Author Topic: TEX format and WINDOW.BIN file update...  (Read 8430 times)

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
TEX format and WINDOW.BIN file update...
« on: 2005-07-30 17:45:57 »
Hello there :P

"Intro - ...duction..."

I was debugging ff7.exe to find some information useful when trying to change font used in-game. Why would i do that for? Because a team from Poland - FF7-PL, is making a polish version of FF7 (which is my favourite game... again :)). You know who M4v3r is, so I think I don't need to say anything else. The polish font in their release occupies some in-my-humble-opinion-very-important characters, so I started to make my own font. I don't know that for sure, but i think I found out some info, which wasn't posted here, on Qhimm's forum. So... that's what I've found out. Listen up...

"First chapter - Why mine is bigger than yours?"

FF7 uses an array to see how much pixels each letter has. The address in memory (after loading ff7.exe EN v1.0):
 - 0x0098F458

In that array, each byte corresponds to a single character. To decode the data stored, all you have to do is get the byte for a character, and look for the corresponding data in the array. After that:
 - to get a character's width, AND a just-found-byte with 0x1F  (00011111b)
 - to get a character's padding (well I don't know if that's what it's called, but it's just a number of pixels before the character), SHR just-found-byte by 5

Example:
To get a quotation mark "values", we:
 - get the byte for that character - it's stored in address 0x0098F458 (base address) + 0x1F (the hex value for quotation mark). It should be 0x27 (or 00100111b or 39);
 - AND it with 1F, or modulo it by 0x20 (32) - we get 7
 - SHR it (the byte read 0x27) by 5 (or divide by 32) - we get 1
And... that's it. Remeber that these values are in 320x240 resolution mode (not really sure about that), to get the size in the 640x480 mode multiply the results by 1.666667, and truncate the non-integer part (even if it's 4.9998, we get 4).

OK... We do know, how to get the character size. But how to change it? There are some methods. We can do it by changing the data stored in the memory for example. We get the immediate effect. To those who don't want it to be a temporary change, we have to change data in the file. Which file? Oh... that's the 3rd file of WINDOW.BIN pack-file. We have to unpack it, change it and repack it (the worst part :P). It wasn't me who discovered, that the data is stored in that particular file (i just knew that it's in WINDOW.BIN, then I came here to see if it has already be decoded, and found out that I've just reinvented the wheel), so don't call me a leecher :P

"Second chapter - Oh mummie, that dog after some paintings looks cool"

We all know, that the font itself is in menu_us.lgp file, but do we know how to change it? Well... You do :P I didn't. Used Mirex's Biturn (omg, that's a good piece of work, THX Mirex for writing it), and just changed the font. Then i started to wonder... maybe i can write a program for quick replacing the font graphics and widths. I have a program to repack the modified file which contains the "width-data", I know the TEX format good enough... wait a minute... I didn't :P

After some debugging work, that's what i found out (i know, that some bytes where know for long, but that's what i have found out about reading TEX files by ff7):

TEX_FILE_HEADER is 0xEC long, and contains of 59 int-s. Some of them listed below (by offset):
0x00 - TEX file "version", if it's not 0x00000001, the game will not load it.
0x04 - zero... always... i think :P
0x2C - zero?
0x30 - MYSTERIOUS_DATA_NUM_OF_ENTRIES
0x3C - RES_X (already known...)
0x40 - RES_Y
0x44 - zero?
0x48 - zero?
0x4C - PALLETTE_ACTIVE (if it's set, then there is a pallete data right after the header, if it says zero, the pallette-data is missing from the file)
0x58 - PALLETE_NUM_OF_ENTRIES (to get pallete data width, multiply by 4)
0x60 - PALLETTE_PTR (Doesn't really matter. It's always zero-ed when loading the header, after reading pallette data here is where the pointer to that data is stored)
0x68 - BYTES_PER_PIXEL for the bitmap data (bitmap data comes in the file after the header and the pallette data)
(here some unknown data)
0xBC - MYSTERIOUS_DATA_ACTIVE (if it's set, then there should be some data after the bitmap part of the file)

0xC0 - MYSTERIOUS_DATA_PTR (same as PALLETTE_PTR, it could be 0 as well...)
0xC4 - It's set after loading the header (always with 0xFF... i think)
0xC8 - Set after loading the header (when debugging it was 0x04, mostly)
0xD4 - BITMAP_PTR (it's set after the memory allocation and reading the bitmap data, so... who cares)
0xD8 - don't know :) (hmm... it's zero-ed like the pointers, but i didn't see it containing any data after loading the pallette... weird)

"Third chapter - Can you tell me HOW you DO IT?"

How the game reads the TEX file?
 - Allocates a memory (on the heap... or maybe not... forgot :P) for a header and reads it into the memory.
 - if 0x00 DWORD says 0x00000001 then keeps loading, otherwise stops reading that file
 - if 0x4C DWORD is set, reads the pallette (4*0x58 DWORD) and stores the data pointer in the 0x60; if the pointer is NULL, ff7 stops reading that tex-file
 - reads the bitmap data (0x3C DWORD * 0x40 DWORD * 0x68, or RES_X*RES_Y*BYTES_PER_PIXEL) and stores the pointer in 0xD4 DWORD; again, if the pointer is NULL, stops reading that file
 - if the mysterious data is present (0xBC DWORD is set) reads the data (0x30 DWORD * 1) and stores it's pointer; if it's NULL... blah

After that, it does some mysterious and not really interesting things...

"Epilogue - Stupid talk..."

Well... that's it for now :P I hope it's gonna help someone (hmm... if you are good enough to decode my post, you ain't gonna need it, 'coz you're a super-human with abnormal abilities). When i get any other data which is somehow connected with ff7, I'll post it (or not... if I got banned before that). Have a nice life :P

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-31 09:10:53 »
Hi
Info I can provide is my description for TEX format: http://mirex.mypage.sk/FILES/ff7_tex.txt but there is not much of info really.
And I think that Ficedula has a tool which can convert BMP to TEX correctly ... try here: http://ficedula.cjb.net/  ... maybe it was TexTool  ? By that you could probably change the fonts and then compile them back into the game by some LGP packer.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-31 09:53:58 »
Hello, and thx for the reply (gee Mirex answered to my post :P)

Ficedula's programs were usually a great help, but this one... Yeah... that's a program which i tried first, but it simply didn't work with those files (maybe 'coz I'm using Win2003 - NT family - always some access violation). So I debugged the ff7, and found out how it deals with these files.
You can read the results of my work above. As I had never seen those information elsewhere,  thought it could be useful. Guess it's not... maybe that's why no1 posted it before...

Anyway, I had also done some discovering about (as Ficedula says) "CRC code" in lgp files. I know how it works, and how to make your own "CRC code". I'll make some new topic (or maybe i shouldn't? I didn't find it in this forum, but just tell if I shouldn't post it).

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-31 10:31:02 »
The 'CRC' code is really a file index ... latest version of LGP Tools can write it out correctly, I think.

Not sure if there's already a topic on it in the forums, although I think Qhimm was the original source of the information.

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-31 11:28:15 »
Quote from: ficedula
Not sure if there's already a topic on it in the forums, although I think Qhimm was the original source of the information.

There could be a topic... if there is one, then I just don't know how to find it. Also i haven't found that in the gears so... maybe you could update your docs with that info? Guess there are a "few" people interested in ff7-tech-related-stuff that know this forum and your site, so whenever they would need that info, it would be there...

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-31 19:07:12 »
I've been searching for a topic about the lgp CRC section, too, but there doesn't seem to be anyone...

The only thing that's left is looking through Qhimm's sources (if he has released one that contains that LGP thingy) or wait for Qhimm to answer in this topic...

- Alhexx

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-31 19:51:03 »
Oh...

I know that my english is a bit crappy but... I said that I've discovered how this thing works (yesterday :P), and I'm willing to make a new topic about that... After that Ficedula said it is already known. Then I asked, if he could update his docs (on his home-page) or do whatever, just to let people know that it's already worked-out. You know... so they wouldn't reinvent a wheel (as I did :-?).

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-07-31 20:21:25 »
I've updated my docs to incorporate the information;  http://www.sylphds.net/f2k3/php/docs.php

The explanation is pretty poor because I cranked it out just now, but I think it's more or less accurate.

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-07-31 21:15:25 »
Sorry, www.sylphds.net/f2k3/docs/lgpspec.txt is unavailable.

You should check your spelling - all the other files are available, but not the lgp one... :(

- Alhexx

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-07-31 21:21:11 »
FFS.

Should be available now; it was a permissions error, the file was there, but you couldn't access it...

Just shifted to my new host yesterday; apparently, unlike the last one, this one explicitly requires me to set global read permission on uploaded files. I'll have to fix that at some point.

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-07-31 22:26:33 »
Thanx.

I took a quick look at it and I have to say that the engine uses a quite smart trick for those filenames, heh. Until now, I was wondering how the engine scans the 11K files big battle.lgp...

I'll try to implement that in my LGP Plugin for Kaddy (heh, competition for all game unpackers is coming :wicked: )

- Alhexx

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-08-01 06:55:22 »
Originally, I wasn't sure why they'd have the index (why not binary search the list of files instead?), but it's very memory efficient; 3.5KB for the index no matter how big the archive is, so you might be able to get away with never loading the full table of contents into memory at all - just the index - and only loading which parts of the TOC the index indicates you need for each file.

Not a bad idea. It'd make more sense if it was a legacy from the PSX, though; the PC version, after all, had way more memory to play with, so it didn't really need to use tricks like this (so much). Although it's still not a bad idea generally.

It also explains things like why the battle models/locations are identified by two letter codes; having all the files for a location start with the same two letters guarantees they'll be grouped together in the LGP and be particularly easy to find...