Author Topic: What's left to be done?  (Read 34460 times)

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
Re: What's left to be done?
« Reply #25 on: 2010-05-16 12:04:28 »
Is that so?? Hmm therefore it should be named Akari's project. :) Seriously dude you're very dedicated to this. If I go to church I'll pray for you. haha

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 2010-05-16 12:16:00 »
It's just that it's been such a long time since that "FAQ" was posted, and I remember reading somewhere that the initial goals have changed somewhat.

Yea, someone should really talk to the lazy bum who wrote that. It hasn't been touched in 4 years!

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-05-16 13:54:23 »
For those who interested in what's going on with q-gears:
I finish some low level staff, console commands and variables, inputs, events.
I'm working on loading of resources now. Background loading, file organization and such staff.
I'm work on particle system that can handle ffvii type of effects. It's not that easy. All effects are hardcoded so to implement them each of them needs to be reversed. Results will be here soon.
I'm work on battle 3d extractor/converter.

Wait for the good news =)

Hey Akari,
  I just had a go on v0.13 it's pretty sweet, keep up the good work

_Ombra_

• View Profile
    • http://www.sadnescity.it
« Reply #28 on: 2010-05-16 22:17:47 »
Hey Akari, long time no see! I can't believe you still have that tool :D Good to see it was helpful but i think it's a bit outdated. Somebody should step up and update it

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 2010-05-16 23:23:58 »
I wish I could offer support, but aside from a little experience with Python and C++, and the barest understanding of the FF7 engine, there's little I can give you.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-05-19 08:11:10 »
If only I knew C++, or pretty much any programming languages at all for that matter. I'm really interested in this actually.
Actually, while I'm sort of on topic in this thread, Maybe you could clarify something for me, Akari.

When it's done, Is Q-Gears still going to somehow compile into a brand new "FF7.exe" file for FF7PC (or even the PSX version so theoretically we can play it without an emulator) that's more up to date and more compatible with newer computers and programs? Or is it simply going to be a test program to be able to load resources from the PSX version (Which I believe it can already do, pretty much).

It's just that it's been such a long time since that "FAQ" was posted, and I remember reading somewhere that the initial goals have changed somewhat.

You can hemp with reversing things. There too much for one man to handle. If you have some instant messanger like ICQ or jubber than you can contact me and I explain what to do.

Main goal of this project is create engine that can be used to create games like FFVII, Xenogears, FFIX, FFX and so on and bunch of converters to convert data from this games to engine. I even think we can enhance things. For example now I play with nmkin5 field location made by Team Avalanche. =) Fully 3d FFVII =)

Hey Akari, long time no see! I can't believe you still have that tool :D Good to see it was helpful but i think it's a bit outdated. Somebody should step up and update it

Hello, long time no see =)
What tool are you talking about?

I wish I could offer support, but aside from a little experience with Python and C++, and the barest understanding of the FF7 engine, there's little I can give you.

You can help with reversing. Contact me and I explain what you can do. =)
« Last Edit: 2010-05-19 08:14:27 by Akari »

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #31 on: 2010-05-19 13:34:55 »
You can hemp with reversing things. There too much for one man to handle. If you have some instant messanger like ICQ or jubber than you can contact me and I explain what to do.
Well, Right now I'm a little busy with exams and everything, but I'd love to try my hand at helping with this when they're all over. I really have close to no experience with programming though - I can make a really crude calculator program in VB, and I can get things to show in a console in response to text input with C++. But I guess I'll follow some tutorials, and If you can show me what to do with Q-Gears, I hope I can learn a lot!

Main goal of this project is create engine that can be used to create games like FFVII, Xenogears, FFIX, FFX and so on and bunch of converters to convert data from this games to engine. I even think we can enhance things. For example now I play with nmkin5 field location made by Team Avalanche. =) Fully 3d FFVII =)
...Wow, thanks for the info. So basically, the possiblities are endless, pretty much?

Oh, and, uh, this is probably a really stupid question, but what needs to be done after the engine is complete in order to compile a new working FF7 program? I'm not exactly sure what role the engine plays in a complete game.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-05-19 15:50:14 »
If only I knew C++, or pretty much any programming languages at all for that matter. I'm really interested in this actually.
Actually, while I'm sort of on topic in this thread, Maybe you could clarify something for me, Akari.

When it's done, Is Q-Gears still going to somehow compile into a brand new "FF7.exe" file for FF7PC (or even the PSX version so theoretically we can play it without an emulator) that's more up to date and more compatible with newer computers and programs? Or is it simply going to be a test program to be able to load resources from the PSX version (Which I believe it can already do, pretty much).

Hello, long time no see =)
What tool are you talking about?

We need to see a video of my scene in 3d.  ;D

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-05-19 17:20:52 »

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at this. I wanted to help with the 3d backgrounds but my current computer just isn't hacking it with performance, unfortunately.

Maybe it could be a good idea to write up a tutorial like TA did.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-05-19 18:31:51 »

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at this. I wanted to help with the 3d backgrounds but my current computer just isn't hacking it with performance, unfortunately.

Maybe it could be a good idea to write up a tutorial like TA did.
Yeah a tutorial would be good. It will make more people into this stuff and help with your project. :)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-05-19 20:18:17 »
Writing up a tutorial for reverse engineering a game is 1000x harder then it sounds.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-05-19 20:24:56 »
now I play with nmkin5 field location made by Team Avalanche. =) Fully 3d FFVII =)
Wait wait wait, whaaat?

Very yes.

My exams are completer for semester. I can program Java and C++. My idle hands are your workhorse.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-05-19 20:47:06 »

What 3d format is needed for the engine? and yes a video would be a nice boost for the Avalanche project i think.

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-05-19 21:38:30 »
i would love to help reversing if i knew how to do it... =/

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-05-19 21:50:18 »
The ogre format i believe.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-05-19 22:23:28 »
Writing up a tutorial for reverse engineering a game is 1000x harder then it sounds.
Is that so?? If I can't even make a new custom model then I can't help Akari. Damn I'm dumb. :-\

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-05-21 11:52:20 »
Added exporter for effect's mesh from RAM.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-05-22 05:35:11 »

In real most part of reversing is easy =)
I just translate asm into pseudocode and then analize it. I have description of most addreses already so it's not that hard.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010-05-28 20:59:28 »
I agree with seeing Sl's scene in FF7 (if possible at current state) that'd be an amazing teaser haha ;D

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-05-29 06:58:43 »
I agree with seeing Sl's scene in FF7 (if possible at current state) that'd be an amazing teaser haha ;D

Yup. I create this teaser as soon as i can =)

My current plans are:
2 step:
- Particle system (in progress)
- Resource management and organization (in progress)
- Battle models exporter (in progress)
3 step:
- basic field and battle moduls
- loaders for field and mattle moduls
- walkmesh and character controller work together
4 step:
- unified lua scripting system
- animation commands
- battle and field scripting

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010-05-29 09:55:07 »
I want to see I want to see!! ;D
« Last Edit: 2010-05-29 14:38:00 by nikfrozty »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-05-29 14:33:31 »

My current plans are:
2 step:
3 step:
4 step:
- animation commands

So, on a theoretical note. Since this is basically a whole new game engine. Could one say.. Ohh... Add HDR and And bump mapping? just curious. No need to implement it of course

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010-05-29 16:34:41 »

My current plans are:
2 step:
3 step:
4 step:
- animation commands

So, on a theoretical note. Since this is basically a whole new game engine. Could one say.. Ohh... Add HDR and And bump mapping? just curious. No need to implement it of course

Everything is posible.

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010-05-29 16:57:58 »
HDR and And bump mapping

that would be sick.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010-06-10 19:18:27 »
Just for test. nmkin5 3d model from sl1982