Author Topic: Once again, The British Government make a completely retarded proposal.  (Read 4793 times)

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
"The Government have recently passed laws in the UK to try and suppress live music.

Pubs which could previously offer work to solo musicians or duos now have to pay for a special licence and can only have 12 of these per year.

Even school Xmas concerts need to be licensed.

The unlicensed provision of even one musician is a potential criminal offence (although some places are exempt, including places of public religious worship, royal palaces and moving vehicles). Max penalty: £20,000 fine and six months in prison (for the proprietor and the musicians).

The rationale is to prevent noise, crime and disorder, to ensure public safety, and the protection of children from harm. But broadcast entertainment, including sport and music, is exempt - no matter where, and no matter how powerfully amplified. For the first time, private performances raising money for charity will need a licence.

School performances open to friends and family will need a licence - they count as public performances.

If you want to add your name to the petition (currently more than 27,000 people have joined the list), please click on the following link (it takes less than a minute)...

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/licensing/

If this law is implemented, it will be disastrous for music and musicians in the UK, and will threaten to return Britain to "the land without music" that it was internationally considered to be after Cromwell's infamous ban on music."

Im speachless.

This takes political faggotry to a new f***ing level.  Stupid cunts.

As you can probably tell, music means alot to me, especially seing new unsigned talent.  I see maybe 10 new bands a week at local venues around the city.  This is now saying that these nights can happen ONCE a month, as opposed to twice weekly.

Much of the revenue of the pub accross the road from my halls of residence is generated from their 3 live music nights, effectively putting them (and thousands of other places) out of business if this comes into play.  Disgraceful, the person who thought of this is an utter 'tard.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-09 16:04:53 by James Pond »

Jedimark

• View Profile
Where's the best place for Live music in London then James?

James Pond

• View Profile
If I was in london, I would tell you, I live in preston.

Why london anyway? This applies to all of the UK, not just london.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-09 16:14:23 by James Pond »

Jedimark

• View Profile
Oh well most people refer to London as "the city" so I thought u meant you watched lots of live bands in London.

James Pond

• View Profile
Ah no, Sorry, I meant around Preston city :)

Jedimark

• View Profile
Preston's gone down hill ever since Tokyo Joe's became Lave Ignite ;)

Radio 1 is having "their big weekend" in Preston this year aren't they? That'll be good fun - I hear The Killers and Kasabian will be there - Might try and get myself back up North for that.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-09 21:13:08 by Jedimark »

James Pond

• View Profile
Yeah, Lava/Ignite is Chav central, really horrible place to be.

R1 is having it here, with rumours of the Chilli Peppers playing, which could be fun, signed up for tickets anyways.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
As a bass guitar player who's been playing for about a year and a half now, I'm looking on finding a band or two to join and jam with soon.

As such, this would be completely gay and stupid. I don't understand. Especially when most night clubs are in places where you're not going to annoy anyone with noise. Most night clubs in London you can barely hear anything coming out the front.

Perhaps there should be a law about live bands turning it down slightly. It seems most of them think there shouldn't be live music without people going deaf, but maybe that's just me.

Edit: Signed, and I'll post this in some other forums...