Author Topic: Griever doesnt load  (Read 9109 times)

mikeee

• View Profile
Griever doesnt load
« on: 2004-06-23 20:40:29 »
Hi,

I downloaded griever and tried to run it but i get an error message saying "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application". I had to download the mfc70.dll file before i got this message. Im using windows XP. Can anyone help me get this working.

trickstar66

• View Profile
    • http://radicalgarbage.250free.com
Griever doesnt load
« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-06 11:15:27 »
Yeah, I get the same thing too but I just didn't use it after that. It was too much of a hassle to come all the way back and post about it so I forgot about it... Oh well... :lol:

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Griever doesnt load
« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-06 12:52:28 »
Quote from: Mikeeeeee
I downloaded griever and tried to run it but i get an error message saying "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application". I had to download the mfc70.dll file before i got this message. Im using windows XP.

eh same thing happened to me but with different application :)

Cyberman

• View Profile
Griever doesnt load
« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-06 19:01:06 »
This might not help but it is kind of a funny thing to think about..

I wonder if this is windows blaming it's failures on the application again ;)

Cyb

mikeee

• View Profile
Griever doesnt load
« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-06 21:23:47 »
Actually cyberman you're right. I believe it is because i'm using winXP and it just doesn't like me loading it. I downloaded the source and it worked fine when i recompiled it in winXP.

Cyberman

• View Profile
Griever doesnt load
« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-07 01:02:37 »
Quote from: mikeee
Actually cyberman you're right. I believe it is because i'm using winXP and it just doesn't like me loading it. I downloaded the source and it worked fine when i recompiled it in winXP.

WinXP has low compatibility for applications made for prior releases of windows.  Perhaps the creators of windows should have thought things through before making a mess that's what you get for rushing things I guess.

Quote from: Longhorn customers
Take your time do it right!

Quote from: Bill Gates
Dang, I Want to have a new product release soon competition sucks!

ewanite

Question
« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-14 13:02:04 »
Any way to fix this without recompiling? I don't have a clue about programming  :isee:

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Griever doesnt load
« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-15 07:16:45 »
Hey i solved this problem on the other program, maybe it will work for you too. Download this http://www.qhimm.com/mfc.zip, there are two dll's, unpack them to same directory as Griever (or win/system directory could work too) and run it.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Griever doesnt load
« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-15 11:42:56 »
Quote from: Cyberman
WinXP has low compatibility for applications made for prior releases of windows.  Perhaps the creators of windows should have thought things through before making a mess that's what you get for rushing things I guess.

Ironically, the compatibility problems in Windows XP are there mostly because the creators of Windows did think things through for a change. Earlier Windows was quite crappy code-wise (and new Windows still is, but about a magnitude less) and didn't enforce many constraints on us programmers, which meant we too could get away with crappy code that could destabilize the entire OS. The current compatibility issues (particularly with FF7/FF8) are the result of trying to run sloppy code in a more strict environment.

So one could argue that it's not really XP's fault, rather the damage was done long ago in allowing programmers to get away with crap code in the older Windows and is only now apparent in the better-written XP because people want and expect full compatibility between all Windows versions.

Now if you ask me, what's needed is a really big new OS that quickly becomes standard (maybe Longhorn? probably not) where the developers have focused only on OS stability and strict environment rules for us programmers, ignoring compatibility entirely. Then it would be shipped with a VirtualPC/VMware-like emulator which would run all the older programs in a safe, encapsulated environment (Windows tries to do this with old 16-bit programs etc.). As a transition help, you could also provide a small library allowing programs written for the new OS run (decently) on, say, Windows 2000 and up.

In a few years, almost all games and programs would be written for and compliant with a stable, expandable environment instead of (as now) for Windows XP where Microsoft is desperately trying to improve an OS where you need to leave everything as it is to maintain compatibility.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Griever doesnt load
« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-15 13:15:10 »
I think it was in one of the ".NET Show" episodes on Longhorn (I think it was the most recent one, actually) that I heard something about this.  I don't remember it exactly, but it was something like...

...Longhorn is going to be more strict about where applications are allowed to put things.  I.e., applications will not be able to replace files in the system folders or throw stuff wherever they want in the registry.  To maintain compatibility with legacy applications, these applications will be "tricked" into thinking they have access to that stuff by allowing them to write to their own partial copies of the registry and so forth.

Sounds like a kind of good idea... one step toward making the OS more strict about itself.  But don't take my word for it, I just vaguely remember hearing this...  I'll look around later and see if I can find it again.

Gibdos

Griever doesnt load
« Reply #10 on: 2005-02-25 21:43:14 »
Sorry, for pushing this old thread. Didn't want to open a new one ^^
Well, I have the same error, when trying to start the newest Griever 0.82
I got the 0.81b from another site.
If there are no greater improvements or something like that, I can use the older V.
Hope, somebody can tell me what changed from 81b to 82