read 222170 times)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Re: STICKY: FF8 Enhancing
« Reply #100 on: 2008-06-23 17:17:14 »
Do you have Anti-Aliasing turned on?

jakeslogan

« Reply #101 on: 2008-06-23 18:21:31 »
Do you have Anti-Aliasing turned on?
I turned it on and off and the result is the same. :oops:

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2008-06-23 18:27:51 »
Maybe try re-installing/updating your drivers?

jakeslogan

« Reply #103 on: 2008-06-24 01:43:15 »
Hey, thank you very much, that has fixed it.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2008-06-24 13:45:37 »
Hey, thank you very much, that has fixed it.

Its usually something to do with graphics drivers. It happens to me quite a lot because of my stupid ATI Radeon card. Its old. I need a new one...

inhuman_za

« Reply #105 on: 2008-07-17 15:34:55 »
Hi, I don't quite know the politics of the site (new user) but I was wondering if this cool program would get the 8-bit paletted texture fix (the one magixts made for his FF8 launcher). The reason I ask is that I get the black block textures when using this program, but with FF8 launcher I do not, but I wish to have the ability to play FF8 with the better soundfonts that FF8 configurator allows. It would be awesome if these two programs could merge into one, but thats probably a nightmare of a job.

Thanks

moetown

« Reply #106 on: 2008-09-07 17:59:52 »
Hey!Since i installed the new configuration tool i have problems withe the sound of the game,the sound effects are still played,but no music anymore.I deleted the configuration tool and reinstalled ff8,but it didn't work.So I searched the web and found another guy with the same problem.Can anyone tell me how i can get rid of this configuration tool and get the game's music back?I've tried all posibilities,and I don't know any other idea......

TomZ

« Reply #107 on: 2008-09-22 18:40:58 »
« Last Edit: 2008-09-23 08:09:38 by TomZ »

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2008-09-22 23:34:20 »
Read the rules.

Fox the Sly

« Reply #109 on: 2008-12-20 02:41:29 »
What up, peoples. I had the same problem with the black boxes as well, but launcher 1.3 fixed that. I had to leave Expert Mode off otherwise I'd get horizontal lines everywhere. Initially, running the launcher caused the FF8.exe to crash on me (whereas it started up fine without), but I read that the game uses EAX.dll and we know that Vista and EAX don't mix due to Vista's handling of audio, so I used Creative's ALchemy 1.20.04 on it, and the launcher worked perfectly.  :-D

Screens, 1600x1200, 16x Anti-Aliasing, 16x Anisotropic Filtering (lulz... AF on pre-rendered backgrounds haha)

System Specs:

Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @ 2.62GHz OC
G.Skill 2GB 800 PC6400
PNY GeForce 8800GT OC w/ ForceWare 181.00 Beta
Sound Blaster Audigy SE (modded to X-Fi Xtreme Audio) w/ Creative ALchemy
Biostar AM2 NF520-A2
Monitor: Westinghouse L2410NM 1920x1200

Thanks magixts!
« Last Edit: 2008-12-20 03:00:30 by Fox the Sly »

Jonnylossus

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2008-12-20 06:07:41 »
System Specs:

Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @ 2.62GHz OC
G.Skill 2GB 800 PC6400
PNY GeForce 8800GT OC w/ ForceWare 181.00 Beta
Sound Blaster Audigy SE (modded to X-Fi Xtreme Audio) w/ Creative ALchemy
Biostar AM2 NF520-A2
Monitor: Westinghouse L2410NM 1920x1200

Thanks magixts!

How did you do that on Vista? I don't have MIDI-Support under Windows Server 2008.. But if it is possible to have that with Vista, i maybe can have it with WS2k8 too..

I get an error message if i want to open the Config. :(

Fox the Sly

« Reply #111 on: 2008-12-20 07:30:36 »
Honestly, I'm not really sure. I know I have two DLL packs installed, maybe that's it.

Archer Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2009-01-25 21:14:28 »
I'd like to add that if anyone has problems with instruments not playing in Vista (and they sure do because of how Vista handles audio) especialy when using custom DLS (like Samuel's) there is a way to fix it by putting an "old" dmsynth.dll (aka Microsoft Synthesizer) file in the game directory. The file can be downloaded here.
I tested this on 64bit Vista and it works like a charm.
This dll file and the marvelous FF8 Launcher from magixts bring this game into the modern era,what more can a ff8 fan ask for? :)

in long
You're not hearing all the instruments because of Vista's sound system.
You probably noticed that instruments are missing when you use "Microsoft Synthesizer" as a music device..which you have to use in order to get any good sound at all and for Samuel's DLS.

You have to place an "older" dmsynth.dll in the folder where your game is installed and that's it. :D
I uploaded the file here.

An easy way to test it is with FF8MIDI from the main site www.qhimm.com
When you apply Samuel's DLS files and try to play "Balamb garden" with "Microsoft Synthesizer" selected as the device I guess you won't hear any sound at all for like 12 seconds.
If you put the dmsynth.dll file in the same folder as FF8MIDI and then start it you should now hear the sound as it should be.

So...once again,dmsynth.dll has to be in the same folder as the main game .exe or any other program/game you intend to use it with.
« Last Edit: 2009-01-25 21:17:08 by Archer Mac »

Hamerisxx

« Reply #113 on: 2009-02-02 16:01:46 »
please help what to do if final fantasy VIII is laggy and freezes at times on nuwest nvidia forcevare in direct 3d hardvare acceleracion

polaris_027

« Reply #114 on: 2009-02-03 13:18:05 »
i think you should just set the compatibility mode to windows 98..

Mumiah

« Reply #115 on: 2009-03-15 07:34:49 »
Hi im new to all this launcher stuff so im quite ignorant about the terms so im trying to get FFVIII to look the best it can with my laptop PC, im running vista 64bit got 4GB ram intel core duo 2.0ghz, and got an Nvidia GeForce 9300 M GS with 512 dedicated memory .

I run the NVIDIA control panel but as i know little of optimizing video i have no clue what im doing when i move aronud things like

anisotropic filtering

antialiasing gamma correction

I just put them to the highest value or such but some dont have numeric options so any tips on what i can do to get it to look its best please ??

also when i choose the program that will use this configuration always do i put the launcher or the original exe or what?

any reply with any advice id be really thankfull

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2009-03-20 21:12:22 »
Mumiah: Hold yer horses right there! Gamma-adjustments shouldn't be adjusted unless you really know you need it (or unless funky old games like Riven commands you to), but anisotropic filtering (AF) and anti-aliasing (AA) is definitely something you'll have interest in working with. If you don't remember what the gamma was set to before you changed it, see if you can find some 'Reset'-button - or if you're satisfied with your present gamma-level, just don't worry about it. It only changes monitor brightness, more or less.

Now, to AA/AF. AA affects the contours of the 3D-models (through various possibly ingenious ways), BUT it will make demands on your GPU - loads of calculations needing quite a few core-MHz. Depending on what you set the FF8 Launcher to, and your monitor-size, you might not actually notice a difference between 2x and 4x - never mind 6x and 12x - but your GPU definitely will. If you notice lacking performance, AA is the option you should reduce first and see if it helps.
AF takes samples of the textures and scales them to... well, different resolutions, I'm not sure about the inner magickery of that. Now, this will take HUGE chunks of your VRAM. If this were a somewhat new game with 4092x4092-textures... Don't. But, well, as FF8 probably predates 1024x1024-textures, it should be safe to set the AF-multiplier to just about anything you like. You just most likely won't notice a difference. :-P The affected parts are textures on 3D-models, either placed at an odd viewing-angle or far in the distance. In other words, you MIGHT notice it A LITTLE in the combat-screens, and you'll notice it more on the world map, but NOT AT ALL in field-maps (cities, Garden, 2D-backgrounds, those tings).

(Actually: In older games - and FF8 before FF8 Launcher - AF has a tendency to cause really interesting effects. I don't remember what causes the grid-artifacts in FF8 (7 too?), but it definitely did something in FreeFalcon 3/Falcon 4 while in 2D-cockpit view.)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #117 on: 2009-05-11 15:04:44 »
This thread is probably long dead,  but i'd like to ask a question.
I recently got this game for the PC, and after battling with vista i finally got it installed.
at first, it worked alright, but i wanted to install FF8 launcher and the FF8 configurator.
after messing with this for ages, i finally got a nice resolution and fixed all the black boxes, but after installing "samuels sound font", some of the instruments were missing.
then i did something that i can't remember, and long story short, the MIDI files arent playing at all anymore. FF8midi crashes when i try to load one, and the FF8 configurator just says "failed". i can still hear sounds.
even many seemingly completely clean installs haven't fixed this.
maybe i've messed with a file i shouldn't have?
i remember deleting a file called "unintall.isu" from a program files folder, and i can neither uninstall nor reinstall "EAX(tm) Unified (SHELL)". maybe that's the problem?
any help would be appreciated :D

Natsuko

« Reply #118 on: 2009-05-20 23:29:35 »
I keep trying to download the FF8 Configurator so I can utilize Samuel's DLs but there's a problem.  Every download available on the official site is making my anti-virus pop up with a trojan warning.  Any one have a clean version link available?  I've been googling for hours but can't find anything but the official site.  Thanks in advance.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2009-05-20 23:50:07 »
This thread is probably long dead,  but i'd like to ask a question.
I recently got this game for the PC, and after battling with vista i finally got it installed.
at first, it worked alright, but i wanted to install FF8 launcher and the FF8 configurator.
after messing with this for ages, i finally got a nice resolution and fixed all the black boxes, but after installing "samuels sound font", some of the instruments were missing.
then i did something that i can't remember, and long story short, the MIDI files arent playing at all anymore. FF8midi crashes when i try to load one, and the FF8 configurator just says "failed". i can still hear sounds.
even many seemingly completely clean installs haven't fixed this.
maybe i've messed with a file i shouldn't have?
i remember deleting a file called "unintall.isu" from a program files folder, and i can neither uninstall nor reinstall "EAX(tm) Unified (SHELL)". maybe that's the problem?
any help would be appreciated :D

It's better to play PSX FF8 on ePSXe emu, since it still has a lot of graphic filters, AA, custom resolution and everything and atleast it has the epic original music instead of PC version midi crap :P

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #120 on: 2009-05-21 15:56:37 »
Yes but i can't actually stand the sub pixel accuracy problem PSX has :/ in fact i hate it, and it just stops me thinking about the game itself. this is only on emulator for some reason though.

if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2009-05-21 20:19:44 »
Yes but i can't actually stand the sub pixel accuracy problem PSX has :/ in fact i hate it, and it just stops me thinking about the game itself. this is only on emulator for some reason though.

if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Sub pixel accuracy? o.O Could you make a screenie of whatya mean? Because I don't really see any problems o.o

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #122 on: 2009-05-21 21:30:03 »
I can't make a screenshot of it because it isnt actually a graphical glitch. The PSX uses a 640x480  resolution, i think. On a Televesion with a real PSX, this is fine. but on a computer with a HD screen, 640x480 is Just simply not good enough. With ePSXe or the like, you can up the resolution. just by a little bit makes it playable, but the problem with this is that the PSX doesn't know how to smoothly move Verticies, since it's never needed to, due to the low resolution. But without this knowledge, You get these awful gittery Verticies and i can't concentrate on anything else. The PC version moves the verticies 100% smoothly, and that's why i'm using it. ePSXe is also especially bad at running FF8.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2009-05-22 09:48:37 »
I can't make a screenshot of it because it isnt actually a graphical glitch. The PSX uses a 640x480  resolution, i think. On a Televesion with a real PSX, this is fine. but on a computer with a HD screen, 640x480 is Just simply not good enough. With ePSXe or the like, you can up the resolution. just by a little bit makes it playable, but the problem with this is that the PSX doesn't know how to smoothly move Verticies, since it's never needed to, due to the low resolution. But without this knowledge, You get these awful gittery Verticies and i can't concentrate on anything else. The PC version moves the verticies 100% smoothly, and that's why i'm using it. ePSXe is also especially bad at running FF8.

Uhm not really o.O With Pete's OpenGL2 plugin it works perfectly smooth.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #124 on: 2009-05-22 15:47:33 »
it really, really, doesn't :/