Author Topic: [PSX/PC] kernel.bin data editor - Doomtrain (v1.0.1)  (Read 58060 times)

alexfilth

• View Profile
Hello! Myself, Maki and JWP are happy to finally release Doomtrain!  ;D

Doomtrain is an editor developed in C# for the FF8 kernel.bin, it can edit most of the data section present in the file.  :evil:

It's important to say that as this is the first public release it's possible a few bugs are still present, but we did our best to fix everything wrong we saw.
If you find a bug please report it in this thread.

Download Doomtrain v1.0.0
Download Doomtrain v1.0.1

Credits
alexfilth: coding and a little bit of reverse engineering.
Maki: coding.
JWP: helping me with a lot of stuff, coding and the vast majority of the reverse engineering.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-24 17:17:46 by Covarr »

Kefka

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC/PSX] kernel.bin data editor - Doomtrain (v1.0.0)
« Reply #1 on: 2016-08-12 07:23:52 »
This is definitely the best news of the day for me! Many thanks to all three of you! Oh how I've been longing for this, now I can really start the work on my FF8 mod.

JWP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-08-12 19:08:12 »
Thanks :). Good luck with your mod, hopefully it'll be easier to do what you want with Doomtrain.

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-08-13 07:17:03 »
Ok, after playing around a bit yesterday, I've got a couple questions/requests:

The first is regarding enemy attacks, specifically physical attacks: Am I correct in the assumption that the "Attack Param" determines the accuracy (hit%) of an attack? Because certain late-game enemies have attacks that keep missing almost the entire time, and I'd like to change that. I'm mainly referring to Elnoyle's Tail Needle, Behemoth's Assault Horn, Krysta's Charge and such. How exactly does the Attack Param translate to accuracy? I'm fairly sure it can't be a direct percentage, as all of the aforementioned attacks have an Attack Param in the range of 50-60, but that doesn't match with their performance in-game. These attacks hit successfully MAYBE 1 out of 20 times, so their accuracy sucks.

Also about enemy physical attacks, do you know how the chance for critical hits is determined (because I know that certain enemy attacks have a rather high chance of dealing critical hits?).

My next question is, will it be possible in future versions to edit the names and descriptions of items/magics/abilities? Because I've just changed the % boost of the various stat-increasing abilities, but if their names and descriptions still display the standard 20%, 40% etc, that'll be confusing.

And lastly, do you plan on making the various Refinement-Abilities editable? I mean being able to determine exactly which Refinement-Ability can transform which item into what, and such. That would be awesome. So far there's only an index to certain m00x files and a range of offsets, but I'm kinda left in the dark as to what that stands for, or how to edit what I want. Could you explain that part to me please?

Girl next door

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-08-13 11:20:17 »
Great job guys! :-) i'm trying to delete the "GF" ability but it doesn't work. I tried to set "none" instead or change the condition but it's the same issue. I think it will be the same problem with all the abilities already learned by a gf.

alexfilth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-08-13 12:34:00 »
@Girl next door: If i recall correctly for abilities already learned from the start you need to change init.out and start a new game. Format is pretty much the same as save.

@Kefka:
Attack param does different things depending on the attack hence why the generic name. For example with fixed damage attack type it is used to subtract from power*100.

No idea apart from editing the hardcoded crit formula, which is not easy to do.

For names you can use the editor Carbuncle.

Which refinement ability can transform which item i don't think it's in the kernel. m00x file are in menu.fi, 255 means it's hardcoded and offsets should be the offsets to the selected m00x file if i remember right.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-13 12:35:39 by alexfilth »

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-08-13 14:25:21 »
@Kefka:
Attack param does different things depending on the attack hence why the generic name. For example with fixed damage attack type it is used to subtract from power*100.

No idea apart from editing the hardcoded crit formula, which is not easy to do.

For names you can use the editor Carbuncle.

Which refinement ability can transform which item i don't think it's in the kernel. m00x file are in menu.fi, 255 means it's hardcoded and offsets should be the offsets to the selected m00x file if i remember right.

Oh, I see, thanks for the reply. One more question though, a lot of enemy attacks are still shown as "null", but I'm guessing they aren't all unused, are they? I've already stumbled upon some that I know, e.g. 108 and 109 are used by the T-Rexaur, so they must be his Tail Swipe and his Devour-like attack, respectively. Will these attacks be identified in future versions?

JWP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-08-13 15:19:58 »
Quite a lot of them are used just for camera movements, basic attacks and death animations. They're mostly just ones that we haven't identified yet. They'll probably be updated as we find them.

miruss89

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-08-13 15:42:30 »
i'm trying to edit Squall Weapons Renzokuken finisher to just Lion Heart only but getting error (the game hang) when trying to getting into renzokuken mode in battles. Is there any parameter i should change besides each weapons finisher? i'm already try changed the renzokuken finisher parameter but still getting error. Is it hardcoded in the .exe?

By the way, thank you for the great program. Really make my day for modding greatest rpg of all time for me.

JWP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-08-13 15:57:06 »
I think the problem might be the way it picks a finisher, it might not like having Lionheart without all the other finishers.

alexfilth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-08-13 16:02:20 »
I didn't test it but maybe you could get around this by simply editing rough divide to be lion heart but you'll lose rough divide this way.

miruss89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-08-13 16:26:49 »
I didn't test it but maybe you could get around this by simply editing rough divide to be lion heart but you'll lose rough divide this way.

Already tried it. But animation for Lion Heart finisher is kinda little off. Dont know what happen though. But i tried change the Doom commands to become Lion Heart and it works flawlessly but not for Rough Divide, Fated Circle and Blasting Zone.

JWP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-08-13 17:35:54 »
What do you mean by "a little off"? Do you mean the camera animation, the character animation or the damage animation?

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-08-13 18:31:01 »
My next question is, will it be possible in future versions to edit the names and descriptions of items/magics/abilities? Because I've just changed the % boost of the various stat-increasing abilities, but if their names and descriptions still display the standard 20%, 40% etc, that'll be confusing.

Reading names and descriptions was already implemented, but it got later commented out due to the way the program is made. In order to introduce the name and description editor we would have to work out new parsing system for magic (so the magic list gets updated with the real names, not hardcoded ones) and whole system for moving offsets to text section. There is working tool for that already here on Qhimm, so we decided to leave this feature and have it commented for proof-of-concept.

Tips for uncommenting:
e.g. to get the spell name you have to uncomment line 3523, 3524 and 239 in KernelWorker.cs and you'll get currently selected spell name in MagicData.OffsetSpellName (string). 

greatest rpg of all time
Amen.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-13 18:33:13 by Maki »

miruss89

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-08-13 23:23:47 »
What do you mean by "a little off"? Do you mean the camera animation, the character animation or the damage animation?

The finisher animations. i edited the rough divide to becaome Lion heart, whenever the renzokuken finisher prompt to be rough divide,  squall attack with lion heart but at the end of the finisher he just attacking empty spaces. The enemy is disappeared from the finisher sequence.

Sorry for my bad english

alexfilth

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2016-08-14 00:31:16 »
The enemy dies during the attack, apart from that the attack looks like it's working fine.
There's something triggering the death before it should happen but i have no idea what it is, JWP should give a look at it tomorrow.

Girl next door

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2016-08-14 10:50:17 »
Carbuncle is only for the english version, so that would be very helpfull to add a text editor. ;-)
« Last Edit: 2016-08-14 10:56:03 by Girl next door »

Girl next door

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2016-08-14 20:41:32 »
Sorry for the double post. I see that the menu items can't be change. There's a chance to see it in a future release ? (espesially for the gf items)

zkshd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2016-08-14 22:34:59 »
[Bug report]:

Hi, I found what seems a bug (cuz it is affecting my mod, i am playing the game).
[Title]: magic junction modifications won't save correctly.
[Description]: at magic section, under junction, if I move the status defense percent of esuna from 20% to 30%, save and then reload the percent is set to 0.

JWP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2016-08-14 22:37:39 »
As far as I'm aware, the menu item effects aren't in kernel.bin, they might be in one of the files in the menu archive (e.g. mngrp.bin) because of this, it's unlikely that it'll be incorporated into Doomtrain.
Either me or alex will take a look at that bug when we can.

alexfilth

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2016-08-14 23:31:09 »
[Bug report]:

Hi, I found what seems a bug (cuz it is affecting my mod, i am playing the game).
[Title]: magic junction modifications won't save correctly.
[Description]: at magic section, under junction, if I move the status defense percent of esuna from 20% to 30%, save and then reload the percent is set to 0.
Bug found and fixed, i'll wait a week or two before releasing a new version to see if other bugs are found.
For those who don't want to wait fork or clone the test branch and compile yourself.

zkshd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2016-08-15 00:03:38 »
Ok, thanks for the fix. Trying it soon.

[Update] Working flawlessly so far.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-15 00:37:36 by zkshd »

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2016-08-15 08:08:13 »
Carbuncle is only for the english version, so that would be very helpfull to add a text editor. ;-)

Being another player who owns a non-english version of the game, I'll second that request.

Sorry for the double post. I see that the menu items can't be change. There's a chance to see it in a future release ? (espesially for the gf items)

If you mean the item effects out-of-battle, then I can only make a guess based on how it is in FF7. There, when you use WallMarket to change e.g. the healing amount that a potion gives, the effect is only changed inside a battle. It turned out that out-of-battle item effects are located in the FF7.exe, so I would think that it's the same for FF8, maybe.

alexfilth

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2016-08-15 12:40:00 »
Yes in the kernel there are pretty much only battle related stuff. Also doomtrain can edit almost all of the kernel data section, if something it's not in it chances are it's not in the kernel.

JWP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2016-08-15 14:26:11 »
To clarify, there are 4 bytes per item in the non-battle items section - 2 of which point to an item name, 2 of which point to an item description - and we haven't implemented renaming objects. There isn't anything in the misc section either.
So the item IDs are paired with their effect somewhere other than kernel.bin. The actual effects themselves are in the exe but the parameters are probably in one of the files in the menu archive.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-15 14:27:55 by JWP »