Author Topic: [FF7PC/PSX] Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth (Midgar Demo)  (Read 103637 times)

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth (PSX and PC)
« Reply #75 on: 2011-07-14 23:25:28 »
Although I am nowhere close to an expert at the inner workings of all the files I don't think this would be very easy to do.  I am just speaking from what we see in the game.  Adding items isn't so difficult as there are many unused items in the game, however from a menu standpoint there really isn't a lot of space to display it, and you have to look at if there is actually a way to code multiple armors being equipped at once.  If you are saying just to add other items that could be equipped that were named helms, armor or whatnot that is easy to do, but having multiple ones equipped at once...I don't know.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2011-07-15 04:31:02 »
Love this project :D
Please, could you guys make a better armor system is Rebirth? I mean, in the original VII it was sad, only bracelets for equipment :( I really hope you guys will think about an armor system overhaul, maybe keep the bracelets but add armors, helmets and gloves, it should make VII much better :)

If you're talking about equipping several kinds of defensive gear at once, a la FF9, that's impossible.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2011-07-25 21:35:04 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-29 17:18:01 by dkma841 »

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2011-07-26 19:42:15 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:27:59 by Jenova's Witness »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2011-07-27 12:53:26 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-29 17:17:04 by dkma841 »

poingjam

Re: [DEMO/WIP/FF7] Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth (PSX and PC)
« Reply #80 on: 2011-09-09 08:54:47 »
To me, the biggest problem with FF7 is the random battles.  They discourage exploration, and every time I get in one, I have to wait ten seconds while the same old cutscene plays before I can play the game again.

Would it be possible to implement some item that disables them?  Maybe an item that any character can equip.  It could decrease the odds of getting into a random battle based on the character's level in comparison to the levels of the enemies in an area.  If you're below the level of the enemies, the decrease is minor, but if you get three to five levels above local enemies, the chance of getting in a random battle drops to zero.  Or if enemy level is arbitrary and doesn't relate to player character level, it could be based on something else, like assigning a level value to each zone.  The item should be purchasable from any shop at a low price, so there's no accidentally skipping it or having to put up with random battles for the first half of the game or whatever else.

If that's too complicated, what about a simple option in the main menu to turn random battles on or off?  Or a mod that can be easily enabled and disabled.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2011-09-09 11:38:03 »
To me, the biggest problem with FF7 is the random battles.  They discourage exploration, and every time I get in one, I have to wait ten seconds while the same old cutscene plays before I can play the game again.

Would it be possible to implement some item that disables them?  Maybe an item that any character can equip.  It could decrease the odds of getting into a random battle based on the character's level in comparison to the levels of the enemies in an area.  If you're below the level of the enemies, the decrease is minor, but if you get three to five levels above local enemies, the chance of getting in a random battle drops to zero.  Or if enemy level is arbitrary and doesn't relate to player character level, it could be based on something else, like assigning a level value to each zone.  The item should be purchasable from any shop at a low price, so there's no accidentally skipping it or having to put up with random battles for the first half of the game or whatever else.

If that's too complicated, what about a simple option in the main menu to turn random battles on or off?  Or a mod that can be easily enabled and disabled.

So you just want to disable FF7 random battles ? in the PSX version you could use a gameshark to disable random battles but if your using the PC version you could just use any of the following to disable random battles

DLPB & Kranmer's Menu and Battle Interface Overhaul Project  (has a option to disable random battles and other stuff)
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11649.0

FF7 Trainer 0.7 Beta - Teleport Codes Added (has a option to disable random battles and other things)
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9890.0

The topic about how to disable random battles (Further down in this topic i posted a patch to disable random battles)
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9626.0

Hope that helps.

poingjam

« Reply #82 on: 2011-09-09 18:27:24 »
Oh wow, thanks.  I looked through all the mods I could find and didn't notice anything about random battles.  But this is great, I've been wanting to play FF7 again for years.

poingjam

« Reply #83 on: 2011-09-09 18:39:37 »
I totally forgot about Enemy Away materia.  Is there a way to edit how effective it is?  So that way I'd have an in-game way of turning on and off random battles.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: 2012-02-23 10:39:20 »
Necronecronecro.

This project is not dead! In fact, I'm planning to release a Disc One demo around April!

I've recently been playtesting Rebirth and my modified SCENE / KERNEL, and tweaking statistics before I release to the public. My playtest is up to Cosmo Canyon now; the rest of the game's enemies have new stats, but I still need to polish a few things off (especially repositioning enemy skills). The game's playing very well, though enemies are a *little* too frail as is. I didn't increase HP, and I created more opportunities to take advantage of elemental and status weaknesses. Without mixing up the enemies in the formations (time-consuming), this makes some battles a tad short once you know what to do. I may add ~30% HP to the random mooks after Corel.

I've made a few unusual decisions for this release. Firstly, I've made HP gains for all characters equal. Characters already have vitality / spirit stats changed, and giving Barret extra Vit and extra HP increased his toughness exponentially. Secondly, I've updated Vincent's AI to stop him using elemental attacks on enemies that absorb them. This is a common complaint of players, but I do wonder if a 'smart' Gallian Beast et. al are a little overpowered. I may dump this change by April; I'm yet to decide.

The demo will be a PSX release. I still haven't done any work on a PC port. I figured it better to get player feedback before spending time on development that might be thrown away anyway.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-23 10:41:37 by Bosola »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #85 on: 2012-02-23 11:40:41 »
Keep going I'd love to try that!!!

Jenova's Witness

• I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2012-02-25 20:46:52 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:09:40 by Jenova's Witness »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #87 on: 2012-02-26 17:47:47 »
Have you altered Vincent's transformations or Limit Attacks at all (excluding AI changes)?  If they are all the same, then I would say keep the Galian Beast dumb - but if you've already changed some of the transformations and plan on changing their AI, then I see no reason why not to revolutionize his limits to the fullest extent.  Assuming the enemy formations are equipped to handle a more powerful Cloud & Friends, it only seems appropriate to apply the same curve to Vincent's Limits.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #88 on: 2012-02-26 20:17:15 »
I'm not aware if this is possible but it would be fun if we could have monsters as pets like in xiii-2 I guess this requires graphical mods as well... anyway just a thought...

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #89 on: 2012-02-26 22:30:43 »
I approve of a smart Galian Beast - as well as Vinnie's other limit break forms - but I wonder if you can limit it's intelligence to what the player can see.  So, if Galian beast uses an attack which an enemy absorbs (or which in some way restores an enemies HP, or makes it higher than it was before), then it will know not to use that ability against that type of enemy for the remainder of the battle, or ever again against that enemy.

This might be too complicated to implement, though.

I guess it could be done, but I'm not sure if it'd be clear to the player what's happening. I'd need to be convinced that 'smart Vincent' plays well before doing any more work on him.

I'm not aware if this is possible but it would be fun if we could have monsters as pets like in xiii-2 I guess this requires graphical mods as well... anyway just a thought...

That wouldn't be possible, no.

WhiteWing

« Reply #90 on: 2012-03-21 17:37:47 »
I have been through the demo and the spells and like what I see for the most part, but there are a few things id need to questions simply based on final fantasy continuity when it comes to spells.

Exit and Remove were basically Warp and X-Zone, while X-Zone was FF6 only, warp had been a staple all the way till final fantasy 6, yet, it doesnt do what its main function was supposed to do: warp you out of annoyingly long dungeons, which there arnt many of in Final Fantay 7, so, that is probably a good thing to get shot of.

In regards to Life2, Full Life, while it may seem over powered, its a spell thats existed since Final Fantasy 4 and continued on since, beyond even this. Given the improvement in AI's, it maybe worth keeping in, albeit making it more costly? It maybe just my nostaligic mind kicking in here, but id miss the spell that had so often been an option, albeit rarely used one, but having it there was nice.

Shield: This im iffy on. While OP'd, even if you get it late, consider this: Bosses using it on themselves. Itd make Dispel much more useful, since untill it wears off, if you dont ahve the spell, you aint doing nothing to them. Its a nice mechanic if used right, i found it a shame it was never used against me in combat. Enemies should be using spells like that before you get the ability to use it for yourself.

Frog - Unless removing it from the game completely, little point in taking it out.

Death being Darkside im a little bit confused on. Wasnt Darkside sacrificing HP for more damage? I never used the Death spell myself, but having Death for a status effect with Added Affect was always a decent way of dispatching foes.

Poisona/Stona i could care less about really. I found i was never "stoned" often enough to use softs, and poison, it went away after battle, so what was the point>

FullCure, i agree on, by the time you got it, you already would have Curaga, Regen, White Wind, Exilers and Megalixers.

Tornado for Aero 2? Thank you Sir!

Im also a bit worried about abusing spells that damage enemies and give posative status effects... it maybe just me, but damage spells should damage, and buff spells should buff, not a mix of the two, but that maybe just my old D&D rping mind coming into it.

Also, Quake, Quakera and Quakeaga. Why not have Tremor, Quake and Earthquake? Sounds a lot better off the tongue. Same for the Bio Spells. Why not Poison, Bio and Toxic? And renaming DeSpell to its original Dispel? As for Holy and Holy2, or Peral and Peral2, why not have Pearl and Holy? And instead of Nova, Meteo?

Admitedly, Toxic isnt a very good one, Posion and Bio already being future spells, hard to come up with something similarly related. As for the others, it was just a case of keeping in mind what came before and after it in regards to spell names.

That aside, I like the work thats gone into this, and applaude your hard work and drive to do more. And would like to add it was seeing a video of your mods that got me to get the game and begin modding myself, so, you have my thanks, sir. :)
« Last Edit: 2012-03-21 17:44:47 by WhiteWing »

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2012-04-18 02:27:16 »
I just played through the first Reactor on your Disc 1 release. I have to say, you have done a fantastic job! My favorite thing so far is probably the different camera angles. Very cool. The battles so far are more challenging but not crazy difficult. I was grinding levels and I had to watch my items and stuff like that. I also haven't played the PSX version of FF7 in a VERY long time. Now, i'm way in to it again! I might upload a video to youtube later showing this amazing mod off. Keep up the great work!!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2012-04-18 03:26:58 »
Exit and Remove were basically Warp and X-Zone, while X-Zone was FF6 only, warp had been a staple all the way till final fantasy 6, yet, it doesnt do what its main function was supposed to do: warp you out of annoyingly long dungeons, which there arnt many of in Final Fantay 7, so, that is probably a good thing to get shot of.

That's because exit is not warp or x-zone.  In fact warp and xzone are also mistranslations.  Remove in ff7 english is the "warp" move. Also "warp" is not a "warp out of dungeon" move at all.

Dimension (Di-sion) has been incorrectly translated as:  ZAP! (FF1)/Warp (FF2, FF3,FF4,FF12) / Banish (FF2origins, FF6, FF10, FF11, FF14) /Remove (FF7)/ X-Zone (FF5,FF6) /N-Zone (FF5) / DeZone (?)/ Dejon (FF4 J2e) / Degeon and De-Dungeon (Fan translation).

The original move was dimension.  Shortened because of early ff's character limit to Di-sion (デジョン).  The dimension move shifts enemy's out to another dimension (or perhaps warps them elsewhere via dimension shifting), which is exactly what FF7's move Remove does (again in FF7 it is really デジョン Japanese.  Dimension). 

In FF1 where the move was first used, it teleports an enemy into another dimension.  It does same in FF2 (and pretty much all of them).  The original meaning of the name was always Dimension.

Escape, exits you from battle.  In FF7 the japanese is:

Exit (materia name)> りだつ > Withdraw
Escape > エスケプ > esukepu > Escape
Remove > デジョン > dejon > Dimension

In other words, you have confused their functions and names.  Likewise Dimension Hammer  デジョンハンマ (originally Hammer Blaster   ), teleports by "dimension shift".

Theres this idea that it warps people out of dungeons but that only happened on a  few occasions and where it did it isa dimension shift (see sci fi) capability not a "de-dungeon".  People have got their wires crossed and until the retranslation project came along, this myth remained unchallenged.  8)  The same kind of myth as Malboro (another mistake) coming from Marlboro cigarettes.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-18 07:52:38 by DLPB »

guitar89

« Reply #93 on: 2012-05-07 12:53:24 »
I'm looking forward for it ^^ although it passed April, waiting patiently ! Is this release include full FF7, or just disk 1 ?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #94 on: 2012-05-07 17:18:00 »
Disk one, and it's out. I just forgot to update the thread. Here's a link:  http://www.moddb.com/mods/final-fantasy-7-rebirth/downloads/rebirth-v1-disc-one

Jenova's Witness

• I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2012-05-07 19:23:25 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:05:24 by Jenova's Witness »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #96 on: 2012-05-07 20:40:10 »
Disk one, and it's out. I just forgot to update the thread. Here's a link:  http://www.moddb.com/mods/final-fantasy-7-rebirth/downloads/rebirth-v1-disc-one

Thank you very much and well done! I'm going to test it as soon as I dig to find my epsxe again!
« Last Edit: 2012-05-07 20:55:28 by Leonhart7413 »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #97 on: 2012-05-08 11:20:32 »
Actually, there are a couple of bugs with that release. Nothing huge, though you might want to use savestates just in case. Some have reported an issue where Air Buster crashes the emulator if you steal from him, but I can't get to the bottom of the matter.

Jenova's Witness

• I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2012-05-11 20:05:53 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:04:58 by Jenova's Witness »

Rizhall

« Reply #99 on: 2012-06-18 04:50:40 »
Registered to post a little steal bug I've encountered. (I sent an email, but I've done this anyway)

I stole this from the grunts (the ones that shoot those rays from their hands) in the first reactor.
I also stole one from the Air Buster (checked items, and it told me I had 3, two of which I got from grunts, making this the third, so it's the same item).
I restarted the game right afterwards to make sure I get the RIGHT item if I steal from it next time, if there is one.

Can't wait for the rest of the discs for this!