Author Topic: This is what FF7 will look like for PS3  (Read 20972 times)

Zack

• View Profile
This is what FF7 will look like for PS3
« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-19 01:27:54 »
they aren't remaking ff7 for the ps3, its just a technical demo of the main intro to show off the ps3's power. Makes u think how good a remake could actually be tho

knives

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-19 02:17:47 »
*kills self*

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-19 03:14:12 »
*imagines the number of online petitions that will be started because of this*

Still, they could probably make almost as much cash on a remake of FF7 as on a new game. That "almost" bit is the problem though, as not everyone would be willing to buy a game they already know all the spoilers to. Lovely thought, but most likely one that will ever be fully realized.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-19 04:56:08 »
Yeah, a good 1/4ths to 1/3rd of the ff7 fans i know say they wouldnt buy a remake.

And, it would kinda suck for all of us, cuz, most of ya have been spending years cracking ff7s file formats and we're just starting to be able to mod the game to our liking..

then, poof, a whole new version with better graphics and everything?  That would suck =P

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-19 05:32:00 »
Even then, I don't think they'd make a new PC version.  And because of that, if/when they release a remake, we'd just grab any pre-rendered backgrounds and use them for the ones we have now, and grab anything else that could be imported or converted..... :P  :wicked:

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-23 05:16:42 »
You know.. If they remade FF7 on the PS3 it would be probably enough to get me to fork over the (last i heard) price of $437.. Depending on game shots.. That was just the intro movie.. Depending on how much they actually changed in the game graphic wise .. I'd have to see, but WOW.. I'd love to see a remake of FF6 while they are at it.. and 8 .. but 6 and 7 more.. OOOH and remake tactics!

*Caddberry starts to drool all over himself..

NeoS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-24 10:49:12 »
*cries from happiness*

This should be FF7. And you bet your ass that i'd buy the remake!
Man...
Would be cool to implement this as the intro movie to the original FF7 :D

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-24 14:01:42 »
I’m going to have to admit to being in that ¼th who would not buy a remake.

The game is perfect as it is.  The graphics can’t be better.  Why?  Because those are the graphics that bring me back to the days when I was playing it for the first time.
I will not make any nostalgic connection to a game with renewed graphics.  And once the nostalgic connection is lost, there is nothing else the game can offer me, since I already know the plot, the story, the characters, etc.

The first time through is where the magic is.
I got lost in the game.  The game surrounded me and I was able to completely escape reality, with full bliss.  And while I was blissfully lost in cyber-reality, those pixilated low-polygon graphics and poor-quality MIDI music shaped my entire existence.
In other words, that blissful world is made out of jagged polygons and low-quality music.
There is no way to get into that world if you dive into a world of high-quality graphics and sound.
The world made of high-quality graphics and sound will be a new world, and it will not have any connection to “bliss” at all.
Nor will it be able to create that connection since the only way that connection can be made is through the discovery of the game, which can only be made the first time through.

I don’t really understand all this fuss over graphics.
It’s like people think it will bring back all the fun they had the first time they played it, but it won’t.

I would definitely not buy any remakes of this game.  I would let my friends buy it and then just visit their homes.  Once I’ve seen the graphics and heard the sounds, the fascination has come to an end.
There is no point in playing the game and certainly no point in actually spending money on it.

L. Spiro

odo324

• View Profile
    • http://www.mindscape.siteburg.com
« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-28 07:34:00 »
I agree with L. Spiro's ideals, but my own view varies a little.

Explanation A:

Yeah, nothing can compare with the first play-through of this truly magnificent work of art. It's not much different than your first-love. Similarly, you can't compare your first, your seconded, or third, etc... (or any-combination-their-of). With every person you truly fall in love with, it's different... no better... no worse....

I, for one, would not hesitate to buy a re-make of FF7. Not because I want something better... Hell no. Only because I want to feel the way I did before, when it was an adventure that I haven’t seen before. Sure, I've seen Cosmo Canyon... but a remake provides the ability to explore it for the first time... again (yes, if you think about it, that sentence –does- make since).

(BTW: Just so we're all clear, I'm not talking about sex. That's something completely separate from what I'm referring too. ...plus, it would completely screw up my point.)

Confused? I know I'm not am... am not I know.. not I... umm...
Ok, I'm going to try this differently. It's not like me to write that kind of stuff.

Explanation #Dos:

OK! I'm making this simple.

COOKIE: The first batch of cookies tasted great! Nothing could be better!
FF7: This game was great! Nothing could be better!
---
COOKIE: All "cookies" are  "cookies"... but they can be different too.
FF7: All FF7's are FF7... but they can be re-makes too.
---
COOKIE: Some cookies can turn out bad, especially if they are burnt.
FF7: Some remakes can turn out bad, especially if they BS on the quality seen in the original.
---
COOKIE: Other cookies could be just a good, although different.
FF7: Some remakes could be just as good, although different.
---
COOKIE: A good cookie is a good cookie, no matter what kind of cookie it is!
FF7: A good FF7 game is a good FF7 game, even if it is a remake.

Ok, one more thought just popped in my head...  ...then I'll stop...

Explanation III:

Would you be satisfied with persistent (and ever-growing) game-errors for the next 20+ years, as technology changes... or would you eventually want a remake, so you could play worry-free?

CONCLUSION:
So just because...
  • It's not my first love...
  • It's not a cookie I'm familiar with...
  • It can play flawlessly on my new top-of-the-line $20,000 Workstation (-I wish!-)[/list:u]
    ...doesn't mean I'll deny my self of a new meaningful 'relationship'. Ok, I'm back to my first example... "…doesn’t mean I'll deny my self of an enjoyable gaming experience."

Yeah, my first explanation was best.  :wink: Man! WTF is with me? This whole topic has me all sentimental!?! -_-

---

EDIT: Just watched the movie... frick'en sweet! Although, now my job of recreating it is now that much harder. Ha, ha... ironic.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-28 14:39:46 »
I am with odo324 on this one.

I mean, FF7 rocks(even though I'm not quite finished with it yet), and a remake wouldn't be the same, but it would still be fun.  I remember when I first played FFVI (FFIII for Super Nintendo).  It was my first Final Fantasy game.  I was amazed.  It was a classic.  The best RPG I had ever played! (up until then.) But the graphics are 2-D.  The music quality sucks.  If they made a remake, with better graphics/music, I would buy it.  It would never match up to the first time, because FF6 is 2-D and bad quality music, but it would be a great experience, and probably worth your money.

One more example, and I'll leave you alone.

I played Fire Emblem for GBA, and loved it.  One of the best games I had ever played.  In fact, I loved it so much, I bought Fire Emblem 2 on the day it came out.  I began playing it, and really enjoyed it.  Now, I know that a sequel isn't the same as a remake.  But it's the same concept.  Fire Emblem 2 is basically Fire Emblem with a different story and levels, but souped up graphics, gameplay, and music.  I know that an FF7 remake would have the same story and levels, but the it would be fun to see how the game would have been made in the future.  And I know that Fire Emblem 2 doesn't have the same level of improved graphics as an FF7 remake would, but you get the point.  

Anyway, my conclusion:

FF6/Fire Emblem - One of a kind experience

[nonexistent]FF6 Remake/Fire Emblem 2 - still fun, not the same as original, but brings back memories of the good ol' days :D

So, in short, if the question is "Would you buy a FFVII remake?", the answer is...

YES!:lol:

jc2k300

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-08-28 05:05:06 »
Quote from: Zack
they aren't remaking ff7 for the ps3, its just a technical demo of the main intro to show off the ps3's power. Makes u think how good a remake could actually be tho

Gamespot said Square-Enix is considering it. And...Well their is one thing we can all get hyped up over, final fantasy remake PS3!!! :D

Topher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-08-28 10:11:57 »
Don't bump old topics, mmk? This topic is 3 months old... let sleeping dogs lie unless you have something REALLY constructive to add to the conversation...

Winter

« Reply #13 on: 2005-08-28 23:12:58 »
Man, Square isn't making FF7 for PS3 and doesn't even consider it.
They have too many projects to finish and another one would slow everything down. Don't forget they delayed the FFXII release.

Bunnie-Maru

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005-08-29 02:58:45 »
Quote from: Winter
Man, Square isn't making FF7 for PS3 and doesn't even consider it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/31/news_6130109.html

Note: The same one I predicted.

:wink:

jamesyfx

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-08-29 17:14:55 »
I think Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, and all those other ones are more than enough.

.. Besides.. everyones work here would be rendered useless. >.>

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #16 on: 2005-08-30 00:40:12 »
you know squeenix will squeeze it till its out. then in 20 years some kids gonan pick up a ffvii again and start it all over again ><

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005-08-30 18:12:13 »
No remake for PS3? Good.

Whether or not a remake would be good shouldn't even be considered. Square is just breaking too many rules these days. All they seem to be saying to me is "money, money, money".
Square should move onto new projects... I feel spending money and staff on making FFXII kick ass would be better ^^;;

Anyway, did anyone hate the music in that trailer? There's no way they can match Uematsu's original arangements. I've only watched it once (it digusted me), but I don't think they had Uematsu do the music. Considering he's retired from Squaresoft to expand his horizons, I wonder if he'd come back for a remake...
Without Uematsu, there's not a HOPE IN HELL that the music will work.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #18 on: 2005-08-30 23:25:45 »
well ti depends who wns the rights to the music in ffvii.. they could jsut recreate it ya know 0.o

and secondly money is what  games are for.. no mater what you feel or believe, companies make games to make money, simple as taht.. so the'll put resources into whatever they think will sell the most

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005-08-31 20:10:31 »
Quote from: Lieron
well ti depends who wns the rights to the music in ffvii.. they could jsut recreate it ya know 0.o

and secondly money is what  games are for.. no mater what you feel or believe, companies make games to make money, simple as taht.. so the'll put resources into whatever they think will sell the most

Are you mad? Who do you think owns the rights to FFVII's music? Magic Harry? There's never been any question as to who owns the music; it's just a case of they WILL recreate it, and unless Uematsu does this there is NO chance of it coming out sounding good (by my standards).

And, yes, all video game companies are just out to make money. You just go ahead and believe that.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #20 on: 2005-08-31 23:11:13 »
Quote from: Sir Canealot
And, yes, all video game companies are just out to make money. You just go ahead and believe that.

<Dr.Evil> Rrrrriiiight... </Dr.Evil>

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005-09-01 08:41:03 »
... Name me one video game company that ISN'T out to make money please Canealot, I'd love to know.

edit : Typo's

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005-09-01 11:01:24 »
...and unless Uematsu does this there is NO chance of it coming out sounding good (by my standards).

Dangerously close to fanboy conventions there.

Funnily enough, Uematsu isn't the only decent composer around.  Hitoshi Sakimoto (who's *actually* doing the music for FFXII) was responsible for much of Final Fantasy Tactics and the entirety of Vagrant Story (among other things), both of which are masterpieces in their own rights.  Yasunori Mitsuda worked on Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Xenogears, and that's quality work worth owning as well.  And then, on a non-Square theme, we have Tenpei Sato, who did Disgaea and Phantom Brave... Heaven's Garden is currently my favourite vocal piece, right after 1000 Words.

Furthermore, Uematsu has left Square, yes, but he is now *FREELANCE*.  Just like Mitsuda and Sakimoto.  Not being a Square-Enix composer doesn't mean he'll never work for them ever again.

The only real advantage Uematsu has over and above those I've mentioned is that he's been a composer for an amazingly popular series that has lasted over ten years.  This does give discussions about his work a lot of the power of nostalgia.  But not all of his work has been wonderful or appeal to all tastes.  Not all of Mitsuda's work appeals to me.  Not all of Sakimoto's work appeals to me.  Everyone has their off days.  That doesn't automatically make one composer better than another.

I think it's a little premature to write FFXII off musically.  Uematsu is certainly not the be-all and end-all of Final Fantasy composition.[/i]

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005-09-01 12:57:25 »
I didn't mention FFXII's music.

And I loved the multiple composers in FFX. Infact, I liked Masashi Hamauzu's stuff more than Uematsu.
But, in ten years' time, if it comes to a FFX remake, am I wanting Uematsu to re-do Hamazu's music? No! They'd need to get Hamazu back to re-do.
Although I am a Uematsu fanboy, it's not a case of the other composers not being good. It's a case of the same thing as me saying: "Who drew (drew, yeah?) the Mona Lisa? I am a badman on Tekken and can do hella combos. I will redraw it and make it badass."
As I said: it's really not a case of different composers. It's a case of those are Uematsu's songs, and anyone else touching them without his guiding hand is just stupid.

Does anyone know if he did the music for the tech demo? I remember hating it quite a bit...

Actually, who did the Valkyrie Profile (same person who did Till The End of Time, not that I've checked) OST? Bun the VII OST; it's all about the Valkyrie Profile OST.

And Uematsu has more than just working on a popular series. I wish I knew more about music so I could explain it, but, alas, I don't.

... Name me one video game company that ISN'T out to make money please Canealot, I'd love to know.

No, my comment meant that every person in every company on the planet isn't going "Money! Money! Money, money, money!" Some of them actually have a case, you know. Feel free to guess which ones.

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005-09-01 14:12:01 »
I didn't mention FFXII's music.

My apologies then - it seemed like a standard "Uematsu is gone, nothing will ever be good again" post that I've seen a lot of around.  But...

It's a case of those are Uematsu's songs, and anyone else touching them without his guiding hand is just stupid.

No, it really isn't.  Arrangements and mixes of other people's work are not uncommon, and sometimes add more than they take away.  Collaborations between different composers has happened very often in Squaresoft's history.

Take a look at Final Fantasy Origins.  Tsuyoshi Sekito arranged Uematsu's work for that, and it was pretty well received, so you can't exactly say it was a bad idea or that he did a terrible job.

And once again, I know there's certain tracks in FF7 that I really don't like.  Would another composer lending their own style to Uematsu's originals make them better?  Would it spoil the overall feel of FF7?  I can't say.  But I'm not going to state "no chance", because it most certainly *isn't* "no chance".  Yes, if an FF7 remake gets done in the far future, whoever ends up dealing with *any* part of the game is going to have a lot to live up to. But it's been done before and it has been done both well and badly, so again... it's a premature verdict.