Author Topic: Interesting...........  (Read 29315 times)

Zophixan

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« on: 2002-05-26 15:41:14 »
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/finalfantasyx0/
This guy apparantly got links to squaresoft.

Ant

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #1 on: 2002-05-26 18:46:38 »
Bah! What a crock of shit.  That guy just want's people's email addresses so he can spam ya.

gigatron

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #2 on: 2002-05-27 01:16:48 »
actualy if im not mistaken ff9 and 10 are coming to pc, ff9 is coming as a 'special edition' or something i dont know when i forget the aproximate date and no i dont know whats in the so called special part of it heh... now ffx i forget about it entirely. But erm PC can handle it way better then shitty ol' already out of date ps2 :P

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Interesting...........
« Reply #3 on: 2002-05-27 02:32:58 »
FF9 Special Edition was an April Fools' joke.

Where'd you get your info?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Interesting...........
« Reply #4 on: 2002-05-27 11:00:28 »
I actually think the ps2 is superior to PC as a gaming platform. Don't flame me for this, you can't change my opinion anyway (and you shouldn't try). Just look at how FFX utilizes the ps2 sfx (motion blur, distorsions etc.). A good game is made from the right atmosphere, not a polygon count so high that it's silly. Anyway, those sfx is probably one of the reasons FFX isn't coming to PC. There just isn't any widespread PC graphics hardware that does them properly. And if you try rendering those in software the game'll lag down unless you have a bigass XXXX MHz CPU. The ps2 does it naturally, and usually with no lag at all.

Anyway, that's only my opinion. Do not take offense.

Aaron

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #5 on: 2002-05-27 12:06:34 »
PS2 is a better gaming platform than PC when it comes to graphics, currently (even though there are PCs that could beat it out... not many people have them).  I don't think you can call PS2's hardware "out of date."

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
Interesting...........
« Reply #6 on: 2002-05-27 14:51:14 »
i dunno, qhimm.... my ti 4600 is pretty sexah :D

Aaron

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #7 on: 2002-05-27 15:58:16 »
Lol.

GF4 TI 4600 can definately whoop up on PlayStation2 in terms of 3D performance.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Interesting...........
« Reply #8 on: 2002-05-27 16:18:16 »
Well in that case, why aren't there any PC titles of equal beauty? And if there are, please do tell. I haven't found any yet.

J*** H*******

Interesting...........
« Reply #9 on: 2002-05-27 16:44:35 »
atzn

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #10 on: 2002-05-27 18:33:31 »
Forgive me if I'm wrong, even though the GeForce4 Ti4600 can whoop up the PS2 graphics, can it actually beat the bandwidth? Heard that the PS2 is far superior in bandwidth, which makes it really good for games. Also, as Jari said... game developers have to develop games that runs well on most computers.... this includes the good old 400MHz machines. Unless they are developing only for 2GHz machines and above, then it's a totally different story, the PC will own the console any time if they do so. But do you actually have the $$$ to burn??  :) One GeForce4 Ti4600 is already nearly twice the PS2's price. Add it with a 2GHz CPU, etc... lol
It'll take some time before PC graphics can reach till PS2's capabilities at a reasonable price & performance. But by that time, PS3 might be out.... so this fight will never end... unless you have the $$$ to burn (which I don't have, unfortunately)...

gigatron

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #11 on: 2002-05-27 19:12:52 »
Pfft my geforce2 beats the crap out of Ps2 :P pfft pfft end of story heh. Bah ps2 is overrated, only reason it survived was because of the massive propaganda that sony put into the consumer's minds (like sega is evil old crap dont buy pretty much) so on and so forth :P

atzn

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #12 on: 2002-05-27 19:46:13 »
Quote from: gigatron
Pfft my geforce2 beats the crap out of Ps2 :P pfft pfft end of story heh.  

hah  :lol:  remember Final Fantasy 7 for the PC? that's like 4-5 years back. How many people own 300MHz machines that time? How many people actually own a 3D card? How expensive is a Pentium II machine that time? With a 3D card as well.
Did a 166MHz system actually scored 50FPS on FF7 using software renderer at full screen ? Why can a PS1 easily run FF7 but a PC struggle? (At the same time when PS1 was just released)

And now the same question .. why didn't Square release FFX for the PC? Can a GeForce2/1GHz machine run FFX at 30FPS (or more) at 1600X1200X32 res? (assuming that Square is smart to integrate high-res) Can it handle motion blur smoothly? Think again.....

I think it is not right to say that the PS2 graphics are outdated but you are not wrong as well, because the current GeForce4 is the only graphics card which could beat the PS2. I disagree that GeForce2 can do any better than PS2, because I own a GeForce2 Pro as well, and I know how _slow_ this card is.  :(

gigatron

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #13 on: 2002-05-27 19:51:26 »
Well i dont know what the hell u play lately lol, but erm my card runs alot of nice games, second of all ps2 runs at 640x480 max if im not mistaken. So yea :P And second of all motion blur isnt that hard to implement. It was even in ff7. Also my pentium233mmx and voodoo banshee ran ff7 beatifully :) Motion blur was basic like but it still was there. Ps2 is overrated say what u want :) I am not biased at all towards systems, but im just facing facts man... like argh some ppl are so mesmerized that they consider XBOX worst hardware then ps2, or gamecube being worst then ps2.

Aaron

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #14 on: 2002-05-27 20:01:27 »
GF4TI's memory bandwidth?  Try 10.4GB/Sec ?

I dunno what PS2's is.

atzn

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #15 on: 2002-05-27 20:04:48 »
Quote from: gigatron
Well i dont know what the hell u play lately lol, but erm my card runs alot of nice games, second of all ps2 runs at 640x480 max if im not mistaken. So yea :P And second of all motion blur isnt that hard to implement. It was even in ff7. Also my pentium233mmx and voodoo banshee ran ff7 beatifully :) Motion blur was basic like but it still was there. Ps2 is overrated say what u want :) I am not biased at all towards systems, but im just facing facts man... like argh some ppl are so mesmerized that they consider XBOX worst hardware then ps2, or gamecube being worst then ps2.

Well I play Tribes2, which is already 1 year old. And I still get like 20-30 fps at max details + FSAA
Also, Fifa 2002 at maximum details, I think I'm getting less than 20-30 FPS at times.
Could it be my processor? Probably. I'm only running at 1.2GHz. I don't really need anything faster for the moment because it is really an _overkill_ for what I do (programming, video encoding, graphics, etc) and I hardly touch any games nowadays.
Personally I don't like GF2's AA, its crap, really.

Yes, PS2 games runs on 640X480, have to agree on that, PC beats PS2 in terms of crispness/sharpness ... or whatever you call it.

And , uh, don't be mistaken , I'm not a PS2 supporter, if you ask me which is better overall I would still say PC, because PC has better games than PS2. I'm just trying to say that the PS2 has a good graphics engine, if not great?...

gigatron

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #16 on: 2002-05-27 20:07:15 »
I don't know man :/ I just don't see it like that, i have a pentium IV 1.8GHz@2GHz and geforce2GTS right now slightly overclocked games like jk2 i get 90fps at max settings :/

The only reason certain games on ps2 look so great is cause the detail gets distorted by low res games, so u cant quite tell for example a sharp polygon angle turn on a character or car or whatever, and such just how i view it :/ MGS2 for example aint that great to me no more (im very critical so that u know of my work and of others heh) I was never so impressed by the rain on the ship it just proved more bluriness and dizziness to hide away lack of true detail and hell textures are still blury :/

atzn

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #17 on: 2002-05-27 20:39:54 »
Quote from: Aaron
GF4TI's memory bandwidth?  Try 10.4GB/Sec ?

I dunno what PS2's is.

Alright, just made some research.
PS2's graphics memory bandwidth = 48GB per sec.

Gigatron: No wonder. lol 1.2Ghz and 2Ghz is a huge difference, really and it's not surprising that you get the desired Frame rates while I don't  :P

Anyway I'll stop making posts on this topic as I feel it'll go on forever and ever.... heh. Give others some chance to state/express their opinions.

gigatron

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #18 on: 2002-05-27 23:39:59 »
http://consolebattle.8k.com/ps2.html

there are the specs of the ps2 remember kids 300MHz console is not the same as a 300MHz PC lol :) Doesn't PS2 have a RISC chip?

Also here is a system comparison :D

http://www.planetxbox.com/hardware/system/

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #19 on: 2002-05-28 02:57:24 »
Lol.

Let's just say the PC uses the brute force approach to everything.
"It can't do that yet? Let's just add more power to the chip"
PC makers just seem to care less about perfection.
They release broken games cause they know the can release patches.
They don't bother releasing proper drivers and proper hardware cause they know they can get the users to upgrade it.

In the case of the PS2, they've pretty much done all the optimization they can. Since the PS2 was meant to play games and nothing else (besides DVD's and CD's), everything in it is optimized to do just that. So, all the game developers have to focus on is using the current features available.

*forgot what he wanted to say cause he was busy reading the article in the link below*
http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/visiontek-gf4ti4400/

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
Interesting...........
« Reply #20 on: 2002-05-28 03:56:36 »
PS2's graphics memory bandwidth = 48GB per sec.

im almost positive thats wrong. the only thing the number 48 is linked to is the number of audio channels on the ps2.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Interesting...........
« Reply #21 on: 2002-05-28 11:41:40 »
SaiNT: Amazing, you were able to sum up all my thoughts on the PC market in that short post. I couldn't agree more. Console programmers do tend to spend more work perfecting the game, and since the hardware is common they can add these little extras without worry. But the PC style grows deep, just look at companies who port PC games to PS2 - often not a pretty sight.

Darkness: No, 48GB/s is correct. The PS2 GPU utilizes a 2560-bit bus capable of 48GB/s.

-- WARNING: PERSONAL OPINION FOLLOWS --

Lastly, I don't agree at all with people saying the PS2 is nothing crap, surviving on the marketing hype. There's a reason well-known development companies like Square choose to work with PS2, and it isn't "hype". I've met people (no relation to this topic) who've bashed the PS2, saying it's crap, the system specs compare to their 5-year-old PC, how their PC would whoop the PS2's ass, there aren't any good games for the PS2, it's horribly overrated and hyped by Sony etc. etc. But then when asked if they'd ever played a PS2, they'd say "no, of course not, I don't buy crap". Makes it kind of hard to accurately judge the console, no?  :)

It's not like I hate the PC market (I do happen to own one, and play games on it), it's just that I wish the sense of perfection found on the console platform (Xbox excluded) would find its way onto the PC market. I've played game labelled as "the embodiment of perfection", and what I see are polygonized people with more resemblance to a wooden stick than a human being. Way too many PC developers argue that a game gets better by making the textures twice as detailed (requiring 4x the video mem), or doubling the polygon count. They're not as worried about actually making good use of that extra detail.

The PC's increasingly powerful hardware is, as SaiNt says, a double-edged sword. Developers spend more time raising texture and poly count, and less time optimizing the game. The reason console games (not just the PS2) have outstanding games (IMO) is just because the hardware is limited. Developers have to tweak and optimize to get the game playable, and on older consoles graphics was very limited, so gameplay was the keyword to making the game enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the consoles are perfect, lots of rotten games get out there too. I'm just subtly implying that there's a greater chance of finding a good game (by my standards) on a console than on PC.

PC games can be a lot of fun, but if I want a game that's pure enjoyment, beauty and atmosphere, the PC market is not where I look for it. Flight simulators, strategy games, first-person shooters, all that is PC domain. Each platform has its strengths, it's when they try to take a piece of the other's cake things get complicated.

Crap, crap, crap. I wen't off rambling again. Just remember that these are all my personal opinions, if they don't coincide with yours, there's no need to take offense. Feel free to point out any errors in my facts, but please don't go off on a bash saying I'm wrong for liking the PS2 or having certain views on the gaming market. Thank you.

:weep:  -  near death after playing FFX since last thursday

J*** H*******

Interesting...........
« Reply #22 on: 2002-05-28 12:39:25 »
atzn

• View Profile
Interesting...........
« Reply #23 on: 2002-05-28 18:54:41 »
Well I guess what The Saint said was true after all. I've read that type of statement in a website recently ,when they reviewed XBox and compared it to a PC.  :)

Qhimm: Probably it's your opinion, I do agree with most of your points. But personally, ok, I said personally... I prefer PC games over console. You might think the other way, but hey; us humans have different choices right?
I've played before a PS2 (although I never own it), Dreamcast, PS1, N64 and several consoles before.... somehow I still don't really like using the gamepad. But for games like Final Fantasy, it is an exception  :D
I don't like using a console, really..
I play First Person Shooter, RPG, strategy and simulation games. Probably that explains why I don't really like to play consoles that much.

Nevertheless, we musn't underestimate a console though.... I've read in a newspaper a year ago (probably 2 years) about PS1... Saddam Hussein bought a million of them for their processing power.... thus I feel that a console has a lot of processing power.....

J*** H*******

Interesting...........
« Reply #24 on: 2002-05-28 19:47:43 »