Author Topic: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial  (Read 203223 times)

Landarma

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial
« Reply #325 on: 2010-07-27 01:15:11 »
how do you open the .cfg file, I can't open it.

You can use any text editor, even notepad to open it.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: 2010-07-27 01:19:47 »
Open with notepad.

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 2010-07-27 01:25:08 »
still not working... do i have to start a new game?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 2010-07-27 02:38:35 »
still not working... do i have to start a new game?
No, that's not the problem.

You probably installed FF7 in the Program Files directory, and are running Windows Vista or 7 with UAC, is my best guess. UAC prevents you from properly editing files in certain directories.

1. Find the file ff7_opengl.cfg in your FF7 install directory.
2. Move it to the desktop.
3. Right click it, choose open with, and click Notepad.
4. Find the line that says #music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp and remove the #
5. Move the file ff7_opengl.cfg back to your FF7 install directory.

If you follow these directions correctly, you absolutely won't have the original music overlapping in the background next time you run the game.

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 2010-07-27 04:09:31 »
it has been done to no avail.

I am at a loss here lol.

Still overlapping.

I tried to turn down the music volume, but that removes my sound effects as well, so now the sound effects volume is useless...

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: 2010-07-27 05:50:17 »
it has been done to no avail.

I am at a loss here lol.

Still overlapping.

I tried to turn down the music volume, but that removes my sound effects as well, so now the sound effects volume is useless...
Somewhere around here is a tutorial I had made for FF7Music.   If you can find it, in there is a link to a midi.lgp where all the midi files are blank.  Use that instead.

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: 2010-07-27 06:24:28 »
Ah, I found it, thank you bear.

I will post my results in a bit.

Edit: Bear you are the man... or animal!!!! It's working great now, and I can change in whatever music I want since I have all the directory folders good to go.

This is really making the FF experience so much newer and enjoyable... It's like playing it for the 2nd time lol.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-27 06:42:41 by Travis »

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 2010-07-29 02:15:27 »
I keep getting a direct sound error. FF7 Music keeps throwing errors every second when I try to play the new music. Error message:
Error setting DirectSound cooperative level; please shutdown other programs using your soundcard.
Error code: 80070057

I have nothing else open that is utilizing my sound device. I've tried it with just my essentials and FFVII running, and it gives me the same error. The music files are there.

Using Aali's custom graphics interface 7.8b
Win 7
Nvidia 9800GT graphic adapter
On board High definition audio device

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: 2010-07-29 02:41:04 »
That's odd. Anyway, here's two things you could try:

1. Use out_wave.dll instead of out_ds.dll if you aren't already. Completely bypass directsound, y'know?
2. Make sure your directx runtimes are up to date: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Also, what sound driver are you using for FF7 itself? Check out ff7config to find out.

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: 2010-07-29 02:44:51 »
out_wave fixed it. I don't know why I overlook these simple things when Troubleshooting these days. I used to be at least competent at FF7 modifications... Sigh.

Thanks for the pointer.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: 2010-07-29 02:45:40 »
FF7Music is a special exception. It doesn't work right, 90% of the time. No amount of skill and intelligence can fully fix it, just experience and patience.

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 2010-07-29 03:00:51 »
But once you have it working... it's the sweetest thing evar!!

Whenever I find a better mp3 of a song, I can plop it in the directory with the same name as the song it's replacing and it's good to go!

I may release a new mp3 set of songs that are much less in file size, but better/cooler sounding.

No offense to those who made the remaster soundtrack!

cecilkorik

« Reply #337 on: 2010-08-26 22:11:07 »
Not really sure what's going on here, but when I run FF7music it... mostly works. Except sometimes it refuses to switch songs when switching areas, or insists on not playing anything. The files are all set up correctly -- it can play them sometimes. I've tried PSF and MP3s, both have the same problem. The problem isn't limited to certain songs. It can either refuse to switch, or refuse to play any song at any time, and then play that same song perfectly 10 seconds later.

For Example: I load my saved game (which is at the world map). 90% of the time, no music at all. just silence. The other 10%, it correctly plays the world map song.
Then I go into a random battle. Either it will play the battle music, or it will keep playing the world map music for the whole battle. The victory fanfare usually plays when I beat the enemies, but even that's not guaranteed. I go into a town, and maybe the town music starts playing, or maybe the world map music keeps playing. If I then immediately exit the town, the world map music has a chance to start playing again, or maybe it will keep playing the town music, or maybe I will get silence. It seems totally random.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Or is this just "normal" with FF7music? I've tried all the FF7music settings I can find, I've tried different versions of FF7music, I've tried running under every combination of compatability modes. There are no spaces in the path.

I am running Windows Vista 64, and FF7 1.02 with Aali's driver 0.7.8b with FF7music.fgp enabled. FF7music is version 1.51. I've even tried using LoopBe also but I don't think the Aali/FF7music combo needs to use midi at all, does it?

I can post my app.log/ff7music.log if it would help.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 2010-08-26 23:31:18 »
This is absolutely not normal for FF7Music, but it's not a problem I've ever seen before. I honestly have no idea what could be going wrong. You could try installing FF7Music with this installer, but based on your symptoms I doubt it would make a difference.

It seems like FF7Music isn't getting the info from the game that it needs, though if you're using Aali's driver and properly set up the ini to enable the music plugin, I can't imagine why this would happen.

cecilkorik

« Reply #339 on: 2010-08-27 15:45:30 »
Thanks for the quick reply. It's good to know this isn't normal, and I had looked around the forums looking for a similar problem and couldn't find anything.

I'm still not sure why it's doing this. I'm going to try doing a fresh install with a focus on following all the tutorials precisely. I will also give your installer a try, thanks! I'm beginning to wonder if I have some kind of hardware problem at this point, maybe I'll try a different computer as well...

Robbyn

« Reply #340 on: 2010-10-19 08:33:49 »
So I believe I did everything correct ( I must not have if I have this problem)   But I can't seem to get it full screen... I Changed the option in the config and messed around with it to see if there would be any changes, but nothing.   It just stays in the quarter box size.

I'm using Windows 7- if it helps.  & sorry if I'm like the 10th person to post with this problem.

« Last Edit: 2010-10-19 08:55:44 by Robbyn »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: 2010-10-19 16:50:44 »
This is not an issue with FF7Music. You probably have Aali's driver set up wrong.

Robbyn

« Reply #342 on: 2010-10-20 08:55:49 »
The only reason I brought it up in here was because it worked fine and was full screen until I installed the FF7Music.  I should of clarified that, sorry.  But I will double check to see if I set it up right or not, cause more then likely you are correct.   
« Last Edit: 2010-10-20 09:44:31 by Robbyn »

harkemeides

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: 2010-10-31 18:12:30 »
Hi there, i've been looking around and noticed a few people have expressed issues with FF7 music not restarting the music tracks with scene changes, and specifically i've been having an issue where when i say exit the battle scene with the fanfare track playing, when it resumes on field no music resumes.

Though, i find if i go into the menu, it will then start playing the music. Is this some issue with the program not receiving the flags it needs to start up the music tracks, and or has there been any progress made in this or similar cases? after spending several hours searching i haven't discovered any definitive information on this issue.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 2010-10-31 19:45:43 »
Unfortunately, that sort of problem seems to show up at random, some people have it, some people don't, and I haven't been able to figure out why. I *think* it's the program's fault, in which case I can't do anything about it, but it's possible I'm wrong and a small reconfiguration can help. I really don't know, though.

Soul

• "I'll take a potato chip AND EAT IT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: 2010-12-05 13:03:59 »
In need of help. Why cant I hear the sound effects? I mean the sounds when i'm attacking, when I move my pointer in the menu, and such?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 2010-12-05 19:21:48 »
For starters, what OS are you using?

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 2010-12-06 00:12:19 »
Im using vista x32. I played this game last year with the same laptop. But the SFX works back then. But now it doesn't. I only tried installing the 1.02 patch, aalis custom drivers, avalanche, millenia's cloud swords and ff7 music (using the old method).

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 2010-12-06 00:23:18 »
Open ff7config and make sure the sound is set up right. This doesn't seem like a ff7music related problem, more likely you have the wrong device chosen in the Sound tab.

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 2010-12-06 00:39:43 »
Works perfectly now. Thanks for the help. :D