Author Topic: Is it? Movie texture illegal?  (Read 4478 times)

ShadowzI

• View Profile
Is it? Movie texture illegal?
« on: 2012-10-20 05:45:07 »
Just a question about model texturing... If you use texture compose of the ffVii ACC screenshot, does this make it an illegal texture?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: Is it? Movie texture illegal?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-20 13:47:45 »
Yes.

More in-depth, it's because it's ripped material. Rip=Illegal so you can't release it here.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-20 19:19:18 »
I think you miss understood his question VGR, because I've seen some of what he is asking about done around the forums before; and then released.

It's where you take a screenshot of a scene, and use that image and wrap it around a model to texture it. The same method was used in Grimmy's Diamond weapon project once upon a time, but that one seems awfully different, considering he used materials from inside of FF7 already.

But, I swear I've seen a Barret model done in this same fashion at one point or another. My gut tells me it may be against the rules, but I am still not sure on this one.

whitERaven

• when the Raven turns white..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-20 20:34:03 »
Oops.. can we clarify this? the Barret model I did used a piece of image from an Advent Children wallpaper.. I used a little part of barrets jacket then generate it as a texture pattern, is this against the rules? I thought it would be ok since I did not use a material from other games.. it's from a wallpaper I have showing barret, If this is a no no I will  have to change it..

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-20 21:06:52 »
I don't really think it's considered ripping because it's mostly taking something from one model of a game and implementing onto another.  I could be wrong here but that's what I think.

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-20 21:18:02 »
Well I'm not sure what you mean but "taking something from one model of a game and implementing onto another" Is called ripping..

I'm concerned if ripping rule is only limited on materials used on other games, or does this include using parts from wallpapers, movie screenshots and such..

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-20 22:44:30 »
anything that comes from a product you need to purchase to get to the part you take from it is basically not allowed within the rules
If someone made a freeware game, you could take the models and whatnot and even though it's "ripping" it's still within the rules and not illegal. Because it's not content you can only access if you have paid for the product. Anyone could, for free.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-20 22:49:29 »
...basically it's legal no need to get paranoid or stress over it unneccesarily..(facepalm)

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-10-20 23:01:01 »
LoL goody.. So I don't need to worry about it..

ShadowzI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-10-21 04:32:49 »
Okay, if that's the case this might give a bit a freedom to modify some of Shinra's Black Ops =D.

... But it looks like I might have to create a model from ground up...
Question anything better (actually simpler) than blender for creating ffvii models? Cause if not it looks like before I can do anything... I'm gonna have to learn quite a bit.

Belay that... after serious consideration I find that I'm unable to commit to dressing up the turks...There's too many things that I need to do... and too little time that I actually have...  :oops:
« Last Edit: 2012-10-21 05:26:20 by ShadowzI »