Author Topic: [PC] p model simple editor - Kimera (0.97b)  (Read 501806 times)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Re: Kimera: FF7 p model simple editor
« Reply #675 on: 2013-07-26 00:39:01 »
Ok i managed to do a conversion but i end up loosing all of the textures. :-(

ASE seems to convert just about right.

...............But the kimara program can't load it, any ways of getting the textures to port straight over?

Are you using bitturn to convert to 3ds? Bitturn destroys 3ds files, and removes textures. Instal Meshlab http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ It can convert most formats. If you need to convert a .p so you can load it in Blender then use bitturn and export to .obj.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: 2013-07-26 19:16:20 »
Hello everyone.

Sorry for not answering for so long, but I needed a break. I'm glad you could figure out how to get those pesky dlls registered. Thanks for your help.

As for the invisible models, I must confess it's something I still need to look into. I think I know where things went wrong. Most lilkey the alpha channel has bad values, though I thought it was not used at all. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

TheHierarchy

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: 2013-07-26 19:40:47 »
Well, I just tried out a few suggestions along with some of my own programs, and as "Kaldarasha " states; there's no real solution to export/import successfully without having to redo the textures.  :-(

Kimera is a program that currently reads only in .3DS; which is a format that expels all textures.  I was however lucky to find an other format in Biturn that one of my programs can read without discarding textures; ".LWO" Lightwave.

.....but the End result is still the same so, It would be nice if Kimera could read .LWO or more extensions. that would give much more flexibility to moders.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 19:51:02 by TheHierarchy »

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: 2013-07-26 20:34:49 »
Sorry TheHierarchy, but adding more formats support is not in my plans. The source code is available, though, so anyone else could write it.

Anyway, the 3DS format does support multiple materials with diffuse colors. Maybe Biturn doesn't export material data, but it certainly would fit. Shaded models, on the other hand, would need per vertex color which is certainly out of the specs of that format.

Anyway, I don't think any of this will really help you here TheHierarchy. The real solution is fixing the discrepancy between Kimera and FF7 engine color handling.

TheHierarchy

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: 2013-07-26 20:51:24 »
Sorry TheHierarchy, but adding more formats support is not in my plans. The source code is available, though, so anyone else could write it.

I see, ok then.

The real solution is fixing the discrepancy between Kimera and FF7 engine color handling.

yeah, that would be straight to the point......with all of this working around I've been doing, I guess somehow i ended up in the Himalayas.  :-)

many thanks if you or anyone could find a fix to the invisible models.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 20:54:23 by TheHierarchy »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: 2013-07-26 22:43:52 »
Kimera also has a problem saving texture slot information. This will result in an invisible model in the game because no texture is loaded. Use a program like PCreator to assign the textures to the model.

TheHierarchy

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: 2013-07-26 23:21:13 »
Kimera also has a problem saving texture slot information. This will result in an invisible model in the game because no texture is loaded. Use a program like PCreator to assign the textures to the model.

Do you have a link?

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: 2013-07-26 23:40:57 »
From the tools section of the Big List of Mods in FAQ Tutorial forum:  :)

Tools, Drivers and Patches

FILE                              AUTHOR                  DESCRIPTION                     INFO             NOTE

PCreator.exe                                                    Tool to edit Models                           FILE MIRROR

TheHierarchy

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: 2013-07-27 04:37:40 »
The program loads the models and saves them in FFVII format but It seems to be the same situation, PCreator only loads .3DS files, which strips all detail.

I loaded up one of Biturn's .LWO conversions (which doesn't strip any detail) and converted it into a 3DS file. according to Lightwave painted polygons are not recognized as real textures;

which is probably why they default on the color. If that's the case for these particular characters models (As they were made) i might as well just wait for a fix on the kimera program and it's method of saving.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: 2013-07-27 22:02:20 »
I fixed the proeblem with invisble polygons. As expected, the alpha value was wrong. It wasn't even initialized, in fact, which implies any value could have ended up being written (although it seems it was 0 pretty much always). I'll fix it to 255 so you will only need to save the model again.

But befor uploading the new version, I'd like to fix the texture IDs bug too.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: 2013-07-27 22:22:52 »
I fixed the proeblem with invisble polygons. As expected, the alpha value was wrong. It wasn't even initialized, in fact, which implies any value could have ended up being written (although it seems it was 0 pretty much always). I'll fix it to 255 so you will only need to save the model again.

But befor uploading the new version, I'd like to fix the texture IDs bug too.

Is here a tool contest without my knowing?  :o
So many new great tools and tool updates! It's great to see that it's fixed now.
One question do you think it's possible to set gradians to a polygon? At the moment, I only can do it,
if I delete a polygon and then fill the hole with a new polygon.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: 2013-07-27 22:40:18 »
You mean setting directly the color of a vertex? Yes, it could be done. It's not hard. I'll have to make room on the interface for the new button though. It's very crowded.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: 2013-07-27 22:43:56 »
I think a better default value for the alpha would be 128, that's what it's set to in all the stock models IIRC.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: 2013-07-27 22:57:51 »
That would be awesome! :-D

Now I remember what I actually want to ask: The global prelight function is very useful, but I need to set the colors of the light to give the battle models a more similar look to the original ones.
Oh, and the prelight doesn't work for battle models in the current (.97) release.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: 2013-07-27 23:52:49 »
I think a better default value for the alpha would be 128, that's what it's set to in all the stock models IIRC.
Excelent, thanks for the suggestion Aali. By the way, how is the alpha interpreted by the engine when the Average blending mode is used? Is it Alpha/2 or something like that? Does it work the same for the other blending modes?

By the way, I'm having trouble understanding what's the real meaning of the TexID field on the P models groups. It doesn't seem to have any real effect in-game no matter the value I write to it. Where is the actual texture index specified at?
EDIT: Never mind, now I see the TexID field is duplicated at the Hundrets chunck at offset 0x10 and that's the information FF7 actually uses.

That would be awesome! :-D

Now I remember what I actually want to ask: The global prelight function is very useful, but I need to set the colors of the light to give the battle models a more similar look to the original ones.
Oh, and the prelight doesn't work for battle models in the current (.97) release.
Wow, yes, it's certainly broken. I'll have to look into it. I'm also working on per vertex ambient occlusion which I think will look much better.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-28 10:51:18 by Borde »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #690 on: 2013-07-28 12:09:54 »
In some situations the alpha is overwritten at runtime to get the right blending effect (128 for average, 64 for mode3) so in those cases the alpha from the vertices makes no difference whatsoever. I think it's when the game forces blending for a model which normally doesn't have blending enabled that it actually uses the alpha from the .p file and 128 just makes it look right for the most common blending mode (average). Looks like they made a bit of an ugly fix just to make it work.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: 2013-07-28 14:09:09 »
Ok, thanks for the information Aali.

EDIT: Done. You can grab 0.97a at the first page.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-28 19:26:49 by Borde »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: 2013-07-29 04:58:56 »
Borde, great to see you back!  I was hoping to sneak in a request on the interpolation side of things before a release, but I see I'm too late.  If you'd be interested in just a little more tinkering, let me know.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: 2013-07-29 07:22:24 »
Oh, by the way Aali, I've got one more question about blending modes. I found out all the battlefields have their pieces set to Average. Yet they appear completly opaque in game. Are their values overwritten in real time or is there something I'm missing?

Borde, great to see you back!  I was hoping to sneak in a request on the interpolation side of things before a release, but I see I'm too late.  If you'd be interested in just a little more tinkering, let me know.
I'm open to suggestion Obesebear. What were you thinking about?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: 2013-07-29 09:48:31 »
Blend mode doesn't matter if blending is turned off

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: 2013-07-29 15:20:52 »
great to see you back Borde!

jusete

• https://www.paypal.me/JRGV
    • View Profile
    • Donate here
« Reply #696 on: 2013-07-29 18:37:40 »
hello! First sorry for my english, i´m from spain and use a traductor  :-[ :-[

I have a problem to put the textures on a model, I explain:

I have the mogu head model and I make it with biturn to open it in 3dsmax, I put a texture and edit the UVWs properly. I open with pcreator and placed texture correctly, I assign the number of textures and save it in ".P" format. Then open it with Khimera, edit the size and position, I put the right texture and save. I extract with lgptools char.lgp file and replace all the files that I created with Khimera and return to compile the file. I replace the new char.lgp created and the model disappears, but when I remove the texture the the model appears. What am I doing wrong?

This post is all explained with pictures:http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14470.0

Please I need help!
thanks

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: 2013-07-29 18:43:59 »
I was wondering how feasible it would be to change the dialog box asking "is this animation a loop" to "which animations loop".   Granted, a version like that would probably only be useful for me converting everything to 60fps.  But it would save a lot of time if I could type 1,2, 4, 7, 16  and have it interpolate all of the animations and loop the ones I specified. 

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: 2013-07-29 18:59:02 »
I think it would be better to have an array, which you could check for every animation separate, so Kimera knows automatically, which animation is a looped one.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-29 19:01:05 by Kaldarasha »

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: 2013-07-29 19:02:21 »
and a system which imports-exports animation sets in the most common/useful formats  :D