Author Topic: [WIP] New sound effects for FFVII  (Read 123093 times)

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] New sound effects for FFVII
« Reply #50 on: 2010-07-07 08:58:36 »
That voiceover project won't be released any time in the foreseeable future.

Even if it were released, I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be compatible with the voiceover, as the voiceover project won't do anything to the sound effect files.

Trinity Dark

« Reply #51 on: 2010-07-07 09:09:30 »
ahh well I only heard mention that others wanted them to do that for the battles as well and you know it would be rather silly to hear cloud in one voice and then another voice in the battles that would be amusing. Just pointing out a concern.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010-07-07 15:13:21 »
While I'd like the voiceover project to come to fruition, it's currently on indefinite hold. I don't think we need to worry about compatability just yet :-\

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2010-07-09 01:22:06 »
By the way, i forgot to tell you that I heard Tifa's normal attack sound when the girl punches Big Bro at the gym (after he lost to the squats, he's hit by his boss), and when Barret hits the debris in despair, just after the plate fell and crashed sector 7. The former is not really a problem (the voice fits her, and it's hilarious ^^), but the latter... ...Let's just say I didn't know that Barret has such a feminine voice :P

Bleh...I guess there are two options then, just use a higher quality sound effect, or put the one with the voice after the sector 7 barret scene...and hope that it's not shared anymore.

Well anyway this new one here is definitely not a shared sfx :

Choco/Mog http://www.mediafire.com/file/vdb3gydnuym/chocomog.rar

Feedback is welcomed as always. :)
« Last Edit: 2010-07-09 01:23:39 by sicatrix »

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010-07-09 21:05:34 »
Good job, this sounds great !  :D

EDIT :

But it's weird : none of those original sounds (#579 to #583) sound like Choco-Mog to me. I mean, I played the PSX version quite a lot and know perfectly well how Choco-Mog sounds, and all of these seem off. But true : I never used Choco-Mog on the PC version (but I don't see why it would sound different, since all the SFX I heard are exactly the same). Did you try testing your SFXs in-game, Sicatrix ?
« Last Edit: 2010-07-09 21:23:53 by Armorvil »

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010-07-09 22:37:59 »
I can't recall the PSX sfx of the Choco/Mog, but #579 to #583 are definitely it.

It's actually one of the weirder sfx in the audio.dat, in the sense of how the game plays them.
#579 to #581 are played almost exactly the same time and overlap each other, and #582 and #583 are played the same time and overlap each other thus creating a mix. Making this one of the more difficult sfx to decipher if not for #583(long ass sound that seems to portray a dizzy effect :P )

Well here's a few more: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5lt2dzmznix/FF7_Random_8SFX.rar

483 - Summoning
473 - Flamethrower
444 - item/materia equip
386 - Escape battle
342 - Yuffie Attack(work in progress and subject to change)
284 - Bubble attack(you know from that elephant thing near chocobo farm and possibly some other attack that I hope this sfx would fit)
23 - Ice1
8 - Fire1

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010-07-10 01:05:53 »
tell me what what you guys think

85 - Bolt3 (All)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2mzdzi2zime

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2010-07-10 14:50:48 »
Very nice sounds guys. I love the first part of Bolt3, but the last part not so much (doesn't sound enough like an electrical discharge, imo). I tried to further edit myself, but it didn't come out too well. The sound is getting too loud, maybe... ...Anyway, you can download it and judge by yourself.

And that summoning one is interesting. Sounds like Bahamut somehow 8)
The Flamethrower, the item equiping, and the bubble attack are awesome, I think. My grudge with the escape battle sound is, it would sound weird when you're escaping outside. It really sounds as if someone is tap dancing, actually XD.

342 - Yuffie Attack is gonna be good, methink. The sound is too shrill though - I'd have to refrain from using 4xCut with Yuffie so I don't get a headache :P

As for Ice1, the second part of it is excellent. Really sounds like ice breaking. But that first sound gives the impression that some kind of beast is roaring, and ice doesn't break in the graphical effect. Maybe it could be used for another ice magic ?

And finally, Fire1. It's a really good sound, my only gripes with it are the fact that it feels perhaps a bit violent for it (more fitting for Fire2 perhaps ?), and that is doesn't sound deep enough. To me, anyways. Add a little more bass to the sound, and it should make a great Fire2 (I think the Fire1 I made is good enough). But it is all my opinion, and it's worth what it's worth.

EDIT :

How about this, as an escape sound ? I really like it, but I'm sure it can be improved.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-10 15:07:51 by Armorvil »

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010-07-10 16:42:25 »
Very nice sounds guys. I love the first part of Bolt3, but the last part not so much (doesn't sound enough like an electrical discharge, imo). I tried to further edit myself, but it didn't come out too well. The sound is getting too loud, maybe... ...Anyway, you can download it and judge by yourself.

I liked yours fine, though it is a little muffled and anti-climactic at the end. I tried to take your advice, so give me your feedback:

85 - Bolt3 (All)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lwmwgqjwdjj
« Last Edit: 2010-07-10 16:44:21 by ae2011 »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010-07-10 16:51:14 »
I liked yours fine, though it is a little muffled and anti-climactic at the end.

This seem to be a general issue, although I suppose it's an inevitability if these are samples from things like real-life cracks of thunder. Real sounds tend to start off loud and get quieter whereas the SFX in FF7 get louder towards the end and therefore more dramatic and more satisfying. Is there any way to easily edit these sounds to mimic the original without diminishing the quality?

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010-07-10 17:06:17 »
At first I tried layering mine on top of the original sfx like Armorvil did with some of his spells, but it seemed too noisy and jumbled and it also didn't contrast well with the realistic thunder sounds.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2010-07-10 17:17:03 »

I liked yours fine, though it is a little muffled and anti-climactic at the end. I tried to take your advice, so give me your feedback:

85 - Bolt3 (All)

Wow it's perfect. I love it !

This seem to be a general issue, although I suppose it's an inevitability if these are samples from things like real-life cracks of thunder. Real sounds tend to start off loud and get quieter whereas the SFX in FF7 get louder towards the end and therefore more dramatic and more satisfying. Is there any way to easily edit these sounds to mimic the original without diminishing the quality?

Ah you bring an interesting point, I didn't think about that. But I think it's possible to give a more dramatic feeling by playing with Audacity a bit.

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010-07-10 17:41:50 »
As for Ice1, the second part of it is excellent. Really sounds like ice breaking. But that first sound gives the impression that some kind of beast is roaring, and ice doesn't break in the graphical effect. Maybe it could be used for another ice magic ?

I'm not satisfied with that one either, I really wanted to use a type of "Shing" sound for it.
Back to the drawing board.

And finally, Fire1. It's a really good sound, my only gripes with it are the fact that it feels perhaps a bit violent for it (more fitting for Fire2 perhaps ?), and that is doesn't sound deep enough. To me, anyways. Add a little more bass to the sound, and it should make a great Fire2 (I think the Fire1 I made is good enough). But it is all my opinion, and it's worth what it's worth.

lol, so that's why. I said to myself when I listened to Fire1 "Now why didn't Square make the other sfx sound a little more like this". I completely forgot I was already using yours. I'll edit it then and use it for another fire spell.

How about this, as an escape sound ? I really like it, but I'm sure it can be improved.

Sigh...much better indeed, but I just encountered a problem with the escape sfx.
It seems all attacks that flag a character to escape(example: Midgar Zolom's Tail smack) play this sfx.
So being flung out of the battle with the sound of footsteps playing??
That's just inexcusable and Square clearly got lazy on that one.
It seems they were hoping for players to just not notice it, so that's why they made their sfx low quality(Joke ;P ). I'll make a new one or find an existing one that will fit both animations.

85 - Bolt3 (All)

Nice,nice, very nice. :) (Whoot! That's one less work for me)

Ah you bring an interesting point, I didn't think about that. But I think it's possible to give a more dramatic feeling by playing with Audacity a bit.

Not all sfx though, but yes this is definitely a case. The Choco/Mog and some other SFX I made that I haven't released yet were made to mimic the exact sound progression. The others namely shorter sfx are surprisingly much more difficult to mimic.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-10 17:54:42 by sicatrix »

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2010-07-10 20:39:48 »
Sigh...much better indeed, but I just encountered a problem with the escape sfx.
It seems all attacks that flag a character to escape(example: Midgar Zolom's Tail smack) play this sfx.
So being flung out of the battle with the sound of footsteps playing??
That's just inexcusable and Square clearly got lazy on that one.
It seems they were hoping for players to just not notice it, so that's why they made their sfx low quality(Joke ;P ). I'll make a new one or find an existing one that will fit both animations.

Oh, right !... ...Or perhaps we should just leave this one alone. After all, some of the original sounds are very good (like Fire 2, for instance). As hotdog963al said earlier, all sounds shouldn't be changed just because we can.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-10 20:42:46 by Armorvil »

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010-07-11 22:52:16 »
Update:

Added single Bolt3 and fixed the timing of 85.

69 - Bolt3
85 - Bolt3 (All)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y21cjmzzakm

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2010-07-11 23:06:45 »
Armorvil, I think your "miss" sfx sounds a bit too loud/long... or maybe not, I edited it either way:

4-Miss

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jtzvmijtmxn

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2010-07-12 00:04:26 »
Ah, yes. This new one is better than mine, that's for sure. Great job ae2011 :)

I also made a couple new sounds : a cursor one (when I was moving it around, when it was silent, I couldn't shake the feeling something was missing), a Fire2 (bleh... ...As I said, I like the original, but someone might like this new one), and a frog sound (the ribbit-like sfx you can hear when you use Frog Song).

Of these, the only one I could test in-game is the cursor sound. I willingly chose another whoosh sound, as if a sword slashed through air. I like it, I think it's a lot more pleasant than the click sound, or no sound at all.

EDIT :

And here is #254. It's not too bad, but maybe I shouldn't have used a zipper sound. That's because you often hear this sfx twice in a row, so it gives the impression that the characters have a lot of zippers on them :P (fitting for characters designed by Nomura, but I don't recall Aeris' dress showing any zipper  ::) ). It's hilarious during the Wall-Market events, though.

Oh, and nice Bolt3s, AE ^^
« Last Edit: 2010-07-12 00:35:04 by Armorvil »

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2010-07-12 01:29:54 »
here's some more.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ean0dztdzgy/FF7_Random_SFX2.rar

17- known uses - (Cloud Attack -1st part climhazzard- 1st 2 hits cross slash)
22- Aeris Critical hit
23- Ice1 (New version)
24- bite attack
26- known uses - (Cloud critical attack- 2nd part climhazzard(fits very well IMO) - 3rd slash cross slash-  Initial Blade Beam hit)
29- Demi hit
32- High jump - (Two versions) - (With and without a Tifa voice) Known uses - high jump of meteor strike.
359- Zemzelet wind attack
368- Known uses- (Swamp shoot travel- Blade beam Travel)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2010-07-12 01:37:20 »
Are you guys documenting this anywhere in particular?

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2010-07-12 04:23:21 »
I also made a couple new sounds: a cursor one (when I was moving it around, when it was silent, I couldn't shake the feeling something was missing), a Fire2 (bleh... ...As I said, I like the original, but someone might like this new one), and a frog sound (the ribbit-like sfx you can hear when you use Frog Song).

Of these, the only one I could test in-game is the cursor sound. I willingly chose another whoosh sound, as if a sword slashed through air. I like it, I think it's a lot more pleasant than the click sound, or no sound at all.

EDIT :

And here is #254. It's not too bad, but maybe I shouldn't have used a zipper sound. That's because you often hear this sfx twice in a row, so it gives the impression that the characters have a lot of zippers on them :P (fitting for characters designed by Nomura, but I don't recall Aeris' dress showing any zipper  ::) ). It's hilarious during the Wall-Market events, though.

I really like your sounds Armorvil. But I felt like they needed some work:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tnnjwyhwnxh

0 - Cursor (maybe it's just me, but I think the whoosh sound is a bit much. this one is really simple, quiet, and it fits amazingly well)
9 - Fire2 (sounds great, just needed a fade out)
154 - Frog Song (also really good, but I killed that ridiculous buzz/hum)
254 - Change Clothes (i thought the first part was perfect. the zipper is kinda loud and ends abruptly, so it might be better without it. i added shuffling clothes in the back)

Please let me know what you think, and I hope I'm not being too critical, I'm just trying to help :)

Sicatrix: Verry verry nice sounds, including the improved 23-Ice. Keep em coming

Speaking of which, are we going to consolidate these into one designated package, or just leave it up to preference? I think we should try and decide/vote on the best sounds that we have doubles for, and ultimately create an official patch. Sorry if I'm getting ahead because I know this is still really new, I'm just thinking long-term.

Also...one small, very important thing that everyone needs to implement as a general rule for all these sounds.... PLEASE give everything a short fade out, just enough so it doesn't clip at the end
« Last Edit: 2010-07-12 04:46:07 by ae2011 »

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2010-07-12 05:05:07 »
Speaking of which, are we going to consolidate these into one designated package, or just leave it up to preference? I think we should try and decide/vote on the best sounds that we have doubles for, and ultimately create an official patch. Sorry if I'm getting ahead because I know this is still really new, I'm just thinking long-term.

I think that's the idea...I think, hence we give each other feedback and If we can't agree on some sfx then  multiple wav files can be included with the patch. IMO, the sfx that we keep sharing as of now is not the important thing, but the listing of the 700+ sounds and when and where they are used. Armorvil already posted his when I asked him to and I'm currently in the process of merging it with mine and refining it. If you also have a list then smack it here, since I've noticed that some people here are looking for the audio.dat documentation.

Also...one small, very important thing that everyone needs to implement as a general rule for all these sounds.... PLEASE give everything a short fade out, just enough so it doesn't clip at the end

Thanks for that. Since I did a mass sfx change a few days ago I forgot which ones didn't have proper fades or normalizations. I guess these were one of them. ;P
« Last Edit: 2010-07-12 05:15:57 by sicatrix »

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2010-07-12 05:52:56 »
I think that's the idea...I think, hence we give each other feedback and If we can't agree on some sfx then  multiple wav files can be included with the patch. IMO, the sfx that we keep sharing as of now is not the important thing, but the listing of the 700+ sounds and when and where they are used. Armorvil already posted his when I asked him to and I'm currently in the process of merging it with mine and refining it. If you also have a list then smack it here, since I've noticed that some people here are looking for the audio.dat documentation.

Yeah, I've been going strictly off Armorvil's jpgs for the list of files. Weeemus used to have one, but lost it when his computer crashed. I agree that this is probably the most important thing to do right now. Could you post your list when you get a chance?

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #72 on: 2010-07-12 08:03:02 »
Are you guys documenting this anywhere in particular?

Uhh, yea, guys? This is pretty cool. Can we have some documentation please? What's done/missing?

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2010-07-12 11:54:02 »
I don't know about Sicatrix and Ae2011, but no - aside from the jpegs I posted, I don't have any documentation. What exactly do you guys need (aside from the updated list of the +700 sfx) ?

I really like your sounds Armorvil. But I felt like they needed some work:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tnnjwyhwnxh

0 - Cursor (maybe it's just me, but I think the whoosh sound is a bit much. this one is really simple, quiet, and it fits amazingly well)
9 - Fire2 (sounds great, just needed a fade out)
154 - Frog Song (also really good, but I killed that ridiculous buzz/hum)
254 - Change Clothes (i thought the first part was perfect. the zipper is kinda loud and ends abruptly, so it might be better without it. i added shuffling clothes in the back)

Please let me know what you think, and I hope I'm not being too critical, I'm just trying to help :)

You're not being too critical ;) I agree that all your changes sound way better. And the zipper definitely needed to go. I can tell you have more talent than me in this department !

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind.

EDIT:

@Sicatrix : GREAT new ones ! The only two I'm not sure about are #17 and #24. I think that the #17 you previously posted sounds better. As for #24, I think it sounds like some very old Neo-Geo/Arcade Beat'em-all game. I picture more something like the sound of a beast, some kind of a guttural noise when it bites you. It's kinda hard to describe with words. I tried to make one a while back and ended up with this, but it sucks in so many ways it's not funny :-P Should give you an idea of how I envision the sfx, though. But once again, it's all just my opinion, and blah blah blah...
« Last Edit: 2010-07-12 12:39:16 by Armorvil »

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2010-07-12 13:59:17 »
I don't know about Sicatrix and Ae2011, but no - aside from the jpegs I posted, I don't have any documentation. What exactly do you guys need (aside from the updated list of the +700 sfx) ?
Hopefully Sicatrix can merge his list with yours, and we can continue to ID sounds in-game. You should edit the front page explaining what's going on, what we've got done/working on, and the sfx list as it gets updated.

IMO, the sfx that we keep sharing as of now is not the important thing, but the listing of the 700+ sounds and when and where they are used. Armorvil already posted his when I asked him to and I'm currently in the process of merging it with mine and refining it.
I think that this should be our priority. Maybe even more experienced people could help figure out where they're used in the game. Then we can focus on making replacements. As of right now I only have a list of 125/723 sfx, going straight off what you guys have posted.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-12 14:06:21 by ae2011 »