Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838438 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.2)
« Reply #550 on: 2014-12-03 15:18:12 »
Yeah, those Extra Battle guys were specced for end-game parties but now that the item requirements are gone for unlocking them, they're pretty much available once the Saucer re-opens. Remember to talk to the security guard for a Materia drop if you haven't already; I think it's Added Cut for beating the first guy.

PotatoHandle

• Does things quickly, no matter how long it takes.
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #551 on: 2014-12-03 22:22:25 »
'Ello Chief! Finally got back into playing the mod last night, got to the airship, really enjoyed the new fight at Jenova-Death. \o/

Couple of things to report; a friend of mine has been routinely mastering Exit materias before I've even got my first Transform mastered, it seems it masters at about 7,500 AP despite displaying as 190k. (Haven't got one to 7.5k myself yet though.)

Also I'm trying to breed some chocobos, and the Vlakrados' don't have anything to steal. Am I supposed to get the 500GP reward from the Gold Saucer instead?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 2014-12-03 22:51:25 »
I'll shut his Exit smuggling ring down so fast his head'll spin.

The Vlakarodos still has Carob nuts, just got to beat his head in and he'll drop it after battle. They can be obtained from the Saucer as well, but it's probably cheaper to just kill a Vlak for it. I watched about 1hr of the broadcast, planning to watch the rest later. Still getting some great notes from your run, just ironing out anything that looks annoying or needs tightening up.  By the by, hope you're feeling a bit more rested and comfortable now from that surgery, bud.

Rukenu

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: 2014-12-04 16:03:16 »
Hi Sega, actually im streaming your mod via Steam, if you want some feedback from it you're welcome, i have some minor visuals bugs but just because i'm on the steam version instead of the converter and i've changed some battles/field models.

Another thing it's when i want to upgrade from 1.2 to the hotfix you have on the first post, it makes the models back again in to the originals and it's a bit complicated unpack and pack again all the lgp files ^^.

My Steam Id it's Rukenu, as i said, you're welcome.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 2014-12-04 16:29:21 »
Hey bud, I tracked down what I think is your Steam Profile but I can't get in to watch this stream of yours (assumong you are streaming, there's a button that says 'watch game' but doesn't seem to do anything).

I'm guessing you're using graphical mods? The patcher I use for the NT Mod has the drawback of overwriting all the files in the .lgp archives rather than just the ones it makes changes to. I don't have a background in computing so I have to rely on pre-made programs like Patchmaker for now. I scouted around a while back for a better alternative but didn't have much luck. If it ever appears on 7H then it'll likely be a lot easier.

Rukenu

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: 2014-12-04 18:36:55 »
You were on the stream so i realize that you resolve the problem, for another guys having the same problem, activate the beta mode of steam on the parameters tab.

It will be really good if you can manage the archives what replaces the patcher, anyway i did a backup of my data folder for futures versions o/.

By the way, i forgot that in some points of the early games, i had to play the mod in a vanilla version of the Steam game, without any mod except the yours, for example, in the motorbike minigame, and when i "get" Aeris from a Phoenix Dawn, in this one, i had to able Aeris on my Phs and party via Black Chocobo, i think it's a model problem, there istn any pop up from the error, just the screen turn black or freeze, then i have to stop the application, there is a windows with a "An unknow error has occurred" message, but as i said, i think it's about models problems.

PotatoHandle

• View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #556 on: 2014-12-05 01:36:03 »
Quick bug report; the 3rd Battle Arena has a back-attack in it. I think the 4th fight, looks pretty weird and does some really confusing things to your row, hehe.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 2014-12-05 02:04:52 »
It will be really good if you can manage the archives what replaces the patcher, anyway i did a backup of my data folder for futures versions o/.

By the way, i forgot that in some points of the early games, i had to play the mod in a vanilla version of the Steam game, without any mod except the yours, for example, in the motorbike minigame, and when i "get" Aeris from a Phoenix Dawn, in this one, i had to able Aeris on my Phs and party via Black Chocobo, i think it's a model problem, there istn any pop up from the error, just the screen turn black or freeze, then i have to stop the application, there is a windows with a "An unknow error has occurred" message, but as i said, i think it's about models problems.

Refining the patching process is definitely on the list, it'd save people who want to use other mods with NT a lot of hassle.

So the mini-bike game and certain scenes only function if you have the NT Mod installed and leave other graphical mods off? I'll check those two things you mentioned just in case they've become broken for any reason but it might be worth trying out those scenes with just the graphical mods installed and no NT Mod; that way you can determine if it's a clash between the mod and the graphical models or if it's a problem isolated to the graphical models themselves.

Quick bug report; the 3rd Battle Arena has a back-attack in it. I think the 4th fight, looks pretty weird and does some really confusing things to your row, hehe.

I must've used the wrong formation; I'll re-check them.

By the way, I noticed that a crash (an unhandled exception, worryingly) happened after the fight for the Alexander summon. That particular event where the party collapses rather than gets a game over if they lose that fight is actually in the default game (except few people see it because the default enemy guarding Alexander is a plain ol' Snow). I'd assumed it was fine because it's default script, but it looks like I need to check in on it.

PotatoHandle

• View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #558 on: 2014-12-05 02:08:06 »
Actually I've had a few crashes recently all after windowing out. So I doubt it's related to the Alexander fight, might be something funny with my install, but yeah, it's only been recently.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 2014-12-05 04:03:59 »
If it's from windowing out, then it might be something to do with Steam. FF7 Steam is supposed to 'freeze' when you lose focus for the window and only resumes when the window is focused again (whereas in 1998 it just keeps playing; handy for not sitting through an FMV or long automated cut-scene).

As for what might be causing it, I'm not sure. I did some quick searching and found some people are saying that being opted in for the Steam Beta caused issues back when the game released; I imagine you've opted in for the Steam Beta to access Steam streams? It's a long-shot, but if being in the Steam Beta has interfered with the game before then it might be doing it again. I'm in the Beta too, so I'll do some testing with FF7 Steam to make sure it's stable.

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/LetCreativityPlay
« Reply #560 on: 2014-12-05 20:14:38 »
So strange, I'll try out the beta too, and ask Paranoid to the same, she's been playing it more of late. She has had similar out of window crashes too, but it was once or twice. I'll report if anything comes up.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: 2014-12-05 22:06:20 »
Cheers, bud. It's likely bad news either way; if it's an issue in the mod then it'll take some time to isolate. But if it's interference from the Steam Beta then that'll be an ongoing issue.

jackrakan124

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: 2014-12-08 06:48:07 »
I've come across an issue with the gongaga turks. for some reason there hp levels are very low (50ish).

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 2014-12-08 13:20:37 »
I remember testing the scene they appeared in, and when I'm doing field script tests around bosses I'll usually set their HP low. And more often than not, I'll forget to restore their HP. I'll update the hotfix patch for it (scene patch: 700KB).

Edit: That's the new Scene Hotfix uploaded.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-08 13:26:50 by Sega Chief »

selius

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: 2014-12-11 12:01:07 »
i read on your ID topic you have some menu to fight disc 1 bosses again

that in 1.2 or 1.3

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: 2014-12-11 19:33:28 »
It's in the current version, if you've reached the bottom of the North Crater and returned then the menu can be accessed through the trooper hanging around in the Chocobo Pen of the Highwind.

« Reply #566 on: 2014-12-11 19:52:47 »
I began playing this mod after hearing a recommendation elsewhere. I just got to Nibelheim and things have been pretty smooth so far, I've only lost to that agitated mother bird on Mt. Corel. Overall, I think it's really good and is a very fresh take on an old game. Some thoughts:

- Some of the bosses just kind of go on forever. I realize that's probably what you were going for, Sega Chief, but at times it feels a little bit excessive. Much of the time it's not bad at all and feels just right, but fights like Jenova Vector, the third Guard Scorpion fight and the new Shinra guys in front of the Shinra mansion just seem excessively long. With Jenova, I understand that it's thematically appropriate given that it's supposed to be a big deal, but it took me about 20 minutes to kill the thing. It was fairly challenging and well thought out, but it just kind of went on so long that it became a bit old. Ditto with the Shinra guys I mentioned. Cave of the Gi boss took me about 30 minutes since I couldn't seem to kill either flame fast enough to avoid their healing. Probably could have done so if I approached it differently though.

- Random encounters on the other hand are almost universally good. Some actually seem to be a bit toned down from the previous game (weird little plant guys in the Junon forests) and when they're more challenging than before, it's never to excess. I really like how the more standardized elemental weaknesses makes coming up with strategies for specific monster formations both intuitive and satisfying.

- I really like the rebalanced magic and E. Skill. It's kind of amazing having Demi and Quake in particular actually be worth using. Same with the earlier summons too, really gives them some much need umph. I had a bit of trouble getting to level 2 spells (didn't get any until the end of the Corel prison sequence) but once I gained access to them things have been very smooth. Am I right in assuming that the AP inflation for materia leveling matters less the further in I get? I kind of assumed it was done to create a power curve, like what you did with EXP.

- Motor Drive's description of "Gotta go fast" is inspired.

- Just thinking ahead here: is Remove really worth going for? I completely forgot Exit materia is even a thing that exists in the game, so when I saw Yuffie had it I marveled at the 140000 or AP needed to learn it. I can't even recall it being good in the original game, did it get buffed in some way?

- Finally, is the game balanced around having up barriers at all times? In fights like the Shinra dudes at Nibelheim, it seems to be almost a straight-up requirement. Thinking about it, I imagine barriers really make this game a pain in the ass to balance given how effective they are.

Beyond that, I look forward to what comes ahead!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: 2014-12-12 00:09:06 »
Hey bud, cheers for the feedback. Certain boss fights are undergoing some work for v1.3 to make them less prone to getting players bogged down or to be more intuitive on the first attempt. What my testing wasn't able to take into account properly was my prior knowledge of the bosses I'd made, but now that I've got a good bit of feedback on them I can hopefully make them a little better.

For spells, I tried to aim for Level 2 to unlock roughly around Gongaga to Cosmo Canyon.  They'll actually prove fairly useful all the way up until Disc 3 if used with support Materia and magic-boosting equipment but E. Skills like Beta, Aqualung, and Trine can help bridge the gap between Level 2 and Level 3 spells if need be. Level 3 spells might not unlock until Disc 3, depending on whether AP-boosting equipment is used. However, Contain and some other high level stuff can be unlocked early if you can beat the Extra Battle bosses at the Gold Saucer (they're available when it re-opens but they're specced for end-game parties; no GP is needed to fight them though, and there's no Game Over to worry about).

As for Remove, it's apparently buggered so it'll master much sooner than displayed (less than 10k I think), unless the problem was isolated to one person's game but I doubt it. Remove itself is basically a 100% death spell which can be really handy for farming items, EXP, limits, etc. As far as mastering Materia goes, it's generally best to try and reach the North Crater on Disc 3; Movers give a tonne of AP and Magic Pots now only require an Ether instead of an Elixir.

And the way I did it was I used Barriers when speccing boss fights but not for random encounters. There may be some bosses that are a little too strong either because of a throw-back to the old 1.1 EXP curve or due to them using player-spells (which were buffed a bit). Barriers themselves are %-based damage reduction which is pretty tough to account for; especially when Back Row and Sadness come into it. One thing I should say is that some bosses going into Disc 2 use the Shield status; keep Debarrier handy, if a boss suddenly becomes immune to physical attacks and absorbs elemental magic then Shield is likely in effect (or use a fast ATB, that can cripple Shield fairly quickly).

selius

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: 2014-12-12 12:23:51 »
Tifa killed the helper soldiers in the whirlwind maze boss fight.

random selection limit breaks ftw

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: 2014-12-12 12:43:52 »
Yeah, you gotta watch out for that. Multi-target attacks like Summons will hit them too, and when they die the boss will start hitting your team with that extra attack (I forget the name).  They're actually there to hinder your team, rather than help.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: 2014-12-12 21:14:31 »
Hi Sega Chief I've really wanted to try your mod but I'm using 7th heaven for mods is there any way to get your mod to work? Also if I do get it to work when I'm done with it will I need to uninstall/ re-install everything if I want to use a different mod?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: 2014-12-12 21:25:43 »
You might be in luck, Alyza just put the IRO together for NT. If all goes well with my testing tonight (I can't test using 7H directly, so I've unpacked the IRO to test the files manually to make sure they're okay and up to date) then hopefully it'll be available in a few hours or so.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 2014-12-13 10:15:10 »
You might be in luck, Alyza just put the IRO together for NT. If all goes well with my testing tonight (I can't test using 7H directly, so I've unpacked the IRO to test the files manually to make sure they're okay and up to date) then hopefully it'll be available in a few hours or so.
Oh awesome :D.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: 2014-12-13 13:04:48 »
That's the IRO file up and available for download from this thread's main page; if you run into problems like the wrong encounters loading up, crashes, etc. then let me know. Still quite new to IRO patches so there's always a chance I've done something wrong.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: 2014-12-17 02:42:01 »
Hey Sega sorry for the late congratulations for your new release.  Since you have the new IRO ready to go I will see about getting it and playing your mod soon.  Also if you like to include another extra hard boss you can include my new character Kyte for a cameo if you like.  You could use his ability to change his appearance and attack like Angeal did.  He actually is one of the basis for Kyte's power making him different from his big brother.  Not saying I am requesting him be in just some ideas if you like to update and spice it up.  Well anyway can't wait to check this one out bro.