Author Topic: The Official Guide for Tenko Kuugen's Nightmare VII Mod by NeuroSephiroth  (Read 16451 times)

NeuroSephrioth

• Neuro Sephiroth
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I would first like to start off by saying that I'm unsure whether this belongs under Gameplay Mods or Other Mods. I decided Gameplay Mods would be best, although that may be subject to change depending on Administrator discretion. Anyway...

The Nightmare VII Guide

Tenko Kuugen's Nightmare VII mod is easily my second favorite mod of all time for FF7. The first being Sega Chief's New Threat, although that's for Nostalgia reasons. Since so much stuff is overhauled, and it would take forever to find everything in a regular playthrough, I decided to make this guide!

However, the Nightmare VII mod remains unfinished, and, as a result, so is this guide. There are several sections incomplete, or not filled in at all. Updates will happen after every major boss fight.

This guide covers a walkthrough of the whole game, Hidden Items, Weapons, Armor, Accessories, Limit Breaks, Materia, Hidden Items, Boss Strategies, and more. This is going to be a BIG project, so this is probably version 0.15. Or something. This guide is subject to change, since stuff will be added in later releases of Nightmare VII. Like I said, after each major boss fight, the guide will be updated with a changelog, so you know what's different.

https://github.com/Vgr255/Nightmare

Here's what's done so far with each section:

Walkthrough: Up to Dyne
Limit Breaks: Only Cloud's
Magic: Introduction Only
Items: 100% Complete
Weapons: Cloud's done, and Barret's mostly done
Armor: 100% Complete
Accessories: 100% Complete
Hidden Items: Not even started
Bosses: Not even started
Last Words: Not even started

Hidden Items are covered in the walkthrough as well, by the way.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-17 03:19:18 by NeuroSephrioth »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Official? I wouldn't call it that unless it's endorsed by Kuugen.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Has my endorsement. I look over it as he puts it on and point out any mistakes but I doubt there'll be more than a handful in the entire thing.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
I'll be that guy and say that there are much better places than Mega to put text files. Personally I would recommend GitHub along with GitHub for Windows. It'll let you update the files easily and other people can see the updates. I can even create it for you if you want, and I can guide you on how to use it. Would also let Kuugen for example change mistakes in there without needing to go through you.

Just my 2 cents :P

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
I do agree with VGR for once

Everyone go outside to see the pigs flying

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
So, I took some time to put online that guide in a new repository. If you have an account just tell me (it takes a minute to make), I'll make it so you can edit the files as well. You don't even need to download anything, and it's easy. Formatting is a bit of a pain though, but you'll get it eventually.

It's right there.

NeuroSephrioth

• Neuro Sephiroth
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
So, I took some time to put online that guide in a new repository. If you have an account just tell me (it takes a minute to make), I'll make it so you can edit the files as well.

I've made an account, Vgr. You can go ahead and set the permissions and stuff.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Done. You can now edit the files directly online. When you got time I can tell you a bit more about Markdown formatting and how to use Git on your computer (so you can edit on your computer and push your changes online).

NeuroSephrioth

• Neuro Sephiroth
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Currently, a new update is processing. The walkthrough now goes up to Aps. I added some minor changes here and there.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Kuugen notes: I am not doing these directly to the gith so I actually have some kind of documentation of what I've said

You missed a special event in the playground, first visit. You can do some additional stuff by sliding down the elephant slide (by crawling in) and then letting Aerith do the same by talking to her.
If you crawl into the elephant slide and slide down with Aerith, you get 3 extra materia (Nuclear, Analyse and Spirit+)

The text in the pharmacy is not bugged, the clerk is literally stoned to heaven and messes up your order. The kid just outside the pharmacy even tells you about this. If you experiment with the choices you'll see which one gives you what, it's always the same.

The music for Aps isn't called Birth of a God (Unless you are not using the custom OST which will result in problems further down the road) but is actually the Final Fantasy 6 boss theme remixed by SSH.

The Highpotion-or-fury-fragment item is actually only 2 out of 7 possible items you get based on your second timer of the game time. Phoenix down, high potion, tranquilizer, rockmelt, moon sugar, voice enhancer and over 6 seconds is fury fragment

You missed the two additional materia that /eventually/ come floating down in the sewers after you pick up steal.  The second is Steal+ (add steal to combined) and the third is Speed+ (functions like Luck+ or Spirit+ and increases dex)

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
I'll be adding those in tomorrow to the guide; sleepy Vgr is not clear-headed and might will would does eeh, something something screwing stuff up. Night.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Part 4 was updated with Kuugen's notes. Let me know if I missed anything.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
I recommend actually testing my notes because my notes are really just notes. I might remember a detail wrong and it's always better to test the stuff you missed for yourself just in case. I can upload a bunch of saves where I made a new save at every possible savepoint if needed for testing this.

1) It still says the text in the pharmacy is bugged. It's not.
2) Overhauled the section where Aerith gave items to use a meaningful variable. This is now based on love points. She starts with 50 and will reward you depending on your performance. 51 or more = restore. 46-50 = sources (2 magic+, 2 mind+), less than 46 = moon sugar, spider web, high potion and ether. Love points are affected by how well you do in the soldier-chasing-Aerith pseudo minigame. **Note on 2) I did not remember this existed.
3)  The guy in front of the church that steals 1000 gil, fixed him up. He will steal 1000 gil, if you have 1000 gil otherwise he will steal nothing, up to 25 times. After the 25th time, you receive 2 Mako Potion and 2 Mako Ether. Fixed a bug where dialogue with him wouldn't trigger right afterward.
4) The Spread Materia in sector 5 has been properly disabled. Something was setting Var 15:32 Bit 2 on and I couldn't find it in the flevel.
5) There is an event in the north wall market. I'll leave you to figure this one out. Search (and by that I mean, mash OK) around the trash near the weapon shop. This can give you a Thief materia early (Aps does not have something to steal but this will give you a second Thief materia in the sewers for maximum stealing power)
6) Still says one of two items in the item in the sewers part. It's one of 7, actually.

Yes, the mod has so much stuff in Midgar that it's hard to remember all of it, for me too.
I'll upload the changed flevel when I get the chance.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-02 00:01:38 by Tenko Kuugen »

NeuroSephrioth

• Neuro Sephiroth
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
There will be a break in guide writing, since I need to reinstall Nightmare VII.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Overlooked the pharmacy text bit. My bad. I'm not actually the one doing the guide; I maintain it and do the formatting (so that you can have the images embedded in the text and the various tables), but NeuroSephiroth is the one making the guide (he sends me the updates and I put them online). I fixed all your points now, should be good to go.

NeuroSephrioth

• Neuro Sephiroth
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
A further break must be taken, because the Nightmare VII exe was bonked on its head (it's broken).

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Doesn't a guide for a hardcore mod defeat the purpose of playing the hardcore mod in the first place?  The idea is you want to be challenged?

NeuroSephrioth

• Neuro Sephiroth
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Doesn't a guide for a hardcore mod defeat the purpose of playing the hardcore mod in the first place?  The idea is you want to be challenged?

The same could perhaps be said of all video games. Thing is, I understand if people don't wanna use it. It's there if they get stuck, or if they wanna get everything. Even with the guide, it's still very challenging.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Yeah, I guess it depends how you use the guide :)

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Well, I use it to follow on the Nightmare's mod, since I don't have the time to play. But anyway, part 7 is online!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
No comments on Part 5
Part 6:
I see no way to fix the bookroom so I'm going to disable the gateway into that room and remove the hidden items

Floor 63 minigame should work just fine. I see no reason in the code why it wouldn't work. There are even 12 hidden items there. I even went and tested this by playing up all the way from before you storm shinra HQ.

Floor 66: I did not reference Dirge of Cerberus. Never played it and don't consider it canon.

Midgar Zolom: Stealing doesn't work because it has nothing to steal. I don't know why you think it has a Mega Lixir.

Floor 69: The vending machines are a minigame, try them out a little more, you can get a set of rewards for finishing this minigame. You know it's finished when the whole set of vending machines start to blink like Las Vegas.

Dying: There should be a save point after Rufus is defeated. Did I not upload that flevel? I changed this a while back when Sega first checked the Midgar bosses out

Part 7: No real comments, you could mention that the Junon Forest fights are among the best spot to level up early in the game

NeuroSephrioth

• Neuro Sephiroth
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Just a heads up, I'll be streaming this mod (making notes for the guide along the way) on December 13th (this Saturday) at 6:30 PM CST (GMT -6:00). Drop on by; I would appreciate it! Here's the URL for when the stream begins: www.twitch.tv/neurosephiroth

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Part 8 was uploaded.

Edit: Part 9 too; same link as above.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-14 23:24:16 by Vgr »