Author Topic: since when...??  (Read 4125 times)

-gone away-

• View Profile
since when...??
« on: 2005-09-06 04:27:03 »
since when was redistributing a modified scene.bin file not been allowed on this website. it's been done for quite some time now. And i see elentor's file is still listed.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
since when...??
« Reply #1 on: 2005-09-06 05:31:57 »
I might have missed something, but I didnt see anything where someone said you couldnt do this.. It is very possible that I missed whatever was said.. Who told you that you couldn't post a modified scene.bin file.. And how big is the file? (out of curiosity)

The scene.bin file contains attributes for the game right? like rules?

The SaiNt

• View Profile
since when...??
« Reply #2 on: 2005-09-06 06:48:25 »
It was me.
In general, it's rather dodgy to allow users to redistribute FFVII data files.
I personally don't have the time to monitor all threads but I do so when I come across any.

However, I shall discuss this with Qhimm later to see what he thinks, unless he posts back instead.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
since when...??
« Reply #3 on: 2005-09-06 10:22:31 »
It's a bit dodgy yes, and even if scene.bin is on the lower half of the distributing-game-files dodginess scale it's easier from a moderation standpoint to draw the line at zero. Otherwise you'd eventually get arguments like "well if you're allowing this file, why not this slightly bigger one?"...

If you want to be sure your posted link will stay up, please make a patch instead of redistributing the actual files.

Phyltre

• View Profile
since when...??
« Reply #4 on: 2005-09-07 01:50:11 »
It's quite awe-inspiring to hear from all the authorities at once, sequentially, isn't it?

-gone away-

• View Profile
since when...??
« Reply #5 on: 2005-09-07 03:25:11 »
The scene.bin file is simply modified monster values only 264kb in size.
Creating a patch would be rather pointless.

What about a self installing zip file??

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
since when...??
« Reply #6 on: 2005-09-07 08:53:36 »
Quote from: smithie
The scene.bin file is simply modified monster values only 264kb in size.
Creating a patch would be rather pointless.
It's not about it's size. It's about the Copyrights, that still belong to Square/Eidos.