Author Topic: Prince of Persia  (Read 3739 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Prince of Persia
« on: 2010-05-31 05:27:39 »
Okay, i went to see the new prince of persia movie yesterday, and I must say, it wasnt that bad. However, I do have some beef with it and feel liek rambling it here.

SPOILERS AHEAD FOOLS

so, the movie maintains a similar feel to the game, and has lots of awesome references, such as rediculous camera movements that look at where the action will take the prince (as is done in the game), as well as a joke about the prince's rediculous acrobatics. the list goes on, and i was happy to see these things there.

now to my beefs... for some reason, the prince got a useless morsel of backstory that - he is not a prince o.O he's some street orphan who ... saved his street friend frmo getting killed for stealing a fruit or something, and the king thot he was kool so he took him in. I'm not partial to the underdog story in this case, firstly cuz it is so weak and unnecessary, its mentioned numerous times, but not to further his character or the plot. the movie could've nicely done with out it (to the point i'm tempted to make an edit that just cuts out all the references, and the flashback scene... its so non-integral it would really just be a few clips here n there.

next bit  - bad guy motivation. This doesnt bother me as much, but in the game, the evil vizier guy was trying to get the sands of time so he could gain immortality and power n shit... kool beans. in the movie (although its never comfirmed by the bad guy, but everyone says its the case so we'll roll with that) he wants to go back in time and not save his brother the king so he could be king for his lifetime.... a bit... dry o.o.

The game opened and closed with a monologue about time which went something liek this " Most people think time flows fast and steady like a river, constantly in one direction, but I have seen the face of time. It is an ocean in the storm." followed by him saying something bout how he's gonna tell a great story. in the movie they have some text in the opening and the closing, again the same line beginning and end, except its some cheezy overused hollywood shit about some ppl getting connected through time cuz of destiny... or something... they should've used the original :P

CONSEQuences ... the movie haz none, but it likes to think it does! okay so, bad guy wants the sands of time so he can go back and be king - KOOL. however, doing this will unleash the wrath of the gods and cause a giant sandstorm that will destroy earth. when the bad guy gets to open the sands, the sandstorm comes... except... the characters involved do go back in time... before the sandstorm.... so effectively there is no consequence, because you just dodge the sandstorm by summoning it. in the game, you could go back in time n shit, except opening the sands tended to turn everyone who wasnt protected by sands of time artifacts to TURN INTO SAND DEMONS. NOW THATS A CONSEQUENCE!

oh yea, last thing, the prince randomly spits at the end.. wtf that and jake gilanhall or however u wirte his name, did a decent job, but he rlllly doesnt look the part ;P

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Persia
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-31 08:14:02 »
Many game related movies kind of suck but you're right. I don't like to see how he made it as a prince but it's not that part which makes it really bad. I don't like "this" part but I won't say it since its kind of a spoiler.
PS:The princess do not look so "hot" for my taste. :D

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-31 12:36:19 »
so it seems like the beef you got at first comes from them combining not JUST the sands of time trilogy, but also adding elements from the older games as well

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-31 13:12:15 »
If they're going to do another Prince of Persia movie I want them to make the Warrior Within. Its my favorite in the series.

ScottMcTony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-31 14:12:13 »
Mine too - 100% for gameplay reasons.
This movie, extremely predictably, sucked.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-31 22:29:21 »
Haven't people learned their lesson about Movies made from games yet?  ....and games made from movies....

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-31 22:59:32 »
Only successful game made into a movie in my eyes; Advent Children Complete.

ScottMcTony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-31 23:31:06 »
It had quite amazing action scenes. And the plot quite offended my fan brain. But it is taking up 10.4 gigs on my hard drive so I cannot insult it too much.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-06-01 04:12:11 »
When I first watched that movie it kinda reminded me more of Assassins Creed rather than Prince of Persia. Maybe because when he jumped at a high place it kinda reminded me of how the Assassins jumped in high places in Assassins Creed.