Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] - True Necrosis Mod  (Read 31534 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
[FF7PC-98/Steam] - True Necrosis Mod
« on: 2016-06-15 02:44:02 »
FF7 True Necrosis Installer - v1.21
https://mega.nz/file/a1l0CYwQ#ibQBiG8O5g5vz5mpbHHCQQO2ibO4o6AWfQzrCd9Vbss

FF7 True Necrosis 7H IRO - v1.21
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IXYoK1B75dezh-f9djdr9Zk3Fiw2ESZA/view?usp=sharing

So I had this notion to put into motion an idea I had for a quick mod. There's a not so well known challenge for FF7 called Necrosis MO, devised by a Gamefaqs user called Necrosis and other FF7 challenge runners, which has the player survive on mandatory Inns/restoration (no optional healing) with just Magic attacks and certain Materia at their disposal.

The True Necrosis mod (TN), takes a different spin on this. First, the player is free to use any attacks they want (Limits, etc.) and will start the game with 9999HP and 999MP for every character. However, I've tried to remove any possible sources of healing from the game so that the player needs to make this HP/MP pool last for the entire game. Any damage you take is permanent, and any MP you spend on spells is gone.

That's the general idea, anyway.

There are a couple of Materia restrictions and changes to make this work:
-) HP/MP Absorb have been removed.

-) Elemental Materia has been restricted to Nullify damage (rather than Absorb).

-) Armour & Accessories have also had their Absorb flags downgraded to Nullify.

-) Cat's Bell is unobtainable.

-) Every character nullifies the Restorative element in their AI as well; most curative spells are able to retain their original flags because of this (so that enemies can use them).

-) The Magic menu was disabled in the party menu to prevent healing with Cure, Life, etc. outside of battle; equipped spells can be checked through the Materia menu instead.

-) Curative items cannot be used in field screens (in-battle, they should heal 0).

-) Sources were disabled and cannot be used.

If you find a way to circumvent any of these, or if one of these fails, then let me know so I can get it patched up.

Installation is identical to using FF7 NT's installer; direct the patcher to the game's data folder (should be compatible with 1998 and Steam). The files being changed are the flevel and kernel/kernel2. For 7H, import the IRO via the library tab in the 7H tool and activate it.

If you do give it a whirl, feedback would be appreciated along with some updates on your progress (how much HP/MP you have at certain points of the game for instance, annoying/dangerous fights, bugs, etc). And remember to make a back-up of your data folder (or just the field and lang-en/kernel folder) before patching if using the non-7H version. Happy zombie-ing.
« Last Edit: 2021-01-14 16:55:30 by Sega Chief »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 True Necrosis Mod
« Reply #1 on: 2016-06-15 03:05:02 »
Changelog

v1.2
-) Disabled submenu for Magic in Field Menu, preventing use of Cure, Cure2, Cure3, Life, Life2, and FullCure in the menu.
-) Re-added missing field script files (Inns, field events, etc. should now no longer restore HP/MP)

[Mysterious lapse of changelog updates]

v0.2
-) Additional field scripts raising party HP were removed (should be all of them)
-) Vincent's Limits disabled (tried testing alternatives but it was a no-go)
-) Shield removed

v0.1
-) Magic Menu re-enabled during Sector 7 scenes
-) Game soft-locks when Air Buster is due to appear (likely related to no-text modification) - Attempted dirty fix by moving fight trigger + field jump/var thingies.
« Last Edit: 2021-01-14 16:35:59 by Sega Chief »

Grumpy_Edge

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] - True Necrosis Mod
« Reply #2 on: 2016-06-15 19:30:05 »
Thanks for the mod Chief, hope to have some fun with this.

Side note: Just managed to heal Cloud in the HoneyBee inn in the Wallmarket by completing the scene to get the Lingerie Key Item.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-06-15 20:06:59 »
There must be other heal functions besides the ones I searched for, prob specific character ones maybe. Thanks for letting me know.

Grumpy_Edge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-06-15 20:30:56 »
No worries, will report if/when I find anything.

I've never been so affraid of the poison status D:

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #5 on: 2016-06-15 20:51:24 »
Here is a list of those (albeit in French):
http://ff7.fr/auberges.php

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-06-15 23:02:25 »
Here is a list of those (albeit in French):
http://ff7.fr/auberges.php

This'll be handy; I was trying to search for them with opcodes in Mako.

Edit: v0.2 of the mod has been uploaded tackling the issues reported so far. I couldn't find a good alternative for Vincent's Limits though so what I've done is dummied them out and set the damage needed to fill the gauge way up. It can still be filled with Aeris' Fury Brand but should be harmless when used (just reports back 'not enough MP').
« Last Edit: 2016-06-16 16:27:16 by Sega Chief »

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-06-22 12:08:49 »
What a nice Mod idea Sega chief !! :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-06-24 18:25:15 »
What a nice Mod idea Sega chief !! :)

Cheers bud :3

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #9 on: 2016-06-26 01:20:06 »
Wow! This might make me want to try to play the game again! Nice! :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-06-26 06:02:25 »
Wow! This might make me want to try to play the game again! Nice! :)

It was very recently completed by XeroKynos, so it is possible to get through the game + beat both optional Weapon monsters; hope you enjoy it if you give it a whirl. There's a few things that need sorting out, though so an update will be going up today.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-07-19 12:02:30 »
I read in a FAQ a long time ago that if a dead person takes damage from the spike traps in Cosmo Canyon and/or the damaging traps in the Ancient Forest, the game brings them back to life. Possibly a side-effect of mechanics meant to prevent killing the person.

Not verified it myself (You'd have to "die" to those on purpose honestly) but I could see someone using it to get extra uses out of dead party members.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-07-19 19:38:43 »
I read in a FAQ a long time ago that if a dead person takes damage from the spike traps in Cosmo Canyon and/or the damaging traps in the Ancient Forest, the game brings them back to life. Possibly a side-effect of mechanics meant to prevent killing the person.

Not verified it myself (You'd have to "die" to those on purpose honestly) but I could see someone using it to get extra uses out of dead party members.

I sorted that out; same with the plants in Ancient Forest and a few other places. This reminds me though, I was supposed to update this mod to fix the kinks in it that Kynos found ^^'

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #13 on: 2016-12-15 20:29:43 »
Seem realy to be a great challenge.
Does the patch impact game translation at all (i play in retranslated french version) ?
Thanks a lot (witch you fix the issues to test this great challenge)

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #14 on: 2016-12-22 08:52:22 »
Any news of the fixed version nor translation impact ?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2018-03-31 08:43:46 »
Looks like someone has beaten your mod.
https://youtu.be/WW1lKXqrNkg

KittyJaws

• Person who isn't a person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2018-04-07 06:57:58 »
Death did more than just beat the mod, he beat it with 1 character

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2018-04-12 08:54:25 »
When my Sephiroth "compilation" mods get added to the 7th Heaven the Safer limit will heal him since it uses the transform mechanic.  So feel free to adds tweaks yourself to it as well when that happens if you feel you need to.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2019-02-18 15:52:10 »
Update on this, I'm removing the HP/MP penalties from materia to make setting up your characters less of a headache. The IRO currently has this change, but still need to update the non-7H installer to follow suit.

Maverick4031

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2019-03-28 21:28:10 »
what's the status of the non 7h install?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2019-03-29 01:00:07 »
I'll put the IRO files over into the normal installer and update it.

Edit: Updated the main, it points to the FF7 folder now rather than the Data folder and patches the executables (ff7.exe and ff7_en.exe) so make backups of those before patching.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-29 01:13:37 by Sega Chief »

doceshivas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2020-07-20 05:57:56 »
Hello everyone
I have been trying to finish this mod, however everytime i master my elemental materia it starts absorbing and thus healing me, which kills my mood to finish the mod
I tried playing on steam, played on 7th heaven, reinstalled multiple times but i have this problem no matter the platform
What should i do ? Thanks

kekko1285

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2020-08-15 10:22:51 »
Hello everyone
I have been trying to finish this mod, however everytime i master my elemental materia it starts absorbing and thus healing me, which kills my mood to finish the mod
I tried playing on steam, played on 7th heaven, reinstalled multiple times but i have this problem no matter the platform

I bet Sega Chief has been busy with the new release of NT 2.0. I'm sure he will have a look and fix it asap if it's an actual issue with the mod.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2020-08-20 23:52:24 »
Hello everyone

Looks like I missed this post.

It sounds like the kernel may not be patched properly; in the IRO files, Elemental has been restricted to 2 star so it should be capping at Null rather than Absorb. How many stars does your Elemental Materia have? If it's 4 then it may be that the kernel isn't patched.