Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1262146 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #2325 on: 2013-11-14 07:47:31 »
Cheers for those.  And yeah I misread Tyrfing page, it is unlikely to be that, even given the description. Gram/Balmung is more likely. In any case, what does that Japanese wiki say with regards to the weapon name?  That it is related to a person?

Also, you aren't going to believe it but I am doing a second run through of the game.  This one is the very final one and so far it's going exactly as I have always wanted...  a few mistakes but very minor now.  It's looking and feeling like a finished article, and with Covarr's check on top, it will be virtually as good as I think it can be.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-14 14:15:49 by DLPB »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: 2013-11-15 04:40:22 »
Lol like we had any doubts you'd be doing that again :D

As for the wiki, it just says that some of that guy's swords we're named as Zantetsuken by Iai practitioners due to their performance, so as a term it probably hasn't been around for much more than 50 years. It then began to be used in fiction starting with perhaps Lupin III.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: 2013-11-15 14:03:53 »
L-Junon and R-Junon are used and seen in game.  I will amend to left and right.

edit.

Well... one of them is.  I am not sure both exist and that's a problem.  Do both R and L exist?  The only one I can find is "L" and that could stand for lower, not left. 

What maps does R-Junon appear on?
« Last Edit: 2013-11-15 14:17:57 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: 2013-11-16 10:33:34 »
Not sure if I showed this one before, but it's a good one...

old
Johnny
“Hey, is it really you?”{NEW}
“We were in SOLDIER,
   and childhood friends before that.
   You were such a playboy.”{NEW}

New
Johnny
“Hey,it's really you!”{NEW}
“Mr Ex-Soldier,
  childhood friend,
  travellin' lady's man.”{NEW}

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2329 on: 2013-11-16 11:00:58 »
L-Junon and R-Junon are used and seen in game.  I will amend to left and right.

edit.

Well... one of them is.  I am not sure both exist and that's a problem.  Do both R and L exist?  The only one I can find is "L" and that could stand for lower, not left. 

What maps does R-Junon appear on?
L-Junon:
- junonl1
- junonl2
- junonl3

R-Junon:
- junon
- junone2
- junone3 (probably not shown, but it's there)
- junonr1
- junonr2
- junonr3
- junonr4

It *is* left and right, I'm 100% sure of it. Upper Junon is divided in two: left and right.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: 2013-11-16 11:04:35 »
It would appear you have fixed a major translation error for me.  8-)  I and the original game have used lower for all the l's and just not bothered translating r at all.

I will amend this.

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2331 on: 2013-11-16 11:07:03 »
You can also find these names in the Debug Room (not sure if you care about it xD).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: 2013-11-16 11:11:08 »
I didn't realize that the original localizer had guessed what L was...  he just guessed at lower.

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2333 on: 2013-11-16 11:12:01 »
No, it was translated as "El" and "Al".

Edit: No, you're right. L-Junon was translated as "Lower Junon". But I did see "Aljunon" somewhere...
« Last Edit: 2013-11-16 11:25:05 by Thisguyaresick2 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: 2013-11-16 11:21:51 »
No, it was translated as "El" and "Al".

It wasn't.  I have the original maps here, and the main ones show Lower Junon.

Junonl1, 2 and 3.  These are the ones that are most seen in game.  In fact, many of the others probably aren't seen at all.  I don't recall ever seeing "L-Junon" in the original game, IN game.  Certainly these 3 files are the main ones and show "lower"

The Japanese files show "L"
« Last Edit: 2013-11-16 11:24:27 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2335 on: 2013-11-16 11:30:04 »
Junonr1, r2 and r3 are normally seen in game too.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: 2013-11-16 11:56:33 »
Junonr1, r2 and r3 are normally seen in game too.

Yeah but they were incorrectly "Lower Junon" originally is what I meant. (Not in Japanese game but in the original localized version of the west).

edit.

Basically this is what has happened in original game.

L-Junon has become Lower Junon
R-Junon has become Upper Junon and aljunon (on junone2 and junone3)

The localizer has simply amended left and right to lower and upper, but completely missed junone2 and 3, which have accidentally been left as "L" and not "R" (because of the kana issue with L and R) .  It's possible I will use Lower and Upper too depending on the geometry of Junon... Left and Right sounds very unusual and literal.

In any case the names of the maps themselves are correct...  JunoneE (using E are mainly right side of junon), JunonR (like Junonr3, right side of junon) and JunonL (like junonl1, left side of Junon)

Whoever named the maps either had a grasp of the kana for the 2 letters: エル (L) アル (R) or else knew the geometry of Junon.  Unfortunately, whoever translated Junone2 and 3, did not.

You can see how absurd Japanese kana is in cases like this...

エル (L)
E-ru (ru here is intended to be lu, so E-lu)

アル (R)
A-ru (ru here is intended to be ru, so A-ru)

The mistake with junone2 and 3 is that they didn't realize a sole letter was intended, or that R was intended, and so went for "al".

What is more absurd is that the Japanese font had the ability to use the roman letters, and they have done in other places, so why they would use kana here is beyond me. Not to mention that using kana to represent letters is just daft to begin with.

It is also likely that game testers found a lot of these issues and they got amended.  The maps showing "aljunon", to my knowledge, are so brief that it is entirely possible they escaped because a tester did not open the menu on them.

Conclusion:  Japan needs to either start using the proper English words, or else come up with a lot more fixes to its kana alphabet.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-16 15:03:58 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: 2013-11-16 16:45:04 »
No... it is literally tail, although tail feathers might be what they are getting at.  In any case "Phoenix Tail Feathers" isn't going to work as an item name.  People can use the original word anyway, as the installer allows for canon series names.  I used tail because it's obvious that this means the feathers... or should be. When you are holding a bird tail, you are holding its feathers.

It's worth noting that Down is a type of feather. So the translators weren't a million miles away :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_feather

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: 2013-11-16 16:47:03 »
Also: Wow. I can't believe we're still finding corrections. Amazing.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: 2013-11-16 17:19:13 »
It's worth noting that Down is a type of feather. So the translators weren't a million miles away :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_feather

Yeah, I know why they chose down, and I find it a pretty decent localization to "Tail", which is why I allow it in the installer :)

Edit.

I have now played through the game a final time and made last corrections.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-16 21:30:07 by DLPB »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: 2013-11-16 23:52:39 »
So then..... *drum roll*

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: 2013-11-17 00:16:59 »
Can it be drum roll time pls

petafeng

• View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: 2013-11-17 06:41:07 »
Hmm played from start till red XIII hometown. found 2 bugs/mistakes so far.

When you first meet Aerith's mum in her house, i remember a sentence is suppose to be a '?' instead of '!'. Sorry i forgot the exact sentence. I think it's ur going out again or something.

the some of the staffs at gold saucer area, initially appears lying down (shotdown animation) instead of standing up . Until you talk to them, then they'll appear standing up. So far encounter this in battle square and the entrance.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: 2013-11-17 10:59:16 »
Hmm played from start till red XIII hometown. found 2 bugs/mistakes so far.

When you first meet Aerith's mum in her house, i remember a sentence is suppose to be a '?' instead of '!'. Sorry i forgot the exact sentence. I think it's ur going out again or something.

the some of the staffs at gold saucer area, initially appears lying down (shotdown animation) instead of standing up . Until you talk to them, then they'll appear standing up. So far encounter this in battle square and the entrance.

Read the very top of the first post on this thread.  As for the other problem, it has nothing to do with this project.  And the sentence may change, because this is a full relocalization.

================

In other news... there seems to be some World Map dialogues that I cannot get to show, and they may be unused:

{CLOUD}
“I'm forgetting something…”

I thought it was to do with Yuffie mission but it wasn't. 

#cy 176
{TIFA}
“Please,chocobo,
  wait right there!”

There are similar ones for Cid and Cloud.  At first I thought this occurred when you got off  a chocobo when you had got across the marshes past the Midgardsormr but it isn't.. the chocobo just runs off.  So, any ideas?  Unused?

« Last Edit: 2013-11-17 11:04:13 by DLPB »

petafeng

• View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: 2013-11-17 14:20:05 »
I know where this is used, but it was used by Cloud.

this will occur when you first exit midgar and on your way to Kalm town. Bypass the Kalm town, grab a chocobo and head straight for the Cave where Sephiroth salughtered a midgar zolom. At the cave when you dismount from your chocobo, Cloud will say "Chocobo please wait here" and the chocobo will stay there, usually the default behavior is the chocobo will run away.
Note that cloud will not ask the chocobo to stay if you went to Kalm town, hear Cloud's story and then proceed.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: 2013-11-17 14:27:00 »
I know where this is used, but it was used by Cloud.

this will occur when you first exit midgar and on your way to Kalm town. Bypass the Kalm town, grab a chocobo and head straight for the Cave where Sephiroth salughtered a midgar zolom. At the cave when you dismount from your chocobo, Cloud will say "Chocobo please wait here" and the chocobo will stay there, usually the default behavior is the chocobo will run away.
Note that cloud will not ask the chocobo to stay if you went to Kalm town, hear Cloud's story and then proceed.

Ah.  So they've programmed it in basically to stop a player ending up stuck across the marsh with no way to carry on the game, basically.  Smart. (even though you can make it cross the marsh without a chocobo).  That also means the Tifa dialogue is unused since they aren't main player at this point in the game.

Thanks for that!  Do you know the "I'm forgetting something" text?  Where is that from?
« Last Edit: 2013-11-17 14:30:34 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: 2013-11-17 19:01:53 »
Anyway that should be the last of the questions to Luksy.  I've said that a few times now but I really have finished this time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnKl04es5qkqdGdUWHktN09WRXNheHJ4NFhrakl6Vnc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

In other news...  it turns out a text in itown1a has been COMPLETELY MADE UP in the English game.  The person in itown1a explains that the chocobo has a green stone hidden under its wing... but in the English game we get this instead:

“Everything must come to an end.
   And someday it's gonna be your turn.
   The world's gotta end sometime.”{NEW}
“Everybody goes sometime or another.
   And everyone gets left too.
   It's just fate…”{NEW}
“It's sad, but there's nothing
   that can be done about it.
   So that's why I'm prayin'
   for all of you.”

The Japanese is more like (I haven't touched this entry yet so it sounds awkward below)

“Hey…
  Want to know something cool?”{NEW}
“That cheapskate's chocobo has
  a beautiful green stone
  hidden under its wing…”{NEW}
“It has to be some kind of
  jewel or something!
  That chocobo won't be needing it.”

The original English game has just made that text up from NOWHERE.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-17 22:34:46 by DLPB »

petafeng

• View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: 2013-11-18 00:17:51 »
for the "i'm forgetting something"

If i'm not wrong (based on my last play on FF7 years ago), you'll encounter I'm forgetting something The Junon area in Disc 2 where you are on your way to get underwater huge materia. the exact spot is helipad landing area (if u choose outside of Junon for the free heli taxi service). this is also where the tv rating side-quest the area exactly before entering the 'shortcut'.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: 2013-11-18 00:29:35 »
The original English game has just made that text up from NOWHERE.

I thought the English translation began with unfinished game files...? It sounds like the text may have changed it at some point, but this slipped through?

Also: I swear I've seen the "I'm forgetting something..." text -- but, ironically, I can't remember where.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: 2013-11-18 00:33:04 »
Can you explain further the exact time and necessary action?  I can't get it to appear.