Author Topic: [FF7] command line tools for LGP archives - LGP/UnLGP (v.5)  (Read 93341 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
lgp/unlgp - command line tools for LGP archives
« Reply #25 on: 2009-07-26 20:09:59 »
here is my binary that doesnt require the cygwin DLL (proberly because i didnt use cygwin i used MinGW)
http://www.mediafire.com/?mmdmjzfyatz

m35

• View Profile
    • jPSXdec
« Reply #26 on: 2009-07-27 05:11:54 »
You should probably bundle the required .dlls as well.
I don't think people with cygwin already installed are going to need those binaries :-)

Didn't think I needed to clarify, but like kranmer, I also didn't need cygwin to build the binaries (just used MinGW and make for MinGW).

Both kranmer and my binaries don't have any dependencies except MS Windows (and perhaps msvcrt*.dll, but most people should have that installed already).

Edit: Oops, I am incorrect. My binaries do need cygwin.dll. Pay no attention to this post.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 15:36:21 by m35 »

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-07-27 05:23:29 »
I guess I don't need to worry about making a binary then.
MinGW is a much better solution to compiling applications on Windows than Cygwin.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009-07-27 05:52:32 »
Didn't think I needed to clarify, but like kranmer, I also didn't need cygwin to build the binaries (just used MinGW and make for MinGW).

Both kranmer and my binaries don't have any dependencies except MS Windows (and perhaps msvcrt*.dll, but most people should have that installed already).

You didn't need to clarify, your binary needs cygwin1.dll, kranmers doesn't.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-07-27 06:12:03 »
Successfully compiled it under Microsoft C# Express! Compiled it under C++ but resulted in DEP errors so I skipped it. However, C# did the charm.

@Aali: Permission to build a Windows GUI version?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009-07-27 06:38:43 »
Successfully compiled it under Microsoft C# Express! Compiled it under C++ but resulted in DEP errors so I skipped it. However, C# did the charm.

@Aali: Permission to build a Windows GUI version?
If the source is made available, it's usually ok to do with it whatever you like :)

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009-07-27 07:39:49 »
:lol: The source code will be included, if Aali gives permission, since it will be published under Attribution, Share-alike, No Derivative Work.

:lol: But what do you want the source code for, when I'm going to publish it under Attribution, Share Alike, No Derivative Work?

As a side note, consider reading http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5834.0, subsection "Arrrr, matey! I downloaded FF7 and...".

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009-07-27 08:00:22 »
No, he's saying that because Aali released his source, you're generally free to do what you want with it. Whether you need to release the source to anything you make depends on the license Aali is using.

Okay, why do you keep bringing up piracy? We're talking about LGP packing and unpacking utilities and nothing even related to piracy, so why are you posting this?

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009-07-27 09:40:27 »
No, he's saying that because Aali released his source, you're generally free to do what you want with it. Whether you need to release the source to anything you make depends on the license Aali is using.
Last time I checked, he said "if the source is made available" not "since/when the source is made available". So, he is talking about my source code.

Okay, why do you keep bringing up piracy? We're talking about LGP packing and unpacking utilities and nothing even related to piracy, so why are you posting this?
It was not to you! And it was not about piracy. Obesebear has already asked me to "chill out %50" and so I posted that link just for a funny mention of employing BY-SA-ND. It was certainly not about Microsoft, Piracy or WGA. So, stop attacking other people.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 09:47:59 by FleetCommand »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009-07-27 14:21:37 »
Well, this is the license; do whatever you want with it, unless I ask you to stop. Also give some credit. :-P

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-07-27 16:02:35 »
Last time I checked, he said "if the source is made available" not "since/when the source is made available". So, he is talking about my source code.
Actually I was talking about Aali's source code.  In hindsight, maybe I should have said since
The reason I said IF is because I was generalizing ANY source code made available.  Sorry about the misunderstanding :P

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009-07-29 06:24:29 »
Well, this is the license; do whatever you want with it, unless I ask you to stop. Also give some credit. :-P
What? Propertiary Subsidiary license?  :-o

Well, I didn't expect it, celebrated one. Although, no hard feelings, you are the owner of your own work. Still, this type of license is so unprecendented amongst Linux applications...

So... there will be no Windows GUI version, then. But at least I still have my .NET console application binaries licensed under CC-BY-SA-ND. Besides, I think this licensing example serves as a great example of reality for likes of arew264.

Thanks anyway.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009-07-29 06:32:13 »
He's saying it doesn't have a license.
All he wants from you is to give him credit

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009-07-29 06:48:07 »
Why is everything such a big deal with you? He's not naming a specific license because there isn't one. If you can make it better, make it better. If you can make it more accessible, make it more accessible. If you want to add a GUI to make it more user friendly, I highly doubt Aali will raise any protest. He didn't post the source code so he could wave it in front of you, he posted it because others can build on his work.

And seriously, stop with the side remarks about Linux and me. Linux applications can be closed source as well, in fact, I run my main development desktop with closed source NVidia video drivers. That's reality. The open source ATI drivers for my laptop are way better than the closed source ones. That's reality as well.
I mentioned WGA because it's another level of irritation between me and getting work done, not because I endorse any form of piracy. I run legal copies of Windows, I just don't like to have to prove it every time.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 07:08:16 by arew264 »

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009-07-29 07:14:43 »
He's saying it doesn't have a license.
All he wants from you is to give him credit
No he is saying:
  • "Do whatever you want with it" means: That I, Fleet Command, am in complete control of the development.
  • "Unless I ask you to stop" means: In the end, it is Aali who decides whether the product that I develop must be released or not, which in turn means that he, Aali, is in control of what is developed and what is not and I must seek to appease him. Otherwise it is: "STOP!"
  • Finally, "Give some credit" solidifies all the above.
Come on man, take it easy. Aali did a good job and he feels protective about it, so much that does not think a less strict license like CC-BY-SA-ND (which also gives proper credit) is enough. I repeat, He has the right to. And well...  :| I have the right to not develop a Windows GUI version under these conditions.
Why is everything such a big deal with you? He's not naming a specific license because there isn't one. If you can make it better, make it better. I you can make it more accessible, make it more accessible. If you want to add a GUI to make it more user friendly, I highly doubt Aali will raise any protest. He didn't post the source code so he could wave it in front of you, he posted it because others can build on his work.

And seriously, stop with the side remarks about Linux and me. Linux applications can be closed source as well, in fact, I run my main development desktop with closed source NVidia video drivers. That's reality. The open source ATI drivers for my laptop are way better than the closed source ones. That's reality as well.
I mentioned WGA because it's another level of irritation between me and getting work done, not because I endorse any form of piracy. I run legal copies of Windows, I just don't like to have to prove it every time.
:-o I didn't mean any of what you said, because if I wanted to mean so, I'd have written it so. I meant exactly what I wrote: People, even celebrated people like Aali, feel protective of their own work and they have the right to. I did not meantion anything about WGA, Microsoft, Open-source, Piracy or anything else.

So, please stop acting offensive. Seriously, if you have a problem with Microsoft or WGA, keep them away from this forum.

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009-07-29 07:20:23 »
No, this isn't me being angry, this is me being irritated and perplexed.
You previously claimed I was insulting Microsoft and suggesting piracy, and in that last post you tried to poke an insult at Linux and claimed that I needed to find "reality." I don't care how you feel about Linux or anything else, just don't throw in side remarks that insult me and the software I choose to use and then claim you didn't say anything. It's unprofessional, if nothing else.
And now I really am off topic. Ah well, it had to be done.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009-07-29 07:25:59 »
anywaaayyy...

About this GUI version, do you plan to release it? Sorry if you answered already, i didn't wanna read all this licensing thing i don't understand

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009-07-29 08:07:56 »
^ Just let me calm down, dear hellbringer616. Currently, I feel like leaving this forum and never post again.

EDIT: Not that you guys miss me. I've been usless commentator, haven't I?

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-07-29 08:09:07 »
no problem, i was just wondering if you were releasing it or just keeping it for you.

By all means take your time, i don't like rushing anyone here :-D

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009-07-29 17:46:39 »
FleetCommand,  you really need to chill.  You seem to have a good grasp of the English language but you also seem to have trouble understanding implications.   Aali doesn't care if you use his source code to make a GUI. 

In the unlikely case you completely bastardize it and break laws, he will ask you to stop.

He also wants you to mention in the readme that it was his source code you used.   I'm sure he will clear this up once he reads all of this

Really guys, it's the internet.  Just calm down

Edited for clarity
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 19:00:38 by obesebear »

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009-07-29 17:49:26 »
EDIT: Not that you guys miss me. I've been usless commentator, haven't I?

That is simply not the case. You wanted to make something that would make this tool more useful, and we've had... misunderstandings. Nothing more.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009-07-29 18:10:43 »
FleetCommand: If you make a program that kills peoples dogs based on my code, I won't be too happy about it (but very impressed that you managed to kill dogs with a piece of software)
Unless you do something incredibly broken and/or offensive and put my name on it, I don't care what you do with the code.
It's not like I can enforce any of these "demands" anyway, so just don't be an ass and we'll be cool.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 2009-07-30 06:04:34 »
Geez, I take a day off to fix my car and you guys crap all over this thread. Honestly, I can't take my eyes away from this forum for a minute...

Knock it off, all of you!

If you have a problem with this, I suggest you take it elsewhere.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009-08-08 15:11:01 »
Check the repo for an important update.
For some reason I never noticed that the lgp tool couldn't make archives from anything but the current directory.
It was also not closing some file handles, but that never caused any noticeable issues.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009-08-08 18:33:02 »
Thanks for the update Aali.
0.3b binary compiled by me can be gotten here.
http://www.mediafire.com/?iyvidgtm3y2