Author Topic: Help Identifying This Texture - Joker  (Read 14109 times)

JordieBo

• View Profile
Help Identifying This Texture - Joker
« on: 2011-12-29 02:05:49 »
Right, for my A2 Graphic Design project I'm doing computer games, so I'm recreating a few textures/posters etc.
I'm trying to recreate the texture for a monster called Joker (I think) but I can't figure out what that bit on the bottom left is supposed to be (The pixelated bit)

I respect constructive critisism but the texture's not finished yet so please don't point out obvious flaws  :P
If you can figure out what the bottom left bit is supposed to be then please say!

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying This Texture - Joker
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-29 09:37:33 »
could be a faulty texture. I think sometimes they tend to forget pieces like that. Maybe it appears when it's an empty draw and he attacks? :-o !? Love the greek cents by the way  8-) :P

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-29 12:51:41 »
could be a faulty texture. I think sometimes they tend to forget pieces like that. Maybe it appears when it's an empty draw and he attacks? :-o !? Love the greek cents by the way  8-) :P

Ah right! Well I'd check for myself but I haven't got a save anywhere near where he spawns. I think he appears just outside Kalm? If anybody has a save around there could they throw it my way?

Haha, but yeah I wasn't feeling making money from scratch so I just did a bit of editing ;)

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-29 14:29:52 »
It spawns right outside corel village. Where barrett get punched and goes into an emo outrage

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-29 14:39:33 »
Thanks, also I'm going to sound like a complete d*ck right now;

But I started this texture months ago, and now I've completely forgotten what program I used to convert tex files to an image file |:

------------EDIT--------------

I remember! It's Biturn, haha.
Also I've just figured out it's part of his jacket :)
« Last Edit: 2011-12-29 15:01:37 by JordieBo »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-29 15:09:43 »
Those are very nice. Are you planning on putting them in game?

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-12-29 15:46:37 »
Those are very nice. Are you planning on putting them in game?

Yep! I can donate them to TA if you like? I'm putting them in now actually, I just need an appropriate save to test them out. Unless of course you know a program that'll let me fight an enemy of my choosing?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-12-29 16:15:00 »
That would be awesome  :D

As for fighting them I am not sure. I suppose you could edit a battle. The easiest way would be to download eslava's save pack though.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9625.msg172993#msg172993
« Last Edit: 2011-12-29 16:21:57 by sl1982 »

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-12-29 17:00:21 »
Turns out I had a save anyway! :)

But anyway, obviously I know nothing about changing textures because I just got an error message that came with a crash dump. I don't know how to read the crash dump and the APP file is blank. Any ideas? The game crashed as soon as I entered a battle, I'm not quite sure what I've done wrong.

To add the textures to the model I opened it up in Kimera, selected the texture and chose "Change Texture", two of the textures were jpg and one was bmp, not sure why I did it that way, I made them months ago... But either way, they worked in Kimera, so I clicked Save Model. I then dragged all the files (ekaa and so on) to "Desktop/Aali/Battle" and did the whole cmd - lgp process to create a battle.lgp file. I then put this in data/battle, but when entering battle the game crashed.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-12-29 17:01:35 »
Are the card effects not in the magic folder? If they are the easiest way to add them in is to use modpath.

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-12-29 17:10:48 »
Are the card effects not in the magic folder? If they are the easiest way to add them in is to use modpath.

No I don't think they are, they constantly spin underneath the model so I'd have to replace them at some time or another. Anyway I'm not 100% how I go around changing the magic textures using the modpath.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-12-29 17:47:44 »
Oh, well i am not sure then. Ask obesebear, he is pretty good with that sort of thing.

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-12-29 18:17:26 »
Oh wait I think I know what's up, if I remember correctly you need to save textures as an 8-bit bmp file, only problem is I'm not sure how to do that seeing as it's greyed out in Photoshop! I tried it in Paint but the quality was terrible. Might have to message obesebear.

-------------EDIT----------------

Forget everything I've said, I can't figure it out. If anybody wants to try get these textures in-game then be my guest, but please tell me how you did it!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NFKQVSLH

It's for ekaa in battle.lgp
« Last Edit: 2011-12-29 19:04:37 by JordieBo »

Tollen

• ill sleep when im dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-12-29 20:54:09 »
ok jordie i change texture files to Bmp and game runs,but when the card shows up on the screen its still the old texture but it looks like its using your texture just for the model.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-12-29 22:08:25 »
i have only tried the back of the card so far but in-game and it looks pretty nice (although slightly off center), here is a screenshot of the back of the card

and to put these into the game you need to use the MOD path, its fairly easy to use, you just set it in the CFG and use show missing textures to figure out the filenames for the PNG's and hey presto you are done.

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-29 22:27:32 »
i have only tried the back of the card so far but in-game and it looks pretty nice (although slightly off center), here is a screenshot of

-Screenshot-

and to put these into the game you need to use the MOD path, its fairly easy to use, you just set it in the CFG and use show missing textures to figure out the filenames for the PNG's and hey presto you are done.

Ah thank you! Where did you save the PNG's? Were they part of the magic folder or battle folder?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-29 22:45:18 »
OK i have only done the back of the card for heart and joker, but to do it all i did was put it in
Mods\DK\Magic\FF7\DATA\BATTLE\special\heart1
mods is Aalis folder and DK is the name of the folder inside mods which DLBP and i use for mods. And like i said, if you edit the ff7_opengl.cfg and turn on the line "Show Missing textures" then play the battle and it should say what the PNG's need to be called, in this case your PNG "ekad.png" needed to be renamed to "CARD_00.png"
so the full path for me is
C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\mods\DK\Magic\FF7\DATA\BATTLE\special\heart1\CARD_00.png
and that is just for the back of the hearts card, if you want other cards you modify where it says heart1 to for example Joker1.
hope this helps.

EDIT:- after switching on "Show Missing textures" you need to read the App.log to see the filenames.
and now i am off to sleep, its midnight here
« Last Edit: 2011-12-29 22:58:54 by kranmer »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-30 03:32:08 »
Disregard my PM.  Though I am fairly certain you'll find the cards he throws in the magic.lgp, the ones underneath him will definitely be something like EKAC or EKAD.    As for battle model textures, I'd still suggest using image2tex to convert the bmp of your textures to .tex files.  Then of course you'll need to make sure to get rid of the .tex extension.    If you're still struggling tomorrow I'll look into it further.

Kyo13

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-01-11 21:58:38 »
Good to know how to see required names for textures ! Thanks Krammer !

This is a website I found, in my way to identify field models on char.lgp, doesn't seems to have battle/magic file list :/ but anyway it can be useful to modders if they don't already know it  : http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/User:JBed/FFVII

Sometimes it's very useful to gain time ! If nobody has time for trying import the textures maybe I can ?! Then post it back for use labelling it "JordieBo" ?! Let me know, this is the kind of thing I can do... well I'm not only making that but I can !
« Last Edit: 2012-01-11 22:07:49 by Kyo13 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-05-13 10:04:58 »
I know this hasn't been posted in but it is relevant.  The joker model comes with these textures but they only appear underneath the enemy.  Most people won't see the ones flying around underneath him (and they are 3 MB in size... which is overkill for that).

However, these textures are very good and need to be used for the actual magic.  That means the above need to be placed into the modpath properly.  Did anyone release the above (and the tarot ones that have also been made) as pngs for use with the modpath?
« Last Edit: 2012-05-13 10:10:26 by DLPB »