Author Topic: PS3 Games: Any recommendations?  (Read 15485 times)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
PS3 Games: Any recommendations?
« on: 2011-12-28 15:46:30 »
At the moment, I'm in a fantastic position to abuse my library of PS3 games and add some new ones. I quit my job early December because of uni exams and I have a bit of money saved up.

I would really appreciate any opinions on what's worth finding in a bargain bin somewhere, and also opinions on some of the games I thought were exceptional (these can be considered my recommendations).

I have the following:

-Final Fantasy XIII (obviously)
-Bayonetta (mental, but fun)
-Borderlands (Don't see what the fuss is about. Find it difficult to get into.)
-Burnout Paradise (I like it.)
-Deus Ex: Human Revolution (I LOVE THIS GAME!)
-Fallout 3 (I can't seem to get into this game. I've started it over 3 times and I get to Megaton then get bored. Is it worth it?)
-God of War 3 (I'm not as into this as much as everyone else seems to be. It was OK)
-GTA IV (Loved the earlier ones, for some reason the game just feels too slow to me. Still quite good)
-Heavenly Sword (not bad. Suprisingly so.)
-Heavy Rain (enjoyed, completed a few times)
-Infamous (liked. Haven't played the second).
-Avatar: The Game (Oh my holy shit this game is AWFUL! I got it for £2 in the used bin and I know why. Haven't completed.)
-Lost Planet 2 (Played a bit. Bored already.)
-Mass Effect 2 (What a GEM. LOVED this game.)
-Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (A really fun little platformer. Another little gem.)
-Rayman: Origins (I really like it. Playing now. Loving the gameplay, takes me back to the first Rayman.)
-Red Faction: Guerilla (I really liked this game.)
-Red Faction: Armageddon (Nice gameplay, but disappointing. Wave after wave of enemies is not fun near the end.)
-Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (I loved it.)
-Singularity (Not played it yet, should I?)
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 (I'm sure everyone knows this game is broken. I still managed to like it.)
-Sonic Unleashed (Enjoyed the day stages)
-Sonic Generations (I LOVE. So fun. Short and sweet.)
-Tomb Raider Underworld (OK. The movement isn't fluid enough.)
-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (A good game, good story.)
-Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (LOVE. Great story, ridiculously fun to play.)
-Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (As good as U2, but not better than, which it should have been.)
-Valkyria Chronicles (This game is brilliant. Anyone who has a PS3 and hasn't played it should do so.)

As you may have noticed, I'm not really into FPS's. I've never played Call of Duty and don't intend to. I've thought about Assassin's Creed because everyone I talk to seems to love it, but I've never played it. I've also never played either of the Batman games. I'm also aware that Skyrim exists, everyone keeps telling me to buy it but I'm not paying £45 for it. Will wait for a price drop.

I've also got a library of PSN games, like From Dust, Flower etc that I thought were quite fun, but what I'm really looking for is a good story and good gameplay.  Please share your opinions?

NB: I have an irrational blanket hatred for all sports games, so please don't suggest those.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I haven't really played it yet.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-28 15:48:50 by Prince Lex »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 Games: Any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-28 17:07:42 »
Here's some of my big suggestions:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (and if you enjoy these three, get MGS4. It's the weakest in the series, but still quite fun).

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-28 17:50:19 »
Saint's Row 3 is awesome! much better than it's pre-deccors (however you spell it)
Assasin Creed Revelations i recommend you start from Assassin Creed 2
Any Need for Speed game they're all fun
Dead Space 2
Portal 2
Batman Archam City
Mortal Kombat 9 my fave out of the series
I see your not into fps but just throwing it out get Battlefield 3 blows sh*tty cod away but if your into fast packed non stategic killing go for cod :p
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword or Metroid Primes(if you got wii)
Oh yeah and also a ps3 must-have Infamous 1&2
« Last Edit: 2012-10-22 22:25:07 by e1sunz »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-28 18:07:35 »
IIRC Lex is the UK right? We don't get MGSHD till the 3rd of Feb.

Most of the PS3 games I'd have suggested are already on you list.

As for what you have...

Borderlands is co-op or die basically, it's really not a solo game.
Fallout 3, all round bad game, broken and buggy, same as everything else Bethesda develops.
RE5 Gold, Not long since started the PS3 version myself, already beaten the 360 version.
Bought Sonic Generations in the steam sales, because it's mostly what they should have done with the last few games rather than tried to throw in dumb gimmicks like Nintendo have been doing with Mario.
Uncharted Series, best set of games on the PS3 tbh, meant to get the first game but never got round to it.
Valkyria Chronicles, was not impressed by the demo, like they were trying to take the usual tactics style but appeal to people who aren't into strategy games, came out like it doesn't know what it's trying to be.

As for future ideas...

As Covarr suggests, Arkham Asylum/City, play the two greatest Batman games ever made.
No MGS4? Give it a play, should be about £15 new in most places.
Little Big Planet 1/2, good bit of platforming fun with millions of user made levels(a few FF themed levels too)
The GTAIV Episodes both so much better than IV itself.
Saint's Row 2/3 Take the core GTA Formula then mix in some over the top humour and fun, plenty of side missions.
Star Wars Force Unleashed 1/2 Both are somewhat short but are fairly decent time wasters for a few quid each.
Assassin's Creed series, great series of games although the first one gets quite repetitive.
Portal 2, Get 2 copies of the game, one for PS3 and the other on Steam for PC, can even be played cross platform for some fun puzzle time.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-28 19:47:37 »
IIRC Lex is the UK right? We don't get MGSHD till the 3rd of Feb.

Assassin's Creed series, great series of games although the first one gets quite repetitive.

Yeah I'm in the UK, so I'll keep an eye out for MGS in Feb - also when XIII-2 comes out.

So based on all your replies and the endless cries of my friends, Assassin's Creed and Arkham Asylum/ City are dead certs. I'm about to go to Tesco, so I can usually pick up a few pre-owned bargains there. I went to Union Street in Glasgow yesterday (it's like "game" street, they have GForce (imports, odd things, soundtracks, etc), GameStation and Reload. None of them had Assassin's Creed 1. Also went to 2 "Game" stores, and nothing.

Assasin Creed Revelations i recommend you start from Assassin Creed 2
Oh yeah and also a ps3 must-have Infamous 2

This is another thing people say a lot, to "start from 2" but I just feel weird doing that, like I'm missing out on part of the story? As mentioned above, I'm finding it hard to find the first one. There are preowned copies of the rest everywhere.

I did think about Infamous 2 aswell, and I will get it eventually because I really liked the first one. The only thing that put me off is the kind of shitty completely random story, and the fact that they completely changed the main character and are trying to pass him off as the same person. I get that it's a better game all round than the first, but I have OCD for continuity. I know, it's really stupid. I've played the demo, it was fun.

@DragonNinja - definitely going to get Portal 2 at some point. Am I missing out by not playing the original?

Keep them coming, I have a nice list now! ^_^

Kuroda Masahiro

• Stopped modding FF7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-28 20:14:55 »
I'd suggest getting some of these.

Atelier Rorona (slow start, but it is immensely addictive.)
Atelier Totori (you should play Rorona before this, but its graphically better and the gameplay is improved.)
Cross Edge (pretty good 2D based game.)
Disgaea 3 (you can get it for around £8, its a grinding tactical grid game, i found the plot boring though.)
Hyperdimension Neptunia (awesome game if you like dungeon crawlers.)
LA Noire (its basically heavy rain and GTA combined.)
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands (great game, but a little short.)
Silent Hill Homecoming (found it enjoyable)
Siren Blood Curse (annoying when you can't kill the enemies at times.)
Trinity Universe (a slower version of HDN, but still good.)

and wile its not a ps3 game, they do work on the ps3.
Persona 4 (a fun game.)
Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 (SH1 was originally considered to be Silent Hill the RPG and its an amazing game.)
Shin Megami Tensei digital devil saga 1 & 2 (you can buy both of them for about £9, tremendous story and the only thing I don't like about it is that in human form, you can't use magic.)
Shin Megami Tensei Lucifer's Call (dungeon crawler with a good story and it has Dante in it as a recruitable demon.)
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 1 (very similar to Crisis Core.)

But, if youre in the UK, there should be a Graingergames relatively close to you, they import games from america and they already have MGSHD in stock for £35.

As for Assassin's creed, I was given the first, second and brotherhood and I played half of the first one (waaaay too repetitive) and the other two, I finished them, but I didn't do the 100% playthrough or even found myself compelled to.

(and I spent like 5 hours looking for the codec pages in the second one because I didn't get them during my normal gameplay.)

but, storywise, you can read a symposis of it online and get the exact same debriefing as you would playing the game properly.

but, assassin creed 1 in a nutshell.

Altair is a total jerk, he breaks several sacred rules of the brotherhood; he's demoted down to a rookie and he has to kill 9 of their greatest enemies.

for each one he kills, he's rewarded with a new skill and piece of equipment, and its the same deal every time you hunt one; go to the town, look for the guild, get told wh you're killing, then yu interrogate people or pickpocket them until you have enough information to actually kill the target.

you kill the target, then you return to the base, get praised, then do it again.

for the last one, we're mislead on where he is, and then we manage to kill him after about an hour of added gameplay, when we return, it turns out the leader is abusing the apple of eden (very important item, it has magic powers) and is now trying to kill you.

after you kill your leader, Altair takes the apple for himself and uses it to make devices hundreds of years more advanced than their level of technology and becomes the mini leader basically.

We find out the people who kidnapped desmond wanted to look in his dna memories to find out where the apple of eden is because his descendant had it.

They tried to look in the memories of someone else, but they pushed him too hard and he started to visit his ancestor's memories in the present day without the machine and killed himself.

thats pretty much all you need to know from the first one to fully enjoy the second game.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-12-28 22:15:49 »
Just found Assassin's Creed: Revelations in Asda for £10. And guess what? It includes the original Assassin's Creed! I had no idea. Installing now, then I'll get 2 & Brotherhood before I play Revelations.

But, if youre in the UK, there should be a Graingergames relatively close to you, they import games from america and they already have MGSHD in stock for £35.

I live in Scotland. I had a look at the website for "Graingergames", they only have stores in England. Hatred for whoever they are.

Also, thanks for all those suggestions, they're mostly games I've never heard of which is awesome. Research required ^_^.

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-12-28 22:34:14 »
Skyrim (when you can afford it)

Batman: Arkham City ( I just got this game and it is fun as hell)

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 ( My friend just got this said it's a blast. The other ones were fun.)

Mortal Kombat (I really wanna play this one lol)

I think any other game I could recommend have been said already. Good luck, and have fun!

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-12-29 08:17:20 »
nobody mentioned resonance of fate yet? impossibru!

resonance of fate - tri-ace. rpg. over-the-top gunfights, getting more and more acrobatic as you level up. battles get repetitive with time, but i love it.
vanquish - an sci-fi action game. made by the same studio that did bayonetta. don't expect a rich plot, but the gameplay is great. short and not much of a replay value.

Borderlands (Don't see what the fuss is about. Find it difficult to get into.)
it's difficult until you find a decent gun (which can take a while). then it becomes more approachable. kinda boring game for single player, but i like it for its general mood, and presentation.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I haven't really played it yet.
you should, but turn down the volume on voice acting of some characters. ps3 version has an option of switching between eng/jap voice overs, but it's some characters are painful to hear in both. it's much more approachable game than star ocean 3 (no more 0MP = KO idiocy)

MGS4 is fun game because it is very varied and you can do tons of things in there. what absolutely kills it is the ability to turn auto aim on, which makes it ridiculously easy (except for bosses). it's the only game that i really got absolutely hooked to and finished it in two days as a result.

wipeout hd + fury - for wipeout racing series maniacs mostly. fast-paced futuristic racing with awesome dnb sountrack.

AlbusJC

• If you really love something let it go
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-12-29 12:49:19 »
Dead Island

Dead Nation

Dead Rising 2

Metal Gear Solid IV (I like this game to play online)

Im sorry, I loved the zombie games  ;D (Coming soon Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City ^^)

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-12-29 13:54:54 »
nobody mentioned resonance of fate yet? impossibru!

resonance of fate - tri-ace. rpg. over-the-top gunfights, getting more and more acrobatic as you level up. battles get repetitive with time, but i love it.
vanquish - an sci-fi action game. made by the same studio that did bayonetta. don't expect a rich plot, but the gameplay is great. short and not much of a replay value.
it's difficult until you find a decent gun (which can take a while). then it becomes more approachable. kinda boring game for single player, but i like it for its general mood, and presentation.
you should, but turn down the volume on voice acting of some characters. ps3 version has an option of switching between eng/jap voice overs, but it's some characters are painful to hear in both. it's much more approachable game than star ocean 3 (no more 0MP = KO idiocy)

wipeout hd + fury - for wipeout racing series maniacs mostly. fast-paced futuristic racing with awesome dnb sountrack.

I'll definitely check out Resonance of Fate, i'd forgotten about that one. I liked Star Ocean: Till The End of Time, it felt really unique and in some ways it was really odd. The story twist was a bit of a mind-fuck. I've played the first MINUTE of Star Ocean: The Last Hope and for some reason couldn't get to grips with that battle technique where you deflect a bullet thing... or something. I told myself I'd come back to it, and I will. I can't have games sitting on the shelf that I haven't completed lol.

Same thing with Borderlands, I play a couple of missions and then get bored. I'll get there eventually. I would just like it if it was slightly easier, or if there was some way to level up faster. It looks good and plays well though, I love the style. I think it might be the complete lack of personality in the characters that puts me off. I chose Lilith, which may have been a mistake.

And I've got Wipeout HD + Fury! It was one of my free PSN choices when it came back online. Love it. The ability to choose your own music is amazing, especially for Zone runs.

Dead Island

Dead Nation

Dead Rising 2

Metal Gear Solid IV (I like this game to play online)

Im sorry, I loved the zombie games  ;D (Coming soon Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City ^^)

Looking forward aswell to Operation Raccoon City. Never played any of the other games you mentioned, but I've seen them around, I'll give them a look.

Everyone is saying MGSIV, so I'm going to check that out aswell after the MGS HD Collection comes out in Feb. That's after XIII-2 is done lol. Also looking forward to Mass Effect 3 in March.

Also, has anyone else got Rayman: Origins? OMFG, the sheer RAGE of trying to get the time trophy on some later levels! Was pulling my hair out last night.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-12-29 16:26:52 »

This is another thing people say a lot, to "start from 2" but I just feel weird doing that, like I'm missing out on part of the story? As mentioned above, I'm finding it hard to find the first one. There are preowned copies of the rest everywhere.

It's because Assassin Creed 1 is not related to Assassin Creed 2 and above and it is also much more boring to play the movements and everything just doesn't feel good on the 1st but the 2nd is a major improvement

I did think about Infamous 2 aswell, and I will get it eventually because I really liked the first one. The only thing that put me off is the kind of sh*tty completely random story, and the fact that they completely changed the main character and are trying to pass him off as the same person. I get that it's a better game all round than the first, but I have OCD for continuity. I know, it's really stupid. I've played the demo, it was fun.

I played Infamous 1 when PSN got hacked and they gave out this game (Full) for free download and loved it but Infamous 2..wow much better than the 1st i have to agree and this time the story aint random as this time you have to collect more powers to become stronger to defeat (don't wanna spoil the story for ya  ;))

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-12-29 21:44:02 »
If you get Dead Rising 2, get the Off the Record Version, various improvements over DR2 and Frank is such a better character than Chuck.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-12-30 22:41:03 »
Just finished the first Assassin's Creed. Off to find 2 now. Ending was balls.

EDIT: Also, movement made me want to break my controller sometimes. I cannot tell you the number of times I had to repeat missions because Altair kept jumping off walls :S. That said, I did enjoy it, even if the story was a bit predictable.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-30 22:43:05 by Prince Lex »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-12-30 23:29:34 »
I'd recommend not upgrading past version 3.55.... that is all

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-31 00:04:44 »
Can I ask why? I have my PS3 doing it automatically. Therefore already 4.00.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-31 02:46:09 »
It depends what you want to do. Homebrew, don't update past 3.55. But recent commercial games and PSN access? Go ahead and keep it updated, you'll need it.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-31 12:08:20 »
DemonSouls

It's said to be the best RPG from the generation. Don't buy it if you're a new era gamer. The game is very difficult and you'll die A LOT. Reminded me of the old games when you would have to spend hours trying to go thru one place and you failed miserably.

I usually buy my games from zavvi.com, just so you know. 9,99£ most of the time.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-12-31 18:50:18 »

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-01-03 07:54:57 »
I've heard a lot about that game, I don't know if I fancy it though. Looks a bit samey?

Also, that guy irritates beyond measure. That's some serious ear rape. Someone should give him ADHD medication and put him in a straight jacket until he's catatonic.

EDIT: I'm getting tired of Assassin's Creed. I actually think the story is pretty great, and the end of Assassin's Creed 2 blew my mind, but Brotherhood doesn't have the same pull. I keep finding myself pausing the game and changing the channel to look at random shit on the internet, which is never a good thing. I shall persevere though, I want to finish Revelations before I head back to uni next week. Then I'll start Star Ocean.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-04 03:20:35 by Prince Lex »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #20 on: 2012-10-22 13:11:35 »
I would prefer the next AC to be in Japan or Persia or Africa...

Assassin's Creed III Limited Edition Unboxing Video

cirellio

• View Profile
    • Five Rings
« Reply #21 on: 2012-10-22 18:31:16 »
The ending of AC2 made me LOL. Part 1's ending felt intriguing. Made me want to continue on to get answers. The answers Part 2 offered felt pretty ridiculous, if I'm to be perfectly honest. The gameplay was top-notch, but I didn't even want to bother with the series after that.
Kind of odd you had the opposite reactions.
If I could recommend a PS3 game, well, reading this thread reminds me of how lackluster this gen has been. I guess Skyrim, although you're better off with it on computer. And the Rockband series always did it for me. But if you can play real guitar at any capacity or desire to learn, definitely get Rocksmith instead.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-10-22 19:40:19 »
Mirror's Edge is worth a play.  I find it plays a lot better on PC (much more responsive controls), but goddamn is it still fun on PS3

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-10-22 21:04:02 »
Crysis 2 is a good one.

ProtoX

« Reply #24 on: 2012-10-23 12:53:36 »
Games For PS3 I Have
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Sonic Generations (I also Have The 3ds Verson)
Final Fantasy 13
Marvel vs Capcom Orgins Demo
Jet Set Radio Demo