Author Topic: .iro Repackage request + rescaling avalanche GUI/Hi-Res fonts?  (Read 7325 times)

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Some questions about official Avalanche releases:
1). Looking into repackaging all possible qhimm.com approved ff7 mods into .iro format for use with new modmanager: 7thHeaven. Normally this is easy business, but for mods that have installers like TA Hi-Res and Avalanche GUI the conversion process may be somewhat more difficult. I am asking for permission, first of all, to repackage official TA releases into .iro form and distribute via a subscription service (like a live version of bootleg's supported mod list).

2). I am also asking for assistance in locating/identifying the proper files from these two TA installers for injection into either lgp archives or aali's modpath, and thus into proper iro format, with options and all. This will facilitate these installers being compatible with 7thHeaven mod subscriptions. I am simply unclear what all files are coming from which mod with these installers. Some options are more clear to pick out than others. The map stuff and the menu stuff is really a dark and unknown area of the .lgp file structure for me.

3). This is more of a long-shot. I am interested in repackaging the TA fonts/AvalancheGUI menu into a format that will scale to HD output resolutions (1920x1080) as well as extreme high internal-resolutions (like 5120X3840, a multiple of 320X240, with which hardware anti-aliasing works well) without any resulting artifacts. This is currently only possible with the menus from DLPB's MenuOverhaul. I was kinda half-hoping I could take the opportunity to try to learn to fix the little issues myself, if it were possible. Here I've installed both the TA Hi-Res Menus and the Avalanche Menu Overhaul, but I have removed all of the font PNGs from the mods menu folder, as the fonts from the Avalanche GUI introduce considerable scaling problems.

As it is, if you'll look at the screenshots in their original res, the GUI is nearly perfect this way. My interest is in showing the advantage of using both high internal resolutions w/1980X1080 output AND super-sample anti-aliasing, which looks really really nice. This setup, perhaps just without the lines under the menu numbers (which are feint at high res, I admit) would make these slightly older and completely overshadowed menus a valid alternative for hi-res menus. The missing link is that for anti-aliasing to function the internal resolution needs to match the ratio of the original game res--320X240, thus the 5120X3840. Along with output res of 1920X1080, it makes the game look like this:

The font characters very occasionally have almost imperceptible transparent lines through/around them. Not terribly concerned about this, but would like to fix if possible.

The battle screens are stunning and everything is pretty much perfect font wise.

Character Name screen shows some small artifacts around the font characters, but strangely the numbers are flawless here.

Here are the main graphical issues I wanted to address. The lines under the numbers in the menu, as well the few I noticed under item icons.
You can view the original resolution screenshots by downloading them here or I think you can just navigate to them in my photobucket by clicking on them repeatedly and choosing view original. Photobucket annoys me. Anyway...

Is it feasible to amend these files from wherever they are hiding? Anyone want to lend a hand on this or just a couple opinions on if it was worth a shot? I really like this menu style because it looks pretty old and "stock" but no jagged lines. Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-06 11:00:05 by Template »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
This sounds like a massive undertaking. I'll help, but I'll need an understanding of what really needs to be done. A checklist or something of what's done/is in progress would probably be a good idea.

Template

• View Profile
Getting accurate .iro versions of the original TA files from the two official installers is definitely my priority, if it is approved. I'm not really sure how to best go about that, but it will be very uncomfortable if I have to do it the only way I can think of. The rest of the stuff (Chibi Cloud, Battle Model, Guard Scorpion, Sweeper, Battle Scenes, Save Point, and Materia) is packaged separately. 

As for the rescaling of the menus... it's just something I was kicking around. For that, unless someone has font files still left over from when they built the TA Hi-Res Overhaul, I'll have to pull the tex files out, upscale them and mess with them and turn them to PNGs. I think it's doable... possibly more doable than replicating the installers in simple lgp insert ready form.

Don't think this is gonna end up being labor for anyone but me. I guess I really just need help from the guys that did the installers, unfortunately. Of course, this is a lot to ask, and this part of my plan for a 7thHeaven subscription just may not be possible.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-06 11:02:30 by Template »

cmh175

• View Profile
You mentioned an issue of not being able to include the readme files with the mods, which is true, but while assembling an .iro you can put together descriptions in the mod.xml. Most of these mods are pretty self explanatory, so an actual description probably isn't necessary. So you could just list the credits in the description instead. Longer ones that include how they were made and stuff will have to be shortened, but you have enough space to list off those who are listed in the readme.

Template

• View Profile
I was thinking about requesting a place to add a text file from the author (if available) to the preview and/or installs.
7thHeaven, as it is turning out, will allow you to:
Preview mods, download them, install them, UNinstall them, swap them, configure them, rearrange their active order to avoid conflicts should they arrise, not to mention is allows special events to modify mod interactions with the game... For instance, if you wanted to alter a particular scene you could easily change entire groups of models without changing any game files.   

Ideally the authors of the more complex mods would get involved in the process so they have total control over what options are configurable in the modManager via the xml files. I think I may ask Iros if a readme or text file can be included in the preview or at least the installed .iro mods. To me, the readme file is the ultimate form of ownership on a mod. If a designer chooses not to include one, it's fine, but I would like to be able to totally legitimize the subscription by including the authors' notes where possible. 

cmh175

• View Profile
Maybe it's possible to include the readme in the iro, and write in an option into the xml so you can see a tab or something that says "readme" and clicking it opens the file in notepad. That may have to be added in a future release though.

Template

• View Profile
Yeah, we're getting to the Promised Land now over on the 7thHeaven thread. Most of the kinks have now been worked out. We can now imbed the authors' readmes in the .iro files, even. I'm just wondering, totally understandable if you guys don't want me tearing apart your installers (it's a job I'm not sure I want), would it maybe be OK to release model packages grabbed out of a bootleg install that include files your installers put into the lgp archives like... world_us.lgp? That was sort of the suggestion I was hearing from the bootleg people.

The main type of mod I would be missing from a 7thHeaven collection is the World Map Overhaul. And then the standalone TA packages. Really don't like the thought of hosting a collection of qhimm.com ff7 mods and not having those TA stuffs included, would just feel so incomplete.