Author Topic: FF8 VIII Gf Ability removal  (Read 6320 times)

volvania

• View Profile
FF8 VIII Gf Ability removal
« on: 2011-09-21 06:07:23 »
Anyone know where it is stored? i want to remove card mode from quezectol and give it to other GF or remove some Abilitys (Refine Time magic) for example, RandomNPC got the code but he is extremly bussy and cant answer my pms  ;D anyone know where does it stored please? 8-)

random_npc

• View Profile
Re: FF8 VIII Gf Ability removal
« Reply #1 on: 2011-09-21 12:35:51 »
... I didn't answer you because I haven't test it thoroughly yet. I did manage to change Siren's L Mag-RF to ST Mag-RF, so it looks promising.

in 'main', look for kernel.bin. G-Force table is in section 3, offset x0F78 to x17B7, lines are 132 bytes long. Among with other stuff, their base abilities (minus 'steal') are listed in there.

EDIT : by editing this table you can only change the abilities a GF can learn, not the ones they know already prior to joining your party. For example, Siren is supposed to have Mag-J already learned when you get her, and that ability is listed in the table. But if you edit the table and replace it with a Spr-J, the only thing that will change is that she will be able to learn Spr-J with APs, Mag-J will still be here & already learned. 

I suspect there is as well level&prior ability requirements in there, and that the order in witch they are listed is what the game will follow for learning them if you don't chose manually. (For example, SumMag+10% comes first)
« Last Edit: 2011-09-21 19:06:28 by random_npc »

evilmog6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-06-25 23:42:24 »
I know this is an old post, but it has the info I was looking for... except I am wondering if since this was posted if it has been solved how to remove an already learned ability, for, as in the example below removing Mag-J from Siren's list of known abilities at the start of the game, or Quetzalcoatl. Indeed just updating the values mentioned here, manually or with the beta Doomtrain tool, only updates what abilities they can learn in the future, so is it unknown where to edit to change the ones they already know or just I haven't searched well for it?

volvania

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-07 12:27:18 »
it is in the init out something file u can use the quezactol tool to adjust the ability from the start of the game

evilmog6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-10-08 13:10:05 »
Thank you for that. On that same topic... is there a good way to test changes to init.out? I mean... having to start up a whole new game every time after an edit is a complete nightmare. Especially since the opening movie seems to be the one fmv you can't replace with a dummy avi...

Girl next door

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-10-08 17:53:29 »
No and if you change GF abilities or character's levels, you'll have to play 'til you find them to check it. ^^ But you can trust Quetzacoatl, the changes I made work well. I've played my mod 'til FH and everything works well.