Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] BerryMapper- texture replacement for Tonberry mod (2014-12-15)  (Read 351613 times)

Mortael

• View Profile
Okay... So I've ran into one texture problem with the gunblade and one question concerning high poly Squall. The first is simply this...
Not sure how to fix that.

And the other is that Squall's textures are in opposite spots (head being top corner, body being bottom corner) for another area under Garden. And I'm wondering what needs to be done to get those to work. The scene for it is extremely short. But I'm trying to get everything that I can done for Squall.

It could be a different texture entirely, so it simply needs to be found using Tonberry, using debug to find the file and then changing it as necessary. And it could also be that this texture shares the same hash code... I would start on that basis! I could be wrong

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
If the gunblade is black it might means that the hd texture doesn't contain the gunblade. If the texture contains the gunblade but it still shows black then it means that the texture with gunblade has the same hashcode as the one without .
Concerning the top and bottom textures swapped. You need a specific texture folder with a specific texture where the top and bottom are swapped(ex:sqheadt /sqheadt.png  and sqbodyb/sqbodyb.png). There is a" t" at the end when the texture is at the top instead of the bottom and there is a "b" when it's bottom instead of top.
I've mentionned that in first post.

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
It could be a different texture entirely, so it simply needs to be found using Tonberry, using debug to find the file and then changing it as necessary. And it could also be that this texture shares the same hash code... I would start on that basis! I could be wrong

I tried Tonberry, but didn't come up with anything. But I'll give that another shot. It's a possibility. I was surprised that low poly Squall was used for this scene rather than the model with the gunblade.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Concerning the top and bottom textures swapped. You need a specific texture folder with a specific texture where the top and bottom are swapped(ex:sqheadt /sqheadt.png  and sqbodyb/sqbodyb.png). There is a" t" at the end when the texture is at the top instead of the bottom and there is a "b" when it's bottom instead of top.
I've mentionned that in first post.

Well, the texture used in this one scene is low poly Squall without the gunblade. Not sure why, though. Maybe that's the problem with the gunblade. Oh no, I saw the first post. I just wasn't really sure if the textures given by you guys were fine as they are or needed editing of some sort. But I guess they need to be swapped around.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-08 21:07:00 by FatedCourage »

Mortael

• View Profile
In my pack, there's a texture with a different texture for when Squall uses the gunblade- as you're using a different texture, it wont have that included, unless you map it- at the moment, the gunblade is being 'skinned' by Squall's leg, because that's where the model of the gunblade is located to be textured.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
I have been using that texture, too. Because it's used in the scene where Squall is being tortured and other moments. Sadly, my inexperience prevents me from understanding this. After using tonberry again, I noticed there is a texture for Squall and his gunblade...on the bottom right. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious. Or maybe there is a hashcode being shared here.

Edit: Okay, I did figure it out. There were two codes that were shared with low poly Squall and his gunblade counterpart. Thus why it ended up that way.

These codes were the reason.
sql_13,2061200895
sql_13,2061135359
Just change them to sqgunblade. As long as people are using Mago textures which include low poly Squall and gunblade Squall (I'm wanting to use Devina's if they get finished), nothing should change in any of the areas.

Also, here is just a list of codes I've found that I don't think have been added to the list yet.

sqbody_13,4215008853
sqbody_13,4286578559
sqbody_13,4282384221
sqgunblade_13,1791651327
sqgunblade_13,1791716863
sqgunblade_13,2061200895
sqgunblade_13,2061135359
sqgunblade_13,1791715839
sqgunblade_13,1791650303
« Last Edit: 2014-12-08 23:03:49 by FatedCourage »

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
I usually just wait until the list on the first post is updated. Can you just arbitrarily add those extra codes to the end of objmap.csv without taking out other codes?

Crestian

• View Profile
If anyone has had any luck extracting whole textures ( not Palettes or fragments from Tonberry Debug0) please box them up and send them to me for uprezzing. Im not looking for Characters, I think Mago and Dev have got that covered. However, World map, Battle Backdrop, Vehicles, and Towns would be awesome. I have gotten all but Irvine's weapons completed, and have started the Blue Dragon Monster started, ( I KNOW we're not there yet, but a man can dream)

Also if there some misc step about combing paletted or fragmented Debug textures in order to create whole texture that CAN be manipulated, I don't know of it. I'm open to instruction if palette/fragment texture combining is the only way to go.

Here's a shot of the Blue Dragon for fun

OLD

NEW

Aavock

• View Profile
Most faithful texture upgrade :o amazing job Crestian, did you use the original texture only with brushes to accentuate the details ?

Crestian

• View Profile
Yeah, its the Original, resized x2 or x4 not sure atm.. with a resampling filter, noise reduction, black/white level balances and then manual highlight and shadow touch-up. I still have to bring detail back to a lot of his scale to skin junctions, but the initial results still look pretty dope.

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
2014-12-9: Objmap updated.

@Crestian: There is no easy way to "combine" all the palettes. In fact each worldmap texture is only a tile of about 32pix*32pixfor low res textures and 64pix*64pix for highres texture. You'll have to find what is the purpose of each tile. Each tile uses a different combination of colors; that is what we call a palette.
What is the correct way to use HD textures:
-Rename all your palettes like this ( this is only a proposition):
"wml_XX.png" for lowres textures and "wmh_XX" for highres textures, where XX is for palette number.
-Use BerryMapper with the above textures.
-Copy the codes from  BerryMapper/OUTPUT/hashmap.csv
-Put them in hash1map.csv in FINAL FANTASY VIII/tonberry/

So far tonberry will recognise the worldmap textures when they are used by the game. Now you can put your upscaled textures in FINAL FANTASY VIII/textures/wm/wml/ and in ./textures/wm/wmh.

I purpose to you a solution to understand where each tile is used:
-Create a texture of 1024pix*1024pix named  "wml_0.png"(or wmh_0 for high res) where each 128pix*128pix(or 256pix*256pix for high res ) has a distinct color. Put it in ./textures/wm/wml(or /wmh).
-Make sure you have the hash codes for wml(or wmh)
-run the game

You'll see that the worldmap textures are switched with plain colors. All you have to do is to match the colors with the correct tile in the original texture.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Like a dream! :)

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
I've been everywhere with Squall and I haven't found another place where his textures disappear. The only places where his textures revert are places where his textures are swapped. One, is in an area under Garden where they are trying to activate it. And the second one is where Squall is carrying Rinoa. I tried to ticker with the textures to get them to work... But I'm not good at it, it seems. I was at least able to test the code where Squall carries Rinoa. Sadly, Squall has white spots on his face due to my inexperience.

So I'll just wait until someone good at it has time to swap the textures. I just need a low poly, high poly body, and head. But other than that, everything appears to be good. And once I can test it (along with a SeeD uniform texture for Squall), I should hopefully be done.

Mortael

• View Profile
Side project: WEAPONS, Crest has kindly given me the textures for his weapons, so I am now getting them to work in-game, so here's the revolver/lionheart:

Mortael

• View Profile
Here are the rest:

p.s. (Great work Crestian on the weapons! I'll work on the others for the next release of the mod)

Also, to those who are starting to work on battle textures!! Keep up the good work! We also got the world map to do as well, so sky/sea/land textures!

Here's a bonus:

« Last Edit: 2014-12-10 08:57:03 by Mortael »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:31:45 by dkma841 »

Mortael

• View Profile
Those weapons *0*

What I love about these weapons are how true they stay to the original! And the nice fine details on the twin lance/cutting trigger to set them more apart from the their counterpart weapons <3

I have a couple of textures for the world map that need high-ressifying, if we could have different people working on different areas of the map.. Say, Galbadia/Esthar/Trabia..? I find that the most difficult textures are the mountains... The ocean seems to be pretty straight forward/shares the same texture, what would be good is to tonberry the textures, zip them up, and put them on here for everyone to get the chance to work on- and then send them over to be hashed, and then have the testers use Ragnorak/Debug-Room/Balamb Garden to troubleshoot

For some reason, I'm still having a difficulty getting the 'map' texture to display... It comes up as 'noreplace' on Tonberry. Any thoughts?

Also Shunsq, could we safely say that the 'character texture replacement' should be changed to 'texture replacement' so we can include field/battle/world as one big mod?

Also, good job Fated!! Finding the hash codes, I can have a go at fixing Squall's face if you want :D

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Thanks, Mortael. I'm not saying it's 100% but everything looks to be good. I wouldn't mind if you did. :) But no rush. You seem to be working on various things at the moment.

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D

Oh man, you've managed to replace Squall's worldmap texture?!?? We're gonna love you A LOT!

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Been messing around with Mago's textures and decided to try Ultimecia's. I actually really like it!

Yes, I am aware of the white along the feathers. I have that problem with Rinoa's hair, too. I just don't know how to fix all that. :P
« Last Edit: 2014-12-11 05:56:17 by FatedCourage »

olearyf2525

• View Profile
Awesome work guys!

Mortael

• View Profile
Been messing around with Mago's textures and decided to try Ultimecia's. I actually really like it!

Yes, I am aware of the white along the feathers. I have that problem with Rinoa's hair, too. I just don't know how to fix all that. :P

You need to make sure that the area around the feathers are 'transparent' if it has a white/black background, you will end up with a filled in texture (good job btw, perhaps you could do Edea's as well; one day we could perhaps learn how to access Edea's battle MCH model and swap it with the field model)
« Last Edit: 2014-12-11 07:12:48 by Mortael »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Oh my GOSH!!! It is the real EDEA KRAMER!

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D

Wow, this is kinda amazing, you guys are working pretty fast and pretty well. I really like how Artemisa Ultimecia looks. In situations like, this, i'd like to know some graphic design... u.u

By the way, my heartfelt congratulations guys  ;D
« Last Edit: 2014-12-11 22:26:59 by JeMaCheHi »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Thanks, guys. Mago did a great job with her. And I did fix the textures for transparency. The only downside is that using Ulti's textures make my game lag to the point where it crashes. I would love to try Edea, but I didn't find her in a pack or anything.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-12 00:25:52 by FatedCourage »