Author Topic: [FF7PC] ZomiPlayFont UI  (Read 25578 times)

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
[FF7PC] ZomiPlayFont UI
« on: 2020-04-28 17:50:36 »
ZomiPlayFont UI 0.98 (The Reunion compatible)

Download here:
 • Version with PlayStation buttons support: https://drive.google.com/file/d/189oY9TcgUqJmoeGnQcAt_7UlEafovZSx/view?usp=sharing
 • Version with XBOX buttons support: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18kWOYupot3O-b4Nm8oqgMff6rYcQgK_f/view?usp=sharing
 • .IRO file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZlFj_F6-GCEFxA-PcQlRVdQceSab1yiT/view?usp=sharing

Spoiler: show
The below files were requested for Italian porting project https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19551.0
It contains only the font files with five symbols replaced. Those files are generally for modding. For playing download files above.
PSX buttons: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TKnpgs1KDW14qUCGrwE8r3Na818Ot9dc/view?usp=sharing
XBOX buttons: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q2_rXFZ6FjZ7NPvvxwQaZ0EWDt1O9vCa/view?usp=sharing

Install it above other UI mods.

How to install:
The Reunion users.
• Download either PSX buttons support .zip or XBOX buttons .zip archive.
• Unpack that archive to the "...\The_Reunion\GLOBAL\Texture" directory of your Final Fantasy VII (so "menu" folder from .zip should replace "menu" folder in ...\Texture directory, and "flevel" should replace "flevel"). It is the easiest way. You can also use ...\The_Reunion\CUSTOM directory. Read The Reunion manual for that.

The 7th Heaven users.
• Download .IRO file.
• Launch the 7th Heaven.
• On the most right part of the program click the first icon - "Import mod", then click the picture of a folder, then choose downloaded .iro file of ZomiPlayFont. Click OK.

Aali.dll or FFNx.dll (without Reunion and 7th Heaven).
• Open ff7_opengl.cfg (if using Aali.dll) or FFNx.cfg (if using FFNx.dll) in any text editor.
• Find string "mod_path =". Make sure there is NO "#" right before that string on the same line (delete # if it is there). Type desired mod path. For example it should look like this: mod_path = mods\Textures It means that the game will look for textures in your Final Fantasy VII ...\mods\Textures folder.
• Save .cfg file.
• Unpack ZomiPlayFont .zip archive to that folder signed in "mod_path =". In my example it would be ...\mods\Textures.

Issues:
• This font isn't friendly with 7th Heaven. It will work, but if you use other UI mods that change symbols position (Enhanced UI for example), then it can get messy, letters can stand on each other.
• There is something strange with vertical borders - sometimes it's ok, but sometimes their vertical bright line is shifted to the right. Standart borders are ok. But modified borders should suit perfectly.
I'm sure it's that bad scaling FF7 thing. In one pattern it scales so there are more dark lines, and another patern - more bright lines - so those patterns won't match. In high resolutions there is no such thing. The only fix I can think of is to make very blury border.
Or maybe I miss something, and it is not scaling thing.

• The similar issue to above one. The disabled cursor (when you summon an esper) is shifting all the time, because its disabled and enabled state do not match, but they are, I calculated it to the every pixel. Standart cursor is ok. (I don't want to shift the cursor, because I don't understand the reason of this issue, It IS on its position.) Must be scaling problem again.

Description:
The main reason to create this project was a lack of existing fonts (or I didn't find any suitable) for The Reunion mod with "New_Translation" option is ON. I played FF7 with the great Avalanche Team GUI 2.1.0 , but for some reason it doesn't contain a lot of symbols (controller buttons, some apostrophes/qoutes and so on) and it is hard to read for me - too large spaces between letters:

ZomiPlayFont vs GUI 2.1.0 comparison (click SHOW)

ZomiPlayFont vs Original font:

More screenshots:

Changelog:
• Fixed an issue with some symbols had a part of another symbol
• Made borders brighter
• Changed borders
• New item ring icon
• Some minor changes
• Fixed some pointers transparency
• All PNGs were optimized. So there should be no that transparency issue anymore
• Done borders
• Done materia slots
• The project was renamed to "ZomiPlayFont UI"
• Fixed and done sleep and silence effects

• Added items and equipment icons

• Done battle screen "target", "Death", "Recovery" words

0.92b
• Fixed slash symbol in the game menu
• Added some files to be sure Cait Sith's limit works

0.92a
• Fixed scrolling text won't disappear

• Fixed Tifa's and Cait's limits reels not shown
• Fixed in-game timer not shown

• Done battle screen numerals
• Done Exp, limit, etc bars
• Done menu MP, HP, LV
• Minor changes

• Done menu numerals
• Done High quality materia and stars images
• Done HQ cursor
• Done battle menu headers (NAME, LIMIT, TIME, etc)
• Edited some colors

The first public release.
• Done all letters, except those in HP, MP, etc. and some words on battle screen ("target", "yeah", etc.)
• Added PSX and XBOX buttons

Thanks to:
• Avalanche Team for their GUI. This mod temporally uses its reels and in-game timer.
• Fewtch for helping with transparency issue.
• Users who report bugs thus making this mod better.

The Reunion mod: https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0
Avalanche Team GUI: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18397.0
« Last Edit: 2020-06-11 20:02:21 by Panteleimon »

Agravaile

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC] ZomiPlayFont
« Reply #1 on: 2020-04-28 22:26:02 »
Thanks, great work! Very nice results, hope your font gets used in many other releases too, it suits well. But the download link is restricted.

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #2 on: 2020-04-29 00:31:29 »
Thanks, great work! Very nice results, hope your font gets used in many other releases too, it suits well. But the download link is restricted.
Thanks. It should work now. I've tested it. If it's not working, let me know, please.
P.S. It says that you can't view file. But still there is a download button.

Agravaile

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-29 00:49:42 »
Yep, now it does, thanks a lot! Will be testing from now on, will report if there's any issues.

Edit: So here are some problems that i've spotted by now. Transparency issues again, my guess?
« Last Edit: 2020-04-29 01:53:26 by Agravaile »

rinaldus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-04-29 05:47:57 »
Any chance you'll put out an 7H 2.0 compatible IRO?

Also, incredible font work. Definitely retains the original FFVII style.

Agravaile

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-04-29 07:35:18 »
Yep, now it does, thanks a lot! Will be testing from now on, will report if there's any issues.

Edit: So here are some problems that i've spotted by now. Transparency issues again, my guess?

Okay, i think nevermind that, there is no issue with the font, i guess. I had "fancy_transparency" option turned off, and that's what caused those little line artifacts on the font. So if anyone is experiencing those issues, you need to be sure to turn that on.

By the way, i decided to give a try for adding x360 buttons myself, so if you give permission, i can leave a download link with some screenshots attached, and if it's to your liking, you can use it in your final release as well.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-29 10:11:31 by Agravaile »

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #6 on: 2020-04-29 12:23:25 »

By the way, i decided to give a try for adding x360 buttons myself, so if you give permission, i can leave a download link with some screenshots attached, and if it's to your liking, you can use it in your final release as well.
I have just finished adding XBOX buttons :) Link is in main post.

Screenshots

Any chance you'll put out an 7H 2.0 compatible IRO?

Also, incredible font work. Definitely retains the original FFVII style.
Thanks.
I'll try, I guess, never did it though. Hope, there is nothing difficult :)
Done it. Link is in the main post. Though I don't think 7H natively supports pad buttons like the Reunion does.
Issues:
This font isn't friendly with 7th Heaven. It will work, but if you use other UI mods that change symbols position (Enhanced UI for example), then it can get messy, letters can stand on each other.
I will work on it later, I have a solution I think.

It didn't work. I have to re-edit the whole font just for .IRO. Don't want it yet.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-29 17:05:52 by Panteleimon »

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-04-30 04:04:38 »
When adding the iro to 7th Heaven it shows up twice. Game wont launch because this mod is showing up twice in my mod list but I only moved that single iro file. If I try and delete one in the list, both get deleted.

Edit: After installing it and leaving it at the bottom of the load order it doesn't duplicate itself and works. Also, does this mod alter the pointer? Mine is still the original. Font looks really good in game, nice work.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-30 04:09:41 by KaidenJames »

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #8 on: 2020-04-30 11:21:26 »
When adding the iro to 7th Heaven it shows up twice. Game wont launch because this mod is showing up twice in my mod list but I only moved that single iro file. If I try and delete one in the list, both get deleted.

Edit: After installing it and leaving it at the bottom of the load order it doesn't duplicate itself and works. Also, does this mod alter the pointer? Mine is still the original. Font looks really good in game, nice work.
Not sure why it's shown twice. I've tested it - it has one copy.
Yes, the pointer is original. Everything is original except letters and joypad buttons.

To get HQ cursor and other icons, watch Hints section in the main post.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-30 19:21:11 by Panteleimon »

Agravaile

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2020-05-01 12:16:36 »
Any plans on doing the numerals in the same style as your font? Not that Avalanche's 2.1.0 is bad, it does it's job, though it feels different a bit, so for consistency, would be nice to have the numerals from you too! Even the brightness of the font and numerals are a bit different, if you take a better look at it.

I believe what make your font be closer to the original art, was making it square-ish, while Avalanche's is a bit more round-ish, if you know what i mean. Same with the numerals, they're just too round and they stand out because of it, while original PS1 font (And Reunion's, that are practically original ones), and numerals were, again, more square-ish.

The battles where the numerals stand out the most, actually. They're too clean, a bit cartoonish i would say.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-01 12:23:57 by Agravaile »

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #10 on: 2020-05-01 15:35:38 »
Any plans on doing the numerals in the same style as your font?
I did it (one color only though). There are other staff also in the files that contain numerals, I need to redraw it too then. I'll try

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #11 on: 2020-05-04 20:51:34 »
ZomiPlayFont 0.9 is released.

• Done menu numerals
• Done High quality materia and stars images
• Done HQ cursor
• Done battle menu headers (NAME, LIMIT, TIME, etc)
• Edited some colors.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-04 23:52:40 by Panteleimon »

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2020-05-04 22:41:21 »
I just wanna say Panteleimon that I love your font! I've been using it the last few days and it's the next best thing if you prefer not to have the OG font, thank you so much for providing this.  :)

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #13 on: 2020-05-04 23:52:12 »
I just wanna say Panteleimon that I love your font! I've been using it the last few days and it's the next best thing if you prefer not to have the OG font, thank you so much for providing this.  :)
It is nice to know that someone likes your work :) Thanks
« Last Edit: 2020-05-05 00:10:10 by Panteleimon »

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #14 on: 2020-05-06 19:14:56 »
Version 0.91 is released.

• Done battle screen numerals
• Done Exp, limit, etc bars
• Done menu MP, HP, LV
• Minor changes

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #15 on: 2020-05-09 16:43:19 »
freakin' sweet

i started a new playthrough with full screen in reunion (16:9) and the stretching really isnt bad at all, the biggest problem is the font, but this font is high quality enough that its not blocky even when stretched

very nice work

edit: i'm not 100% sure, but i believe this mod makes timers disappear from the game (the 10:00 to escape reactor 1, also the short timers on the train cars)
during the train security alerts, the text scrolls up and you can still see the bottom of the text that is supposed to scroll up out of view as well, this happens in many other places as well
also tifa's limit slot reel is invisible

the timer and tifa limit seems like they just need to be reinserted into the game (i would assume its the same with cait sith's limit), the text scrolling thing seems complex, hope it can be fixed
« Last Edit: 2020-05-09 22:07:36 by Orichalcon »

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #16 on: 2020-05-09 22:55:54 »
freakin' sweet

i started a new playthrough with full screen in reunion (16:9) and the stretching really isnt bad at all, the biggest problem is the font, but this font is high quality enough that its not blocky even when stretched

very nice work

edit: i'm not 100% sure, but i believe this mod makes timers disappear from the game (the 10:00 to escape reactor 1, also the short timers on the train cars)
during the train security alerts, the text scrolls up and you can still see the bottom of the text that is supposed to scroll up out of view as well, this happens in many other places as well
also tifa's limit slot reel is invisible

the timer and tifa limit seems like they just need to be reinserted into the game (i would assume its the same with cait sith's limit), the text scrolling thing seems complex, hope it can be fixed
Thank you for your report!
The mod isn't complete, but as I saw - those files my mod does not use the game takes from itself (my mod has no Avatars - so game uses the standart ones, etc). But seems like that rule has many exceptions. My mod doesn't use those files that contain Tifa's and Cait's reels, nor the timer.
I've added those files. The problem has been fixed.

Version 0.92 is released
• Fixed Tifa's and Cait's limits reels not shown
• Fixed in-game timer not shown

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #17 on: 2020-05-09 23:09:58 »
Orichalcon, do you happen to have the save before that scrolling text issue so I can see it and test is?
« Last Edit: 2020-05-09 23:11:33 by Panteleimon »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #18 on: 2020-05-09 23:23:42 »
Orichalcon, do you happen to have the save before that scrolling text issue so I can see it and test is?

yes, hang on i'll edit this post with it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UsN-h9_o7p9jpyuK77BAzoTjB0guV1la/view?usp=sharing

the beginner's hall save you can go straight to the train and see what i'm talking about

the latter mako reactor 5 save you can plant the bomb and have a conversation with president shinra in which you will see it several times as well
« Last Edit: 2020-05-09 23:27:54 by Orichalcon »

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2020-05-10 03:55:33 »
does this use the same font spacing as vanilla font?

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #20 on: 2020-05-10 10:34:48 »
does this use the same font spacing as vanilla font?

I tried to do it so.
yes, hang on i'll edit this post with it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UsN-h9_o7p9jpyuK77BAzoTjB0guV1la/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.
It is because my mod does not include Borders :(

Version 0.92a is released

Orichalcon, if you play Cait Sith, can you, please, tell me, is his limit with reels ok or invisible?
« Last Edit: 2020-05-10 17:21:42 by Panteleimon »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #21 on: 2020-05-10 18:36:15 »
I tried to do it so. Thanks.
It is because my mod does not include Borders :(

Version 0.92a is released

Orichalcon, if you play Cait Sith, can you, please, tell me, is his limit with reels ok or invisible?

yes, will test this and report back, had a nephew stay over last night with my 2 boys (4, 5, and 6 year olds), as soon as i clean up the mako reactor explosion that is my house i will hop on ff7 :)

EDIT:  tifa and cait sith's limits both work great, timers are back, and text scrolling issue is solved as well, everything i reported is solved... thanks!

my only (very small) gripe now is that i hate the border, i used to have thin bars extracted from the enhanced ui mod imported to reunion, i added them to your mod but they are not thick enough to block the text scrolling issue

i am gonna work on the border and see if i can't make it a bit sleeker and will donate it if i have success

i envision something like the border on my avatar, would go perfect with the game, but idk if there is enough room for that but i'm gonna try

if someone wants to steal my idea (its a good one, isnt it?) and beat me to it i'd be fine with that :)
« Last Edit: 2020-05-10 20:13:12 by Orichalcon »

Panteleimon

• View Profile
    • ZomiPlayFont for FF7
« Reply #22 on: 2020-05-11 00:30:54 »

EDIT:  tifa and cait sith's limits both work great, timers are back, and text scrolling issue is solved as well, everything i reported is solved... thanks!

my only (very small) gripe now is that i hate the border, i used to have thin bars extracted from the enhanced ui mod imported to reunion, i added them to your mod but they are not thick enough to block the text scrolling issue

i am gonna work on the border and see if i can't make it a bit sleeker and will donate it if i have success

i envision something like the border on my avatar, would go perfect with the game, but idk if there is enough room for that but i'm gonna try

if someone wants to steal my idea (its a good one, isnt it?) and beat me to it i'd be fine with that :)
Thank you. I don't play Cait Sith, and his limit break is Dice only :)
Is his Slot limit break looks like on the screen below?

I'm asking, cause I forgot to add it (ketcy2a_00.PNG and ketcy2b_00.PNG) to release. So it works even without it? Anyway, I'll add those files to be safe)

And about thin borders - I think it needs to be HEX edited...
And you can try this http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19120.msg270402#msg270402 Not sure if it works fine.

Version 0.92b is released
• Fixed slash symbol in the game menu
• Added some files to be sure Cait Sith's Slot limit is visible

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #23 on: 2020-05-11 02:00:22 »
i think the slots looked a tad different than that, but it was indeed working

and nope, hext to fix text under the border doesnt work with reunion apparently, text scrolling issue still exists, gotta have the thick border

however the main hext file makes it so the border in btl_win_c_l_00.png applies to the whole game where it didnt before, pretty neat

« Last Edit: 2020-05-16 15:53:04 by Orichalcon »

Agravaile

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2020-05-11 03:31:41 »
also the blue icons for the weapons/armor/accessories on this same file as the border are the icons that show up in shops/inventory, and they are bluish and pixelated instead of normal

I believe they are never intended to be shown.