Author Topic: FF8 width font ???  (Read 2984 times)

Agahnim

• fourgive mii four baud iinglisch :D
    • View Profile
    • Rom Dom Greece
FF8 width font ???
« on: 2013-09-02 00:02:57 »
okay guys one more time i need your help.

me and leonhartGR decide to cooperate and translate the PC versions of FF7 and FF8 into Greek language.

so all i want is to change the damn widths of font characters. i already know that i need assembly but i'm not a programmer and i don't know this language yet

so please explain to me which of the FF8 files have the widths(menu.fs maybe?) and how i will changing them?

Info from an old topic i think it's helpful
FF8 use a table to indicate every font's width in dialog, I only found it in memory. I found the address by tracing the memory reading and writing the dialog data with SoftIce. I think you can search it in menu.fs.

the mem address is 01D2B900
every 4bits indicates a width of a font
the minimum is 00, the maximum is 0F
maybe someone can help us. Thanx in advance guys

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 width font ???
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-02 10:44:05 »
I guess the first question would be do you really need to change the width or can you change the width of the font to match in photoshop. The latter option will be much easier

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

Agahnim

• View Profile
    • Rom Dom Greece
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-02 11:47:13 »
you mean to fit the custom font characters with the default width?? aah i dont think it's easy neither a good solution.

Is it so hard to change the values of the width ?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-02 11:53:28 »
Changing width of font characters is easy, the problem is, you then have the menus and dialogue text that won't fit properly.  If you are making the font smaller, the text will be too small for the box and look odd, or too small for the menu. With the menu overrhaul in ff7, we had to manually change almost everything to make the new font work.  Besides, the real issue with FF8 isn't the width values, it's the actual font they've used for PC.  It isn't correct.  Look at the PSX version.

Agahnim

• View Profile
    • Rom Dom Greece
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-02 17:57:39 »
well..it's okay if the menu will be broken. at this moment we just need to change the width and nothing more. if any problem occurs, we will try to resolve it when it's come.

so please show me the way :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-02 18:08:13 »
If that address above is correct, you need to edit the file using a hex editor.  I haven't gone into ff8 for this.  Once you have the correct memory/file area, you need to manually hex edit file.  That's as simple as it gets...
« Last Edit: 2013-09-02 18:15:04 by DLPB »