Author Topic: WIP coming soon your very own battle simulator on Highwind  (Read 6403 times)

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
I did a test for making a battle simulatorish thing for FF7.  How it works is that there will be an NPC on Highwind and at some point there will be variables for boss battles.  This can be very usefull for people wanting to test out their new bosses without wanting to go back through the game.  This is still in beginning stages but I will work hard to get this out to you guys when I can.  Screenshots will follow soon.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
That sounds fantastic. If you're going to release this then you should make it so that you can't get rewards from it.

genesis063

• View Profile
I'll probably do two versions of it.  One for those that like to be ahead of the curve and those who look for a challenge.  This will also be useful for those have missed enemy skills and such.  So what I am looking at now is having the bosses before the highwind to be unlocked right away.  After that the challenge is figuring out the scripting process necessary to make new bosses being fought then it goes back to the list with them available.  Though that may take me awhile as I will have the string of text and such massive in scope which is probably why it was never done before.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
This sounds really great. Will we also gain the experience points for these battles or will it work like the battle arena? Being able to use it as a training center to quickly gain exp would be really cool.

genesis063

• View Profile
Yes that was what is meant by having the get ahead of the curve thing.  Also it will help out a ton for Nightmare.  I'm not sure if there is a way to make it exp only though if battle square does it I can copy from there.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Battle Square sets a flag that forgoes the entire battle reward process. No window, no EXP, no gil, nothing. The only things you come out of the BA with are the items you steal or morph. I believe that the items can be copied, erased, and reset via field scripts so the user doesn't gain a dozen Ultima Weapons or anything like that.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
This isn't really that massive in scope. I have an NPC for this outside midgar I use for testing purposes that works pretty much like this.  (Of course the NPC is not in a public version, haha.)
Not sure what you mean with "It'll help out with Nightmare". Do you mean my mod or are you also making something nightmare titled?

giving rewards or disabling them is very, very easy like NFITC1 said
Make a dialogue option that sets or unsets "skip after-battle screen" in the fieldscript and shazaam, no need to even edit the monsters or anything
same can be done for no-game-over, no-victory-pose and so forth. There is no way, at least not that I've ever come across, to only one part of the battle reward.
It is technically possible to copy the entire inventory into variables, store them temporarily and then paste them again after battle (so whatever you steal / drop is pointless because it'll get overriden by the stored variables) but thats a LOT of variables ans a LOT of script. You'll need to run that as external script in mode 3 to make that work. Cloning the monsters is the much worse option because that will eat a gigantic ton of encounter slots.

as for the 'unlock' part, simply run a string of gamemoment checks, and for the weapons, a bit check on the weapon_killed variable (I have this somewhere in my PMs)
you'll need a bunch of copy pasted lists, each with one more entry and then have the NPC use a list depending on the game moment variable which then

What took me the longest, by far, was searching each field script for the gamemoment variable set after beating a boss in the story. The rest is almost just copy paste. You can even let the NPC set a custom battle BGM of your choice if you're feeling eager beaver.

I would feel bad for hijacking if I had feelings but on a topic like this, where clearly only a handful of fields in the game are touched and nothing else, is there a way to dynamically patch something like this into the field if the field isn't vanilla?
« Last Edit: 2014-05-30 04:21:58 by Tenko Kuugen »

genesis063

• View Profile
Sorry to revive a dead topic but did not want to start a new one since this is here.  I have changed how I want this npc to work.  It will give you sources like how the Organization ones work in KH 2.5/Final Mix.  Not sure who will drop what yet but there are plenty to choose from.  This can also help you get better at boss fights so you'll know what can and can't work especially with the difficulty you'll be playing on it.  I just need to figure out when he will be available.  I plan to for it to be available as soon as the highwind is yours.  For battles that happen at the end of the game you'll need to clear a certain side area.  This maybe coming from the expansion or some boss needed at the end of disc two or something.  Still on the drawing board on this one so stay tuned for some updates.

mobhunter911

• View Profile
Sorry to revive a dead topic but did not want to start a new one since this is here.  I have changed how I want this npc to work.  It will give you sources like how the Organization ones work in KH 2.5/Final Mix.  Not sure who will drop what yet but there are plenty to choose from.  This can also help you get better at boss fights so you'll know what can and can't work especially with the difficulty you'll be playing on it.  I just need to figure out when he will be available.  I plan to for it to be available as soon as the highwind is yours.  For battles that happen at the end of the game you'll need to clear a certain side area.  This maybe coming from the expansion or some boss needed at the end of disc two or something.  Still on the drawing board on this one so stay tuned for some updates.
Great idea. Our own holodeck..... Any word...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk