Author Topic: Swear Filter  (Read 34670 times)

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: Swear Filter
« Reply #75 on: 2011-04-12 03:21:48 »
If I can just weigh in here, I'd like to agree with Bosola and say I also don't like use of the word "gay" as an insult. I fucking despise the word "faggot", but having read Encyclopedia Dramatica to the point where I can't breathe from laughter/ am immune to all things; have come to understand the internet lingo of "macfag", "britfag" etc. (Thanks to you Kudistos :P). This is an example of a shift in perception from my point of view.

I use the word fag to describe cigarettes - that's a British thing. If an American were to use the word fag in speech it would mean something entirely different.

Just my opinion. I've stated my distaste and offence for use of the words "gay" and "faggot" in derogatory context many times before (at least 5) and I'm glad that for the first time in the 10 years I've been browsing this board, someone else has said something about it.

I use the words "gay" and "faggot" to describe homosexual people all the time, but never mean offense by it, oddly enough

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2011-04-12 03:47:29 »
I use the words "gay" and "faggot" to describe homosexual people all the time, but never mean offense by it, oddly enough

I find it offensive.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2011-04-12 15:58:58 »
If we're talking about etymology - the f word as a cigarette stems from its literal meaning, and makes sense in its use. Its application to homosexuals is ridiculously offense if you know the reasoning behind it.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2011-04-12 17:08:29 »

I thought we agreed: Stop>Think>Type>Done.

Guess we still need much work on the second step...:P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2011-04-12 17:40:43 »
What a disgusting thing to say :-( What does that have to do with the debate going on here? Weird...

Yeah some of you need to realise there are girls around here too, and people who don't want to hear things like that.  Have a little bit of respect :) eh ;)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2011-04-12 18:59:25 »
How's about you stop talking like us Canadians, eh?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2011-04-12 19:01:00 »
 :evil:

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2011-04-12 19:10:58 »
It's aboot time someone brought that up.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2011-04-12 19:35:55 »

I find it offensive as well.

I saw this on TV the other day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEpBYKOs3ys

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2011-04-12 19:44:28 »
I'm just trying to say that I don't think there's such a thing as an offensive word.  They can be used offensively, but it is possible to use them without offense.  I mean, one of my best friends growing up is gay now, and he doesn't even have the slightest problem being called a faggot, unless there's obvious malice behind it.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2011-04-12 19:47:40 »
I'm just trying to say that I don't think there's such a thing as an offensive word.  They can be used offensively, but it is possible to use them without offense.  I mean, one of my best friends growing up is gay now, and he doesn't even have the slightest problem being called a faggot, unless there's obvious malice behind it.

People can take what you say differently than your friend. All I'm saying is you should think about what you're going to say before just calling someone a faggot.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #86 on: 2011-04-12 19:50:23 »
How's about you stop talking like us Canadians, eh?

i sincerely wish this forum had a like button :P i would like the hell out of that post

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2011-04-13 22:00:20 »

I understand that words are different when considered in context and when joking with friends, but someone is always going to be offended when certain words are used a certain way. I'm not saying it makes a person homophobic, but it really doesn't help matters. There's really not a defence for it. I find the words "gay" and "faggot" being thrown around this board all the time to describe people and/or derogatory situations, and it pisses me off.

It offends some people, it doesn't offend others. All I'm saying is that people could stand to be a bit more considerate when posting. Its not like it costs a huge amount of effort to not use words that can be considered offensive to some people.

EDIT:
If we're talking about etymology - the f word as a cigarette stems from its literal meaning, and makes sense in its use. Its application to homosexuals is ridiculously offense if you know the reasoning behind it.

I forgot I wanted to add that I agree with this. For those that didn't know - "Faggot" is derived from the French word "Faggeaux" which was the kindling used to burn witches at the stake. When you call someone a faggot, you're saying you think they should burn. If that's not offensive, I don't know what is; especially considering that it's now a common word for homosexuality because of this meaning.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-13 22:05:17 by Prince Lex »

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2011-04-13 23:04:28 »
but someone is always going to be offended when certain words are used a certain way

Well then fuck those people.  Words are nothing but sounds or combinations of symbols, what the fuck is there to be offended about?  People are just way too fucking high strung these days.

Even though we've enabled swearing, we still don't allow strings of excessive vulgarity. Swear with measure. - Bosola
« Last Edit: 2011-04-13 23:23:09 by Bosola »

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2011-04-13 23:06:13 »
Yawn.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #90 on: 2011-04-13 23:13:46 »
Well then fuck those people.

I'm not going to use my authority to slap you down for saying 'gay', but it is something I don't like. Not only does it align us with bigots, but it makes the forums seem puerile.

Also, we've already outlined that nonsense strings of expletives or vulgar language aren't acceptable. Thus my edit.

Treat swearing and vulgarity as you would smilies - a few  :) s and  :lol: s are fine, but

omg :-o :-( :-[ :-X :-D :? :x!!!!1111eleventeen 8-)!!

...ain't kosher.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-13 23:26:30 by Bosola »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2011-04-14 03:17:21 »
Red is my edit color! Find another.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2011-04-14 03:34:01 »
Don't be touching green either!

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2011-04-14 04:02:01 »
use PINK
or ORANGE

:-P

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2011-04-14 07:26:51 »
Loving your avatar, Obesebear :)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #95 on: 2011-04-14 07:37:56 »
Bosola makes me think blue

ALSO:

Are there more people that use the word 'gay' in casual speech or more people that find the word offensive?  That should be the basis for deciding if it is right or wrong to say - at least considering the logic behind most arguments in most threads is "consensus rules over all" lol
« Last Edit: 2011-04-14 07:41:32 by xLostWingx »

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2011-04-14 10:19:38 »
Consensus rules over all?  Pfft.  Consensus is so overrated.  On these forums, the admins rule over all :P It's just simpler that way.

Also, I don't agree with you.  If it's offensive, it's offensive to gay people, who are a minority.  Consensus victimizes them.  So whether 'gay' is offensive or not… I say only gay people should be allowed to vote on that one.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #97 on: 2011-04-14 18:01:10 »
Oh, I wasn't saying thats how I think it should be done.  I was saying that most recent discussions that I've paid attention to in some threads have been solved by examining what the majority believes.  I think consensus is overrated too, and I am aware admins rule and agree it is simpler.

I agree it is offensive too....the only problem I see is that anyone can declare anything offensive.  And if consensus means nothing, and it only takes one offended person to render something offensive...well things could get stupid quick.