Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Beacause - FF7 Retranslation (Merged into Reunion, use that instead)  (Read 364457 times)

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
Oh man, don't apologize. I flipping LOVE seeing new posts from you, even if its just grammatical adjustments and stuff. Checking this topic is totally part of my daily routine now. XD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
It's nice to see some people appreciate improvements.  I've been looking around and find some are more concerned that I have made Zack Zax...  Even though the installer actually allows either.  HEH.

spy__dragon

• View Profile
OK, I'll wait it. I only want to communicate to use as support to authors.
Anyway, personally, I don't mind changes of the names, some changes
sound good according Japanese phonetic, and the grammatical changes
have big difference to the original translation.

Greetings and good luck ;)
P.D: If you need a helpful, I don't mind to help.

Livesey

• View Profile
Scfrew what other people think of the name changes man, personally I don't like Aerith but I have grown to accept it as truth ( Mind you I never likes Aeris either I was glad when she died)

Anyway back on topic if people didn't play this because this or that wasn't changed that's their loss, you're doing an amazing job on this re-translation and people should stop bitching.

Personally I wouldn't have included original incorrect names as an option just out of principle =P

spy__dragon

• View Profile
I think people will play the re translation or Translation, why translation? They are translating from Japanese , there are many details that the original translation didn't translate or skipped, for example, Don Corneo when Cloud and the other arrived, they threatened with to cut his "little thing". And other reasons, the people is used to the official terms of magic or Limits, attacks or arms.

Greetings ;)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I wouldn't have ncluded original incorrect names as an option just out of principle =P

Believe me, that was tempting.  I did it because it is better to have the intolerant gits on board as well.  However, I will be changing the installer to reflect the fact that the choice they use is wrong.

Livesey

• View Profile
Great, Now I'm even excited to see the installer  :-D

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
http://clerith.heliohost.org/Ultimania.htm

@DLPB - I thought maybe these would be a good read for you. They are articles on various scenes/scripts. Japanese quotes and explanations are included.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Thanks. Luksy has a copy of the Japanese Ultimania and Omega.  Most of that seems to be overly interested in silly fanboy ideas about "canon" but I will bookmark it anyway.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
This is the final resting place of the documentation, which I have now pretty much completed along with notes.

Documentation found Here

obesebear

• View Profile
[criticism] Things like renaming Heaven's Cloud to Ama No Kurakamo, Flayer to Fangtian Hua Ji and Amulet to Omamori, stand out like sore thumbs.   I think having one, and even two words that aren't English sounding is acceptable (like the Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki) but when it gets to 3, it begins sounding like it wasn't even translated from Japanese.   As for amulet, I guess I just don't see where the need was to change it since they're the same thing? [/criticism]

It's very impressive that you've gotten this far, and I'm glad you switched from the extremely literal translation of the beginning.   I've also found I'm more ok with a lot of the name changes like Gast to Gusto, Zack to Zax, etc.  I figure the majority of people don't have regular names in the FF7 universe, so any changes are probably getting it closer to what was originally intended.

Keep up the good work.

luksy

• View Profile
There are only a handful of words left over from Japanese, they stuck because they're either proper names, or concepts whose English equivalent is not quite the same thing (or in some cases with the original translation just plain wrong).

For Ama no Murakamo: Changing it would be like calling Excalibur "Battlebreach" or something similar. Heaven's Cloud is a very rough translation but is equally meaningless to a person unfamiliar with the actual sword, so what's there to lose?

Fangtian Hua Ji is a legendary class of polearm that appears in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Flayer conveys nothing of the meaning (which is something like "Heaven Pointing Spear"), so again, I'm not sure anything of value is lost.

An omamori is an amulet, but an amulet isn't necessarily an omamori, much like ninja <-> spy. There are plenty of other choices for amulets the designers could have made, but seeing as they chose an omamori I think it's right to honor that choice.

I figure the majority of people don't have regular names in the FF7 universe, so any changes are probably getting it closer to what was originally intended.

Yeah Zack was always an odd one, I mean we have Cloud, Tifa, Aerith/s and...Zack? Really?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I would also note that Ama No Murakumo is used in other games. Inc other FF games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusanagi

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Heaven%27s_Cloud

They are pure concepts and swords.  Changing it would be as silly as changing Murasame to Village Rain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.O.3an_Guo

The other weapons are properly named.  They are chinese and must remain chinese. 

The reason I left http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Dragon_Crescent_Blade  as Dragon Guan Dao is because that was as close as I could get given the space and the rather awkward use of Chinese. Qing Long Yan Yue Dao would not look good in any game....  However I managed to keep some of the Chinese... the meaning Dragon and the fact it is called a Guan Dao.

I take the point with Omamori and Signed Shikishi that these things are not western, and I would have no objections to them being changed to fit in with a western audience... but I still err on the side of protecting the original choices made by the design team.  Others may not :)
« Last Edit: 2012-06-11 16:52:00 by DLPB »

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
I would only agree with the criticism on omamori. Leaving it as omamori just looks plain stupid as they clearly aren't japanese items but rather simple amulets you'd see any day.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-11 19:02:47 by Gemini »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omamori

Says here they are specifically a certain culture/religion.  They are certainly not regular western items. Using "Amulet" or something else completely destroys the connection to Buddhism and Shinto. Edit.  I understand the Japanese translates as "Amulet"  but Ultimania makes it clear that Omamori is intended. 

On similar  note:

In the Japanese version of FF7 there are plenty of references to western mythologies and ideas, including Knights of the Round, Longinus and even Saint Clip.  If we follow the logic that all non western names and mythologies should be converted into something western, we also have to concede that the Japanese "should have" converted all the western references to something they are familiar with.  Clearly, FF7 is intended to have a nice healthy mix of culture, and messing about with that, imho, takes away from the game.  At the same time it takes a massive liberty and overrules the design team.  When it comes to attacks, monster names, materia names and so forth... yeah I can see a need to dispense with 100% fact some times.  But when we are talking about specific items and specific weapons, there is nowhere to go on it.  A japanese gamer did not look at "Longinus" and think "Gee, why didn't they use Tanto."  He accepts that the game has mixtures of many different cultures.

Diversity like this can only add to the game.  Changing Odin to "God"  or Niblheim to "Mist Village"  would be every bit as stupid as altering clear and intended Japanese/Chinese culture to fit a western audience.

edit.  To further my point consider this

Pole Axe
Master Fist
Maximum Ray
Metal Knuckle
Microlaser
Missing Score
Mop
Motor Drive

All of these are named IN ENGLISH in the Japanese game.  They accept our culture.  We should accept there's.  I have made my mind up on that I am afraid.   ;D
« Last Edit: 2012-06-12 00:50:16 by DLPB »

arciks11

In other news, I had a lot of fun with this.  Yes, I have taken a liberty...  Don simply says "Girl" in japanese, but this gives him some character and the scene some humour

------------------------------
Corneo
“Woo hoo!!
   I've made up my mind!!”{NEW}
“My partner for tonight is…”
Corneo
“This spirited filly!”
Corneo
“This slender sex-bomb!”
Corneo
“This burly beaut!”

If I may make a suggestion.

I would use something like "This spunky beauty.", since I don't think words like sex-bomb and burly are apropriate when reffering to Yuffie

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
No one is referring to Yuffie.  He is referring to Tifa, Cloud and Aerith.   The localisation fits the intended targets and translation quite faithfully.  ALthough I am not sure if Corneo is referring to Cloud as fat or as muscular.  I assume muscular.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-11 21:46:01 by DLPB »

luksy

• View Profile
I would only agree with the criticism on omamori. Leaving it as omamori just looks plain stupid as they clearly aren't japanese items but rather simple amulets you'd see any day.

The image used in the International bonus disk is quite clearly an omamori, the Ultimania description reads "A Japanese style omamori that brings luck to its owner. Although it reminds one of Wutai it's actually sold in Midhir."

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Luksy completed the translation for mtcrl_9 (bridge scene corel) and I have tried to make it sound as intended.  We are not sure how Yuffie's line is intended.  We assume Cloud means "You are thinking of throwing us off"

Code: [Select]
Mt. Corel,West
{CLOUD}
“Hm…?
I've a good idea what
you're thinking of doing…”
{YUFFIE}
“Weirdo!!
Don't tempt me,
I might just do it!”
{BARRET}
“I'm back…”
{TIFA}
“Woah,that's some view…
Almost becomes part of you.”
{CLOUD}
“Scared?”
{TIFA}
“Yeah,just a little.”
#o 1 2
{CLOUD}
{CHOICE}Don't worry,I'd catch you.
{CHOICE}You wouldn't die
{CHOICE} even if you did fall off.”
{TIFA}
“Oh,you'd say
that to anyone!”
{TIFA}
“Oh,you're awful!
Is that what you're thinking!?”
{AERIS}
“{CLOUD}…”
{AERIS}
“…Yeah.”
#o 1 2
{CLOUD}
{CHOICE}Don't worry,I'd catch you.
{CHOICE}Worry about being with me,
{CHOICE} that's more dangerous.”
{AERIS}
“Oh,{CLOUD}!
You're so reliable!”
{AERIS}
“Hmm…
You might be right…”
{RED XIII}
“Humans are
strange animals…”

obesebear

• View Profile
On similar  note:

In the Japanese version of FF7 there are plenty of references to western mythologies and ideas, including Knights of the Round, Longinus and even Saint Clip.  If we follow the logic that all non western names and mythologies should be converted into something western, we also have to concede that the Japanese "should have" converted all the western references to something they are familiar with.  Clearly, FF7 is intended to have a nice healthy mix of culture, and messing about with that, imho, takes away from the game.  At the same time it takes a massive liberty and overrules the design team.  When it comes to attacks, monster names, materia names and so forth... yeah I can see a need to dispense with 100% fact some times.  But when we are talking about specific items and specific weapons, there is nowhere to go on it.  A japanese gamer did not look at "Longinus" and think "Gee, why didn't they use Tanto."  He accepts that the game has mixtures of many different cultures.

Diversity like this can only add to the game.  Changing Odin to "God"  or Niblheim to "Mist Village"  would be every bit as stupid as altering clear and intended Japanese/Chinese culture to fit a western audience.

edit.  To further my point consider this

Pole Axe
Master Fist
Maximum Ray
Metal Knuckle
Microlaser
Missing Score
Mop
Motor Drive

All of these are named IN ENGLISH in the Japanese game.  They accept our culture.  We should accept there's.  I have made my mind up on that I am afraid.   :-D
Did not know this.  Carry on then.

arciks11

No one is referring to Yuffie.  He is referring to Tifa, Cloud and Aerith.   The localisation fits the intended targets and translation quite faithfully.  ALthough I am not sure if Corneo is referring to Cloud as fat or as muscular.  I assume muscular.

Oh... it's from THAT scene. Then disregard what I said before.  :(

cbudd

• View Profile
So, I am playing through the game again using the new translation.  I'm enjoying it, thanks DLPB for all the hard work...

Is this the correct place to post errors?  If so I will post any that I catch, however small I guess :)

In the second reactor, Cloud stops to talk with Jessie.  She explains why they had a problem on the security checkpoint on the train.

Her words are... 

"It was Cloud's ID Card, I think overdid it...... that's what caused it."

I think it should be "I think I overdid it"

Again, thanks for all the hard work!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
No that is the old localisation.  Wait for R04.  See first post. :)  There have been hundreds of improvements since then across the board.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-13 04:20:08 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Glenn_%28singer%29

I wonder if Glen Glenn was intended for グリングリン  .  This singer does also appear to be a Hillbilly singer (the guys at farm were gonna be hillbilly once).  The japanese seems more Green/Glynn though... but I have seen グリン = Glenn.  There are other Glen Glenn names too inc 1 large company.

I find it more far fetched than just a pun on green but....

edit.  All right, it was more than far fetched... it is almost impossible.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-14 02:47:26 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile

Nice use of colour for the Expert's Hall.  I am very pleased with how the Expert's hall went.  We are definitely getting better at this.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-14 03:52:20 by DLPB »