Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid PC Problem  (Read 25452 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Gear Solid PC Problem
« Reply #25 on: 2011-04-15 22:12:59 »
Really? I thought MGS's voice acting was some of the best I've ever heard, especially the guy who played Gray Fox in the original. I thought without their accents their acting just sounded dull and uninspired, and I had the same problem with MGS4.
You misunderstand. I'm saying it was subpar in the remake.

As for the accents, I don't so much mind their presence, but I wish that the actors had been able to do a good job.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-04-15 22:16:44 »

As for the accents, I don't so much mind their presence, but I wish that the actors had been able to do a good job.

MGS has a bit of a camp feel to it, so the slightly overdone or underdone accents fit in well with the atmosphere of the game. This is one of many things that MGS has in common with the better Bond films.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011-04-15 23:08:29 »

No no, I understand, I was just commenting on how you didn't like the accents. I meant that with the accent's in the original was some of the best acting for video games, especially for the time.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011-04-16 13:20:00 »
@destroyedweapon All video's in the game do this (yes that means the end as well), I looked into this for quite awhile and didn't find any kind of fix, i tried everything i could think off which included
Different Operating systems (win98,windows XP,windows Vista Home basic,Windows 7 Home Trial, Ubuntu 9.10 with Wine)
Different processors (AMD3000, AMD5000+, AMD Phenom X6 1055T, Intel Celeron)
Different RAM (DDR2 and DDR3)
Different graphic cards (Geforce 6600, Geforce 9600 GSO, ATI HD2600, ATI HD5770, Intel intergrated)
and lots of other things (too many to list)
and not 1 thing seemed to fix the problem, but after a long time of testing i decided to mess with it in a virtual machine and it seemed to work on any OS XP, Vista or Win7 (as shown in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0uGF-37Mc) so i am kind of confused as to why it works in a virtual machine and not on a real machine, from what i can tell it is most likely due to the graphics (but this is my own theory and NOT a fact), Virtualbox emulates a graphics card and appears to be able to handle MGS fine.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 2011-04-16 13:33:40 »
MGS has a bit of a camp feel to it, so the slightly overdone or underdone accents fit in well with the atmosphere of the game.

GREY FAWWWWWWKKKKSSSS!!!!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011-04-16 17:03:20 »
Don't even get me started on that piece of trash Twin Snakes. They might as well have named it MGS:Matrix edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIKjUvhIep0

They also messed up the voice acting, because they redid it all, without any accents in anyone's voice The colonel didn't sound rough, naomi no longer had her british accent, mei ling went from sounding like a chinese person speaking english to one of those poor anime voice actors, and David Hayter's was the best, but some parts were kind of forced, which is surprising for Hayter's usually superb acting.

The music too, went from the awesome MGS1 music, to some crappily done music that didn't even fit. It was more MGS2's style of music, but It wasn't even nearly as good as MGS2's music.

The only good thing about that was having the M9 and gameplay enhancements from MGS2.

And for what it's worth, MGS1 was pretty realistic for what it was. Go play it again if you don't believe me. MGS3 was similar in that regard too, both very well done games.

That's the end of my rant.

Agreed.  Also, I was told once why they had to redo it all (and can't remember)... but redoing all those voices-  what a waste of money and man power. In the end it came off worse than originally, probably because the VA were bored.

And yes, MGS1 was a very believeable story for a fiction, even though it did indeed have some absurd parts.  Overall it was very well written, unlike the slop that was MGS2 and 4.  (although mgs2 had great game play)

@kranmer

Perhaps the virtual machine is emulating something that is needed.  LIke missing file in directx or dll....
« Last Edit: 2011-04-16 19:40:31 by DLPB »

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011-04-16 22:23:45 »
but after a long time of testing i decided to mess with it in a virtual machine and it seemed to work on any OS XP, Vista or Win7 (as shown in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0uGF-37Mc) so i am kind of confused as to why it works in a virtual machine and not on a real machine, from what i can tell it is most likely due to the graphics (but this is my own theory and NOT a fact), Virtualbox emulates a graphics card and appears to be able to handle MGS fine.

Thank you for the input, can it be played through this software? or is just a software for testing stuff?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011-04-16 22:29:09 »
Thank you for the input, can it be played through this software? or is just a software for testing stuff?

Nani?

You can do anything you want in a virtual machine. You can play MGS on it for hours on end, if you want.

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011-04-16 23:32:28 »
Could i use nvidia filtering like aa inside virtualbox?, so i have to install the game in this virtual machine? ill download and try to get it to work.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2011-04-17 04:36:47 »
Could i use nvidia filtering like aa inside virtualbox?, so i have to install the game in this virtual machine? ill download and try to get it to work.

Any specific reason why you'd need a virtual machine to begin with?  I'm going to assume you're on Windows, if not, surely WINE would suffice.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011-04-17 06:21:43 »
Any specific reason why you'd need a virtual machine to begin with?  I'm going to assume you're on Windows, if not, surely WINE would suffice.
I'm going to assume you missed kranmer's post.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-04-17 22:44:29 »

Well you can use Nvidia filtering in virtual-box apparently (i haven't done it but i have read about it) but MGS wont run in hardware mode in virtual-box so it would be pointless (well i couldn't get it to do it), but if you want to use hardware mode you will need to use either VMware Workstation or VMPlayer (vmplayer is free but has limited functionality and vmware costs money but works better so if you have money go for vmware workstation) which should allow MGS to run in hardware mode and use AA and allow you to use your controller (i say "should" because i havent tested this is in vmware or vmplayer but i know people who have and they have been happy with the results)