Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4840249 times)

MoCheese

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #5825 on: 2017-08-04 01:53:57 »
Oh I remember what I forgot to mention. In regards to Barbie, I think she's fine personally, she's a hell of a tough fight and it was needed after the previous one in my opinion. Good way to leave Midgar. If you edit her, I'd request not too much changed.

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: 2017-08-04 02:04:04 »
You know, I'm probably the only person disapointed by the '1 gil' bribe. It's pretentious.

Silly is one thing, but pretentious is another.

Here is a Shinra grunt, accepting bribes, bribes he will be imprisoned for decades for if his superiors ever found out about them, taking them from people he doesn't even know (most of whom are enemies of the state), and at its most expensive, that bribe might buy a single potion, before then being lowered to such a point that it doesn't even cover that?

What. The. Hell.

It makes no sense internally from a setting/story/character standpoint, and gameplay-wise it's a 'pretentious' annoyance rather than one that makes the player actually have to account for their finances or whether they'll have to fight some annoying battle or anything else like that.

That's why I'm disappointed at it. :sighs:

selius

• View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: 2017-08-04 03:14:47 »
You know, I'm probably the only person disapointed by the '1 gil' bribe.

probably.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: 2017-08-04 03:38:22 »
@Robo Jesus
Spoiler: show
 Pretentious? 1 gil? That word doesn't mean what you think it means. Well, let's leave it at that for this thread. Further conversation on the ins and outs of an additional gameplay input, the actual pay grade of rank and file grunts, and why a gil is abstract and probably not the lowest denomination of currency in a setting (fictional or not) can be left to private messages. That is, unless you actually are trying to request that Sega Chief change it to a non-negligible sum.

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: 2017-08-04 03:56:35 »
@Robo Jesus
 Pretentious? 1 gil? That word doesn't mean what you think it means. Well, let's leave it at that for this thread. Further conversation on the ins and outs of an additional gameplay input, the actual pay grade of rank and file grunts, and why a gil is abstract and probably not the lowest denomination of currency in a setting (fictional or not) can be left to private messages. That is, unless you actually are trying to request that Sega Chief change it to a non-negligible sum.

I used the word in its intended meaning. Especially when the subject being talked about is 'bribes'. In those contexts, the word's meaning is used quite correctly, and exactly as intended.

I'm not insulting Sega there. I'm pointing out what it wrong with that scene. Calling the '1gil passing fee' a 'bribe' is what makes the entire interaction and use of the word 'bribe' there pretentious.

It does not fit from a setting, character, or financial standpoint, and that's before bringing up the subject that the ones being allowed to 'pass' for a '1gil bribe' are 'enemies of the state', which can easily turn what the guard there into a gauranteed death sentence from the Shinra Military were they to ever learn that one of their gaurds was letting enemies of the state in through monitored areas for '1 gil'.

The fact that it's '1 gil' makes it look like that gaurd is purposely aiding and abetting enemies of the state. Ergo, if his surperiors were to ever find out, that shinra grunt would be facing military execution.

So it can't honestly be called a bribe, the explanations for a '1 gil bribe' do not work from a character/setting/financial/story standpoint, and it creates no problems or issues for the characters to have to deal with in regards to it.

Making the bribe a thousand or more gil would make sense and at least make them have to consider the financial implications and aspects of walking in and out of Junon willy-nilly. Making the players have to fight against an enemy would work and make sense, and at least cause them a justified annoyance and problem they have to deal with as well.

But a 1 gil bribe?

That's insulting. It's not even 'silly' or 'funny', and it gets worse the more you look into the situation with that there.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-04 04:00:08 by Robo Jesus »

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: 2017-08-04 03:57:38 »
EDIT; ...the hell?

How the hell did a second post happen?

trance7

• View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: 2017-08-04 04:13:17 »
So that Goblin in Gongaga just used a move that ejected my party, causing the game to crash.

"An unknown exception has occured."

selius

• View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: 2017-08-04 04:17:33 »
So that Goblin in Gongaga just used a move that ejected my party, causing the game to crash.

if you poison him to death he will never use it. you should morph that goblin if you are using tifa. it gives you her work glove which is super duper op for the stage of the game you get it

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: 2017-08-04 04:22:48 »

if you poison him to death he will never use it. you should morph that goblin if you are using tifa. it gives you her work glove which is super duper op for the stage of the game you get it
"Sleep" was also very effective and useful in 1.4. Try it here as well, as it should be useful for helping keep that damn gobbo from doing that to you trance7.

ManInBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: 2017-08-04 05:08:25 »
So...I just got the Key to Sector 5, walked onto the playground where Aerith talks about Zach, and...there's a Counter Attack materia.

I spent all of Disc 2 on 1.4 trying to find a Counter Attack materia until I eventually realized I had to spend two nights Chocobo racing/breeding to get one (then managed to get 2 at the exact same time).

Please tell me this materia wasn't here the whole time, trolling me, and I just missed it. I will feel much better if this was just added.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #5835 on: 2017-08-04 06:25:47 »
@ManInBlack
I believe that was added in 1.5. I recall it being a different materia in previous versions. Nevertheless, having access to Counter Attack mid way through the Midgar segment is pretty cool.

ulurujamman

• View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: 2017-08-04 06:42:00 »
Rolled through most of Midgar on arrange, some cool stuff. Especially liked the twists on each boss battle. Not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but I noticed that when fighting the thousand gunner + friends in the elevator, the battle background was different (I think it was Midgar Disc 3). Guessing this could just be a factor of space. Otherwise it seems to be working very smoothly. Stuck on Barbicante for the time being, which I think is massively harder than anything fought up to that point.

I used the word in its intended meaning. Especially when the subject being talked about is 'bribes'. In those contexts, the word's meaning is used quite correctly, and exactly as intended.

Sorry, pal, you're not right about this one.

ManInBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: 2017-08-04 07:04:52 »
I would return there on Disc 3, and see if it works. I think I forgot to adjust the triggers so that going to the bottom of north crater was no longer required for a lot of the Lv.4 Limit stuff.
I have now tried going to the Leviathan Cave with all three party leaders (and Yuffie, of course) and nothing has triggered.

By the way, the only encounter that I know worked before getting to the bottom of the cave was Vincent's; I did that, and tried to trigger the Zach flashback. Zach made me wait until I got to the bottom. After that I went straight back to the Crater so I don't know if any others worked.

Also, thanks for all the great work on this mod! It was fun to start with and I'm liking the changes in 1.5. I did notice that damage items don't give an indication of which is stronger any more - was that intentional? Sometimes when my mage needs to do physical damage or a strong DPS needs to un-Confuse somebody I use the items and I noticed they no longer say level 1, 2, etc.

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: 2017-08-04 07:12:52 »
Does anyone remember what you get for 120+ rating on the boat ceremony sendoff in junon ?

Just wondering if I missed something special.

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: 2017-08-04 07:16:27 »
so i fought powersoul keeper without the trine patch on. tifa rendered it a joke as is becoming usual.

am i just too overleveled at this point? what level were people fighting this at?

Cloud 39
Tifa 41
Aeris 38

I was about the same even higher. Def overleveld :D
Thinking of doing a challenge run on arrange some point (doing normal now). Game got so easy after the rank ups.

aquecoucou

• View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: 2017-08-04 09:53:12 »
Did everyone got 2 rank ups for Cait Sith as soon as he joins ? I'm asking cause I had two, while Cloud barely had his second and all other members only had one and were only halfway to the second. I didn't overfarm nor rush, I think I had an average number of fights but I still prefer to ask.

Also during Dyne fight for some reasons at a point Barret attacked twice in a row.
-> Barret ATB full
-> Select Attack command
-> Before Barret attacks, Dyne use Psych up
-> Barret fires twice

It seems like Psych up triggered a counterattack while it doesn't deal damage.

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: 2017-08-04 10:11:47 »
Did everyone got 2 rank ups for Cait Sith as soon as he joins ? I'm asking cause I had two, while Cloud barely had his second and all other members only had one and were only halfway to the second. I didn't overfarm nor rush, I think I had an average number of fights but I still prefer to ask.

Also during Dyne fight for some reasons at a point Barret attacked twice in a row.
-> Barret ATB full
-> Select Attack command
-> Barret fires twice

I'd say you are quite "rushed" compared to some :D
I had the same thing happen, think its normal.

I had 7/8 when Cid joined on cloud, needless to say Cid isn't very powerful right now with his 3 ranks :D

VHobel

• View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: 2017-08-04 13:39:39 »
I think Godo and Staniv broke somehow.

Staniv only opened with blinding himself and then attacking once. Near death he casts Berserk on himself and Yuffie and starts attacking with auto attacks with high damage like he should. Too bad he did it so late that he only attacked once before dying.

Godo doesn't attack after switching faces. If you are lucky he keeps switching them without ever attacking. In my fight against him he used only 6 attacks because he kept switching faces without doing anything. Serpent Sword -> HP Drain -> MP Drain -> Aqualung -> Slow -> Lagomorph -> dying to auto attack spam. At times I was able to attack ~16 times before he finally decided to attack, thanks to Haste and Slow.

Edit:
The Powersoul Keeper didn't drop the Powersoul and didn't cast Trine. He was armored and used laserbeams to attack and the background wasn't a cave. Did I fight the correct Powersoul Keeper?
« Last Edit: 2017-08-04 14:03:51 by VHobel »

FFman

• View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: 2017-08-04 14:21:46 »
Materia caves bosses were fun, same with the battles at the Battle round, specially the last boss of the special round. Good job !
Dark cave is cool but for some reason the battle against the soldier in the church does not happen, they disapear after 2 seconds and I can't move further. Maybe it's link to the fact that Aeris vanished from my game after the north crater.

Edit:
The Powersoul Keeper didn't drop the Powersoul and didn't cast Trine. He was armored and used laserbeams to attack and the background wasn't a cave. Did I fight the correct Powersoul Keeper?

In Arrange, you fight Armourer Keeper instead in Mt Nibel.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: 2017-08-04 14:53:35 »
@Robo
Not to worry, I'll change the bribe fee to something less pretentious.

I'll remove the attack and replace it with something else.

So...I just got the Key to Sector 5, walked onto the playground where Aerith talks about Zach, and...there's a Counter Attack materia.

I spent all of Disc 2 on 1.4 trying to find a Counter Attack materia until I eventually realized I had to spend two nights Chocobo racing/breeding to get one (then managed to get 2 at the exact same time).

Please tell me this materia wasn't here the whole time, trolling me, and I just missed it. I will feel much better if this was just added.

It was there the entire time.

It spawns there on Disc 2/3 only.

Rolled through most of Midgar on arrange, some cool stuff. Especially liked the twists on each boss battle. Not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but I noticed that when fighting the thousand gunner + friends in the elevator, the battle background was different (I think it was Midgar Disc 3). Guessing this could just be a factor of space. Otherwise it seems to be working very smoothly. Stuck on Barbicante for the time being, which I think is massively harder than anything fought up to that point.

I changed the battle background, dunno if it's in the current patch or not.

I'm going to do adjustments for Barbariccia, I don't think boss power/HP takes the drain HP + confuse into account so the battle is going on much longer than intended.

Does anyone remember what you get for 120+ rating on the boat ceremony sendoff in junon ?

Just wondering if I missed something special.

Rune Armlet I think; it blocks Silence and has four unlinked 2x Growth slots on it.

I was about the same even higher. Def overleveld :D
Thinking of doing a challenge run on arrange some point (doing normal now). Game got so easy after the rank ups.

Something may or may not happen if you beat the game without using Rank UP a single time (you can visit the Rank screen safely, just don't 'make a deal').

-> Barret ATB full
-> Select Attack command
-> Barret fires twice

I set Dyne's speed so that Barret could get 2 turns (usually) for each of Dyne's turns; can't remember if this depended on Haste/Slow or not. Psyche Up should only be used as a counter to Poison, and only used once at that. Was he spamming it?

As for Ranks, later characters join with some ranks already available.

I'd say you are quite "rushed" compared to some :D
I had the same thing happen, think its normal.

I had 7/8 when Cid joined on cloud, needless to say Cid isn't very powerful right now with his 3 ranks :D

7/8 by Rocket Town? That's madness.

I think Godo and Staniv broke somehow.

Staniv only opened with blinding himself and then attacking once. Near death he casts Berserk on himself and Yuffie and starts attacking with auto attacks with high damage like he should. Too bad he did it so late that he only attacked once before dying.

Godo doesn't attack after switching faces. If you are lucky he keeps switching them without ever attacking. In my fight against him he used only 6 attacks because he kept switching faces without doing anything. Serpent Sword -> HP Drain -> MP Drain -> Aqualung -> Slow -> Lagomorph -> dying to auto attack spam. At times I was able to attack ~16 times before he finally decided to attack, thanks to Haste and Slow.

Edit:

That's disappointing about Godo; I redid his AI and thought I had it all working. I'll check it again and see if I can spot the weakness in it. Staniv I'm not sure about, I don't think his changed too much. I'll change the background of Armour Keeper as well, it's supposed to be the cave (was probably the sewer, as it used to be a Dark Cave boss).

Materia caves bosses were fun, same with the battles at the Battle round, specially the last boss of the special round. Good job !
Dark cave is cool but for some reason the battle against the soldier in the church does not happen, they disapear after 2 seconds and I can't move further. Maybe it's link to the fact that Aeris vanished from my game after the north crater.

In Arrange, you fight Armourer Keeper instead in Mt Nibel.

Yeah, the Church segment in DK isn't supposed to happen at all if Aeris isn't around. They vanish after two seconds due to the dodgy way that field screen was set up originally; the group that handles placement etc. isn't being done on initiation like it usually is with other fields so you can see them being 'shuffled' into their correct locations as it runs through conditionals for which event set-up to use. You can see it in the original game when returning with the Sector Gate key, the two kids will be quickly relocated from their default locations to their correct positions.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-04 14:55:15 by Sega Chief »

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: 2017-08-04 15:10:05 »
Oh snaps, then about Counter Attack:
 May want to check on the Counter Attack materia only being available in Disc 2/3 only. I got it just after the plate fell, in the park. What was supposed to be there, anyway? I know in the vanilla game it's Sense, and in NT 1.3 and 1.4 it used to be...

aquecoucou

• View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: 2017-08-04 15:13:14 »

I set Dyne's speed so that Barret could get 2 turns (usually) for each of Dyne's turns; can't remember if this depended on Haste/Slow or not. Psyche Up should only be used as a counter to Poison, and only used once at that. Was he spamming it?

No it didn't. What I meant is Barret attacked twice in a row using only 1 ATB. Like I said, I selected the "Attack" command at the same time Dyne was using Psyche Up to clear the poison I inflicted, and as soon as the animation ended, Barret attacked twice. Only the second hit depleted his ATB. So I guess somehow Barret counter attacked the Psyche Up, but Physche Up doesn't deal damage so Barret shouldn't counter attack.

Also otherwise (in Arrange) the fight is balanced. The long animations of Dyne are quite frustating because it waste the Barrier timer but it's part of the balance so that's fine.

May want to check on the Counter Attack materia only being available in Disc 2/3 only. I got it just after the plate fell, in the park. What was supposed to be there, anyway? I know in the vanilla game it's Sense, and in NT 1.3 and 1.4 it used to be...

Yup same, got it after the plate fall, in the park.

ulurujamman

• View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: 2017-08-04 16:25:22 »

I'm going to do adjustments for Barbariccia, I don't think boss power/HP takes the drain HP + confuse into account so the battle is going on much longer than intended.

Yeah, it's not just the confu/drain, but also slow, and his 'yellow' element (I'm guessing wind??), none of which can be protected against with the materia/equipment that you have up to that point in the game. Added to which you have to redo the bike chase game every time you die, so it's more frustrating than maybe it ought to be.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: 2017-08-04 16:34:00 »

Yeah it's supposed to be there in Disc 1; it replaces the Sense Materia that was originally there.

No it didn't. What I meant is Barret attacked twice in a row using only 1 ATB. Like I said, I selected the "Attack" command at the same time Dyne was using Psyche Up to clear the poison I inflicted, and as soon as the animation ended, Barret attacked twice. Only the second hit depleted his ATB. So I guess somehow Barret counter attacked the Psyche Up, but Physche Up doesn't deal damage so Barret shouldn't counter attack.

Also otherwise (in Arrange) the fight is balanced. The long animations of Dyne are quite frustating because it waste the Barrier timer but it's part of the balance so that's fine.

Yup same, got it after the plate fall, in the park.

Ah, I see; that is odd.

Yeah, it's not just the confu/drain, but also slow, and his 'yellow' element (I'm guessing wind??), none of which can be protected against with the materia/equipment that you have up to that point in the game. Added to which you have to redo the bike chase game every time you die, so it's more frustrating than maybe it ought to be.

It was also 15 levels higher than intended; it had the Arrange AI in its pre-battle that all enemies have which is redundant because the enemy only appears in Arrange.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-04 16:35:35 by Sega Chief »

ulurujamman

• View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: 2017-08-04 19:14:37 »
Beat Barbariccia, finally, by abusing Tranquilizers. Did also occur to me that if I'd levelled up Red XIII a little then I'd have had Lunatic High to counter the slow, so maybe it's not THAT imbalanced.

Having reached Mythril Caves, though, I'm finding that Rank Up is disabled for me as well. ('Ain't no rank up in this mode, bub'). Think I recall you saying a few pages back that this is unintentional?