Author Topic: [PC] Field background editor - Palmer (0.8b)  (Read 213960 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: Palmer
« Reply #250 on: 2009-08-08 17:14:10 »
bah, after a week of frustration i cannot get this to work at all.  I don't know wth i'm doing wrong, but it's not loading my PNG, and it's not altering the default texture either.

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2009-08-08 17:22:06 »
but the primary goal is to be able to replace existing backgrounds with higher-quality versions.

As I said in your other topic, onOne's Genuine Fractals is the perfect tool for upscaling the existing textures while retaining quality.

I'm really anxious to see how it would look too.

EDIT: nvm... I somehow missed 10 pages of this topic...
« Last Edit: 2009-08-08 17:24:08 by X-Dina »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2009-08-08 19:32:55 »
bah, after a week of frustration i cannot get this to work at all.  I don't know wth i'm doing wrong, but it's not loading my PNG, and it's not altering the default texture either.
Check this thread out   If the text can be enhanced, it shouldn't be THAT much different to substitute a new world map texture in.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2009-08-08 20:14:37 »
Check this thread out   If the text can be enhanced, it shouldn't be THAT much different to substitute a new world map texture in.

And if we can do that, will we eventually be able to have the world map look like this?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2009-08-08 20:19:30 »

Unfortunatly, the world map textures cannot simply be scaled up and put back into the LGP files.  They do not tile correctly, and are very blurry and look horrid. PNG injection seems like the best/only method for replacing these textures ATM, but i cannot get it to work what so ever.  Here's what i did:
Extract fld.tex as a PNG, convert to greyscale(for testing purposes so i know it's "my" texture)
Reinsert the PNG with highwind, and re-extract the greyscale fld.tex that was just created.
Open fld.tex and insert "EXTgrass" in the first 6 bytes of image data(these bytes have been verified as well)
Re-insert the greyscale, EXT-modded fld.tex back into the LGP
Save the high-res grass in /textures as "grass_00.png"
start game, the ground is the greyscale version found in the LGP, not my high-res version

Also i have a question, if the plugin simply needs to find a EXT reference somewhere in the image data of a .tex file, couldn't the rest of the image data simply be erased after the EXT, since it will load the high-res version anyway(once it was working anyhow).

lee

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2009-08-08 21:04:23 »
Error reporting is not what it should be in 0.7 but this works, I just replaced fld.tex myself with some random png.

Make sure it's a 32- or 24-bit png, no other formats are supported.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #256 on: 2009-08-08 21:18:51 »

And if we can do that, will we eventually be able to have the world map look like this?
^ *wants this*

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2009-08-08 21:35:01 »
Error reporting is not what it should be in 0.7 but this works, I just replaced fld.tex myself with some random png.

Make sure it's a 32- or 24-bit png, no other formats are supported.
can you PM me a copy of the fld.tex you used to do this?  I discovered i was using 8-bit PNGs to replace the ones ingame, but even after upping the bitrate they still aren't appearing.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2009-08-09 13:04:40 »
Hi, Aali.

Is it possible to build backgrounds that are not dependant on your OpenGL driver?

Actually, I do love your driver but somehow a Robotek Mini 10v netbook doesn't like anything OpenGL at all. And, I'm not into making Hi-Res backgrounds too. At least not for a netbook...

Thanks in advance.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2009-08-09 16:10:44 »
It will be possible.. sometime in the future.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2009-08-10 05:34:00 »
Thanks.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2009-08-10 22:36:16 »
I would also like to figure out the texture replacement. Aali if you could just tell me the byte offset of the begininng of the pixel data is in usfont_a_h.tex that would be a great start for me. Ive been messing with a hex editor for 4 hours now and soon i wont have any hair left lol

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2009-08-14 22:24:55 »

i've got a few textures ingame, most noticable is the grass. It still needs alot of work, but i'm just happy that i got it to work at all!  I also have replaced the sky texture, but the engine scales it very strangely and applies transparency even if the image doesn't have an alpha, so it will require some work to get it going.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2009-08-14 23:45:22 »
Are you using aali's texture replacement method?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2009-08-15 01:23:24 »
Well that looks wonderful  :-D
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, THANK YOU

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2009-08-15 02:29:49 »
the gras looks fantastic, Keep up the good work  :-D

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2009-08-20 04:25:13 »
Nice!!! So it would seem the background is doin the makeover this time...Wow!! FFVII would never be the same ..( I hope )...

Some MOD would be nice to change the scenery to AC quality..( *wishful thinking* ) or DC or Dissidia...hmmm..HOPE HOPE HOPE :wink:

SwornEnemy

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2009-08-20 11:04:42 »
this is sick,,,,,
when all these programs that are out and that people are creating,,in the end, we would have modded the game so much there would be no point for a remake

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2009-08-20 11:29:12 »
But there is no point for a remake already!

SwornEnemy

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2009-08-20 11:49:54 »
of course theirs a point.............
everyone who says there shouldn't b a remake are bullshiting.......
cause if they brought out a remake i can guarantee every who said ' i don't want a remake' will buy it

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2009-08-20 12:16:12 »
^ When I said "But there is no point for a remake already!" I meant the programs have already reached considerable success.

Anyways, you don't have to be that aggressive.  :-(

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2009-08-20 12:18:03 »
lol, take no notice of Raziel, he talks like that alot, he doesn't mean to be agressive  :wink:

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2009-08-20 15:03:52 »
of course theirs a point.............
everyone who says there shouldn't b a remake are bullsh*ting.......
cause if they brought out a remake i can guarantee every who said ' i don't want a remake' will buy it

I advise you to look at what Squeenix has done with the Final Fantasy franchise recently and then think about why we don't want a remake. Square has gone from the company responsible for FF7 and Chrono Trigger to the company responsible for FFX-2 and Dirge of Cerberus. Of course, we'd all still buy it because we're idiots, but that doesn't mean we want FF7 remade by people who have lost their touch.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2009-08-20 16:14:49 »
I don't think it's that they lost their touch, The plot writer of the Final Fantasy franchise left before the creation of those games.

Hence why, all the story totally sucks on them.

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2009-08-20 16:19:45 »
Its not Squaresoft anymore its Square Enix, most of the talented people from Squaresoft have left, hence the lower quality of games. Final fantasy 10 was the last 'good' game in the series. 11, 12 and all the stupid spin-off's are just not worth our time, sadly
« Last Edit: 2009-08-20 16:24:43 by MXster »