Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3025660 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R04c)
« Reply #2525 on: 2016-01-28 21:45:11 »
What's happening is, he's loading a save file with two different versions and for whatever reason it seems to be dipping the strength stat down when loading it through 7H with the MO.exe enabled. Did you change materia equip effects, by any chance? That's the only thing I can think of that would change stats through an .exe on its own.

Hyperthesis

• View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: 2016-01-28 23:38:55 »
Size limit.  There's nothing I can do about it sadly... the design of the menu means increasing it leaves a huge gap that makes the menu look awful.  Auto size is too hard to program for the main menu.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the original command menu could display "Summon" fully, but your version can only display "Sum" (we're talking about in battle, right)? For a menu overhaul, that seems like a major step backward. Is there a reason we can't we use the original menu in R04?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: 2016-01-28 23:59:18 »
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the original command menu could display "Summon" fully, but your version can only display "Sum" (we're talking about in battle, right)? For a menu overhaul, that seems like a major step backward. Is there a reason we can't we use the original menu in R04?

The original menu looks like dog shit :P  Have a look at it and compare it to mine.  Mine is a trade-off and a better one than the original.  I can make the new menu display "Summon" fully, but it's futile because it makes it look bad. It's not a step backwards to compromise Summon for Sum and gain a neater menu because of it. 
« Last Edit: 2016-01-29 02:53:20 by DLPB »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2528 on: 2016-01-29 02:56:00 »
The ff7_mo.exe he speaks of is just an ff7.exe with only MO R03e (no options selected) installed. It was renamed to ff7_mo.exe for 7th Heaven use.

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2529 on: 2016-01-30 03:30:06 »
When I installed Reunion 04c on my Steam FF7, I selected "series canon" and deselected "incorrect character names", but Barret's default name is "Barrett". Will renaming him "Barret" mess up the fixed-length character name option, and if so, which combination of options do I select and deselect to have canon default character names like Barret, Aerith, Zack, Elena, Reno, Marlene, Gast, Shera, Mideel, Mt. Nibel, Ramuh, Tseng, Elmyra, and Moogle?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: 2016-01-30 11:57:43 »
Incorrect character names should be selected.  Those are the "canon" names for FF7.  Incorrectly translated - but the ones now adopted as canon by Square-Enix.  Some, but not all, of the changes can be changed back by selecting all the options. Read the Help file.

As for Barrett being affected - you're right.  That's an oversight ;)  I'll need to make sure that's reflected in any change. The only difference will be that a minority of dialogue boxes will be slightly too large with Barrett's dialogue.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-30 14:11:54 by DLPB »

Liquid_Vegeta

• View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: 2016-01-30 13:46:33 »
This has probably been answered, but with regards to the menu enhancement:

I notice it mentions that you've put PS button icons back in (which is amazing) but have you also made it so that the button layout is the same as the PS version? From what I recall the default button layout for the pc version was a bit strange.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: 2016-01-30 14:09:13 »
The layout is decided by configuration menu.  I'm not sure what it defaults to on your pad or any pad.  The menu uses the PSX defaults and the config menu should be changed manually to match it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: 2016-01-30 21:32:10 »
IlDucci has updated the icons and fixed a few things too.  He's done a great job all round with the graphical fixes and what not.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: 2016-01-30 23:24:52 »
I'm also gonna use Cloud with sword next time.  No idea why I didn't do it before.  It will mean certain edits needed in case the option is used... so Zax and Cloud both can't have the sword at same time and so on.

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: 2016-01-31 02:56:54 »
I'm also gonna use Cloud with sword next time.  No idea why I didn't do it before.  It will mean certain edits needed in case the option is used... so Zax and Cloud both can't have the sword at same time and so on.

Next time what? You're talking about Model Overhaul? And Cloud and Zax being seen at the same time, that only happens in the Lifestream projections no?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: 2016-01-31 14:21:52 »
They are together in at least one scene and it will need editing.

In other news:

tonysonico has discovered that the graphic for the tarot cards actually has the correct translation on it.  The Hierophant is sometimes known as The Pope but, in standard tarot, and on the ff7 graphic, it's The Hierophant.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/e/e1/Cards-ffvii-tarot.png/revision/latest?cb=20120322152523
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierophant

So The Pope has been changed to The Hierophant
« Last Edit: 2016-01-31 14:32:43 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: 2016-01-31 22:38:57 »
IlDucci has been hard at work and the icons are now finalized.

Cool, no?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Kl04es5qkqNDh0Uk8wMHpoSHM/view?usp=sharing

About as good as I hoped for.

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: 2016-02-01 05:08:32 »
Looking perfect to me, they are neat, i like the directions and the shadowing on the symbols is nice. Good job guys.

Ah right, there's the truck scene too involving both models. Yeah I just didn't get the meaning of "next time" in your sentence and wasn't sure if you were talking about Model Overhaul.

The Hierophant. Nice catch.

About gameplay, I was reading what you wrote some time ago:

Also a few other niggles I will add to this thread in time. One of them is that the Midgardsormr should be faster so you cannot escape it, should be a lot harder, so you cannot kill it near start, and should not return once you have killed it.  It should be given boss status.  I plan to do this.  At moment, even when you first get there, with poison, you can kill it. You can also make it all way across the marsh if you time it right.  Seems at certain points the MS will not chase you.  And you can cheat by saving in middle of swamp and reloading. Should need a Chocobo to stand a chance at beginning of game.

and I'm all for that, that'd be a nice addition to Weapon.
The creature is meant to be a beast, fearsome and unavoidable without a chocobo (maybe get rid of the shadow and force one battle in the swamp for each time you're walking in it/ trying to cross it, per loaded session).
I see him as an optional boss which you can return to later on when you've grown stronger, and so he should be well more rewarding if you manage to beat him (with a nice piece of prize dropped).
We could even imagine a mini sidequest about his defeat, involving the Grean family or people at Kalm, why not.

And having the capability of learning Bêta so early in the game is a joke and unbalance a big portion of the game.

The only problem with the guy being meant to be unique (you see where I'm going) is that damn scene which inspired Dracul himself. Big conflict there, having that scene defeats the whole idea, but shit removing it would be a sacrifice, because it's good and meaningful at that moment of the game...

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: 2016-02-01 20:41:28 »
They are together in at least one scene and it will need editing.

This means you will need an additional Cloud model without the sword equipped.
Spoiler: show
If you add it you should use it for scene where Cloud burry Aerith in the see to be consistent with the FMV.

Granfalloon

• View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: 2016-02-02 12:22:12 »
Hey DLPB, I registered to the forums just to thank you for your awesome work. Seriously, playing this amazing game with proper sentence structure and the little tweaks and options you provided is so important. I'm very grateful for all the work you put in!

I did have one question/favor to ask and I'm sure you have your reasons but the playstation icons are throwing me off so badly while playing. It's like you've fixed the rest of the game but now my buttons don't match with anything, I think I'd rather even have the default "[CANCEL] button" prompts than experience the dysphoria of seeing PS button prompts on an xbox controller. Will there ever be an alternative to this or is there anything I can do to fix it? I've tried asking ThunderPeel2001 about his mod here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179295659&tscn=1454352198 to see if he could make it compatible with yours but he said it was impossible and to ask you so I'm here asking you now if there's anything that could be done.

Sorry if this has been discussed to death somewhere, I've tried searching and found no real fix for it.

Liquid_Vegeta

• View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: 2016-02-02 15:28:52 »
Pretty sure DLPB mentioned in this (or another thread) that you can replace the file containing the ps icons with xbox ones but that was up to the user to do so. I intend to do this when I get round to FF7 again so I too would appreciate a few instructions on how to do this :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: 2016-02-02 18:57:32 »
The Reunion restores the PSX in as many places as it can - and the icons are part of it.  Since that's how the original game was to be played.  It's not too difficult to memorize what is assigned to X if you have not got a PS pad.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: 2016-02-03 02:14:02 »
I'm separating any original game errors that haven't been fixed yet and placing them in new tab

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KBBbeilQTCAJJIOqOoLMnkKb-nEpqEoV5Ih4uW-Yoo8/edit#gid=235822118

If anyone wants to note any that we didn't fix - either PSX or PC or both - let me know.

Granfalloon

• View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: 2016-02-03 15:39:17 »
The Reunion restores the PSX in as many places as it can - and the icons are part of it.  Since that's how the original game was to be played.  It's not too difficult to memorize what is assigned to X if you have not got a PS pad.
Well, I can emulate the original PSX version just fine on PC and even have an the option to apply the translation you provided on the first page to the original disc image, which is great, but if I want a good translation on PC/Steam version(with all it's perks like mods and achievments) I don't have any option and have to pretend I'm hitting the right buttons? That just seems superfluous when we have access to Beacause/FF7 Re-Translation project on the original PSX version.

There's just no way to just get the Beacause/FF7 Re-Translation only without the rest of the Reunion mods/PS Buttons for PC/Steam?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: 2016-02-03 17:16:19 »
No, since Beacause and the menu now come as one.  I did it that way to avoid options...  to avoid the issue that plagued the last installer.  You may be able to do a search - replace using Makou Reactor on flevel.lgp

But X comes as easy to me as cancel...  I know all the PS buttons easily. I'm sure most people do.  The config menu does list the explanation with the button also.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-03 17:19:18 by DLPB »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: 2016-02-03 19:55:20 »
I read something on ff7.fr, don't know what's it worth, but I thought it may be worth mentioning here. If it was already known or considered by you then nevermind.
They say that in the American bêta some names were more faithful to the Japanese version before they got changed in the American final version. And their example is Pale Horse, which was Pyro Holes in the American bêta.
So, according to ff7.fr, Pyro Holes is more faithful to the Japanese version than Pale Horse is.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: 2016-02-03 20:10:00 »
No chance.  We went off the original Japanese game and text - and you can clearly see Pale Horse is correct.  Not to mention "Pyro holes" makes 0 sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_horse

Does.

Not sure what they're talking about - but it's nonsense - like a lot of stuff said about the game.

As I said before, though - a lot of times :P - the blue and orange and white entries are finalized.  Unless there is an absolute fact that contravenes it.  Recently, "The Pope" was changed - but that was purely because although it is still correct, the card and the graphic show the variant.

What I am trying to say is that the blue, orange and white entries are exceedingly unlikely to be wrong or to need a change.  Pale Horse is 100% correct.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-03 20:14:35 by DLPB »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: 2016-02-03 20:21:59 »
Roger.

My personal guess has always been that the name is a reference to the Apocalypse.

Not sure what they're talking about - but it's nonsense - like a lot of stuff said about the game.

Right!

As I said before, though - a lot of times :P - the blue and orange and white entries are finalized.

Ow the white ones too!! Sorry I didn't realise

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: 2016-02-03 20:28:46 »
Blue and white are the same thing, basically.  The difference is blue has been changed from the original game.