Author Topic: Guide on replacing battle/field models with new textures?  (Read 2656 times)

Sonicmfc

• View Profile
I've been looking to redo some models (specifically enemy battle models) by adding higher quality textures to them (like the scorpion and sweeper models which have already been produced) however apart from reading through posts under new models people have already released on here I've found very little info on how to get my converted edited models from the likes of blender back into the game using tools such as Kimera which doesn't seem to import the models into the game for me perhaps an experienced modder here who has released and made models could provide a guide on doing things like this to make the FF7 modding community much more welcoming and accessible?  :)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: Guide on replacing battle/field models with new textures?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-28 15:52:21 »
LINK HERE

Try that. I haven't read over it thoroughly, so let me know if it's what you're looking for.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-28 17:47:48 »
My tutorial mainly covers how to import models. You want to retexture them right? You need to extract the model you want from the game, easiest way is to open it in kimera and save it to a folder on your desktop. Use Biturn to convert the pieces to obj (it doesn't do .3ds very well). Load each one into a modeling application of you choice (Maya, Blender, even zbrush). Each piece will import at the origin, so you'll need to reassemble the model. That can be fairly easy with characters but the Scorpion model may take a bit of time, just take it once piece at a time (the chest, or center piece of the model is usually the best place to start). Once the models fully imported and assembled so it matches the version still in kimera you can start retexturing the model or export it as a single obj to use in another application. The trick is to not edit the uv mapping for the pieces at all (if it already has one). This way when your new texture is done you can just add it to the model in kimera (my tutorial does explain how to add textures). If you're working on an original FF7 model though you'll need to do a uv layout as well, and reimport the model when you're done. The tutorial will show you how to do that.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-28 17:53:28 by cmh175 »

Sonicmfc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-28 18:32:38 »
Thank you both that amazing tutorial in addition to these two videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L4fHg-U_JM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDYMZVFQgv4) were extremely helpful in providing clarity into how to redo these models! I've got the new chest piece of 'Grunt' (That's the model I'm trying to redo) and texture into Kimera at last; resizing and repositioning the piece seems very tedious but I'm getting there. I'll let you know how it goes when/if I finish. That guide should be on the front of the site it's very helpful for beginners  ;)
« Last Edit: 2014-06-28 19:28:32 by Sonicmfc »