Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836706 times)

Axel Firestorm

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8025 on: 2019-06-10 17:52:03 »
I tried out your vanilla combat installer but I noticed that the materia, for example, still showed the modifications from NT and not the original values from vanilla. Summon materia, for instance, are still 1 star mastered. What I had been asking about was a version of the game with just NT's translation and extra scenes (outside those involving NT-unique stuff) but no other changes. Sorry if I was unclear about that.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: 2019-06-10 18:50:53 »
I tried out your vanilla combat installer but I noticed that the materia, for example, still showed the modifications from NT and not the original values from vanilla. Summon materia, for instance, are still 1 star mastered. What I had been asking about was a version of the game with just NT's translation and extra scenes (outside those involving NT-unique stuff) but no other changes. Sorry if I was unclear about that.

I forgot to remove the hext folder from the IRO generation folder, I'll re-compile it.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: 2019-06-10 19:04:50 »
I updated all the links; there was a line missing from the .exes that allow enemies weak to poison, but immune to the status, to be hit by attacks of that element. Should make Rocket Town on Disc 2 easier as the elemental weakness intended there wasn't exploitable without it.

Vanilla IRO was updated with the hext folders removed, shouldn't be adjusting the exe anymore.

Axel Firestorm

• View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: 2019-06-10 19:54:25 »
Even with the updated IRO, the changes NT made to limits, materia, and enemy skills still remain. Is there any way to change them back to their default values?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: 2019-06-10 23:10:06 »
If you run the game using just the ff7.exe rather than through 7h, are the NT changes still present?

Axel Firestorm

• View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: 2019-06-11 04:06:27 »
Yes, that's how I do it. I get the same whether it's ff7.exe or ff7_bc.exe. Dunno why they persist like that.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: 2019-06-11 09:59:04 »
According to Alyza the hext changes applied via an IRO shouldn't be permanent, and my understanding of stats is that they change dynamically based on what .exe is being used. Have you ever used the main installer or swapped NT exes in prior to the hext update? I can't think what else, unless some bug is making the hext changes permanent.

Axel Firestorm

• View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: 2019-06-11 11:43:36 »
I tried the main installer originally, but I think you only said you'd updated the IRO, not the installer, so I didn't check on that again. The only .exe's I've swapped in are vanilla ones so I wouldn't have to reinstall every time I wanted to get rid of NT and try again.

Jonesin4Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: 2019-06-11 11:57:32 »
Ok so I reinstalled FF7 (Steam) and reinstalled 7th Heaven and imported the [June 10th 2019] - 7th Heaven IRO,   not sure if it fixed my rank issue cause I'm a long way off ranking up on Cloud,   is there a way to see what rank you are without having enough points to rank up?

LeOsTyLe

• View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: 2019-06-11 16:20:25 »
Ok so I reinstalled FF7 (Steam) and reinstalled 7th Heaven and imported the [June 10th 2019] - 7th Heaven IRO,   not sure if it fixed my rank issue cause I'm a long way off ranking up on Cloud,   is there a way to see what rank you are without having enough points to rank up?

There is a cheat editor called Black Chocobo. You can open the savefile (it is compatible with New Threat) and you have a Base Stats Section and a another Stats Section. When you know e.g. you never choose Luck sources upgrades. And you have e.g. +20 luck in the other Stats Section . You know you have Rank 4 since every rank you got +5 all stats. I used that cheat editor to reset clouds rank stats, because my cloud had to many points, because i recognized the bug to late.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-11 16:22:22 by LeOsTyLe »

LeOsTyLe

• View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: 2019-06-11 19:40:44 »
I just finished normal mode.  I talked to every person, visited every area and every corner of it, did every sidequest, killed every boss in the game and did many tests how somethings work in battles. Game timer is now 70+ hours but the real number including reloads after death and testing how things work in battles is probably about 100 hours.

Sega Chief, you did a wonderful work. Here are my thoughts (you don’t need to comment every single one):

-The lvl4 sidequests fits good into the story, best was cids because you need to visit many different places to complete this. Cait Cith and some others for example you just need to visit one place kill something and done. They all should feel more like the cid one. Collect here information, travel there, bring this thing here etc.

- The Jugon League is fantastic

- The Dark Cave is a very good idea, but I think It have much more unique potential, maybe it can be a endless random dungeon where only there you can find randomly some special items or (if possible) you make it like the ancients cave in lufia 2 or you remove the option to choose arrange mode on the start and when you enter the dark cave a new game+ starts in arrange mode.

- The changes to the materia are good, but I think there should be more 1star materia e.g. planet, contain, sneak attack, multicut, mega all, quadra magic, maybe more. Counter attack need still a nerf maybe 50% weapon dmg or make conter attack 1star and you can obtain 3-4 in the game or just lower the rate to 25% trigger. The thing is counter attack early on is not the problem, the problem begin when you you have many of them with a good phys char.

- The changes to phy and magic dmg are a good idea, but phy dmg got nerfed to much. In the playtrough I only used magic because the pyh dmg was not worth it only limits were good. Even with bad magic stats its better to attack with magic and with osmose the mp isn’t a big problem.  In endgame I think Phy dmg needs overall a small buff like 25%. Conformer is to strong, especially with many conter attacks every boss is a joke.

- I like that any good armor now has a problem like no linked slots or halves healing etc. now there is not “the best” armor it depends on the fights and this is good.

- Crafting the ultimate weapons was a very good idea, I like it very much

- I like the new battle square bosses and the bosses in kalm as well. But maybe instead putting the omega and nemesis weapon on battle square they should get their own little part like ozma. And you can make the npc (where you currently can fight cait cith tank, omega and nemesis) a npc where you can rebattle the bosses you already defeated. Maybe for a special reward.

- The Special battle where you need to fight 8 bosses in a row. Is very good too. It would even better when you not fight everytime the same. Maybe you can make a boss pool where are 8 bosses randomly picked up. E.g. all the main story bosses maybe level adjusted, so they got some love.

- I not like the soft level cap every 10 level. In my opinion this feel unnatural and should be linear, even when I know its probably hard to balance, but I wanted to say that.

- Speaking of linear. We come to the rank up system. I like it very much you can  choose which way to go, but instead of only 8 big rank ups I would prefer many small rank ups and if possible they should be linked to the level up system. Maybe every level up you gain a character specific item (one for every char, when cloud lvl up you gain a cloud item, when aerith lvl up a aerith item etc.) and you can trade this item on every save points for the sources you want. And for the flat +5 all stats you can do something like every 2 lvl ups automatic +1 all stats.

- the changes to defence, magic defence (2x) in the damage formular is awesome, now defence is thing to thinking about and is not overpowered since they are many attack which ignores them or deal %dmg.

- The 41 level cap in the damage formular on the one hand is good to limit the phy dmg, but on the other hand I wish the damage formular could be more linear without have the need to cap it at lvl41 so you can feel a difference between a lvl 50 char with 150 str and a lvl 99 char with 150 str.

- the implementing of innate character abilitys was a good idea to make a character different, as well as the possibility of skiping some story element like the nibelheim flash back, the possibility to remove random encounters on field maps and the fast morph materia.

- fighting for the strong materials like quadra magic was a good idea. Maybe this could be expanded to some others like planet, contain and comet.

- I would remove the lucky 7777, its feels like cheating

- I would fix the 2x item bug/cheat or remove the 2x item materia if its not possible

- I would remove the added effect barrier shield bug/trick. Early on and in mid game its overpowered.

- Since I had access to the crater and I mastered my materia and reborn it how many times I need, made good materia combos and got the ultimate weapons, the game become to easy. I played in normal mode. Maybe this is in arrange mode different.

I hope I could help you with my input to make your already wonderful mod a little better. I looking forward your final release even when it comes in one year or even later. I will play it probably in arrange mod.

HeXy

• View Profile
    • Toast the Ghost
« Reply #8036 on: 2019-06-12 09:09:53 »
I just finished normal mode.  I talked to every person, visited every area and every corner of it, did every sidequest, killed every boss in the game and did many tests how somethings work in battles. Game timer is now 70+ hours but the real number including reloads after death and testing how things work in battles is probably about 100 hours.

Incredible, any tips on how to beat
Spoiler: show
The Bomb King & the 6 Golden Tonberries? Bomb kings minions always knock out 2 chars and murder the remaining one with LIMIT BREAK, even though I'm only targeting the King (using Hydro), and the Tonberries.. dont even go there, its too painful!

It raises another question, what would you consider the best order to tackle the latter parts?  I've been mixing between tackling a New Threat, trying to get a special materia, attempting to get Weapon to fight me properly instead of flying away, and checking the weapons smith to see if I've got enough items to forge a weapon yet (none so far).

« Last Edit: 2019-06-12 09:14:57 by HeXy »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: 2019-06-12 12:21:37 »

Sega Chief, you did a wonderful work. Here are my thoughts (you don’t need to comment every single one):

-The lvl4 sidequests fits good into the story, best was cids because you need to visit many different places to complete this. Cait Cith and some others for example you just need to visit one place kill something and done. They all should feel more like the cid one. Collect here information, travel there, bring this thing here etc.

- The Jugon League is fantastic

- The Dark Cave is a very good idea, but I think It have much more unique potential, maybe it can be a endless random dungeon where only there you can find randomly some special items or (if possible) you make it like the ancients cave in lufia 2 or you remove the option to choose arrange mode on the start and when you enter the dark cave a new game+ starts in arrange mode.

- The changes to the materia are good, but I think there should be more 1star materia e.g. planet, contain, sneak attack, multicut, mega all, quadra magic, maybe more. Counter attack need still a nerf maybe 50% weapon dmg or make conter attack 1star and you can obtain 3-4 in the game or just lower the rate to 25% trigger. The thing is counter attack early on is not the problem, the problem begin when you you have many of them with a good phys char.

- The changes to phy and magic dmg are a good idea, but phy dmg got nerfed to much. In the playtrough I only used magic because the pyh dmg was not worth it only limits were good. Even with bad magic stats its better to attack with magic and with osmose the mp isn’t a big problem.  In endgame I think Phy dmg needs overall a small buff like 25%. Conformer is to strong, especially with many conter attacks every boss is a joke.

- I like that any good armor now has a problem like no linked slots or halves healing etc. now there is not “the best” armor it depends on the fights and this is good.

- Crafting the ultimate weapons was a very good idea, I like it very much

- I like the new battle square bosses and the bosses in kalm as well. But maybe instead putting the omega and nemesis weapon on battle square they should get their own little part like ozma. And you can make the npc (where you currently can fight cait cith tank, omega and nemesis) a npc where you can rebattle the bosses you already defeated. Maybe for a special reward.

- The Special battle where you need to fight 8 bosses in a row. Is very good too. It would even better when you not fight everytime the same. Maybe you can make a boss pool where are 8 bosses randomly picked up. E.g. all the main story bosses maybe level adjusted, so they got some love.

- I not like the soft level cap every 10 level. In my opinion this feel unnatural and should be linear, even when I know its probably hard to balance, but I wanted to say that.

- Speaking of linear. We come to the rank up system. I like it very much you can  choose which way to go, but instead of only 8 big rank ups I would prefer many small rank ups and if possible they should be linked to the level up system. Maybe every level up you gain a character specific item (one for every char, when cloud lvl up you gain a cloud item, when aerith lvl up a aerith item etc.) and you can trade this item on every save points for the sources you want. And for the flat +5 all stats you can do something like every 2 lvl ups automatic +1 all stats.

- the changes to defence, magic defence (2x) in the damage formular is awesome, now defence is thing to thinking about and is not overpowered since they are many attack which ignores them or deal %dmg.

- The 41 level cap in the damage formular on the one hand is good to limit the phy dmg, but on the other hand I wish the damage formular could be more linear without have the need to cap it at lvl41 so you can feel a difference between a lvl 50 char with 150 str and a lvl 99 char with 150 str.

- the implementing of innate character abilitys was a good idea to make a character different, as well as the possibility of skiping some story element like the nibelheim flash back, the possibility to remove random encounters on field maps and the fast morph materia.

- fighting for the strong materials like quadra magic was a good idea. Maybe this could be expanded to some others like planet, contain and comet.

- I would remove the lucky 7777, its feels like cheating

- I would fix the 2x item bug/cheat or remove the 2x item materia if its not possible

- I would remove the added effect barrier shield bug/trick. Early on and in mid game its overpowered.

- Since I had access to the crater and I mastered my materia and reborn it how many times I need, made good materia combos and got the ultimate weapons, the game become to easy. I played in normal mode. Maybe this is in arrange mode different.

I hope I could help you with my input to make your already wonderful mod a little better. I looking forward your final release even when it comes in one year or even later. I will play it probably in arrange mod.

-) I was wanting to revise the lv.4 limit sidequests a bit as, like you say, a lot are a case 'go here, fight'. I've most locked in, but one or two I'm still unsure of.

-) I'm not a big fan of the junon league thing myself; I was going to cut it from the last update, but what I could try doing is making it available to access from more locations like the Fort Condor minigame is and try to make it a bit more involved/less time-consuming.

-) I want to scrap Dark Cave and replace it with something else. I had been looking at a 'floor-based' dungeon that goes through lots of fields with punishing encounters and a boss/change of theme every five floors or so; make it more of a battle-based thing like that Ehrgeiz dungeon game or the FF Advance post-story dungeons.

-) Quadra Magic is a bit of an issue for various reasons; first it doubles the paired spell's attack and makes it four times as long, it also breaks the 1-use Summon limit I tried to put in, and it also causes a freeze when using a spell paired with both it and Absorb materia on any enemy that divides its model into multiple parts (jenova synthesis, bizarro, some others). Counter Materia can maybe be balanced using the materia stat bonus/penalties a bit more. The % chance to proc may be OK where it's at right now. What would be nice is limiting counter actions down to about 3 or so instead of 5 or 6.

-) Physicals vs Magic has been a long running thing in NT; I think physicals rely on elemental and fast characters too much to be viable, which I'm keeping in mind. I adjusted the critical and elemental damage modifers for the final build prototype and dropped the level adjustment hack in the character AI. I'm going to experiment with the physical damage formula (for level's impact on it) to see if there's a better solution I can find for it. Special weapon formulas are located (I think) so expect their modifiers to be adjusted.

-) I'm not too sure about ultimate weapon crafting; I think people probably find it more of an annoyance as the requirements are going into the Crater and farming for drops/steals/morphs from the enemies inside. What I'd like to try and do is get them put behind something that's a bit more actively engaging for the player. I think that crafting thing would be better suited to a sister ray version where the number of possible weapons + items is increased, meaning that weapon variants/upgrades could be produced.

-) Battle Square's Extra Battle used to be a lot more expansive, but a number of those fights were rolled into other things or dropped entirely. And there was an option to fight story bosses again via a menu on the Highwind once upon a time (that was the purpose of the two shinra soldiers in the chocobo pen, the menu was accessed through them). I wanted to renovate Extra Battle and was going to get rid of Omega + Nemesis in favour of having a roster of more weird and unique enemies like it used to be; I could restore the story fight boss menu and put it in Gold Saucer too but I reckon it'd be best if those story bosses were respecced to match a Disc 3 party rather than just as-is (I could add some AI for that). Kalm Traveler I think is going to no longer have fights attached to it.

-) That's not a bad idea with the Special Battle; I think I can manage that.

-) For EXP I've went back to the vanilla arcs and am speccing enemy EXP given against that. The soft-cap thing confuses/frustrates people I think, but I'll need to be careful as it's easy to overlevel when you didn't want to under the vanilla exp arcs.

-) In the final build, the +5 is being removed and is instead being handled by incrementing stats via level-up (like how the base game behaves) with the player choosing specific stats to buff whenever they get access to an upgrade. That helps cut down on having to mash a button and also makes levels feel less empty (while level does increase damage dealt and HP/MP, I think people like to see their primary attributes go up when they level). SP is also being removed and instead an upgrade becomes available when beating certain bosses/story events. I think that was how it was originally, can't remember. It helps make progression a bit more stable. I think additional ranks might make the system a bit tiresome to use though, not sure.

-) The defence change has created a problem with end-game balancing though, as the DR it provides is no longer capped at 50% (for 255) but at 99% or something (as it is effectively 510). Problem with going back to a vanilla formula is that a greater amount of defence is needed to make a tangible difference to enemy attacks as the incoming damage is lower and therefore a 10% or 20% decrease is less impressive (and also requires a lot of Vit/Def).

-) I'm dropping the internal level cap from the character AI for that reason; it means there's no scaling other than from Strength/Magic once you're past that level and once HP/MP caps out the level stat itself effectively becomes useless. It also causes problems with stealing and morphing from high level enemies. Of all the changes, I consider this one to have been the worst from a balancing and scripting perspective. I'm going to try balancing on the default physical formula and then make adjustments to it in the .exe if needed.

-) I've made some tweaks to the innates as removing the Defence x2 from the AI (and the level capper) has provided a lot of free space, as well as a optimisation to Aeris' innate that cut out a lot of bytes. I'll be trialing those with people before I commit to putting them in the final update though because innates can alter gameplay a bit and I don't want to rock the boat too much with drastic alterations. As for scene skips, I've not had thoughts on adding more but if anyone has requests for extra ones then let me know; I want to avoid having skip prompts appearing too frequently though as they can kill the story pacing a bit. I might make the prompts toggleable so that they don't get in the way if a player doesn't want them at all.

-) Bosses in materia caves was an idea I pilfered from the Hardcore mod, the issue with putting fights on other materia though is that it would quickly get tiresome having to fight for every single bit of gear the player comes across.

-) I'm fine with people using whatever, so long as they're having fun with it. W-Item does wreck the balancing of item placement a bit, but...it's not like the game is forcing the player to use it. And even if you don't use it, there's save editors so may as well leave it in there and save them the trouble of opening the save file.

-) I forgot that I put in the barrier thing until I was shown it recently by Uprisen and Caleb, I can't really remember the rationale for doing it either; it was one of those careless throwaway changes. I've kind of put myself in a corner with it as well because a few people are speedrunning the mod now and this change is used for a majority of the fights to make them more feasible at low level. I'll probably give Uprisen and others a prototype so they can see if it's possible to do within a reasonable timeframe without it, and if it is then I can give it the heave-ho.

-) With ultimate weapons retaining their formulas and trying not to cut out anything, this was unavoidable in the end because of how super strong some materia can be (Mime for instance). The ultimate weapons can be reined in a bit, but I think effects like Mime are always going to tip the balance a bit too hard. But that being said, it's kind of fun to get overpowered by the end once you've gathered everything up.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, bud. I've got some good stuff scripted up already in the final build's arrange mode (tested and working) that'll make it an interesting experience.

LeOsTyLe

• View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: 2019-06-12 18:46:02 »
Incredible, any tips on how to beat
The Bomb King & the 6 Golden Tonberries? Bomb kings minions always knock out 2 chars and murder the remaining one with LIMIT BREAK, even though I'm only targeting the King (using Hydro), and the Tonberries.. dont even go there, its too painful!

It raises another question, what would you consider the best order to tackle the latter parts?  I've been mixing between tackling a New Threat, trying to get a special materia, attempting to get Weapon to fight me properly instead of flying away, and checking the weapons smith to see if I've got enough items to forge a weapon yet (none so far).

Bomb King
I just targeted the big guy and ignored the balls. But it was a close fight. I did it immediately after i got the highwind. But according to a video i saw you can make use of the spell "Remove" it removes the balls from the game and than you shouldnt have any problems. Maybe you have to use the remove spell more than one time to get ride of all the balls. At this time i didnt had access to the remove spell because it didnt had enough AP trained.

Golden tomberries
Since i didnt need the Mine Materia i did this fight later, than i already was overpowered. I used
Snack Attack + Barrier + Mega all
Snack Attack + Planet
Snack Attack + Planet
Planet + Quadra Magic
After the first Ultima (Planet) Sneack Attack the tomberries made a conter attack. I survived easy. After the 2nd Snack Attack they didnt Countered. I make one mnauelly Ultima and they were dead. If you want to do them before you are overpowered here a video in arrange mode from. The person who did this writed information in the description of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyNoLVOBeY&list=PL3B-NAl8G2fNqqQt3iSZTUOtBJ2ITDCLe&index=61

Best order for later Parts.

I would first APing in the Crater my Materia which i need. In the Midgar Raid, you get tons of AP from the bosses to max out Materia and even Maxout the new borned Materia, too. Important is Sneack Attack and Planet. Now go Crater put 2x (Sneak Attack + Planet) and Planet + Qudra Magic. MP Turbo you doesnt need since it not increase the snack attack ultima damage although you pay the increased mp for it, mp absorb didnt work as well. With 255 magic stats which you get easy with the materia which gives +10 magic. Now you go left lower part (probably other work too) and farm. Some Monster will give you 5k Base AP with The Tiple Weapon its 15k. Every Monster which is not instant death after your 2x sneak attack ultima will only remain ~1k life, 1-2 meele hits and end. While APing you can collect the Items you need for the Ultimate weapons. For stealing you should use the stealing gloves to increease chances.  When you do not have any preferences your 1st ultimate weapon should be Conformer for Yuffie. It hits so hard. Combinted with many Conter Attack Materia and High Str,  Yuffie is a one man army.

Now its up to you which boss you make first. You have the power now to do every one. The most you should kill now without any special tactic. When you still die, look the video list i posted and the descritption in the videos. Because some bosses sleep all your character in the first round or cast death in the first round etc. so you have to prepear a little bit.

This is my personal doing. But the most fun is to thinking how you can build a powerful team and than go for the materia, ultimate weapons etc. and build it.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, bud. I've got some good stuff scripted up already in the final build's arrange mode (tested and working) that'll make it an interesting experience.
Your welcome. I didnt imagine there are so many changes in the final version. I though there will be only small things. Now i am very excited.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-12 18:55:17 by LeOsTyLe »

Pure_Mind_Games

• View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: 2019-06-12 19:54:21 »
-) I want to scrap Dark Cave and replace it with something else. I had been looking at a 'floor-based' dungeon that goes through lots of fields with punishing encounters and a boss/change of theme every five floors or so; make it more of a battle-based thing like that Ehrgeiz dungeon game or the FF Advance post-story dungeons.

Please no, they're so annoying.

-) I'm not too sure about ultimate weapon crafting; I think people probably find it more of an annoyance as the requirements are going into the Crater and farming for drops/steals/morphs from the enemies inside. What I'd like to try and do is get them put behind something that's a bit more actively engaging for the player. I think that crafting thing would be better suited to a sister ray version where the number of possible weapons + items is increased, meaning that weapon variants/upgrades could be produced.

I don't mind how I get them but if it's annoying they damn well better be OP lol.

-) I forgot that I put in the barrier thing until I was shown it recently by Uprisen and Caleb, I can't really remember the rationale for doing it either; it was one of those careless throwaway changes. I've kind of put myself in a corner with it as well because a few people are speedrunning the mod now and this change is used for a majority of the fights to make them more feasible at low level. I'll probably give Uprisen and others a prototype so they can see if it's possible to do within a reasonable timeframe without it, and if it is then I can give it the heave-ho.

Wait, what's this about Added Effect Barrier?

Reading your post makes me wanna play the earlier versions too to see how it evolved.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-12 20:26:34 by Pure_Mind_Games »

c-dot-gonz

• View Profile
« Reply #8040 on: 2019-06-12 20:35:46 »
Hey folks! I'm completely new to the FFVII modding scene. The remake has my hyped and I'm planning on replaying the game, but I'd like to add a little spice to the mix. I played the original 20 years ago (so long ago that I'm not sure if I actually beat it or if I only know the story bits from discussing it with other fans) so it would be kind of like playing it for the first time. Is New Threat too different from the original for me what is essentially a first playthrough or should I stick to some lighter mods like texture and audio upgrades instead?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: 2019-06-12 21:09:12 »
Please no, they're so annoying.

I don't mind how I get them but if it's annoying they damn well better be OP lol.

Wait, what's this about Added Effect Barrier?

Reading your post makes me wanna play the earlier versions too to see how it evolved.

Ah, maybe you're right. I did own the GBA games and maybe I'm suppressing the memory.

I'll try not to make anything annoying if I can, but if effort is involved then there'll be a payoff unless it's the diorama on floor 65

At some point I decided to stick the statuses given by Barrier Materia onto the materia for added effect (idea was to block MBarrier and Reflect as they weren't always desirable to have, although the downside to MBarrier in halving cure magic has been removed since then). But for some reason I decided to also put Shield on there, so you can use Added Effect + Barrier to put Wall, Reflect, and Shield on yourself; it makes most of the fights fairly easy as there aren't many non-elemental attacks.

As for older versions, I stumbled across some of the earliest versions and a pre-release alpha (was called Skirmish mod and was going to have emerald/ruby difficulty modes like Colly's FF8 Hard-type mod has). 1.1 and 1.2 are lost to the aether though.

If you're interested, they're here:
v1.0.5 - This version was the last iteration of the original release before I pulled the mod down for half a year or so to rebuild it from scratch after feedback. First change in 1.0 I think was Kalderasha's suggestion to boost Potions (he was the first to give feedback, and is also the guy who made the player-character field models that NT currently uses).
Installer: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z4lwxjeeqezsd5c/FF7_New_Threat_Patch_Ver_1.0.5_Steam.exe.zip/file
IRO: http://www.mediafire.com/file/85rypsdhh7vi9je/FF7_NT_IRO_v1.0.5.iro/file

v1.3 - This version I think is the last before the rank-up system was brought in for 1.35, if not that then it's the build before character innates were introduced. There is likely to be a level cap in this one, either Lv.40 or Lv.70 (I think enemies stop giving EXP if the character is over a certain level, and that threshold rises as you advance; not sure).

Installer: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b2cj53p7d5h00bn/FF7_NT_Mod_v1.3_-_17th_Feb_2015.exe.zip/file

Alpha Build (aka 'Skirmish Mod' - No idea what this one has or what condition it'll be in. I'd actually forgot the mod was originally called this.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/er61xr25dcw2udv/FF7_New_Threat_Patch_Alpha2.zip/file

Hey folks! I'm completely new to the FFVII modding scene. The remake has my hyped and I'm planning on replaying the game, but I'd like to add a little spice to the mix. I played the original 20 years ago (so long ago that I'm not sure if I actually beat it or if I only know the story bits from discussing it with other fans) so it would be kind of like playing it for the first time. Is New Threat too different from the original for me what is essentially a first playthrough or should I stick to some lighter mods like texture and audio upgrades instead?

That's a tricky one to answer because it depends on what you're looking for. I tried to enhance the base game where I could with script adjustments and convenience features. The combat is a bit more involved (midcore) so this'll depend on what you're willing to put into it, but there's a vanilla version I made recently that uses the NT scripts but with vanilla enemies + kernel. A few people have used NT as their 'first run' or returning run after a long time away from the game and they seemed to enjoy it.

Reunion would also be a good choice for a vanilla experience as it doesn't adjust the battles (not yet, as far as I know) and focuses instead on retranslating the script, bug fixes, etc. You can adjust the level of translation (or not have it at all) using its installer.

As for visual mods and the like, you'll want to use 7th Heaven mod loader but be warned now; the installation process has a lot of pitfalls and can cause headaches. But it's also currently the best way to mix mods together. You can also use direct folders to add loose files that will override the default ones but I can't remember if that is available with Steam by default, may need the game converter that 7th Heaven also relies on.

Some info on the game converter; in order to get the Steam version compatible with 7th Heaven we use a tool called the game converter which recreates a 1998 FF7 PC installation using the steam files as a base. This separate install of the game is then used to apply mods to, etc. It behaves more or less the same as the steam game except it has a more up-to-date version of Aali's Graphics Driver (which the Steam version also runs on). This mod (and I think Reunion) can install to the Steam version and 1998 version if not using 7th heaven, or can be run through 7th heaven if you go that route.

For models, Kaldarasha's Chaos7 and Nino's models (I think both can be found on Nexus, Kald's stuff is there and also on this forum) are ones I quite like as the former uses shaded polygons in the same style as the game (visual consistency) and the latter uses a super-cool art-style based on the promotional character art/concept art. There are others as well (hundreds of them), and most of them use textures for the models like Nino does. Uprisen also did a mod that retextures the battle backgrounds which is worth a look; his mod is also on Nexus.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-12 21:13:09 by Sega Chief »

Pure_Mind_Games

• View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: 2019-06-12 22:35:41 »
Nice, I'll check them out once I finish 1.5.

Thanks.

Oh, would it be possible to show Inate abilities somewhere in the menu? as I keep forgetting them.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-13 01:30:36 by Pure_Mind_Games »

dumbstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: 2019-06-13 01:05:17 »
Hi i read elsewhere about  "mod documentation (zip file). It contains a text file showing the stuff locations and an Excel file showing what you can steal, morph and loot and on which enemies."
and I can't seem to find this could anyone point me in the right direction?

Pure_Mind_Games

• View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: 2019-06-13 01:17:33 »
Hi i read elsewhere about  "mod documentation (zip file). It contains a text file showing the stuff locations and an Excel file showing what you can steal, morph and loot and on which enemies."

I wouldn't worry about it, it's out of date right now anyway.

c-dot-gonz

• View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: 2019-06-13 01:41:44 »

That's a tricky one to answer because it depends on what you're looking for. I tried to enhance the base game where I could with script adjustments and convenience features. The combat is a bit more involved (midcore) so this'll depend on what you're willing to put into it, but there's a vanilla version I made recently that uses the NT scripts but with vanilla enemies + kernel. A few people have used NT as their 'first run' or returning run after a long time away from the game and they seemed to enjoy it.

Reunion would also be a good choice for a vanilla experience as it doesn't adjust the battles (not yet, as far as I know) and focuses instead on retranslating the script, bug fixes, etc. You can adjust the level of translation (or not have it at all) using its installer.

As for visual mods and the like, you'll want to use 7th Heaven mod loader but be warned now; the installation process has a lot of pitfalls and can cause headaches. But it's also currently the best way to mix mods together. You can also use direct folders to add loose files that will override the default ones but I can't remember if that is available with Steam by default, may need the game converter that 7th Heaven also relies on.

Some info on the game converter; in order to get the Steam version compatible with 7th Heaven we use a tool called the game converter which recreates a 1998 FF7 PC installation using the steam files as a base. This separate install of the game is then used to apply mods to, etc. It behaves more or less the same as the steam game except it has a more up-to-date version of Aali's Graphics Driver (which the Steam version also runs on). This mod (and I think Reunion) can install to the Steam version and 1998 version if not using 7th heaven, or can be run through 7th heaven if you go that route.

For models, Kaldarasha's Chaos7 and Nino's models (I think both can be found on Nexus, Kald's stuff is there and also on this forum) are ones I quite like as the former uses shaded polygons in the same style as the game (visual consistency) and the latter uses a super-cool art-style based on the promotional character art/concept art. There are others as well (hundreds of them), and most of them use textures for the models like Nino does. Uprisen also did a mod that retextures the battle backgrounds which is worth a look; his mod is also on Nexus.

Thanks for the detailed comparison! I'll continue thinking about my options. I don't often replay games due to time constraints, so if I'm going to mod FFVII it's pretty much now or never. Especially with the remake releasing next year.

Jonesin4Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: 2019-06-13 03:14:54 »

There's 3 different programs I use to see the items and other things in New Threat that people here recommended to me,   ProudClod,   Black Chocobo and WallMarket,   let's you see all the current up to date steals and morphs and lets you view all items,  armors and weapons,   and view character stats and how many sources you've used.

You need to point the programs at the right IRO's kernal.bin and scene.bin,   I'm sure someone here can provide more help if you can't figure it out :)

Fleaswallow

• View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: 2019-06-13 12:36:31 »
Hi, I have a problem.
The innate abilitys do not work for me, i reinstalled the game several times and tried several things and i cannot solve it (it doesn't solve itself by then).

I use the Square version of the game so when i use the direct mod patcher on a freshly installed version ff7.exe opens up Steam (annoying).
So i decided to use 7th Heaven and even though the NewThreatMod is the only mod i run, the game runs smoothly and all enemys are what they should be like, but the abilitys do not work.
Playing the arranged mode made me realise that something is wrong, when Tifa got KO's in one hit and never reached 1HP like she should. (Watched YoutubeVideos of this mod before)
I started  a new game several times and Cloud never gets his Limit Boost (No notification and damage is the same)

And now after de-installing and re-installing about 5 times (should be that many now) i don't know what else to do. Also i get a prompt after reinstalling when i start the game "Postprocessing initialization failed" but everything else still works as intended.

I tried it again and i got an error.  I am not sure if this has been there before.
System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
   bei Iros._7th.Workshop.fLibrary.CheckAllowedActivate(Guid modID) in C:\Users\TurBoss\Projetcs\7h\7thWorkshop\fLibrary.cs:Zeile 564.
   bei Iros._7th.Workshop.fLibrary.DoActivate(Guid modID) in C:\Users\TurBoss\Projetcs\7h\7thWorkshop\fLibrary.cs:Zeile 624.
   bei Iros._7th.Workshop.fLibrary.ToggleActivateMod(Guid modID) in C:\Users\TurBoss\Projetcs\7h\7thWorkshop\fLibrary.cs:Zeile 864.
   bei Iros._7th.Workshop.fLibrary.DoModBarAction(pMod pm, ModBarAction a) in C:\Users\TurBoss\Projetcs\7h\7thWorkshop\fLibrary.cs:Zeile 920.
   bei Iros._7th.Workshop.pMod.bActivate_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\TurBoss\Projetcs\7h\7thWorkshop\pMod.cs:Zeile 200.
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
« Last Edit: 2019-06-13 14:03:34 by Fleaswallow »

Tentails

• View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: 2019-06-13 13:47:34 »
Hello, I've been loving the mod and have been working on getting all of the ultimate weapons but ran into a problem when not able to find where some of the components are, (like Spirit lance and Spring Gun Clip). I checked the where is the thing text document to see and saw that they have to be stolen from certain enemies (Crater dragon, and King Behemoth in this case). So I tried but couldn't manage to steal from them no matter how many times I try despite being level 99. Is it just unlucky or am I doing something wrong.

Ps, Do you just redownload the patch when it updates or is there an easier way?

Idubaren

• View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: 2019-06-13 15:28:04 »
the info on that txt is heavily outdated scroll through a couple pages backwards from this one and you'll find that Sega Chief put up a link to a slightly updated where is the thing txt