Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3035496 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03c)
« Reply #1550 on: 2015-06-02 23:03:35 »
how about 'that guy is ill' and doesn't she do a wave hand animation implying she is pointing to him?

I don't think that will be picked up (if she does).. and "that guy" still indicates someone you can see on screen, which you can't at that point in time.  I also avoided using "guy" in that scene because it doesn't sound very feminine for Aerith.  Tifa, yes.

The scene itself is badly scripted.  Who stops outside a pipe randomly to declare the person inside is ill?  Aerith asks if Cloud can do something about him, but what are the odds this soldier knows something about medicine?  It was just a reason to show the player the ill man because he is part of the story about the Reunion. The writers wanted to hammer home the point about who he is and had to make a scene.  What they should have done is have that scene INSIDE the pipe (I doubt most players would miss going in).
« Last Edit: 2015-06-02 23:08:35 by DLPB »

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: 2015-06-02 23:10:24 »
is there a video of the scene, what is the exact literal translation.

I mean, if the original is vague, the translation should then be vague, in that case it's then an original script issue.

but if i was to ignore the original script, assuming it is vague, then i guess any normal person would say, in that situation.

'that man in there is unwell.', or ' ill ', actually it's hard to tell what someone would say at that point, i think unwell is something aerith would say, as she is more proper spoken, but i think 'taht man in there is....' sounds right.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-02 23:14:41 by Rufus »

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: 2015-06-02 23:15:24 »
just saw your update: okay no i don't think all players would go in the pipe, i understand what the scene is about now, you want to direct the player into the pipe, okay in that case i would think IRL if i was walking down the street with someone they would say.

'is that man okay? he looks very unwell.'

honestly that sounds way better, this is generally what someone would actually do, and it would direct the player to the pipe, but i'd need to see the scene again to confirm,

--

do you plan to create a blogspot or website or somekind detailing your findings of the script, for explaining things like 'crime hazard' and such.

I really want a detailed report of somekind of the translations of the game.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-02 23:18:21 by Rufus »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: 2015-06-02 23:17:07 »
She is outside the pipe and it isn't obvious enough to have dialogue that is too vague.  It really has to direct the player to the pipe because of how it's been scripted.  So "in there" is pretty much essential.  "The person in there is ill"  isn't a bad line, it's just being analyzed more because of what the original line was.

do you plan to create a blogspot or website or somekind detailing your finding of the script, for explaining things like 'crime hazard' and such.

The non dialogue reasoning is added to the excel document.

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: 2015-06-02 23:20:57 »
its sounds too much like a statement, should it not be 'hey, that person in there is ill', but then again Final fantasy is a bit wierd with dialogue stopping/starting without there being a real cutscene.

I think that document may need updated, didn't you mentiond earlier that you reverted back do mideel? as your document still has Midhir, and its in blue.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-02 23:26:34 by Rufus »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: 2015-06-02 23:27:01 »
I guess if we look at it from a real world point of view, and someone stopped you outside of a pipe to warn you about the person inside, they'd say

"Cloud, the person in here/there is ill"

"Cloud, there's a sick man in there"

And so on...

But it's still clunky...  In real life, you'd go into the pipe and say "What's wrong with him!?"

as your document still has Midhir, and its in blue.

No, Midhir is the correct translation and has been kept, along with Niblheim and Da Zhao. Had they all appeared too much in preqs and seqs, I would have added an option also (well, apart from Niblheim because it's so similar). As it is, only "District" can be changed to "Sector".  Character names and most of series canon can be changed back.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-02 23:36:59 by DLPB »

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: 2015-06-02 23:38:15 »
well its a game, she isn't really stopping cloud, the game is just stopping you from moving your character which would spoil the scene, in general i don't think you can ever move your character freely while there is text, outside certain situations, the game just doens't want you being an ass and running around her in circles while she says something.

i think its actually meant to be like they are walking past the pipe and she says 'is that man okay? he looks very unwell.', to me that looks fine, if you can change the animatino so that they are both forced to walk slowly while she says that, then it would look great, good scene, good dialogue etc, heck it can even force you into the pipe afterwards, that would make a lot more sense.

Lol, I'm really sure you said you reverted back to the mideel, or maybe you said you offered the optin.

i know you said you don't discuss yellow ones, but are you sure HP<-->MP shouldbe repalced with just 'swap' when the literal is 'HP/MP Swap', how will people know what it does.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-02 23:40:07 by Rufus »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: 2015-06-02 23:39:46 »

i know you said you don't discuss yellow ones, but are you sure HP<-->MP shouldbe repalced with just 'swap' when the literal is 'HP/MP Swap', how will people know what it does.

The description box.

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: 2015-06-02 23:44:00 »
oh okay, honestly i guess people really need to see the text in context of the game.

the spreadsheet is good, but man it deserves soo much more than that, especially with the lifestreams artical on mis translations, it really needs a website post with discussions and explanations, with proper sections so you can find what your looking for.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: 2015-06-02 23:57:21 »
It's the work involved.  I've pretty much done as much as I am willing to on that side of things and am moving on to Weapon and finishing the walkthrough. At some point, I have to call it quits.  :-D

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: 2015-06-03 00:08:08 »
I went in the pipe after reading "This guy are sick", so I'd say it had its intended effect of directing the player.  As for the translation, a more realistic day to day statement (following how the scripting plays out) would be "That guy looks really sick" or "Cloud, that guy looks really sick"    If you want to stray from the original japanese, you could add "Should we help him?"(or some variant) to the end of it, that way it doesn't come off as holding the players hand.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: 2015-06-03 00:18:37 »
You have already gone into the pipe when the scene is activated ;)  You are on your way in when she stops you.  But then if she says "This/That man is"  you haven't yet seen him so it sounds awkward.  It won't sound awkward to most here because we all know who is in there, but first time it would. :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: 2015-06-03 00:27:53 »
#xy 174 88
{CLOUD}
“Got the next job lined up?
  Double it. Three thousand!”
------------------------------
#xy 8 48
{BARRET}
“What did you just say!…!?”

This has been updated to the above.  mds7pb_1

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: 2015-06-03 00:29:59 »
oh yeah i see your point, i remember it now, but that is the way the game does things.

but no you do see him, your character does, but you don't , that seems fine, she can say 'this guy is ill', i realised she stops you, moves back then you turn to face her, but that is the way the game does things, see my previous post for an explanation of why that's done.

but if your going that way anyway, maybe it should just be inside the pipe, i was under the impression it was done as you walked by the pipe, clearly i remembered wrong.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: 2015-06-03 04:03:19 »
"The person in there is ill"  isn't a bad line, it's just being analyzed more because of what the original line was.

That line is okay but what about "There's a a sick person in there"?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: 2015-06-03 05:14:05 »
That line is okay but what about "There's a a sick person in there"?

It works about as well as the current line and i dunno why, but I always hate repeating words - like "there".  But it can work.  Perhaps even "There's a sick person in here".  To be honest, even that isn't markedly better than what we have currently.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-03 05:15:44 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: 2015-06-03 05:17:11 »
"ill" is not used in day-to-day speech in the US. At the very least, replacing "ill" with "sick" will probably be an improvement.

If you wanna take a little more liberty, something like "Don't go in there, Cloud! The guy in there is sick."

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: 2015-06-03 05:44:46 »
That won't work because she wants him to help the guy :P

I am not sure where "ill" came from, I remember "sick" being criticized by a few people (it seems every line like this has a load of debate and I really think we are over-thinking them a lot of the time). I did have it as sick originally.  The line probably doesn't get any better than "The man/person in there is sick". Although, I'm not sure it's a man (could be a teen), so perhaps person is more accurate anyway. 

It would have helped if the writers had just allowed the player to go into the pipe.
{AERIS}
“The person in there is ill.”{NEW}
“I heard that someone helped
  him after he collapsed nearby.”

That sounds pretty natural though, I have to say.  Let's take a vote:

Ill or sick?  I go ill because I just feel Aerith using that word there and it sounds ok to me.  But Covarr doesn't like its sound, so maybe this is regional again.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-03 06:10:01 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: 2015-06-03 06:33:17 »
As of R04 (next release), only the models and translation will be updated in future releases. Weapon will simply be the minigame updates (which aren't fully completed in Reunion) in R04.

I will be moving on to one complete work using the old font and borders. Basically, all of the Reunion's mods will be melded into one complete work for my other (and final) project. That way I can concentrate on one job, not making all manner of mods work together.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-03 06:56:12 by DLPB »

Liquid_Vegeta

• View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: 2015-06-03 07:50:38 »
Hi DLPB,

Saw the article on Eurogamer and decided to give reunion a try and it seems like a really great job you, Luka and everyone else have done so thanks for all your hard work :)

Only thing I was disappointed with was the lack of menu mod for the Steam version, will this ever be compatible with Steam? Reunion is much more user friendly for Steam/newer users than Bootleg and the menu mod looks so nice, or is it simply not possible?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: 2015-06-03 08:11:15 »
Simply not possible :)  But you can convert Steam into 1998 and then the menu mod will work with it.

I like the menu mod a lot, but in recent times I've found it doesn't fit the game style like the old font and crappy borders.  So it's not that big of a loss :P

Liquid_Vegeta

• View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: 2015-06-03 08:30:17 »
Ah that's a shame, thanks for replying though, I might convert it but I'm a sucker for achievements lol! I might just settle for the old one since converting seems to be a bit of a pain anyway.

Next on my hit-list was going to be replacing the backgrounds with Omzy's field pack but even that looks like you need to convert it to the old version. Why is the Steam version so unfriendly to all these great mods?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: 2015-06-03 08:35:45 »
Ah that's a shame, thanks for replying though, I might convert it but I'm a sucker for achievements lol! I might just settle for the old one since converting seems to be a bit of a pain anyway.

Next on my hit-list was going to be replacing the backgrounds with Omzy's field pack but even that looks like you need to convert it to the old version. Why is the Steam version so unfriendly to all these great mods?

Long story short: The new code they are using is based on the one made here by Aali with the modding ability removed.  They removed it likely because to mod the game is seen as a negative and not something a professional company would encourage.  It's a short sighted approach.  Red Alert has now been released for free (because it is so old) and modders are free to mod it (and have), and the source code for Worms Armageddon was given to two fans to update the game over the years. 

I think what also makes FF7 different is that they are still milking it dry.  Seriously, Square-Enix are milking the cash cow so much that the udders have snapped off.  FFX PS3, FFX PS4, FF7 Advent Children, Before Crisis, Dirge, Crisis Core, FFX-2

And on and on.  FF7 is still being released and rereleased. 

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: 2015-06-03 13:07:11 »
Note for Steam users:

A small oversight on my part. Please find window.bin, which will be in this folder: \Data\Kernel

and copy it to \Data\lang-en\kernel

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: 2015-06-03 22:52:06 »
Hey Dan, I have another quick question regarding your decision to use the old font/style/menu.  With regards to you using the original system, how would it fare in comparison to the work you've done already?  For example, in the overhaul, it states that you've corrected the alignment issues and so on and so forth; will the original menu from R04 onwards receive the same treatment as did the overhaul or will it be largely untouched?