Author Topic: FF8 Tatics...  (Read 13026 times)

Joey

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« on: 2002-03-30 06:52:00 »
Can anyone here post FF8-related tatics here?

Here's mine:
For Boko in Chocobo world to get the most items, let him wander freely in the map. that way, he automatically encounters more cactuars, moombas and monsters he can handle.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #1 on: 2002-03-30 15:04:00 »
THE ULTIMATE LEVEL-GAINING and MALBORO TENTACLE GETTING strategy!!   ...Maybe.

I bet many other people have figured this out.

You need to Junction Pandemona to Quistis and give her the ability "Initiative."  She also needs to know the Degenerator limit break (learn from the item "Black Hole").  Make sure she has VERY low hit points (mine was at 200/4500 when I tried this first).  Also, it is helpful to set the battle speed to its lowest speed in the config.

Go to  the Island Closest to Hell or the Island Closest to Heaven, encounter an enemy, cast Degenerator, and there's six levels.  Malboros are very easy to defeat like this and that makes getting the Malboro Tentacles a snap.
[edited] 44 2002-03-31 04:43

Goku7

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #2 on: 2002-03-31 02:53:00 »
I don't know if this's been posted before, but here's one for beating Diablos in relative safety, at almost any level:

First, make sure your characters have the draw command.  When you use the magic lamp to initiate the fight, have your characters draw demi from Diablos, and cast it on him.  It's important that you do not do a "Draw-Cast" with it, you must draw on one turn, then cast demi on a different turn.  In other words, it won't work if you draw AND cast at the same time.

Now, when he's hit with it, he'll counter it with Curaga......But, He'll target Curaga on you instead of him!  This tatic works on both the PC and the PSX versions.

Now, the only catch is that if your level is very low, there's a good chance you'll fail your draw.

-edit-
Fixed wording.
[edited] 239 2002-03-31 03:54

Jedimark

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #3 on: 2002-03-31 18:28:00 »
Download Greiver and give everyone everything... what? You didnt say anything about cheating!  :oops:

Joey

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #4 on: 2002-04-01 07:23:00 »
The joys of a game can only be enjoyed fully without cheating  :x

Jedimark

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #5 on: 2002-04-01 08:21:00 »
True.... I've only ever used Greiver to get Seifer and Edea in my party for a laugh.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #6 on: 2002-04-01 22:00:00 »

On 2002-04-01 03:23, Joey wrote:
The joys of a game can only be enjoyed fully without cheating  :x

i kinda disagree. to an extent, the full joy of gaming can only be experienced with cheating.

Goku7

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #7 on: 2002-04-02 02:02:00 »
I've got another, less strategic tactic.

Don't use GF's unless you absolutely have to.  For one thing, it'll prevent (ok, most likely it'll delay) you from getting bored of the GF animations, and second, it's good practice for the end of the game (where the final bosses automatically perform a one-hit-kill on your GF the instant its summon bar is up).

eerrrr

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #8 on: 2002-04-02 09:22:00 »
That's a good idea Goku7, plus
Spoiler: show
They'll have no excuse for any memory loss!

atzn

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #9 on: 2002-04-02 18:09:00 »
Oh. I have some nice tricks to do in ff8.....
To start off!
(Bear in mind though, most of my tactics consume a lot of TIME, but it pays to build the ultimate charaacters... I've managed to draw 300 Ultimas from Ultima Weapon before.. fun!)

Tactic 1:
Getting LV100 Shiva,Ifrit and Quazecotl (whatever it is!) when chars are at their lowest Level.

Go to Dollet Tower. Use Seifer and kill off Squall and Zell at the beginning of mission, then LVL up Seifer (GFs will also LVL up,don't de-equip them from dead chars, they will still LVL up even Zell and Squall are dead) .... haha Elvoret will die in one round!
Approx time needed: 5 hours minimum I think...

Tactic 2:
Beating the hell outta Diablos.
Yeah goku7 I've heard of your strat b4.... but I have an alternative strategy.......  
OK now that my GFs are at LV100 after beating the Dollet Tower and my party is at their lowest LVL, Diablos' LVL is pretty low as well. And since I've stocked up Thundagas, Blizzagas, etc on Seifer and passed them on to all my chars, my Magic is decent enough.  So, equip Mag+40% and Mag+20% to Selphie (since she has the highest magic amongst the three people that time).
Cast Blind on Diablos. Make sure that Diablos is BLINDED. Have fun! That time, Diablos won't be able to KILL you, as Diablos' attack are gravity-based, so the most it can hurt you is till your HP goes down to 1. And also, Diablos' physical attack will miss all the time as he is blinded.

Tactic 3:
Getting plenty of dark matters... ^_^ Neat stuff.
Only works in Disc 3 + Ragnarok. Go down the Research Sea Center. When you reach the floors where encounters are fixed (i.e. you cannot use Enc-None to avoid encounters), you'll see a save point at the first level. At the first level you will encounter Tri-Faces..... mug them for Curse Spikes!! There are 3 encounters... so deliberately encounter them and mug them for 6x curse spikes (or if you're lucky it'll be 8x). Get out from the screen after encountering them, re-enter... repeat the same trick... save if you want... till you collect 100x of them and convert them to dark matter using Siren's Tool-RF. I got around 7 dark matters after a few hours of mugging.. ^_^.

Lastly... I hate cheating. I feel that the game can only be enjoyed fully without cheating... as Joey mentioned.....

Anyway.... have fun.....   :D

Goku7

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #10 on: 2002-04-02 19:56:00 »
*Finishes reading FFTactic_Boy's Tactic #3*

Heeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Why didn't I think of that?!  Let's see.....I have enought Aura so Squall can do Renzokuken when needed.....I should be able to get all of the Curse Spikes needed for Dark Matter in, oh, 2 hours or so.  The only problem is whether or not I have the patience.

atzn

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #11 on: 2002-04-03 19:26:00 »

On 2002-04-02 15:56, Goku7 wrote:
*Finishes reading FFTactic_Boy's Tactic #3*

Heeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Why didn't I think of that?!  Let's see.....I have enought Aura so Squall can do Renzokuken when needed.....I should be able to get all of the Curse Spikes needed for Dark Matter in, oh, 2 hours or so.  The only problem is whether or not I have the patience.

Another tip in killing Tri-Faces easily (after mugging them)
Junction 100x Death to ST-ATK. If you're lucky should be able to kill them in one hit.....

Yeah and it takes hell lot of time to get 7 dark matters... but they're worth it.

Kendrilian

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/thenexusforce
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #12 on: 2002-04-04 20:59:00 »
If you don't want to gain levels while doing "Tactic's Insane Ideas", then just card the tri-faces when you have muged them.

Kendrilian

Goku7

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #13 on: 2002-04-05 00:26:00 »
One more important detail regarding tri-faces.  Their deadliest attack, I think its called "Poison Gas", does a wide variety of Status attacks to all characters in one hit.  I haven't counted them all, but its alot.

So, what's the best ST-DEF junction to use?  'Cause the above tactics won't work if you're unable to control your characters.

And, one other thing.  Which character stat affects the "mug" success rate?  I'm guessing its "luck", but I could be wrong.

Aaron

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #14 on: 2002-04-05 00:56:00 »
I think it's "Luck."

Junctioning Esuna to ST-DEF gives 20% to all stats, but that may not be enough.  I would junction, in addition to that, magic to prevent the *worst* status effects (that make you completely lose control of your character), like Berserk, Confuse, and maybe Sleep?

Goku7

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #15 on: 2002-04-05 01:09:00 »
I just noticed that after you card them, you can use the card mod ability to squeeze an extra curse spike out of 'em.  Hehehe.....I already got about 67 curse spikes.

Now, to make a dark matter, I know that one of my GFs have to be a level 100....is it supposed to be shiva, or siren?

Aaron

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #16 on: 2002-04-05 03:44:00 »
Siren.

Kendrilian

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/thenexusforce
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #17 on: 2002-04-05 14:33:00 »
Junction Ultima to something, and the only thing that Poison Gas will do is poison you...

Kendrilian

atzn

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #18 on: 2002-04-05 17:02:00 »
Another method to keep Tri-Faces from attacking is to use 100x Sleep on ST-ATK.. works 90% of the time.
I don't think that Luck can affect mugging rate.. as I have quite high Luck rate (I junctioned 100x Ultima to it).. and mugging still occurs randomly. Luck affects on critical strike mainly.

OK, poison is a headache. Use 100x Pain into ST-Def...
I don't recall any problems with poison while mugging them...  and physical damage was useless against my chars... as I have 200++ Vit on all my chars (without any +xx% bonuses).

Anyway.... have fun.

P.S.
Siren's Tool-RF ability..... now I doubt something about it.
When I have finished collected my curse spikes (my Siren was only at LVL 12 at that stage LOL) I can access to the Tool-RF ability....
weird.
I wonder if it is because of PC version??.......

*** Dark matters....... hmmm ***
1x Dark Matter -> 100 Ultima (Bahamut: Forbid mag-RF)  
Don't want to draw Ultima from Ultima Weapon? (I did draw 300 of them from U.Weapon)... this is the alternative... though I feel it is a waste.....
1x Dark Matter -> Shaman Stone (Siren: Tool-RF)    
Improves compatibility with bahamut.... hmm not worth it IMO
1x Shaman Stone -> LuvLuvG (Siren: Tool-RF)
+ 20 compatibility with all GFs.... still not too good after wasting so much time gathering dark matters and changing them to shaman stones...
1x Shaman Stone -> Rosetta Stone (Eden: GFAbl Med-RF)
Now... this is something awesome.... ability 4x is crucial.. well this is something really worth it!
1x Dark Matter -> Luck-J Scroll (Eden: GF Abl Med-RF)
Another nice one.... since Cactuar only has Luck-J...... and you can only find 2 Luck-J scrolls in the whole game.......

If you don't cheat, you will have to be patient........   :D

Goku7

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #19 on: 2002-04-05 19:16:00 »
You forgot the most important one.

1 Dark Matter--> Use on Quistis --> She can now do Griever's Signature attack!  Yippie!

atzn

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #20 on: 2002-04-05 20:46:00 »

On 2002-04-05 15:16, Goku7 wrote:
You forgot the most important one.

1 Dark Matter--> Use on Quistis --> She can now do Griever's Signature attack!  Yippie!

Oh drat, yeah I have forgotten the most important one.....
  :D

sfx1999

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #21 on: 2002-04-11 02:23:00 »
Juction both Ultima and Apocalypse to elemental-defense and you will absorb all types of elemental magic.
[edited] 332 2002-04-11 03:23

atzn

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #22 on: 2002-04-11 17:31:00 »

On 2002-04-10 22:23, sfx1999 wrote:
Juction both Ultima and Apocalypse to elemental-defense and you will absorb all types of elemental magic.

I thought Apocalypse can only be obtained by cheating? (or drawn from the Final Ultimecia)

Edit - Post won't appear

[edited] 81 2002-04-11 18:32

Aaron

• View Profile
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #23 on: 2002-04-11 22:41:00 »
You can only get it by cheating (or drawing at the end? Never actually tried that...), so you have no chance to junction it to anything!  Too bad...

[Edit] However, you could junction Ultima and Shell to Elem-Def and then you would absorb 120% of all elements.
[edited] 44 2002-04-11 23:42

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
FF8 Tatics...
« Reply #24 on: 2002-04-12 05:54:00 »
Games espically role playing games are like well.. or can be like movies.. Sometimes i think its fun to just go through the game cheating all the way and beat the crap out of it..

Picture FF8 with like all your GFz and apocalypse.. now.. it does kinda suck if you get all that.. but all items is real cool.. I love Qhimms Program..

*note
I dont cheat a game until i beat it.. or become so frustrated with it i am about to break it.. i like to get through a game on my own first.. then go cheat and see new things and all taht..