Final Fantasy 7 > Releases

[FF7PSX NTSC-U] Disc Extension Patch (v1.0)

(1/5) > >>

Bosola:
FF7 Disc Extension Patch (NTSC)Version 1.0
Expands the SCENE.BIN and KERNEL.BIN files for heavier modding

Tired of working within the filesize constraints of FF7 PSX? This Disc Extension Patch expands the KERNEL.BIN to 64kb and the SCENE.BIN to a whopping 2mb. Just apply the PPF patch to an NTSC Disc One ISO and you'll never need worry about filesizes again! Whether you need a bigger KERNEL for a translation patch, or you want to extend the SCENE's AI, the Disc Extension Patch should be part of every modder's arsenal.

This mod currently supports only the NTSC version

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?r4h6vfwjw10nmq4

Installing and Using the Patch

The patch is a simple PPF file, with instructions bundled in the download. The patch moves the files in question to the MOVIE directory, right at the end of the disc. You can then use something like CDMage or cdprog to import your modified files into the ISO.

Please be aware that this patch is mostly untested. Whilst I can confirm success playing ISOs with KERNELs and SCENEs larger than allowed in vanilla FF7, I cannot guarantee the exact max sizes of either file.

Vgr:
May be useful for LostWingx with his new mod and me too with AVgr :D

Bosola:
Well, the tools to do this have been about for some time. But they're a bit fiddly to use, and I think most new modders have enough to worry about getting to grips with Wallmarket etc., never mind messing about injecting sectors and what have you. So it seemed a good idea to just create an easy-to-use PPF that anyone can apply to their discs, and carry on without worry.

xLostWingx:
My God...this is incredible.  The capability to do so has been around?  Well thanks for this, you don't have to explain, but is there a simple explanation as to how this is possible? (Lack of Technical Knowledge really shows here, I don't even know the reason why they had to be limited in the first place.)  I will download this immediately and make my way over to the forries.

Bosola:

--- Quote from: xLostWingx on 2011-03-18 01:57:05 ---My God...this is incredible.  The capability to do so has been around?  Well thanks for this, you don't have to explain, but is there a simple explanation as to how this is possible?
--- End quote ---

Sure. I used a tool to edit the filesystem and assign specified sectors to two new files called 'KERNEL.BIN' and 'SCENE.BIN', placed at the end of the disc, in the MOVIES folder. I de-allocated the sectors used by the original files (the data still exists on those sectors, it's just there's no 'files' there). Then I imported the sectors from the original files and updated the YAMADA.BIN, a file lookup table that tells FF7 where certain files are and how large they are, using just a simple hex editor.

All I had to do then was use a PPF patcher.

Honestly, this is no technical feat. I didn't do this to impress anyone - I just knew the process was quite fiddly for new timers, and wanted to hand over a simple PPF patch so that no-one needn't bother with the messy details unless they were really interested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version