Author Topic: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*  (Read 193108 times)

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
Re: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*
« Reply #175 on: 2009-09-19 20:21:20 »
@ Kudistos Megistos:

Considering the first post screenshots the worldmap itself (as pyrozen posted) is already changed, isn't it?

I think your right, it has been updated, the screenshot in the first post suggests that its done

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2009-09-19 20:43:15 »
The worldmap "map" will be redone, i just threw that one in there to see if it would work.  I will create an original map(or someone else may beat me to it) since the one i'm using now doesn't line up perfectly, and it's overly wordy for my tastes.

And halkun, are you asking for all of the worldmap textures?  I'm still not totally understanding what you need, because there are 100+ textures that makeup the world map.  Each different kind of terrain is made up of 4-5 different textures(plain, transistions, shadowed, etc) and they don't really seem coherent outside of them game(until you decipher their positions in-game anyways)  Just let me know what you need and i will happily provide it for you.

Qudeid

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2009-09-19 20:49:18 »
I'm quessing, but I think, he just wants to know how they look like, how they are built up. With that in mind, it doesn't matter if it is a grass texture or a sand texture. They should look similar (I guess).

Concerning the WorldMap Map... Yes, that bothered me too, that every thing had its name. I mean, for the main places, such as Nibel, North Corel, you could have the names in there, but isn't really necessary, in my book.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-19 20:53:39 by Qudeid »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2009-09-19 23:41:09 »
here's a few early shots of the beaches.  I've revised the texture lik 20x already, but all the edges refuse to line up no matter what i do.  There's a bit of tearing, but i think it's good enough to move onto the next texture at this point.  I've been saving my workprint version of textures, so i can always go back and adjust the layer masks to try something else.  Saves alot of time so i don't have to recreate the whole texture everytime i don't like something.

lee

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2009-09-20 00:57:51 »
Wow that actually looks amazing i thought you said it was gonna be difficult to do the beach's  :-P Didn't take you too long to come up with something great good work man.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2009-09-20 02:19:52 »
To quote myself when i saw those beaches "Oh god jesus those are beautiful" sorry nerd moment :P

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2009-09-20 03:57:00 »
dont make this an absolute i'm on a computer with a really bad screen, and the images seem dark, but i'd say add a slight bit of gaussian blur between the sand n the grass.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2009-09-20 06:55:02 »
dont make this an absolute i'm on a computer with a really bad screen, and the images seem dark, but i'd say add a slight bit of gaussian blur between the sand n the grass.

i agree, then blends could be better.  I already have a 25.00 gaussian blend(in GiMP, not PS) on the alpha mask that separates the two.  Anything more and the mis-matching becomes very apparent between texture slices.  I'm working on making it better, but the absolute randomness of worldmap texture placement is a helluva mountain to climb.  And my OS is XP/w SP3.

lee

Qudeid

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2009-09-20 07:19:23 »
Looks really nice.
And, it would be stupid to not keep your work in pds (or what ever format GIMP uses) :)

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2009-09-21 06:39:49 »
Now that's a beach surf for ya!!!!  :evil:

Evan Lee

• "I don't kill I eliminate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2009-09-23 11:24:35 »
how did you replace the world map?
can you tell me how to replace so that i can easily find the hidden islands

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2009-09-29 22:25:26 »
i was screwing around trying to upsize the default mountain textures and i discovered this oddity....

its not noticable on the dafult since its so fugly, but a simple gaussien blur brougth it right out.  Did someone have to sell there soul to make one of the greatest RPGs ever... me thinks so :)

Also, upsizing the world textures is a completely no-go.  You can easily see the difference between those i created from scratch and the upsized mountains.  Guess i'm gonna have to learn how to make mountain textures now..... sheesh...

no other real updates, the beaches are as good looking as i can get them, the texture application is just such a nightmare nothing ever lines up perfectly.  It's still a major improvment over the original, and i don't think you guys will walk on the beach with as much scrutiny as i do.

I might release an Alpha sometime soon so other can get a leg up on how exactly you replace world textures as well.  I start college this week so much of my time will go towards studies instead of 10 year old game :P
lee
« Last Edit: 2009-09-29 22:27:44 by pyrozen »

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2009-09-29 22:39:54 »
well there was the face on the moon in ffiv, and the one underwater in ffv, so i guess it only took us a good bit longer to find ffvii's rock face  8-).

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2009-09-30 04:04:59 »
Oh man a release soon that would be awesome

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2009-09-30 22:30:51 »

preliminary shot of Cosmos canyon.  looks kinda wierd because everything turns red in that area. 3 more texture to go and all the canyon textures will be finished.

lee

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #190 on: 2009-09-30 22:36:03 »

preliminary shot of Cosmos canyon.  looks kinda wierd because everything turns red in that area. 3 more texture to go and all the canyon textures will be finished.

lee
Nice. Absolutely nice.  :-)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2009-10-01 00:59:47 »
looks awesome Pyrozen :-D

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2009-10-01 04:28:54 »
pyro, i'd scale up the texture, there are too many horizontal crags, also make it more red like the original, these are very brown.

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2009-10-01 13:29:38 »
Wow man looking great i cant believe how good you made the world look man

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2009-10-01 21:08:11 »
I've been playing with some upscaling filters on the world map's map... tell me what you guys think of this... I've no clue how it'd actually look in-game, but it's got a parchment-paper/fabric type of look to it that's preferable to the pixelated map that currently shows up in my opinion...

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2009-10-01 21:17:15 »
i think it looks pretty good.  I think it would look more convincing better if you changed the color to a more worn/yellowed paper map, rather than the full color version that you have now though.  However, some people may not like you to stray to far from the original design, but i say go for it.

Upscaling only goes so far though, since i can tell you just resized it and ran it through a texturizing filter.  The easiest way to reproduce the map in an original image would be with vector graphics.  I don't know how to use them "yet" but i'm working on the world textures now and i simply don't have time to learn something else(on top of snow, water, mountains, rivers, etc...)

lee

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 2009-10-01 21:42:48 »
I'll do a vector trace in the next couple days, no worries.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2009-10-02 00:27:25 »
I'll do a vector trace in the next couple days, no worries.
awesome, i know your good at working with them already so I'm exctited to see what you come up with.

And to feed the folks hungry to see whats going on so far....
Here's an ALPHA release!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/njuzozmmhwk/WMRP.zip
I'm offering zero support, no install question or problems will be answered(and promptly ignored).  If you don't know how to manually install TEX files, don't bother trying to use this.  This is strictly for the folks who are curious to see what's gone on so far in-game, this IS NOT user friendly.  Many areas are half-finished or not even started on yet, so don't even bother telling me or asking me about it.
think of it as a trailer to a full-feature mod.

Lee

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2009-10-02 10:11:07 »
WOW...WOW This is totally awesome it looks even better when you play then the pics that you posted. Excellent job man good stuff mostly every thing is complete. I don't know if you haven't noticed but some of the forest ain't complete. Didn't know if you know that and you was gonna finish up later just thought i let you know. But again wow great job  :-D

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2009-10-02 17:30:38 »
yeah, the tropical forests aren't finsihed, and the northern continent hasn't even been touched yet.  I've still got alot of work to do, the alpha doesn't even really qualify as a releases in my mind.  It was just a work-in-progress release for people who wanted to see it in action.  Still lots to do, and many half-finished things to finalize.

lee

edit* one scary thing i've noticed, the alpha is already 16.6MB.  I sudder to think what the filesize will be for the final release.  Probably upwards of 50MB.  Not much in todays world of fast internet, but still...
« Last Edit: 2009-10-02 17:32:33 by pyrozen »