Author Topic: How to manually rip kernel.bin from PSX FF 8?  (Read 2842 times)

joedram0

• View Profile
How to manually rip kernel.bin from PSX FF 8?
« on: 2018-09-06 15:08:40 »
Does anyone know how to manually rip the kernel.bin from the PSX Final Fantasy 8?
I have the Final Fantasy VIII [SLUS-00892] version and wanted to create a hack but am having trouble finding anything related to hacking FF8 for PSX.

After a lot of digging on this site I understand that the kernel.bin must be manually ripped with a hex editor. I would like to see if anyone can walk me through this process in the most detailed way possible.

I would need the offset location of the kernel.bin (if I use the iso .bin or .img) as well as how to rip it in HxE. Also, how to then open it in Doomtrain (if possible) and how to reinsert it into the .img/.bin of the game.

Thanks to anyone willing to help.

joedram0

• View Profile
Re: How to manually rip kernel.bin from PSX FF 8?
« Reply #1 on: 2018-09-10 21:24:14 »
Ok so I tried opening the .bin in Translhextion and that worked and I found the actual kernel.bin is located at the offset 1DD2E8 in the actual disc image on the NTSC-U version. I opened it partially with 38000 bytes and saved that as the kernel.bin. I opened that file in Doomtrain but no luck. None of the data gets uploaded to the program. What am I doing wrong here. I don't think anyone on here is especially familiar hacking the PSX FF8 but any help with the programs would be appreciated.

joedram0

• View Profile
Re: How to manually rip kernel.bin from PSX FF 8?
« Reply #2 on: 2018-09-12 21:12:16 »
Well,

I figured it out. I had to use the brute force method and just looked through the FF8.bin and compared that to the kernel.bin for the PC that I downloaded. I used the PC version to open in DOOMTRAIN, make changes and looked to see what those changes were in the clean kernel.bin. Once I did that I just copied them over to the PSX FF8.bin. I tested the changes to the GFs and it worked!

I only wanted to do this so I could play FF8 on the android so that is why I wanted to make the changes to the PSX version. Even though nobody was around to help with this, I couldn't have done it without piecing it together from the forums so thanks anyway. Anyone looking to make changes to the GF's on PSX version the offsets are

QUETZ - 1DE3A0
SHIV - 1DE554
IFR - 1DE5D6
SIRE - 1DE66A
BROTHERS - 1DE6E1
DIABLOS - 1DE765
CARB - 1DE7F6
LEVI - 1DE877
PANDEM - 1DE8F1
CERBER - 1DE982
ALEX - 1DEA06
DOOM - 1DEA8A