Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 Pokemon-Type Mod. Capture and use monsters in battle !  (Read 2848 times)

ffviipkmnproject

• View Profile
Hello, if you imagine usual Final Fantasy 7, but with one of the following ways:

- In battle, you can have the usual party of three, but instead of Cloud etc. it is made up out of the monsters that you face. You could have a party of any enemy that you have beaten before. You would start off with three MPs (the beginning enemy) but late game you could have e.g. a Bomb, a Cactuar, and perhaps a Master Tonberry. Or/& so on.

Or,

- In battle, you have 6 different enemies on your side, which you would have pre-chosen. And in the battle, the first one would be in battle. If it was defeated, you would get to select one of the other five. And so-on.

And so, this is the basic idea. I made a website about it/with the idea on wix. Just a simple site to map the idea and to gather support:
https://ffviipkmnproject.wixsite.com/mysite

I will check on here in my message inbox for any help, suggestions, ideas, etc.
As well as the email address mentioned on the website

If you imagine it, I think it would be really cool. It let's us appreciate the enemies that we have seen before. But put them, and only them, to tactile use, and use them to take on harder enemies, which can then be used for even harder enemies.

You could also use them tactfully, such as, for example, an enemy that might put others to sleep, but, might have really low HP. And so, while it may KO itself very early on, if it would be very useful if the enemy slept, it could then still be useful, even if it was an early-game catch.

One idea that comes to mind are the floating heads that you fight in the desert prison ! They look a bit like balls/spheres. Their AI randomly either attacks or heals who they face. And so, against the Gi Tribe boss, where Cure spells hurt it -- the floating heads could be useful allies to use ! And so on

Thanks for reading !
« Last Edit: 2017-07-14 13:50:21 by ffviipkmnproject »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
This would be a very substantial mod, probably the biggest undertaking in FF7 modding history. The modifications to the savemap alone would be overwhelming.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Without the source code, it would be a near impossible undertaking.  Even with source, it would be v difficult.  Some modifications and ideas could be done.

ffviipkmnproject

• View Profile
Hello, thank you for the comments so far !

To what has been said. I have some experience with modding. I know of mods, have seen people mod games, know some programming, seen some Final Fantasy 7 mods, etc.. However, at the same time, have little Final Fantasy 7 modding experience myself. So that is my experience level with the following.

One, while I think it is difficult myself, I have seen such mods as Hardcore and Nightmare. While I haven't gone through and checked if that, which would need to be modded, was done, in some way, on there. I did notice that they seemed to change a lot. And so, maybe we could in fact use these mechanics.

Next, I have considered a couple/few ways that it might be done (although hopefully there are other ways, too) :
- One, is to manipulate materia and character stats. IDK about switching out graphical properties, but we may be able to give our party every other attribute that enemies have, usually. And so, if we assume that we will get to choose the moves to do. We start off by taking away their limits. (Or, having to ask players to ignore these). (I try to avoid bad stuff like this). And then, ideally, make, from the start, the entire party level 99. As well as all having the same stats and health.
They will then all have one materia slot (or be told that they are only allowed to place one at a time).
We then make a modded materia for each enemy. So, if you killed a... Tonberry (whichever enemy), the battle would end and we would get a ''Tonberry'' materia !
Upon equipping, it would alter the chosen person's stats, HP, resistances, etc. -- to that of a ''Tonberry'', as well as programmed-in moves, mirroring a Tonberry's exactly.
So you see, aside from appearance (which could maybe be done somehow, too) everything else would match what is desired.
- Another way might be, if possible, to somehow hide and make invincible the party. I have no idea the mechanics. I know that in some modded battles, if you hack in Aeris or Sephiroth and are on certain discs (or, something like that) they cease to appear (although I am not sure if the game crashes if you filled three slots like that). And then, had a battle for every single monster combo. And it knew, upon which things you selected in the menu, to know which battle to load.
Hopefully, ''your side'' could be exactly the same, just be programmed/changed to attack the ''enemy'' instead of the party.
Or, they could start off perma-manipulated, where you could then use them and their moves.
- Similar to the way above, you could somehow have Aeris limit, where everyone is invincible, but all of the time. Pair that up with perma-manipulate. IDK about making them then invincible. But if you won, well IDK how to make it win or game over. Perhaps, if the very last enemy dies, whoever it is, they do a move that will 100% kill off the manipulated monsters, thus leaving just the party, and thus winning the battle. However, well maybe the same again for allies. If the last of three, whichever dies last, then does a seqence that stops your/the party from being invincible, and then does a move that will 100% kill them. Thus game over (or just trust the player to ''reset'').

Basically though, instead of having to mod the party too much. I am hoping we can use the original monster AI -- just switch it around a little.
Or/& little tricks like this