Author Topic: [PSX/PC] Alternate Fantasy (v3.2 & v6.0)  (Read 266405 times)

Tirlititi

• View Profile
Re: [PSX/PC] Alternate Fantasy (v3.2 & v5.0)
« Reply #150 on: 2019-11-01 11:14:25 »
I translated everything that was required so you can play in any language, yes (the mod even unlocks the japanese language that is not available by default).

Nesouk

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 2019-11-01 22:03:17 »
Alright will play in French then thanks for the answer, I'm gonna do an LP of the mod actually ^^

Viner

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2019-11-07 17:00:30 »
Hello!
To begin with I would like to thank the creator of this mod. I love FF9 very much and went through the game many times. With this mod I got the feelings as in the first walkthrough.

I would like to talk about "The 4 Guardians"
Lich has the Mega Death spell and it’s absolutely unnecessary. It does not add difficulty. It simply kills the whole party. The battle is difficult without this spell.
I won this fight with Quina's Auto-Life spell but I can't win without it. I made about 50 attempts and every time I lose it because of Mega Death.
Maybe there is some protection against this spell? Mag eva works 1 time out of 10. Cheat Fate does not work.
The fight with Ozma was easier but Quina was also needed there.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2019-11-08 15:21:59 »
Maybe there is some protection against this spell?
Yes.

Well, actually, there are several protections. Of course, you can jump with Freya to avoid it, Auto-Life to survive to it and also it doesn't target all the party in this fight but *only* 3 characters. It can't be avoided with magic evasion though.
But then, I'm saying that there is yet another protection.

Congrats nonetheless! It sure is meant to be an harder fight than Ozma.
I don't know how much of that fight you've seen actually, because it's also meant to have some replay value ^^
« Last Edit: 2019-11-08 15:28:26 by Tirlititi »

WanderingBlu

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2019-11-17 20:14:24 »
EDIT: I fixed it.
« Last Edit: 2019-11-18 05:37:09 by WanderingBlu »

gledson999

• Listem to my Story, this maybe our last chance ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 2020-01-16 01:19:19 »
What feature are for PSX version?

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2020-01-17 17:35:28 »
The PSX version mainly lacks Beatrix recruitability, the new bosses and the rework of the battle mechanics when comparing to the PC version.

In more details,
Spoiler: show
A few dialogs that were suppressed during the game's development were put back in this mod. It includes the dialogs from the "Hidden Dialogs" patch plus a few others for which only the texts were kept.

Abilities, be it the player characters' or the enemies' ones, have been modified.
One of the point of the mod is too enhance the statuses. Some basic spells deal statuses additionnally to their damage.

Here is a list of the principal changes for the player's abilities:

Zidane
------
Trance skills deal much less damage
What's that?! inflicts Blind to everyone now
Annoy has been replaced by Free Energy: a regular attack with 100% accuracy and no backrow reduce
Sacrifice has been replaced by Regenerate: use an ether on the team
Lucky Seven has been replaced by Warm Up: increase Zidane's strength by 25%
Thievery has been replaced by Transcend: bring Zidane to Trance

Vivi
----
Fire spells have a chance to inflict Heat (base: 5%, 10% and then 20%)
Ice spells have a chance to inflict Freeze (base: 5%, 10% and then 20%)
Thunder spells have a chance to inflict Slow (base: 10%, 20% and then 40%)
Slow has been replaced by Annoy (80% of inflicting trouble)
Demi has been balanced from 30% of max HP with 40% accuracy to 25% of max HP for 80% accuracy
Death has been replaced by Gradual Petrify (75% accuracy)
Break is now an Earth elemental attack in addition to inflicting Petrify (30% accuracy)
Water sometimes inflict Shell to its targets
Meteor has been replaced by Waterga: Water damage plus Silence (50% accuracy)

White Magic
-----------
Panacea only cures Poison but is multi-targeting
Stona only cures Gradual Petrify but is multi-targeting
Confuse and Berserk are now magical attacks in addition to inflicting statuses
Most of status-inflicting spells have their accuracy upscaled
Holy sometimes inflict Regen to its target

Dagger
------
The full powered Ark now deal damage twice, allowing to deal more than 9999

Eiko
----
Fenril is a wind eidolon by default

Quina
-----
LV5 Death has been replaced by LV5 Flare: inflict non-elemental damage to enemies with lvl multiple of 5
LV4 Holy has been replaced by LV4 Def-less: randomly decrease defence of enemies with lvl multiple of 4
LV3 Def-less has been replaced by LV3 Aerial Slash: inflict Wind damage to enemies with lvl multiple of 3
Doom has been replaced by Lightning: Thunder damage plus Silence to one target (50% accuracy)
Roulette has been replaced by Self-Destruct: convert Quina's current HP into damage on all the enemies
Aqua Breath has 75% accuracy instead of 50%
Matra Magic has been replaced by Zombie Breath: non-elemental damage plus Zombie on one target (20% accuracy)
Limit Glove has been replaced by HP Switching: switch Quina's current HP with an ally's ones
Twister has 50% to inflict Float in addition to its Wind damage
Earth Shake has 100% to inflict Slow in addition to its Earth damage
Frog Drop has been replaced by Devil's Snack: use a Dead Pepper on all enemies
Freeze has been replaced by Cocytos: Ice damage and inflict Slow on one target (100%)
Mustard Bomb has been replaced by Phlegethon: Fire damage and inflict Haste on one target (100%)

Freya
-----
Lancer's damage are increased, as well as its MP cost
Dragon Breath has been replaced by Dragon Life: apply Auto-Life on Freya
Six Dragons has became single-targeting for 15 MP
Cherry Blossom is more powerful
Dragon's Crest has been replaced by Ikari: deal physical damage and Trouble to all the enemies (50%)

Amarant
-------
Aura has been replaced by Starburst: deal 60 times an enemy's level as damage
Demi Shock's accuracy has been upscaled from 50% to 80%
Countdown has been replaced by Concentrate: increase an ally's Magic by 33% for 28 MP

Steiner
-------
Iai Strike has been replaced by Quadraslash: a physical attack using the elemental power of Fire, Ice, Thunder and Water
The accuracy of the 4 break abilities have been upscaled
Thunder Slash now inflict 21% of target's max HP as thunder damage
Climhazzard has been replaced by a weaker Shock: deal 2 times the physical damage on one target
Shock has been replaced by Sword Dance: deal 2 times the physical damage on all enemies ; it's a magical attack

Marcus
------
Added 2 abilities for the time he is with you on the disc 2: Strong Hit (more damage but harm Marcus) and Contaminate (100% to inflict Poison)

Also,
Ragtime Mouses Quizz has been refreshed
The Cotton Robe money trick was removed (they sell a bit less)
The enemies are stronger and more resistant
Few weapons can be used by several characters (for instance, Dagger can use the dagger)
The ultimate weapons give a big boost to main characteristics (Strength, Magic, Speed and Spirit)
Enemies' spells have been modified using similar principles as the player's spells
Phoenix Pinions cure Doom ; they also cost and sell cheaper
A mini-game has been re-added at the beginning of disc 3
Excalibur II can be acquired by two different methods:
1) Reach and beat Hades in less than 14 hours,
2) Get all the collectable treasures of the game (there are 3 little mistakes allowed) to obtain the higher treasure rank. Including a few Mimics, that makes 404 unique treasures to find.
And a few other things...

Murasame

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2020-01-19 22:43:35 »
Hey there!
I’m gonna replay this mod (never got past Necron last time) but I had to reinstall the game afresh and then re apply the mod. For some reason whenever a battle starts the game will crash. Do you have any idea which folder I may have screwed up in changing?

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 2020-01-19 22:59:40 »
Hum. I guess that you forgot to put the "sharedassets1.assets" which wasn't a modded file in the previous versions.

Nesouk

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2020-01-21 17:35:52 »
Just wanted to drop by, currently playing the latest version (doing an LP of it), want to give some impression, as a reminder last time I play this mod FFIX wasn't even out on PC version so that's quite a long time so lot of thing as change :

-My first point would be : Thanks god FINALLY a mod that fix the annoying steal rate of the game, for how much I love this game that is the one thing I hated in FFIX, purist might argue "that's part of the challenge" but as far as I'm concern there is nothing challenging (and nothing fun for that matter) about sitting over 40 minutes on a boss fight just for stealing it, so thanks a lot for that I can actually properly enjoy the boss fights now.

-The second enjoyable quality of life that I thank you for is the statut duration, another good fix here it really hardly feel worth it in Vanilla and PSX version of AF to cast buffs since their duration was so short, also enjoy statut effect lasting longer for ennemies cause it was the same issue.

-Regarding the overall rework on the abilities and more precisely how they work, that's overall a really good job it always bugged me why the Killer type of ability were only affecting the regular attack, now they work on more ability so that's cool, same for Critical hit and also use of the range, my only nitpick would be it would nice if these change could be specify in the ability's description in-game, I had to consult the Excel file to know which ability is or isn't affected by these changes.

As for the fights for now the ennemies seems similar to what I remember from the PSX, the only notable change compare to PSX version of AF regarding boss fight up to now would be Beate's second fight who like the first and third fight feel like a proper fight,
Spoiler: show
definitly wasn't expecting an Holy spell this early XD
otherwise some minor change like statut effect being more usefull (by the way good thing for reworking how some statut work on bosses like Doom (good for Tantarian when you have counter magic with Vivi by the way XD) or poison).

So for now I really enjoying this mod.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2020-01-21 18:38:31 »
Thank you :)
Indeed, I decided to give only a minimal description of what the abilities do, following the principle of the original (I mean, Lucky 7's or Limit Glove's descriptions are basically "It deals damage"... very informative!). I made that choice mainly by laziness: it would have taken a lot of time to decide how to formulate complete descriptions of the abilities in all the languages and make sure that they are small enough to be contained in the battle help (in the menus, there isn't really a limitation of space but there is in the battles).

In the spreadsheet, I could write things in english only and use a formal description that would be a bit dry in-game. I agree that it's far from ideal though.

I look forward to see how you will fare against the new bosses! A couple of people commented them but they didn't make a video out of the fights :D
Until then, good luck!

vomitrocious00

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 2020-01-22 00:57:46 »
Oh god I give up, I cannot get the last Ragtime question right. Does anyone know how to answer his last question correctly? lol EDIT: Nevermind
« Last Edit: 2020-01-22 03:30:06 by vomitrocious00 »

Nesouk

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2020-01-24 15:45:29 »
Thank you :)
Indeed, I decided to give only a minimal description of what the abilities do, following the principle of the original (I mean, Lucky 7's or Limit Glove's descriptions are basically "It deals damage"... very informative!). I made that choice mainly by laziness: it would have taken a lot of time to decide how to formulate complete descriptions of the abilities in all the languages and make sure that they are small enough to be contained in the battle help (in the menus, there isn't really a limitation of space but there is in the battles).

In the spreadsheet, I could write things in english only and use a formal description that would be a bit dry in-game. I agree that it's far from ideal though.

I look forward to see how you will fare against the new bosses! A couple of people commented them but they didn't make a video out of the fights :D
Until then, good luck!

I understand, this is mainly a nitpick and not a deal breaker issue anyway ^^, I'm already thankfull for this mod being playable in my native language which is great ;)

I'm looking forward for the new bosses tough it won't be before quite a while ^^

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 2020-01-24 21:29:15 »
By the way, I'm french ;p

Nesouk

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2020-01-24 23:01:18 »
I wasn't sure I saw you on the Joueur du grenier forums, but also here and Insane Difficulty so wasn't sure if you were french to or not ^^.

Dorklord

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 2020-01-27 16:29:41 »
Oh wow, 5.0 is out? And Beatrix got a Trance? And there's a Beatrix-only mod now as well? Awesome! That new Steal mechanic sounds fantastic as well, finally stealing will not be irritating. Man, I didn't expect all this stuff when I randomly came here today, but I might end up replaying AF as soon as I finish FF7 New Threat. Fantastic work Tirlititi!

I do have some questions from when I played 4.2:

1. Would it be possible to add a version where every character joins at level 1? I'm not sure what kind of scripting this would require, but it always bothered me that if Freya/Quina/Eiko/Amarant/Beatrix join at higher levels, they will have less HP/MP/Magic stones than if they had joined at level 1 and leveled up naturally. I think it would be a neat addition and luckily all of them (except maybe Beatrix) join at a point where they can easily be levelled up. I used to use the Memoria save editor to reset everyone's stats upon joining but I'm not sure if that would cause problems. Would Memoria cause problems?

2. Have some of the bosses been toned down since 4.2? I remember a lot of people having trouble with the Beatrix fights, she would constantly inflict doom at a point in the game where there was no reliable way to cure it. I even had trouble with the very first Steiner battle, he would kill my entire party before I could steal all his stuff. Somehow I got through them, but I'm wondering if there's been any significant change.

3. Does Zidane's Transcend still use the SFX magic animation from the stage battle in the beginning? If so, I would recommend switching the animation to Amarant's Aura. If I remember right, since you've removed that ability, nothing else uses that animation and it looks much better than the goofy SFX abilities. I might be wrong though, but still, that ability needs a better animation.

Cheers!

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 2020-01-29 14:40:22 »
Thanks Dorklord.
However, I won't update the mod anymore except maybe for Moguri/Snouz mod compatibility.
So, no, party members don't join at lvl 1 (unless all your other characters are lvl1 as well) and Transcend's SFX will still be the same (and I like that :p). You can use the Memoria save editor without problem though.

Most bosses should be slightly easier in v5.0 due to the battle mechanics allowing more things to the player. However:
- Steiner's first battle was made even easier. I think that he was already nerfed in v4.5 because he could kill you too easily on bad RNG. He can still hit hard but that's less RNG-dependant now so he won't always use his best attacks.
- There is a reliable way to cure doom as soon as you fight Beatrix for the first time... On top of that, a doom-immunity supporting skill was added in v5.0 and is available for Freya/Steiner at that point.
- Necron is noticeably harder now, even though there are many possible strategies against it.

Dorklord

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2020-01-29 15:40:13 »
Alright, sounds good. I know how to edit the hws file, so I can always try to change the SFX for Transcend if I feel like it. :) The difficulty changes sound good too, I remember those two battles being really irritating when I played AF but I got through the rest of the game fine so I'm glad to hear those two have been changed.

On another note, I've been thinking about mixing together the AF .hws with the Beatrix-only .hws. If I patched my game with Beatrix-only first, then patched regular AF on top of that, but during the import selection I don't select the enemies, what would happen? Would I end up with all features from AF, but keep the vanilla enemies (plus the few extra bosses) from Beatrix-only?

Also, bit of a random question but is the stat growth of characters the same as in vanilla FF9? To be clear, I'm talking about natural stats, not bonus stat growth from equipment.

Nesouk

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 2020-01-29 20:00:00 »
Personnaly I only had trouble for the third Beatrix fight due to Stock Break giving her a multi-target option, for the first 2 fight Quina's Mighty Guard make her such more manageable, also since her attacks are mostly physical and single target putting everyone on low HP but Freyja with the Cover ability is a valid strat even more on the second fight since Freyja can equip the helm that give immunity to Doom (I just forget to equip the ability like an idiot on my video XD), tough for the third fight once I figure I should use the Back Row it became a lot easier as Steiner could still hit her 1200 despite the Back Row penalty and Freyja can hit her from afar with Jump which does good damage.

Almost finish Disc 2 so far Gargantua was the most troublesome boss due to the fact he seems to counter absolutly everything I had to take it safe and slow with him, Soulcage however is completly free as long a you aren't on LV multiple of 5 easiest boss of the mod so far.

Dorklord

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2020-02-03 22:13:30 »
By the way Tirlititi, the opening post has download links for Moguri+AF and Moguri+Beatrix-only, but I've noticed that both links lead to the same download. I think you have the wrong link up for Moguri+Beatrix.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2020-02-04 16:32:33 »
Thanks a bunch Dorklord! I fixed it :)

Dorklord

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2020-02-08 10:05:23 »
I have a question about critical hits. I've been playing AF with Moguri and I've noticed that my critical hits were not doing much damage, in fact, they seemed to be doing less than regular hits. I used dnSpy to modify the formula and made all my hits critical and began testing. Sure enough, I had situations where Steiner would hit for about 120 damage with a critical, and then hit that same enemy for about 240 with another critical. Without criticals, Steiner's damage would have been around 180 or so,. This is all with bug killer equipped as well.

So I was wondering if this is normal and caused by some enemy ability or status, or if Moguri is messing things up? I wouldn't be surprised given that escaping with L1 and R1 straight up doesn't work in Moguri for some reason.

Ddeathscythe

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2020-02-12 18:08:17 »
I was planning on trying this mod out and I was going to just stream it to my Nintendo Switch using Steam. However, I know that FFIX is pretty close to the PC Port. Is it possible to be able to port this mod into the Nintendo Switch version?

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 2020-02-12 20:05:33 »
@Dorklord: Yes, that seemed weird to me as well... but I've double-checked the code several times and didn't see a bug, so I guess that's just because of damage roll. I didn't see that fleeing was problematic with the Moguri mod though; maybe that's because of controller compatibility? I guess they tweaked it since they at least changed the movement directions.
Strange anyway... but I have no solution.

@Ddeathscythe: No, I don't think so, unfortunatly.
Indeed, the new versions (PC, PS4, Switch, phones...) are very similar but not similar enough to do a port, even if we had the tools for these versions. I think that, let aside compressions, the "p0data" archives are called something like "s0data" for the Switch version, which is not a big deal, but the most important file, the Assembly-CSharp.dll, is different from a version to the other and I am not sure if someone could even use Hades Workshop on a non-PC version.

CultivatedFinch

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 2020-03-24 19:43:53 »
Would this mod be recommendable to someone who is not even remotely familiar with this game? On one hand, I'd like to try it, but I know virtually nothing about the actual game.  But on the other hand, I'm more used to SMT-style difficulty in my RPGs, and I know this game isn't necessarily known for being difficult.