Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3008261 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03d)
« Reply #2025 on: 2015-10-13 00:48:15 »
The Retranslation is being finalized in stages, in story order, starting as soon as quequotion (and Hian, if he can) begins work.  I'll talk over any changes with Luksy (and  sometimes Covarr), sort out any remaining issues (including box positions), and then record that portion to Youtube.  Each part I put on Youtube will be at least 1 hour long.  I will also update Green_Goblin at the same time.

If there are any other people out there that want to do a Japanese proof check, now is the last chance.  Because after this is done, this will be completely finalized forever.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-13 00:50:04 by DLPB »

spy__dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: 2015-10-13 13:31:53 »
Hi DLPB, I've seen a mistake of context in the field loslake1, when Cloud try to use the stairs and he is interrupted by Cait Sith.
The mistake is when you have Cait Sith in your party. Cloud doesn't answer throught PHS or telephone, so "hello?" is not correct in that context, I am not English speaker, but I understand that "hello?" is when you answer with a telephone. Well that "hello?" is used when Cait Sith is in your party or not.

English:
---TEXT009---
{CAIT SITH}
“H-Hey!”
---TEXT010---
{CLOUD}
“Hello?”

In japanese:

{CAIT SITH}
「ちょ、ちょっと!」
------------------------------
{CLOUD}
「なんだ?」

Literal translation:
{CAIT SITH}
Hey! Wait a minute!

{CLOUD}
What?

Regards

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: 2015-10-13 13:58:38 »
Fixed.

It's because the game shares the same Cloud response and shouldn't do.  Other areas like this don't.  So this has had to become "What's up?" to work with both phone and person (assuming What's up works in America :P).    Well spotted.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-13 14:26:52 by DLPB »

spy__dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: 2015-10-13 17:28:37 »
Other things:

In field blin70_4

Rufus says this:

Rufus
“…That's how it is,Reeve.
  Your job is to regulate
  the reactor's output.”

One reactor? In the video shows all reactors working besides in Japanese says "mako reactors".

In the field cannon2, Vincent answers to Hojo this:

{VINCENT}
“Hojo…
  Rest in peace.”

Japanese:
{VINCENT}
「宝条……
 永遠に眠れ……」

Literally translated:
Hojo...
Sleep for eternity...

Rest in peace sounds for me in a funeral, but Vincent hates Hojo and besides in the previous sentences speaks about who should sleep there.

And this text I don't understand the last sentence:
Hojo
“I have been… urgh…
  overwhelmed by my
  drive as a scientist.”
{NEW PAGE}
“Just as I was back then.”

In japanese says something like:
I lost the last time.

Regards.

« Last Edit: 2015-10-13 17:35:45 by spy__dragon »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: 2015-10-13 19:47:43 »
The "lost the last time" is too literal and definitely needed amending.  The literal does not work and misses the intended meaning. We discussed this at length at the time.   Remember that localizing is not an exercise in being literal.  It may still need another look regardless.

----------------------

Rufus
“…That's how it is,Reeve.
  Your job is to regulate
  the reactor's output.”

That should be reactors' and is now corrected. Thanks :)  it may work better as "to regulate the output of the reactors"
-----------------------------

The other would need input from good Japanese speaker. It's impossible to tell from literal what it is meant to sound like.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-14 03:14:52 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: 2015-10-14 23:13:19 »
R03e is ready but I am waiting to hear back from Lusky regarding a small update to ts.  After that I'll upload it.  Reunion R04 is basically also ready, pending the update.  Of course, the retranslation gets finalized Jan 01 2006 also.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: 2015-10-15 03:05:30 »
the retranslation gets finalized Jan 01 2006 also.

I have reason to think your date is incorrect.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: 2015-10-15 11:23:22 »
Well, think again.  I invented a time machine to save myself having to go through all this.   :evil:

Of course, I meant 2016.

IlDucci

• View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: 2015-10-15 17:11:59 »
DLPB you got my last message?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: 2015-10-15 17:22:21 »
I did :)

SonofKalas

• View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: 2015-10-16 06:58:44 »
2 questions
Any Idea when the new version will be ready to work on steam ?
and has any of the retranslation component changed between ro3b and ro3d 
« Last Edit: 2015-10-16 07:06:43 by SonofKalas »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: 2015-10-16 07:13:45 »
Retranslation changes are always ongoing until Jan 2016, but the changes are relatively minor now. The biggest change before Jan 2016 will be boxes placed properly and exclamation marks toned down (they're a remnant from the Japanese game that completely overuses them - so ironically, I am "inaccurately" representing the lines by omitting so many).

The Steam version will be here as soon as Luksy gets back to me.  I have no idea when that is.

SonofKalas

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: 2015-10-16 07:28:07 »
thanks for the swift reply

Shasta McNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: 2015-10-17 14:05:25 »
The Steam version will be here as soon as Luksy gets back to me.

Hear that boys?  It's jean-creamin' time.   :-D :-D :-D

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: 2015-10-21 08:57:26 »
"ふん" is a fecal swear, but this case could also just be a sound. Although he doesn't curse elsewhere, his dialect is rough and I'm tempted to belive it's some thing like "Well sh*t..." or "Sh*t son," like an old miner might say.
I should probably update, if you've made changes since what I downloaded before. Sounds like you have.

You're probably thinking of 糞 which literally means "dung/feces" and isn't a swear word (unless it's read くそ, and even then "swear" is pushing it, it's closer to crap than sh*t). ふん just means "hmpf" or "hmm" depending on the context.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-22 03:47:11 by luksy »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: 2015-10-21 12:40:28 »
OK I discussed with Luksy something that's been bothering me a while

“Today’s command
  is ‘formation’…”{NEW}
“Don’t forget it.”

It's never made any sense.  Well, it was a tough one:

Quote from: Luksy
That first "formation" has nothing to do with what goes on in the locker room, I'm still confused by the text though. It sounds like he's saying "today's order is the name of the formation", does that mean anything to you?

---------------
OK as far as I understand it, what he means is his orders relate to the button names, that's all there is to it. It works in Japanese because he uses the English words for the buttons. It's a 4th wall thing.

haha
[13:20:23] Daniel Burke: so "today's commands are in English" basically
[13:20:41] Daniel Burke: why the word "formation" ?

Because he means the shape of formations, he literally says "circle, triangle, square, cross" in Japanese. It's a really crap idea to give some in-universe explanation for those words that doesn't even work in Japanese.

"today's commands are based off the names of formations" is a super literal translation

[13:23:42] Daniel Burke: thats utterly ridiculous

[13:25:39] They should have just gone all out and said "the commands are based on the shinra-station controller"  ;D

Daniel Burke:  So "Today's commands will be the names of shapes"  or even just remove this silliness entirely since it might not be needed now in English

Edit.  The glyphs and English words are both there, so it's utterly stupid why they used English commands at same time.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-21 14:02:02 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: 2015-10-23 12:14:54 »
Correction to the text:

I have removed the entry where the captain explains why the orders are controller buttons.  Other parts of the game (like Barrett's "press X") do not feel the need to tell you why buttons are being named.  This is mainly due to the fact that the Japanese game uses English words for the buttons, despite also showing the button glyph. It doesn't transfer correctly to the English game.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-23 13:49:43 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: 2015-10-27 01:29:41 »
This is a reminder that December 1st will be the last call for any proof reading.  If none has been started by that time, I'll begin finalizing.  I hope to begin sorting any remaining issues including box positions, and there will be no time to wait around.  When new year comes, the retranslation will be finalized.  Next year, there will be zero corrections. No more pestering Covarr and Luksy.  So if you are doing a proof check, it's time to get skates on.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-27 13:40:47 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: 2015-10-27 13:53:12 »
I've updated some more dialogue, like the following (which was a little off imho)

R03d
Code: [Select]
“Shin-Ra’s concentrated its
  military might at Midgar.”{NEW}
“It’s only a matter of time
  now before Sephiroth
  meets his maker.”{NEW}
“What? Me? I’m cool.
  I’m staying in reserve.
  I value my life.”

“I finally got orders to
  join ‘Operation Sephiroth’.
  I’d even be able to go on
  a Guernica.”{NEW}
“But why break the habit
  of a lifetime? I’m just
  gonna ignore them.”{NEW}
“I have to live and see
  the end of the world.”{NEW}
“If I’m lucky,I’ll be needed
  in the new world.”
“Doesn’t it bother you?
  Flying around knowing that
  you could die at any minute?”{NEW}
“If I were flying,I’d live each and
  every day as if it were my last.{NEW}
“Well,I’d need a licence
  first,of course.”

New
Code: [Select]

“Shin-Ra’s concentrated its
  military might at Midgar.”{NEW}
“It’s only a matter of time
  now before Sephiroth
  meets his maker.”{NEW}
“What? Me? No,I’m staying
  here in reserve. I value my life.”

“I finally got orders to
  join ‘Operation Sephiroth’.
  I’d even get to go on a
  Guernica.”{NEW}
“But why break the habit
  of a lifetime? I’m just
  gonna ignore them.”{NEW}
“I plan on surviving the
  apocalypse. With any
  luck,I’ll be needed in the
  world to come.”
“Doesn’t it bother you,
  flying around,knowing that
  you could die at any minute?”{NEW}
“I’d be living each and every
  day as if it were my last.”{NEW}
“Well,after I’d earned
  my licence,I mean.”
« Last Edit: 2015-10-27 14:04:54 by DLPB »

MEMANIAsama

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: 2015-10-27 20:10:34 »
Yay, congrats on the final stretch. Now, I doubt this would ever be done since it's more a mod and less a translation, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Would it make ANY sense for characters to have a mod toggle that would make characters refer to Red XIII as Nanaki once they've reached Cosmo Canyon and heard his story? It always seemed weird to me that they would refer to him by his "project" name and a name that was assigned to him by a mad scientist that tortured and experimented on him, especially after learning he had an actual name,

But, I realize that's messing more with perhaps the intent of the original game in some way, but I always kind of figured it was a technological limitation of the game since you're allowed to "name" the character and by forcing Nanaki you'd negate the player naming him. I'm curious to see how the remake handles that.

Anyways, just sort of wanted to throw that out there, but like I said, I don't expect anything to be done with it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: 2015-10-27 20:27:36 »
The idea is that the party give him a nickname (the default is Red XIII, but we're to assume that the party call him something else).  Under those circumstances, it's understandable to keep calling him the same name.  The issue here is that if Nanaki had a name all along, why wouldn't he just tell them?  There's no good reason why not.  So we're left with the nickname.

The best way around this would be for Nanaki to tell you his name at the time (modded file) and then later for the script to be altered so there is no surprise.  But this misses some of the story, doesn't it.  A name can only be updated from the naming screen, so to do it the way you suggest would look very clumsy - and the default would again read Red XIII rather than Nanaki.  There isn't a way to change this during play.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: 2015-10-27 20:29:50 »
The way it's phrased in the official translation, if you choose the name Nanaki in the first place, it works fairly neatly when his proper name is introduced. I thought that was one of the few things handled quite cleverly.

edit: disregard that, I'm remembering wrong
« Last Edit: 2015-10-27 20:35:09 by Covarr »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: 2015-10-27 20:42:38 »
Yeah, the guy at the gate also mentions that "Nanaki is Nanaki"  after Cloud asks him who Nanaki is.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: 2015-10-27 20:49:48 »
You know, since we can read the savemap, all we'd need to do is read the bytes corresponding to NANAKI at Red's name address.  If there is a match, we can branch it off to a quirky response that somehow you named him correctly.  Some silly thing like "It must have been the holy flame guiding you" lmao. 

I may cook something up ;)

Ah wait... I forgot.  The names aren't in the banks.  Leave it with me anyway....
« Last Edit: 2015-10-27 20:53:50 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: 2015-10-27 21:20:18 »
OK, there is a way.  I think it's the only way.  I could create a small piece of assembly code that checks (on field entry) for Nanaki bytes at the address, and if found sets a bank byte to 1.  Then in game, that flag can be checked.  This is a very far out way to achieve this - it means actually adding to the game code to even make it possible :P
« Last Edit: 2015-10-27 21:25:16 by DLPB »