Author Topic: Can't start the game (FF8)  (Read 2709 times)

aakrusen

• View Profile
Can't start the game (FF8)
« on: 2012-10-10 02:25:26 »
I purchased FF8 off ebay with the 4 game discs, install disc, and cardboard game case.  I put in the install disc and went through the install process.  I then opened the FF8config to make sure everything is set right.  I then fired up the game and was able to get to the main menu.  The default hand/arrow-thing is set at "Continue" and I cannot move it up or down.  I hit "X" (using keyboard, and Yes the keyboard keys are setup in the FF8config) and it takes me to the menu to load a saved game.  I don't have one yet so I hit "W" to cancel back out to the main menu.  No other keys work.  On the "X" and "W" seem to do anything.  I closed down the game and opened the FF*config again just to make sure and everything seems right.  I restarted the game and I'm stuck a the menu.  I cannot get the cursor to move up to the "New Game" option.

What do I do?  I was thinking of going down to Bestbuy and buying a PC game controller (looks like a PS3 controller) and seeing if that works.  Any suggestions?  Is this a common problem?  I played the S*** out of this game 12 years ago in college and now I want to play through it again.

aakrusen

• View Profile
Re: Can't start the game (FF8)
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-11 01:24:01 »
Nothing?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-11 02:41:11 »
This should be moved to the Troubleshooting section.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done. ~Covarr
« Last Edit: 2012-10-11 03:08:28 by Covarr »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-12 22:51:58 »
Uhh well since you haven't got help yet and also me and probably many more don't have ff8 installed...yet ;) but uhm not sure if this will help or anything but i guess you could try removing your current installation then do a (make sure to disable uac, anti-virus) fresh install with maximum install and patch it, aali's driver open it up ff8config thing as admin too set it up and open up the ff8opengl.cfg set it as fullscreen with your screen resoloution.......i doubt this will fix it kinda forgot all the in's of these games :/ and yeah get any gamepad you want im sure all of em would be compatiale with the game...maybe it's a problem with your keyboard :o..i dunno
« Last Edit: 2012-10-12 22:53:49 by e1sunz »