Author Topic: Sega blabs about PS2 (and maybe Dreamcast) emulation on PS3  (Read 5442 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Here

Interesting. Sony might have changed their plans since the meeting was held, but hopefully they haven't. They'll deny everything whether it's true or not, so the only way we'll find out is if Sony actually announce PS2 emulation, which is unlikely to happen whilst the PS2 is still selling thousands of units every week.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-22 12:48:32 by Kudistos Megistos »

ye-roon

• View Profile
NEED!

i'll buy a ps3 then, kindom hearts chain memories for ps2 here i come!

Jari

It might not mean PS2 emulation in the console itself, it could be that each PS2 game released for PS3 via PSN might have a software emulator that comes with the download. Which, of course, is mostly likely the very same emulator in each case, but naturally you won't be allowed to use it for running anything disc-based.

Which would be like the ultimate ripoff; Hello, feel free to pay again for the game you already own!

In other words, very Sony-like. :-P

ultima espio

• View Profile
DREAMCAST?!?!?!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*ahem*

Sounds good :-D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
It might not mean PS2 emulation in the console itself, it could be that each PS2 game released for PS3 via PSN might have a software emulator that comes with the download. Which, of course, is mostly likely the very same emulator in each case, but naturally you won't be allowed to use it for running anything disc-based.

Which would be like the ultimate ripoff; Hello, feel free to pay again for the game you already own!

In other words, very Sony-like. :-P

Hmm, they would certainly be spitting in their loyal customers' faces if they did that.

I don't imagine they actually would, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise; after all, they'll make a lot more money that way (unless one can be certain that having proper backwards compatibility for the games people already own would increase their PS3 sales, and thus their sales of PS3 games).

Borde

• View Profile
I've got a question. Does the PS3 have backward compatibility with the PSX? I mean the current PS3, not the old one with the PS2 hardware.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I've got a question. Does the PS3 have backward compatibility with the PSX? I mean the current PS3, not the old one with the PS2 hardware.

I don't have one, but I'm fairly sure that it does.

Jari

What Kudistos said. My understanding is that it does, but don't quote me on that - I'm not sure and Google doesn't seem to know.

I'm also quite drunk, which might affect my perception and logic - Firefox' splee checker tells me that it certainly affects my typing. :-D

EDIT: Not to mention, I has teh flu. Probably the pig flu, with my luck. :-D I'll infect you all! Oink! Oink!
« Last Edit: 2009-09-22 22:36:56 by El Ammo Bandito! »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
wewt i think i have it too! nehow, i'm fairly sure ps3s are compatible with psx, as a few of my friends have a ps3, and play it on em no problem.

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
Shenmue on PS3? *screams like a girl*  I cant' wait!!... *drools* :-P

Or a Rockman X9 then? wakokokokok  :evil:

Borde

• View Profile
Re: Sega blabs about PS2 (and maybe Dreamcast) emulation on PS3
« Reply #10 on: 2009-09-23 01:20:17 »
Mmm... yeah, it seems all PS3 has backward compatibility with PS1:
http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-model-guide/
Which is nice. I guess they could just give away the PS2 emulators in case they manage to make them just like MS did. And, at the same time, put the games on the store for download and make some extra cash from those who still don't poses them... again like MS.

I think software emulation of the PS2 on the PS3 would be pretty hard though. Even with all the documentation about PS2 innards, it looks seriously hard. PCSX2 has been in development for a very long time and it's still far from perfect. Not to mention it needs a machine seemingly way more powerful than a PS3 for the most complex games. I know with money and certain knowledge things are easier but still...

As for the DC games on the store, yeah, that would be nice. And feasible. Time will tell.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-09-23 07:28:28 »
Shenmue on PS3? *screams like a girl*  I cant' wait!!... *drools* :-P

Or a Rockman X9 then? wakokokokok  :evil:

lul...'rockman'...double-lul! :-D

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile