Author Topic: [WIP] FFVII Job Class Kernel.bin  (Read 39167 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Re: [WIP] FFVII Job Class Kernel.bin [QUESTION]
« Reply #50 on: 2011-12-09 02:51:33 »
So...I never finished the scene.bin for Revisited.  Revisited was my main project, but the changes left to be made are so boring and tedious that it really doesn't sound fun at all, especially since my current version of Revisited's scene has 95% of the alterations complete for the first 2/3 of the game, and 20% for the remaining third.  Also, the Job Class Kernel has generated a lot of interest, so the question becomes... ... ... Do I create a seperate scene.bin for the Job Class Mod, or do I go ahead and finish Revisited's scene.bin?

Working on Revisited's scene offers many benefits.  It would make significant progress on the Revisited mod, and also provide a quality scene.bin for use with the Job Class Kernel.  Keep in mind, the Revisited scene is a completely restructured edition of the scene.bin and includes enemies appearing where they never have before, having completely customized stats, customized enemy formations and optional boss battles, and many enemies have new skills as well. 

However, it would be relatively easy and quick to take a vanilla scene.bin or Lostwing's scene.bin and alter it for use with the Job Class Kernel.  Doing this would serve no purpose other than to make a complimentary scene.bin to go with the new Job Class System in FFVII...it could develop into a full-scale project though.

So the possibilities are that I either complete Revisited's scene.bin and kills two birds with one stone (but it would not be fun by anyone's definition); or alter LostWing's scene.bin (this would be easy and quick); alter the vanilla scene.bin (could be done relatively easily and just going through the motions); or embark on a journey to create a optimally complimentary scene.bin to go with the Job Class kernel (full-scale project, lots of time, lots of bullshit).  Obviously, the more efort an time-consuming ideas produce better results, but an altered LostWing scene.bin would be a pretty good match for the job class kernel.

Livesey

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] FFVII Job Class Kernel.bin
« Reply #51 on: 2011-12-09 04:40:39 »
Id have to say work on the Revisited scene. Quality > Quantity IMO

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #52 on: 2011-12-10 02:07:28 »
Go with what suits you. You're the one doing it, so you shouldn't feel weighed down by our expectations....

a question: if you made a completely custom scene.bin, would it be possible to enforce the job "classes" for materia and such?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2011-12-10 03:35:20 »
That data isn't in the scene.bin, sorry  :-(

Yeah, all the ways that the Class System could be made mandatory involve something that does more harm than good.

There is no real way to encourage the player to use the classes if they don't want to.  All Materia will always be equippable by all characters, and job-specific materia is a prerequisite for a Mandatory Class System in FFVII.  The only other way that I came up with to enforce the classes  (and this method had numerous flaws) involved activating a gameshark code which, of course, is up to the player to do.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2011-12-10 12:39:55 »
Hmm.. Is there a way to put the classes name in the materia that goes with it eg.

Fire
Materia details:                  |          Materia list
                                           |
*****                                 |
Black Mage       HP- 2          |
                        MP+2          |
                        st-1             |
                        mag1           |

Sorry for the mess But I hope it explains what I'm trying to say?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2011-12-10 17:06:56 »
There is a way to do exactly the your diagram shows.  The method is explained in my FFVII: Lost Wing thread.  I haven't tried it, but it should work.  I was probably just going to include the Class Name in the Materia's description, but this way would be much classier.  I will keep it in mind.

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #56 on: 2011-12-13 11:05:31 »
if you can't make it mandatory, then the way that Livesey has suggested is pretty much the perfect way of doing it.
putting the classes in the description can get messy,  'cause you don't have a lot of space there....

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2011-12-14 16:17:22 »
Oh I definetely agree, it is just that with each passing week, I've made this project a little more difficult and a little more time consuming.  I will try out a few different ideas for communicating to the pllayer which materia can be used by which job classes, and if all the easy methods produce a bucket of crap, then I will definetely use this method.  It just requires me to do something that I haven't personally done before (as simple as it may seem), which involves additional time and effort.  Maybe next week I will actually start putting the manual labor into this project so I can evaluate some of the ideas for real instead of vicariously.  I do agree though, the above method would be the ideal method.  If someone wants to learn how to do that, Bosola provided instructions in my Lost Wing mod thread.  I can provide a list of precisely which materia will be converted into others to facilitate the process.  If it is left to me, then don't plan on seeing the fruit for several weeks or longer.

======================================

Actually it was the Revisited thread.  Check this out http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11405.msg159650#msg159650

Livesey or royalmurder, if you wanna get in on this, let me know.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-14 16:23:36 by xLostWingx »

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #58 on: 2011-12-16 14:04:52 »
I can help with the simple-but-time-consuming stuff.
especially as I just finished university for a month XD

so that link will help us figure out how to change the materia descriptions?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2011-12-16 18:21:49 »
Yeah.  Bosola describes the process.  Sounds simple enough.  I would probably get to it eventually, but if you wanted to help contribute to the mod, then this would be an ideal way.  If you experiment and figure out how it all works, let me know and I'll give you the information you need to know in order to make the appropriate changes.  Only if you want to and aren't busy of course.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2011-12-16 20:19:39 »
I'l gladly attempt to help, as long as you can reccomend a program or two to use for it.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2011-12-16 20:49:08 »
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/hexutil/windhex.html

Here is a link to the program that Bosola suggested - Windhex

I don't have any experience with hex editors so I can't provide much help.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2011-12-16 20:52:26 »
Alright thanks I'l give it a little play around see what I can work out.

EDIT:Okay so I downloaded WindHex 32 and had a look arounf the Qhimm Wiki and if I'm correct all the number represent characters in-game?

I looked on the other thread and it said if I insert a ff7.tbl file it will correctly translate the Hex and make it significantly easier, Where do I find a ff7.tbl..? or on the other hand is it easy to custom make one from the information at the Qhimm Wiki?
« Last Edit: 2011-12-16 21:34:02 by Livesey »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2011-12-16 21:39:51 »
Im trying to figure out some of the same things right now.

--=-=-=-=----=-=---=-=-=---=-=-

Ok.  Well I'm looking and we might not be able to do this.  I don't think we can.  So...let me look a little longer and Ill be back with a better answer.  Don't waste your time, unless you're having fun.

EDIT:  Hey, this won't work.  There are 11 job classes but only like a few alterable words in the EQIPMENU.MNU - too few to do what we intended to.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-16 22:06:24 by xLostWingx »

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #64 on: 2011-12-17 11:12:33 »
So it's back to putting the classes in the description?
Or is that also a no?

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2011-12-17 15:04:39 »
Damn that sucks... I think putting them in the description would be the next thing down from there and from the length of the descriptions I can't see any immediate problems from doing that.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2012-01-12 20:32:36 »
Putting them in the Materia Description will work fine.

Should I develop a set of abbreviations for the classes or use the whole name of the class?  For most materia, using the whole name would work fine (because I only have to include one class name), but for materia that can be used by multiple classes, the description would become too long to display properly; so developing some abbreviations would be best.

Black Mage::BlkMg::BM
Samurai::Smrai::Smr???

I'm not sure the best way to do this, so please offer some suggestions.  Any and all suggestions are welcome.  The classes are:

EDIT::

Knight or SOLDIER::Kn
Samurai::Sam
Berserker::Brsk
Ninja::Nj
Lancer or Dragoon::Drgn
Black Mage::BlkM
White Mage::WhtM
Blue Mage::BluM
Time Mage::TmM
Summoner::Sum
Mime::Mime

These are negotiable.  I am starting work on the kernel now, so I will be working with these until better suggestions are offered.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-13 04:59:40 by xLostWingx »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2012-01-13 06:56:10 »
Work on this mod has begun.  I am making all the superficial changes now.  I will then make the meaningful changes to the data.  In a few days, the kernel mod should be complete.  It should be a decent enough game to use the Job Class Kernel with the vanilla scene.bin, but it won't be a difficult game.  Wish me luck, and please offer suggestions for recognizable abbreviations for job classes.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2012-01-13 10:16:06 »
Bit of a longshot but is there a way to colour code the text on the materia description?

That way you could colour code the classes if you needed to save further room.

Abbreviations I can think of:
Black Mage and White Mage I think is right.
Time mage maybe TimM just to even the characters whith the blk and wht mage.
Knight/ Soldier Either of the first two or 3 characters work as they won't get confusing.
Dragoon as drgn also works fine.
Beserker maybe bsrk instead of brsk though that may have been a typo I don't know.
And Summoner is fine as Sum.

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #69 on: 2012-01-13 11:21:08 »
Pretty much what Livesey's just said.
The only one I wasn't comfortable with was Berserker, and Bsrk fits better.

What do you mean by colour-coding the classes: each class has it's name in a colour, or class-specific materia has it's name in the class' colour?  ???

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2012-01-13 19:53:09 »
I mean to colour code the text so black text for Black mage white for White mage ect. But on second thought it would look confusing, messy and just all around bad, it was the ramblings of a mad man.

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #71 on: 2012-01-14 14:37:32 »
Mmm. I'm glad you came to your senses :P
It would've looked rather childish, and required so much effort to do so as well...

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2012-01-14 17:46:37 »
=P Exactely.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2012-01-15 05:57:18 »
Glad you two figured that out.  I've completed the Names/Descriptions for Spells and Materia.  It is something at least.

Zyrrahx

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2012-01-17 10:26:31 »
Hey im not very good at editing but aren't there some hidden materia and equipment in the game(Like when I edited final fantasy and a character didn't have any weapon equiped and i went into game, the weapon would be t-vest and im sure there was more) but you proberly know this, but this mod is a really good idea not having jobs in final fantasy VII made me feel like i lost control of how my characters leveled up anyway can't wait to see how it is and good luck.  :)