Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837289 times)

Money Lisa

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.94)
« Reply #10450 on: 2020-10-15 20:45:35 »
flame thrower is not a learnable skill for new threat.  think antipode was its replacement for that one. which can be leared from the dragons in mythril mines.  on that note angel whisperer is another skill which can not be learned anymore.  regards manip, dont think its possible to manip same for gaes cliff dragons.  good way to tell if can manip something is to watch the txt when u try to do so, if it says miss before can't manip then u can :) if no miss message just prior then u can not

Aah thanks I thought it was the opposite for the "miss" thing ^^

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: 2020-10-17 20:10:38 »
Excellent thanks for the information! Yeah I will just overlook it and play with both, really looking forward to playing through this mod, but I also can't ignore the enhanced 'kaldarasha' models, they just look so much better.

A suggestion, if there are only a few new field models, maybe an option to disable them would be nice to have and allow consistency with other mods (if none of them are critical for your reimagined scenarios that is). Or perhaps ideally, there could be 'kaldarasha' versions of your new field models.

Thanks again.

That's not really an option.

softlock with any other party leader at gold saucer hotel (tried disabling all other mods)
maybe at north crater have it force cloud as party leader, result with tifa as party leader u warp directly to the choco stable room on the highwind, need to nip to the lelft can't interact with anything on that screen.

The 2nd thing sounds like some temporary measure that didn't get a proper solution. I'll add both to my list.

Does this mean your main priority at the moment is FF8 NT? I'd absolutely love that. I played the demo and only wished the whole game was like this. You can fix this broken game that's FF8 and make it fun again.

Also, regarding the Hard Mode, in my opinion, i'd rather have the same game as the original, but with harder enemies and less gil. Something like 50% stronger enemies (with some specific tweaks to some), 33% less gil and 33% less exp. Any more than that and it feels like a punishment. Should feel like a challenge that makes you have to use all the tools and alternative tactics. I think a little less hard than the 1.5 Arranged is the perfect spot, for me, but I cannot speak for everyone.

Priority is FF8 NT, but I want to put a 2.1 patch out for FF7 NT in the meantime as unsure how long the former will take. I want to try and get FF8 NT finished for the end of the year though.

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: 2020-10-17 22:22:25 »
I want to try and get FF8 NT finished for the end of the year though.

kekko1285

• View Profile
« Reply #10453 on: 2020-10-18 17:27:58 »
Priority is FF8 NT, but I want to put a 2.1 patch out for FF7 NT in the meantime as unsure how long the former will take. I want to try and get FF8 NT finished for the end of the year though.

This is great news! Thanks for that :)

8bitSuspicious

• View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: 2020-10-21 08:20:03 »
First of all, well done on NT v1.5 I'm in the end-game and its been very good so far.

Feature request for v2: Allow players to collect all miss-able items in the end-game, and move any weapon/armor/important item from morph/steals to drops. I hate using morph/steal because I always forget or am concentrating on not dying so much :D.

One thing I really don't like about the OG is that you can miss items forever. And it seems in NT v1.5 you could forget to morph/steal an item you need for later that is really important. I'd love to be able to play the game without worrying about miss-able items, and then in the end-game be able to go around and collect everything I need to get the best weapons and armor in the game.

Also is the source code for v1.5 available? I'd have a go at doing this myself If I could learn how to do with some documentation and access to the source code.
« Last Edit: 2020-10-21 08:21:35 by 8bitSuspicious »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10455 on: 2020-10-23 13:46:29 »
First of all, well done on NT v1.5 I'm in the end-game and its been very good so far.

Feature request for v2: Allow players to collect all miss-able items in the end-game, and move any weapon/armor/important item from morph/steals to drops. I hate using morph/steal because I always forget or am concentrating on not dying so much :D.

One thing I really don't like about the OG is that you can miss items forever. And it seems in NT v1.5 you could forget to morph/steal an item you need for later that is really important. I'd love to be able to play the game without worrying about miss-able items, and then in the end-game be able to go around and collect everything I need to get the best weapons and armor in the game.

Also is the source code for v1.5 available? I'd have a go at doing this myself If I could learn how to do with some documentation and access to the source code.

1.5 shouldn't have anything missable, though it does rely on Morph/Steal for some of the end-game weapons in the Crater. The files for NT 1.5 can be acquired either by:

A) Using the Regular Installer and then going into the Data folder to get the patched files.

B) Downloading the IRO via 7th Heaven and then using its unpack IRO function to get the files that way.

The file in this case is the scene.bin which contains the enemy data (Data/Battle for 1998/7th Heaven IRO or Data/Lang-En/Battle for Steam/2012). It's modified using the Proud Clod tool (PrC): http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8481.0
When open, select Enemy Management > Enemy Stats:

The chance is from 1-63, with 63 being guaranteed. If setting a Steal, then Level factors into the success rate so a base chance of 63 may still result in failed steal attempts.

One thing to note with FF7 enemies is that they can only drop one item at a time, and it checks its four item slots consecutively. So if you had, say, 2 drops it'll check the chance on the first drop before checking the 2nd drop and so on. The 1st drop check needs to fail for the 2nd drop check to be evaluated.

Also just to clarify, the mod doesn't have source code as it's altering compiled files through hex edits (mostly done via tools).

8bitSuspicious

• View Profile
« Reply #10456 on: 2020-10-24 15:12:04 »
1.5 shouldn't have anything missable, though it does rely on Morph/Steal for some of the end-game weapons in the Crater.

So I can effectively play the game as normal and not worry about morphing/stealing anything from enemies. Then in the end-game I can go around and morph/steal enemies to get all of those items I didn't morph/steal earlier? This is excellent thanks for clarifying.

And thanks for the explanation on modifying the enemies morph/steal/drop mechanics, I'll go and play around with the tools you mentioned.

Is NT v2 game type A basically the same as NT v1.5? I'm trying to decide if I should play through again on NT v2.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: 2020-10-24 15:20:15 »
So I can effectively play the game as normal and not worry about morphing/stealing anything from enemies. Then in the end-game I can go around and morph/steal enemies to get all of those items I didn't morph/steal earlier? This is excellent thanks for clarifying.

And thanks for the explanation on modifying the enemies morph/steal/drop mechanics, I'll go and play around with the tools you mentioned.

Is NT v2 game type A basically the same as NT v1.5? I'm trying to decide if I should play through again on NT v2.

2.0 Type A is similar to 1.5 but has the following differences:
1) Full rebalance based on new formula adjustments
2) All bosses returned to default names/colours, AI & Attacks modified
3) New item placements
4) Some new event scripts, refined some pre-existing ones

But there's some stuff that was cut from 1.5 to 2.0; some characters don't have sidequests anymore for their Lv.4 Limit and sidequests like Dark Cave were also cut.

Murasame

• View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: 2020-10-27 11:28:38 »
Hello! It's been a while. I've been trying out the latest version (2.0) and just had to point out one thing. I opened the extended save menu in Yamski's house and it soft locked the game for me; the cursor didn't appear and I couldn%u2019t do anything.

One other thing, it's not game changing so I never bothered to mention it but for some reason the field theme won't play for me when in battles even when I set it that way. I started a fresh new game with the new version and have no other mods in use so I'm not quite sure what the issue could be?

Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to cut Dark Cave and a bunch of the Turks battles in Type B? Balancing issues?

Edit: I apologise if my formatting is coming across strange...for some reason my apostrophes are replaced with %u201C%u2019%u201D when I view my post...
« Last Edit: 2020-10-27 14:29:07 by Sega Chief »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: 2020-10-27 14:32:06 »
Hello! It's been a while. I've been trying out the latest version (2.0) and just had to point out one thing. I opened the extended save menu in Yamski's house and it soft locked the game for me; the cursor didn't appear and I couldn%u2019t do anything.

One other thing, it's not game changing so I never bothered to mention it but for some reason the field theme won't play for me when in battles even when I set it that way. I started a fresh new game with the new version and have no other mods in use so I'm not quite sure what the issue could be?

Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to cut Dark Cave and a bunch of the Turks battles in Type B? Balancing issues?

Edit: I apologise if my formatting is coming across strange...for some reason my apostrophes are replaced with %u201C%u2019%u201D when I view my post...

I edited your post a bit for apostrophes; very strange they're coming out as what I'm assuming are ascii/unicode or whatever it is. Maybe an incompatibility with a language or keyboard setting?

Anyways, The Yamski save point I wasn't able to replicate at the time when another user reported it. I'll check it again and see if I can add some sort of failsafe to it.

The field theme playing for battles I think will be due to the variable handling it. Other users reported having the same issue and I'll get to the bottom of it.

Dark Cave was removed to make space for Type B, and also because I wasn't particularly happy with it. The lack of Turk fights in Type B was maybe an oversight; the Gongaga one uses the reactor battle instead for that mode which leaves a long gap until the Turks feature again, and I think the Gelnika encounter was deactivated for Type B as well (can't recall why). Will address that in the update.
« Last Edit: 2020-10-27 14:33:41 by Sega Chief »

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: 2020-10-28 05:57:15 »
Turks the Gelnika encounter was deactivated for Type B as well (can't recall why). Will address that in the update.

i'm sure i fought the turks at that location. its if u do midgar raid first that they don't appear there. which is same as OG.

Yuffieforprez

• View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: 2020-10-31 14:43:02 »
Omg, cant express how much I love love this mod. :-* :-* :-* It's so cool and opens up the game for so many builds.

Trying to build my Vincent into a phys fighter and was wondering if there is a comprehensive list of the limit break changes. Couldnt find any in the documentation texts other than that they were changed to have a mix of phys and mag damage.

Would really like to know so I can choose the best limit form for Vinci so he can go craaaazy.  :evil: :evil: :evil:

And for the other characters too hehe.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: 2020-11-01 15:16:47 »
Omg, cant express how much I love love this mod. :-* :-* :-* It's so cool and opens up the game for so many builds.

Trying to build my Vincent into a phys fighter and was wondering if there is a comprehensive list of the limit break changes. Couldnt find any in the documentation texts other than that they were changed to have a mix of phys and mag damage.

Would really like to know so I can choose the best limit form for Vinci so he can go craaaazy.  :evil: :evil: :evil:

And for the other characters too hehe.

I think the physical attacks on the Limit forms were buffed a little. Think it's 32 base for Galian, 40 for Death Gigas, 8 or 12 for Hellmasker (but it hits 5 times), and Chaos unsure but it'll be high. For context, a standard physical attack uses 16 base power.

Limit Forms change the stats of the character as well:
Galian: Defence+20%, Dexterity+50%, MaxHP+30%
Gigas: Defence+50%, MagicDefence-70%, Dexterity-20%, MaxHP+100%
Hellmasker: Defence/Magic Defence+50%
Chaos: Defence/Magic Defence+100%

These are same as default bonuses; I'd tweak these, but unsure where they're stored/calculated from.

nicoco59

• View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: 2020-11-01 16:40:39 »
Finished the new threat 2.0 today in hard mode, I struggled a lot but fortunately I got Aerith and her last limit ^^

Really like those changes you made in the story, some making more sense than the original game, especially those parts when you can talk to your team members in the cities, how to get Aerith and it was funny to see Tifa / Barret train together in that gym place :)

The only thing maybe I would have add is some special scenes after beating Sephiroth where you can see everyone getting their lives back and why not do some kind of new game + where you can continue to play, finish those sidequests, kill the weapons, see everyone relaxing at Costa Del Sol, doing some delivery with Cloud's bike, see Tifa managing her own bar, Cid working on his new plane...

But it was already a great game experience, thanks Segachief ^^ I saw that you're working on FF8 so I can wait to try too ^^

Robgatti

• View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: 2020-11-02 17:52:30 »
He Sega Chief.

I'm using 7th Heaven to run FF7 NT2.0

Im trying to find a PSX or Xbox controller prompt addon but the one in 7th Heaven says its not compatible with any mods. Does anyone here or maybe you know of one that is compatible? Im planning on playing with updated World Textures and maybe Ninos style character models, would they cause any issues with NT?

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: 2020-11-04 07:11:54 »
He Sega Chief.

I'm using 7th Heaven to run FF7 NT2.0

Im trying to find a PSX or Xbox controller prompt addon but the one in 7th Heaven says its not compatible with any mods. Does anyone here or maybe you know of one that is compatible? Im planning on playing with updated World Textures and maybe Ninos style character models, would they cause any issues with NT?

the latest 7th heaven has both box and psx controller support in built without need for addon :) click on settings  >  controls > presets  Choose accordingly.

If u ran into issues can disable the addons. don't think the either nino char models or the world textures would cause any issue. field changes however could cause some issues. have  NT at the top of load order should give NT priority and keep any issues down to the very minimal.

Robgatti

• View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: 2020-11-04 19:57:01 »
the latest 7th heaven has both box and psx controller support in built without need for addon :) click on settings  >  controls > presets  Choose accordingly.

If u ran into issues can disable the addons. don't think the either nino char models or the world textures would cause any issue. field changes however could cause some issues. have  NT at the top of load order should give NT priority and keep any issues down to the very minimal.

Thank you so much! Everything has worked fine so far (Just got to world map).

chang17lee

• View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: 2020-11-06 21:42:07 »
Hi, is this were I report a bug? I'm currently on disc 1 and in Choco Billy's farm. As I talk to Barret inside the farm, the game just crashes to desktop. Can someone help me?

chang17lee

• View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: 2020-11-06 21:56:10 »
Hi, is this were I report a bug? I'm currently on disc 1 and in Choco Billy's farm. As I talk to Barret inside the farm, the game just crashes to desktop. Can someone help me?

nevermind, found the cause of the crash. Bonez' Sound Shuffler Add-on is causing the issue in the latest new threat mod. It will crash to desktop if you talk to barret inside Chocobo Farm on disc 1.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: 2020-11-07 11:43:33 »
Hi Sega Chief, loving the mod, it's clear you have put so much love into it, it's better than the original game in so many respects – and that's seriously impressive.

I have been keeping some notes of bugs and oddities I have encountered to help, see below in spoiler tag. I also need some guidance on the last point (I looked in the documentation and didn't see anything). Note: This is on Game Type B with Hard Mode. I'm using it via 7th Heaven, along with other mods (for graphics, music, animations and UI), but the only mod I have above it is the Field Models mod.

Spoiler: show
The X-ATM Scorpion boss near the Mt nibel reactor just kept using Search Scope on itself and it's team, it never attacked me once. Seemed bugged.

When Yuffie stole my materia, I still had some. 2 fire materia which were both equipped to cait sith who was in my party (not sure if this is a bug with the mod or the original game), as well as 1 osmose and 1 slow in inventory (probably a bug with the mod as these are your custom materia).

In temple of ancients, where you view the tseng/sephiroth flashback scene in the pool, there was no visible dialogue boxes. Had to keep pressing the button to make the scene continue though.

Temple of ancients boss, why was there a robot scorpion behind me, and why were the dragon and the robot fighting each other? Very confusing and out of place.

After temple of ancients, Cait Sith was suddenly back in my party with no explanation, which I found strange. I think he at least introduced himself in the original.

In Battle Square, I think one of the NPC there said I would lose my BP if I leave, but that's not the case.

At the Icicle Inn, I went to the home of Gast/Ifalna and viewed the first video, after it finished I suddenly see aerith hanging out, even though she was supposed to be dead. Cloud said something like 'looks like you’ve seen a ghost', which is very true haha.

The above incident made me realise that this mod allows for Aerith to be saved, and I hadn't even realised it until that bug. I tried searching an apparently I was supposed to be given a dialogue option to save her? I don't think I got that. Are you able to explain what I did wrong here, as I want to go back and save her now.
« Last Edit: 2020-11-08 08:51:52 by Timber »

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10470 on: 2020-11-08 03:48:03 »
When Yuffie stole my materia, I still had some. 2 fire materia which were both equipped to cait sith who was in my party (not sure if this is a bug with the mod or the original game), as well as 1 osmose and 1 slow in inventory (probably a bug with the mod as these are your custom materia).
yuffie can only hold a certain amount of materia 48 or something which is same as original game, she has a preference in the order in which she steals it.

Temple of ancients boss, why was there a robot scorpion behind me, and why were the dragon and the robot fighting each other? Very confusing and out of place.
its there to help you :) should you require the help, u can steal something from it. or kill it if you wished to...allowing a morph to become easier ;)

In Battle Square, I think one of the NPC there said I would lose my BP if I leave, but that's not the case.
thats noted in the documention.  when the prizes change, it gives u a percentage of it.

At the Icicle Inn, I went to the home of Gast/Ifalna and viewed the first video, after it finished I suddenly see aerith hanging out, even though she was supposed to be dead. Cloud said something like 'looks like you’ve seen a ghost', which is very true haha.

The above incident made me realise that this mod allows for Aerith to be saved, and I hadn't even realised it until that bug. I tried searching an apparently I was supposed to be given a dialogue option to save her? I don't think I got that. Are you able to explain what I did wrong here, as I want to go back and save her now.
[/quote]

It is possible to save areith in the battle vs jenova-life at a certain point it will revive the 'flowergirl'  If u didnt kill her during that battle she would be available to your party at the cost of the only ribbon in the game.  When you get the highwind, there is an NPC which will allow you to revive her if you wish to which would allow you to keep your ribbon 'reward'. you could use osmose to steal her MP if want easier fight, or beserk her so just would need to contend with her physical attacks which can make that fight a little easier.

might be worth stating which game type A/B and any other flags u have set, such as no exp/hard mode with regards to the other parts so he can perhaps replicate.

« Last Edit: 2020-11-08 03:51:37 by wdx »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: 2020-11-08 08:50:42 »
might be worth stating which game type A/B and any other flags u have set, such as no exp/hard mode with regards to the other parts so he can perhaps replicate.

Apologies, it was Game Type B on Hard Mode.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: 2020-11-08 16:57:23 »
Finished the new threat 2.0 today in hard mode, I struggled a lot but fortunately I got Aerith and her last limit ^^

Really like those changes you made in the story, some making more sense than the original game, especially those parts when you can talk to your team members in the cities, how to get Aerith and it was funny to see Tifa / Barret train together in that gym place :)

The only thing maybe I would have add is some special scenes after beating Sephiroth where you can see everyone getting their lives back and why not do some kind of new game + where you can continue to play, finish those sidequests, kill the weapons, see everyone relaxing at Costa Del Sol, doing some delivery with Cloud's bike, see Tifa managing her own bar, Cid working on his new plane...

But it was already a great game experience, thanks Segachief ^^ I saw that you're working on FF8 so I can wait to try too ^^

I did consider at one point having a post-game state, but I think the issue really lies with how the ending FMV works. It terminates the game client; a way around that would be to have a save made after the final battle that, once loaded, puts the player into that post-game state but it'd be a fair bit of work to set all the NPCs up with dialogue, etc. to handle it.

nevermind, found the cause of the crash. Bonez' Sound Shuffler Add-on is causing the issue in the latest new threat mod. It will crash to desktop if you talk to barret inside Chocobo Farm on disc 1.

Yeah we discussed that on Discord but the underlying cause is unknown as Barret there doesn't trigger any SFX or the like. I'll need to try some shots in the dark with it like moving him elsewhere or something.

Hi Sega Chief, loving the mod, it's clear you have put so much love into it, it's better than the original game in so many respects – and that's seriously impressive.

I have been keeping some notes of bugs and oddities I have encountered to help, see below in spoiler tag. I also need some guidance on the last point (I looked in the documentation and didn't see anything). Note: This is on Game Type B with Hard Mode. I'm using it via 7th Heaven, along with other mods (for graphics, music, animations and UI), but the only mod I have above it is the Field Models mod.

The X-ATM Scorpion boss near the Mt nibel reactor just kept using Search Scope on itself and it's team, it never attacked me once. Seemed bugged.

In temple of ancients, where you view the tseng/sephiroth flashback scene in the pool, there was no visible dialogue boxes. Had to keep pressing the button to make the scene continue though.

After temple of ancients, Cait Sith was suddenly back in my party with no explanation, which I found strange. I think he at least introduced himself in the original.

1) Seems like an AI issue; I'll check into it.

2) As wdx mentioned, there's a limit to how much can be taken due to memory space. The game has a priority system where things like Summon Materia will be taken first then it'll work down the list; this means that elemental spells tend to be left behind. During testing, I tend not to use any Materia that was left behind to replicate the 'worst case scenario' and make sure the items etc. provided + non-materia parties are enough to progress through it.

3) That dialogue box thing is to do with Kalderasha's field models (I think); for some reason it causes the text boxes on that particular screen to be invisible.

4) It's a hold-over from the 1.5 build where the Red Dragon battle had you pincered by both it and the X-ATM, but the X-ATM would then prioritise the dragon over you resulting in a 'caught in the middle' fight where you want to keep the X-ATM alive so that the dragon doesn't start attacking you instead.

5) A 2nd Cait is supposed to pop up during the scene outside the temple after it's been converted. Perhaps some interference from Disc 3 stuff has set him to be invisible, will investigate.

6) I'll change the NPC dialogue that mentions BP resetting. BP is retained when leaving the Battle Square + Gold Saucer, but whenever the prizes change the BP you have will be reduced to a % of what it was (this is so that BP can't be maxed out early on then used to buy the later prize sets). Another minor change is that the prize list can be checked even with 0 BP as the game originally didn't let you view them at all until you had accumulated at least 1 BP.

7) My bad on that, there's a flag that handles it so it probably doesn't check it when turning the field models back on after the video stops playing.

During the battle at the end of Disc 1 in the Forgotten City, you'll notice that Aeris is present in the battle as an inactive 'enemy' next to the boss. During the fight, the boss will revive her to fight the party. If she survives the battle from here, she'll be retained in the party; if she's instead KO'd by the end then she doesn't although you'll get a Ribbon out of it which is the only instance of it in the mod.

Vonlo

• View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: 2020-11-09 10:38:38 »
Greetings!

First off, I love your work. I'm having a blast playing it. There's a couple things I'd like to point/ask:

There seems to be an incompatibility issue with 2.0 and Qhimm's spell textures. Whenever I use Nanaki's 'Lunatic howl' the game crashes. It worked without problems on 1.5.

I just beat the 5th foe in Wonder square (I LOVE YOU EVEN MORE) and I wanted to know if there is any use for the key item you get.

Thanks in advance, boss.
« Last Edit: 2020-11-09 21:09:50 by Vonlo »

Wise_Crack17

• View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: 2020-11-10 14:55:34 »
Yeah, I wouldn't call this game "midcore" anymore.  I spend about 20 minutes to an hour on every boss in the "third disc."  It's getting very time consuming to be honest.  I am always down for a challenge, but some of this is just crazy.  Thanks for a fun mod, but I don't think I'll be putting in the 100+ hours just to beat this.  Mind you, I have beaten all the specific character quests and a few of the other hidden bosses.  But trying to get everything you need to craft the ultimate weapons and whatnot is outrages. 

P.S. not a complaint, but if you ever tone it down a little let me know so I can do the rest of the extras you put in the game lol.
« Last Edit: 2020-11-10 15:00:31 by Wise_Crack17 »