Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Gameplay Mod using HexEditor/Ifrit  (Read 3585 times)

Mortael

• View Profile
[FF8PC-Steam] Gameplay Mod using HexEditor/Ifrit
« on: 2015-01-07 13:40:42 »
So, I want to try and pull some heads together to do a couple of things, I've started to get to grips with hex-editting and want to see if we can make a solid mod out of this, maybe start small by changing a couple of small things like magic/items etc. and increase monster difficulty etc.

So I did a little hunting for some codes, and came across more magic codes:

01 - Fire
02 - Fira
03 - Firaga
04 - Blizzard
05 - Blizzara
06 - Blizzaga
07 - Thunder
08 - Thundara
09 - Thundaga
0A - WATER
0B - AERO
0C - BIO
0D - DEMI
0E - HOLY
0F - FLARE
10 - METEOR
11 - QUAKE
12 - TORNADO
13 - ULTIMA
14 - APOCALYPSE
15 - Cure
16 - Cura
17 - Curaga
18 - LIFE
19 - FULL LIFE
1A - REGEN
1B - ESUNA
1C - DISPEL
1D - PROTECT
1E - SHELL
1F - REFLECT
20 - AURA
21 - DOUBLE
22 - TRIPLE
23 - HASTE
24 - SLOW
25 - STOP
26 - BLIND
27 - CONFUSE
28 - SLEEP
29 - SILENCE
2A - BREAK
2B - DEATH
2C - DRAIN
2D - PAIN
2E - BERSERK
2F - FLOAT
30 - ZOMBIE
31 - MELTDOWN
32 - SCAN
33 - FULL CURE
34 - WALL
35 - RAPTURE
36 - PERCENT
37 - CATASTROPHE
38 - THE END
39 through 3f nothing
----

40 - Quezacotl
41 - Shiva
42 - Ifrit
43 - Siren
44 - Brothers
45 - Diablos
46 - Carbuncle
47 - Leviathan
48 - Pandemona
49 - Cerberus
4a - Alexander
4b - Doomtrain
4c - Bahamut
4d - Cactuar
4e - Tonberry
4f - Eden

A possibility to add GF's to monsters, and also we could add magic like Full-Cure to Marlboros, (being they would require some tactic to safely draw from them) and we could add 'Wall' to Iron Giant.

As for Percent/Catastrophe, we could try and find the hex codes for their animations and work, i.e. we could give the Gravija animation to percent- it could be drawable from one of Ultimecia's servants

Another suggestion:

Adding/Replacing HP-Up/Str-Up/Vit-Up etc. to monsters as a rare drop, such as T-rex for Str, Vit-Up for Adamantoise/Iron Giant and HP-Up from Ruby Dragon. THIS WOULD save a lot of time. Grinding should not take thousands of hours! And there will be no more use for the 99Mil gil exploit...

To combat the more accessibility of these items, we could make these battles much more difficult. I would REALLY love to find some kind of Damage to Vit Ratio/Level ratio to work on making these battles much more difficult.

Another suggestion: We add random boss monsters/replacing monsters after the Lunar Cry incident

Suggestions/thoughts are welcome, if you're a capable hand please offer it!
« Last Edit: 2015-01-07 14:46:59 by Mortael »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Gameplay Mod using HexEditor/Ifrit
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-07 15:11:33 »
I think the better thing to do regarding Stat-Up items is to remove them altogether. If you balance enemies with stat-maxing in mind then you'd be making stat-maxing a necessity rather than an optional thing.

Is it possible to edit the stat boost given by spells when junctioned, or to change which stats each spell boosts up? I think the first crucial steps toward balancing this game is bringing either it's magic Junction system to heel or figuring out a way to change the enemy level scaling; as it is, level manipulation can easily break the game.

Mortael

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Gameplay Mod using HexEditor/Ifrit
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-07 20:56:25 »
I just did battle with Diablos, keeping the Break Damage/Break Hitpoint in mind,

I had basic stats, with 255 str, yet 130 vit, 70 spr etc.

Level 100, Diablos has 3mil HP, and uses Meteor instead of Demi <-- This is a mega FU especially after he uses Gravija, if you do not have max Spirit. (This is it to help discourage levelling up early in the game) Instead of the random Curaga he casts, I changed it to Ultima, and I set the ratios so that Diablos is much slower in his lower levels, but progresses really quickly mid-high in terms of speed (255 speed after level 60 ish+)

He has 255 evade.. Why? He is the devil. And this makes it so that you *must* use limit breaks on this guy, or if you saved him Triple on your Hit-J/Squall's Gunblade, but... You either have to risk being in low health, or it will take you many years to kill him. I managed to succeed with only two characters, for the sake of the test - Quistis and Squall.

Drawing magic: Full-Cure (you're going to need it. BUT, it's unreliable, because sometimes it wont heal *all* your health and will put you in your place shortly after) Meltdown, for obvious reasons, Demi and Slow, I removed Diablos being vulnerable to blind.. HE IS THE DEVIL. He is now vulnerable to Holy, but absorbs all other elements.

I have hopefully designed it in a way that if you're too overlevelled, if you try and stock up on magic, you will essentially be killed, Diablos is mega-fast, each turn is crucial! Similar to Penance in FFX, one mistake could ruin you, I hope, especially early Disc 1!

Furthermore, in terms of drop, if you do manage to kill level 100 Diablos, or saved him for last, you get 100 Luck-Ups.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-07 20:59:14 by Mortael »